Savage XI Rosters/Commentary Topic

Posted by steelers821 on 5/9/2023 10:31:00 PM (view original):
Well I appreciated both your videos and everyone else who came on. I’m glad you guys liked my team for the most part I thought I did a really good job of putting the first 6 picks together. After that it went a little off the rails and dbck gave a tip I was mulling over but didn’t really have the guts to do before hearing it.
What was the tip?
5/9/2023 10:35 PM
Posted by dBKC on 5/9/2023 10:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by steelers821 on 5/9/2023 10:31:00 PM (view original):
Well I appreciated both your videos and everyone else who came on. I’m glad you guys liked my team for the most part I thought I did a really good job of putting the first 6 picks together. After that it went a little off the rails and dbck gave a tip I was mulling over but didn’t really have the guts to do before hearing it.
What was the tip?
I had Westbrook’s super season as a 20min backup on my high ft team but it makes a lot Morse to start him over Luka’s rookie season. Gave me a decent stat bump in a couple places.
5/9/2023 10:38 PM
Oh yeah Westbrook’s top season is killer. Like legit good good, not just “usable.” He was 2nd in MVP and led me to a 2 seed on the squad that had him last season, and I maxed his minutes out.
5/9/2023 10:39 PM
This is what’s frustrating for me in the savage. I probably spent around an hour a pick five or take them another 5 or so on building my team and I can confidently say I got nowhere near the 5 best rosters possible.
5/9/2023 10:40 PM
Posted by dBKC on 5/9/2023 10:39:00 PM (view original):
Oh yeah Westbrook’s top season is killer. Like legit good good, not just “usable.” He was 2nd in MVP and led me to a 2 seed on the squad that had him last season, and I maxed his minutes out.
Yeah liked Luka’s rookie season more than you guys it seemed but it’s not better than Westbrook’s season. You guys have some really good analysis. I wish you all would play in the 52 that’s about the only league I can make a decent team in.
5/9/2023 10:42 PM
Posted by steelers821 on 5/9/2023 10:42:00 PM (view original):
Yeah liked Luka’s rookie season more than you guys it seemed but it’s not better than Westbrook’s season. You guys have some really good analysis. I wish you all would play in the 52 that’s about the only league I can make a decent team in.
That's a dummy league.
5/9/2023 10:50 PM
Posted by robusk on 5/9/2023 10:59:00 PM (view original):
You know, not to be a curmudgeon but…
  • This community is the first to blast someone when the winner doesn’t do evals with like dozens of posts of complaints.
  • Yet, between the two videos we probably spent 4 hours of recording time and 20+ hours of editing time, both videos have a combined amount of 77 viewers over 4 days and get like 15 posts?
  • I spent like 20 hours working on the Savage Hall of Fame, there are over 1500 views in that thread and how many posts are from someone other than me? Maybe less than like 5-10?
  • I love this league and love what dh put together. But also I am not going to keep sinking so much time into this or keep responding to all these user requests if all the engagement is a one way street. This is stupid.
  • 99% of my Savage conversation happens via text with 4 other users because everyone else wants content but doesn’t want to contribute anything. I'd rather keep conversing with people who equally contribute.
  • This community is full of leaches, where 2% of people do 99% of the work. And the same people who do none of the work seem to do all of the complaining. That can be exhausting.
  • It’s all really frustrating and sometimes it can get to me. I tend to have bad days and good days and they are reflected in my posts because I am brutally transparent unfortunately.
Honestly, I feel like most of the time I post here no one responds so I question why I post at all, and consciously avoid over-posting (not to sound self-pitying lol, just explaining). There was a little more action on my ODL Evals, but not much. So like, I could write longer diaries on my draft thoughts, and I DO like when other owners do that, but I know no one's going to engage so what's the point?

I went pretty far back and read through the historical ODL and Savage threads to prep when I joined those leagues - enjoyable, didn't feel like homework at all - and I get the impression things got noticeably quieter right around when I joined. These days it seems like people post a lot about their own teams, but don't really engage much with others.

I know I'm part of that problem, because I usually don't have all that much to say about other peoples' teams. Partly because I don't have any good tools to evaluate other rosters (my own process as a non-developer is... painfully manual). Most of what I know about evaluating squads is what Ben showed in League Office during the live evals a year and a half or so back. Looking forward to watching video #2, there's been too much good ball on tonight for me to get to it so far, but hoping to get some new ideas!

Plus, as someone who's still relatively new to the community, I don't want to be the guy who shows his a** since while I've done fairly well, I'm still so wrong about so many things so often. Anyways, maybe I've been misreading the room. I certainly consistently appreciate what everyone else puts out there.
5/9/2023 11:07 PM
Posted by robusk on 5/9/2023 10:50:00 PM (view original):
That's a dummy league.
It’s more about creating the best team without having to worry to much about salary where I feel the ODL I’m just doing my best to survive the salary cap. Sometimes it’s fun to not play John Duren. I feel they both provide their own unique challenge.
5/9/2023 11:09 PM
Posted by raggedclaws on 5/9/2023 11:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 5/9/2023 10:59:00 PM (view original):
You know, not to be a curmudgeon but…
  • This community is the first to blast someone when the winner doesn’t do evals with like dozens of posts of complaints.
  • Yet, between the two videos we probably spent 4 hours of recording time and 20+ hours of editing time, both videos have a combined amount of 77 viewers over 4 days and get like 15 posts?
  • I spent like 20 hours working on the Savage Hall of Fame, there are over 1500 views in that thread and how many posts are from someone other than me? Maybe less than like 5-10?
  • I love this league and love what dh put together. But also I am not going to keep sinking so much time into this or keep responding to all these user requests if all the engagement is a one way street. This is stupid.
  • 99% of my Savage conversation happens via text with 4 other users because everyone else wants content but doesn’t want to contribute anything. I'd rather keep conversing with people who equally contribute.
  • This community is full of leaches, where 2% of people do 99% of the work. And the same people who do none of the work seem to do all of the complaining. That can be exhausting.
  • It’s all really frustrating and sometimes it can get to me. I tend to have bad days and good days and they are reflected in my posts because I am brutally transparent unfortunately.
Honestly, I feel like most of the time I post here no one responds so I question why I post at all, and consciously avoid over-posting (not to sound self-pitying lol, just explaining). There was a little more action on my ODL Evals, but not much. So like, I could write longer diaries on my draft thoughts, and I DO like when other owners do that, but I know no one's going to engage so what's the point?

I went pretty far back and read through the historical ODL and Savage threads to prep when I joined those leagues - enjoyable, didn't feel like homework at all - and I get the impression things got noticeably quieter right around when I joined. These days it seems like people post a lot about their own teams, but don't really engage much with others.

I know I'm part of that problem, because I usually don't have all that much to say about other peoples' teams. Partly because I don't have any good tools to evaluate other rosters (my own process as a non-developer is... painfully manual). Most of what I know about evaluating squads is what Ben showed in League Office during the live evals a year and a half or so back. Looking forward to watching video #2, there's been too much good ball on tonight for me to get to it so far, but hoping to get some new ideas!

Plus, as someone who's still relatively new to the community, I don't want to be the guy who shows his a** since while I've done fairly well, I'm still so wrong about so many things so often. Anyways, maybe I've been misreading the room. I certainly consistently appreciate what everyone else puts out there.
There was a transition period around then that was fairly painful because of one outspoken user who made evals painful: he craved being spoken about but went nuclear whenever anything said about him was not excessively praiseworthy. This was especially difficult because he was straight *** across formats.
5/9/2023 11:16 PM
My excuse filled post does remind me of this Mad Men exchange:

Don: What are you working on?
Peggy: Royal Hawaiian.
Don: How's that going?
Peggy: I'm sure you will tell me.
Don: I will. I'll look at it very carefully and then I'll formulate an educated opinion. You should try it sometime. It's what professionals do.
5/9/2023 11:17 PM
Posted by steelers821 on 5/9/2023 11:09:00 PM (view original):
That's a dummy league.
It’s more about creating the best team without having to worry to much about salary where I feel the ODL I’m just doing my best to survive the salary cap. Sometimes it’s fun to not play John Duren. I feel they both provide their own unique challenge.
Creating the best team without constraints is an elementary school problem. This is a big boy site.
5/9/2023 11:18 PM
I really do wish there was a draft league between 47-52. 52 seems like to much but I suppose it’s not worth changing.
5/9/2023 11:22 PM
Really enjoyed the video fellas, and I appreciate the feedback and kind words. Bob Gross segment was by far my favorite. I was not expecting it, it tickled me and caused me to lose Horse to my son. This was not the best Savage draft for myself, and probably my 2nd least favorite team I have drafted in Savage. Just hate the Simmons pick. Repulled all my teams and did another round of adjustments and yeah it still falls on that Simmons pick. We will see what happens, but I dont see a top 10 finish in my future, maybe 12-15 range. Hopefully I will be able to keep up with lineup adjustments throughout the season because I am going to need to get every win possible out of this squad. After my last adjustments, there is too many minutes from Smart, and suprisingly Rasheed. I would prefer a mulligan on the Bamba pick, I ended up using Sheed seasons to back up the 4 over Bamba. If a CJ season does not perform like I expect, I will end up getting more minutes out of Kyrie.
Player Starts Minutes
Dwight Howard 5 174
Kyrie Irving 2 112
Ben Simmons 4 122
Patrick Ewing 3 165
Al Horford 4 156
Bobby Portis 1 66
Tobias Harris 2 126
CJ McCollum 64
Mo Bamba 17
Gary Payton II 1 15
Marcus Smart 1 70
Rasheed Wallace 2 110
5/9/2023 11:24 PM (edited)
Posted by robusk on 5/9/2023 11:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by steelers821 on 5/9/2023 11:09:00 PM (view original):
That's a dummy league.
Creating the best team without constraints is an elementary school problem. This is a big boy site.
I would like to be fair to elementary schoolers. I teach a 4th/5th grade STEM class and we have constraints on every single project. Sometimes the constraints are the whole point.
5/9/2023 11:24 PM
Posted by robusk on 5/9/2023 1:12:00 PM (view original):
Okay, couple caveats on Episode 2:
  • it's a long one
  • we wanted to try and hit every team, if some of it seems negative it's because we all wanted to speak on every team and we all can't like every team - we seemed to have mixed views, no unanimous opinions which is good
  • there were things we liked and didn't like about every team
  • I am still very new at editing and filming so cut me some slack, I do not know wtf I am doing
https://youtu.be/MSsFOBofjdQ
Great stuff, and big thanks for all the insight. I think I'm fairly safe from relegation this season. I didn't try to copy jcred again, so I think my build ended up loads better than that shiite show from last season. Listening to you guys chop it up was really helpful, just in terms of specific thinking about this league.

Here's my draft recap:

I took Karl Malone at 12 because I made a solemn promise to myself after last season that I would take two big men with my first two picks. I've gotten it into my head that I win when I have take two big men early, and I lose when I don't. Quite a recipe for success, I must admit. Artis Gilmore is a suitable ingredient in that lazy, broke-*** recipe, so there you have it. Plus, I didn't even realize that fouls were a significant part of the WIS game until recently (they aren't on the advanced stats tab, so I basically ignored them). Also, drafting is much easier if you just take fouls out of the equation, so welcome aboard, A-Train!

I figured I now needed guards and 3's and defense, so welcome Manu and Chauncey. I have all these echoes of past critiques I read on various forum posts switling around in my head...Chauncey is overrated? Manu at the point is legit? I remember butchering Manu one year in the ODL with Barkley, but there are already so many memories of hack jobs of the past already in my brief WIS career, I can't let that deter me from my goal of not finishing 24th again.

Faried and Andersen felt like picks I would make if I was Jackedjamie or some ****, so I felt good about them. Plus, if I know one thing for sure about these leagues it's that rebounding is very helpful. Right or wrong, that's been my biggest takeaway of this mediocre run of the past 18 months.

Mookie was a pick I loved when I made it. I got him two rounds later than he usually goes, and I thought for sure it was Moncrief that Rob hated, not Mookie...I knew he hated Cheeks, that one was burned into my melon, but I mixed up Mookie and Moncrief. Welcome, Mookie!

I figured at some point during my builds I would find myself balled up in the corner, cold and shivering, and Green was the type of guy that would make me feel like maybe everything wasn't broken. Korver was just a pick because I got nervous about having enough threes. Brandon and Biyombo were both value picks I took because Rob and Ben took them in previous drafts. Beasley is only playing three minutes total, but when I just double-checked that to confim, I realized I managed to not pick his best year for those three minutes. Wheeeeee!

5/9/2023 11:29 PM
◂ Prev 1...19|20|21|22|23...42 Next ▸
Savage XI Rosters/Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.