Savage XI Rosters/Commentary Topic

Makes sense. I have a lot of patience for life stuff, and try to always keep things in perspective, but with this league and this group of obsessives, you never know when guys are angling for some extra 1% advatage, so I figured I'd ask. Cheers, everybody!
5/8/2023 7:19 PM
I am one of those not in and it is definitely a life happens deal. I don't think I have anything to gain by a delay, just one of those things. It will probably be Wednesday for me.
5/9/2023 12:38 AM
Posted by berkelon on 5/8/2023 7:19:00 PM (view original):
Makes sense. I have a lot of patience for life stuff, and try to always keep things in perspective, but with this league and this group of obsessives, you never know when guys are angling for some extra 1% advatage, so I figured I'd ask. Cheers, everybody!
I'm on the record as someone who does not sweat slow picks during the draft or people taking time to build their teams. Savage is awesome, savor it. It would be great if owners like berkelon applied this same sense of understanding and patience during the draft as you do people getting teams in. Multiple owners have said "life gets in the way" as the reason taking time to get teams in and I think that is a very fair reason. But that never flies during a draft.
5/9/2023 9:23 AM
I was in, but in the course of 4 builds, mixed up my Josh Smith seasons and have to start number five.
5/9/2023 12:07 PM
Posted by jcred5 on 5/9/2023 9:23:00 AM (view original):
Posted by berkelon on 5/8/2023 7:19:00 PM (view original):
I'm on the record as someone who does not sweat slow picks during the draft or people taking time to build their teams. Savage is awesome, savor it. It would be great if owners like berkelon applied this same sense of understanding and patience during the draft as you do people getting teams in. Multiple owners have said "life gets in the way" as the reason taking time to get teams in and I think that is a very fair reason. But that never flies during a draft.
I can personally attest to being guilty of accosting people for slow drafting and not caring when people are slow to enter teams... without having any valid explanation for why one and not the other.

At least this time it is because I am all tied up with these damn videos.
5/9/2023 12:51 PM
Okay, couple caveats on Episode 2:
  • it's a long one
  • we wanted to try and hit every team, if some of it seems negative it's because we all wanted to speak on every team and we all can't like every team - we seemed to have mixed views, no unanimous opinions which is good
  • there were things we liked and didn't like about every team
  • I am still very new at editing and filming so cut me some slack, I do not know wtf I am doing
https://youtu.be/MSsFOBofjdQ
5/9/2023 1:12 PM
Posted by robusk on 5/9/2023 1:12:00 PM (view original):
Okay, couple caveats on Episode 2:
  • it's a long one
  • we wanted to try and hit every team, if some of it seems negative it's because we all wanted to speak on every team and we all can't like every team - we seemed to have mixed views, no unanimous opinions which is good
  • there were things we liked and didn't like about every team
  • I am still very new at editing and filming so cut me some slack, I do not know wtf I am doing
https://youtu.be/MSsFOBofjdQ
Code:

PB&J was drunk, stupid, or both during the draft. LMAO!!!!
5/9/2023 2:12 PM
Finally got to the first video - I think my bachelor party being last weekend is a pretty good excuse :) Awesome job Rob and Ben.

For the record, you're probably right about SGA over Mitchell - I am still fine tuning how I evaluate late guards, which I've done a mediocre/poor job of historically. Though being able to plug in the full new Mitchell season for Dame's worst is still something I'm excited about, and SGA got hit much harder by era adjusted shooting this year than Donovan, last year too.

You're certainly right that I had an epic playoff choke-job last year. Not to defer responsibility, and I forget if I said this before, but I think I put together a lot of high floor, low ceiling squads (my mediocre PyWins seemed to support this - let's call it the Too Much Bellamy effect).
5/9/2023 3:08 PM
Posted by raggedclaws on 5/9/2023 3:08:00 PM (view original):
Finally got to the first video - I think my bachelor party being last weekend is a pretty good excuse :) Awesome job Rob and Ben.

For the record, you're probably right about SGA over Mitchell - I am still fine tuning how I evaluate late guards, which I've done a mediocre/poor job of historically. Though being able to plug in the full new Mitchell season for Dame's worst is still something I'm excited about, and SGA got hit much harder by era adjusted shooting this year than Donovan, last year too.

You're certainly right that I had an epic playoff choke-job last year. Not to defer responsibility, and I forget if I said this before, but I think I put together a lot of high floor, low ceiling squads (my mediocre PyWins seemed to support this - let's call it the Too Much Bellamy effect).
Mitchell is good and definitely worth taking at that spot, I’m just being an SGA homer. Congrats btw!
5/9/2023 3:32 PM

Oh it was YOUR bachelor party? Woh dude, I did not know that. Congrats!!!!!
5/9/2023 4:20 PM
Posted by robusk on 5/9/2023 4:20:00 PM (view original):

Oh it was YOUR bachelor party? Woh dude, I did not know that. Congrats!!!!!
Yuup. T-minus 46 to the big day.

We had a nice long weekend in Denver - was hoping we'd catch a home Nugs game but found a watch bar for game 3 Friday night.
5/9/2023 5:17 PM
Great video! Appreciate the props, and the predictions.

This is definitely a bit of a tight rope walk.

-I’ve got 3 teams coming in between 58.5-59% efg. I’m thinking this will lead the league. During Savage IV, I grabbed Steph and built a 2-dominant team build. Those teams were around 57.5%. So this is quite a jump from that.
-The downside is overall team defense is 60-62. This is awful, and I can’t recall ever running defense this low. Maybe in a single season progressive. That said, is 60 enough to create some eFG separation?
-Rebounds are average (130% creb or so). I think I’ll be able to be neutral here

-Josh Giddey and Lamelo Ball! My stealth backup Pgs. Love their huge rebounding numbers to help bring that to average. Dbkc was correct in how bad Nash/Green are as a rebounding backcourt.
Giddey 22-23 season is 51% efg, 22 Ast, 25+ creb at pg. He’s part of the Russ/Josh Smith club and I think has sneaky value. The assist drop is steep from Nash but I’ll
Maintain 50%+. I’ve gotten into a habit of sacrificing assists and getting by on the bear minimum.

-In the end, I could see a spectacular blow up and a bottom 12 finish as Ben predicts. It’s fair. Honestly, this is a true test of the lower defensive bounds. I have a feeling I can get to 7-10th. I don’t think this will be a year that I win. I’d love to snag at least 1 title.
5/9/2023 6:27 PM
You know, not to be a curmudgeon but…
  • This community is the first to blast someone when the winner doesn’t do evals with like dozens of posts of complaints.
  • Yet, between the two videos we probably spent 4 hours of recording time and 20+ hours of editing time, both videos have a combined amount of 77 viewers over 4 days and get like 15 posts?
  • I spent like 20 hours working on the Savage Hall of Fame, there are over 1500 views in that thread and how many posts are from someone other than me? Maybe less than like 5-10?
  • I love this league and love what dh put together. But also I am not going to keep sinking so much time into this or keep responding to all these user requests if all the engagement is a one way street. This is stupid.
  • 99% of my Savage conversation happens via text with 4 other users because everyone else wants content but doesn’t want to contribute anything. I'd rather keep conversing with people who equally contribute.
  • This community is full of consumers, where 2% of people do 99% of the work. And the same people who do none of the work seem to do all of the complaining. That can be exhausting.
  • It’s all really frustrating and sometimes it can get to me. I tend to have bad days and good days and they are reflected in my posts because I am brutally transparent unfortunately. But still, this community complains when they don't get something and crickets when they do get it... it is easy to understand the frustration I think and it isn't unique to this video series. I mean, hell, Ben was cranking out thousands of pages of content for a while in early Savages to equal amounts of crickets.
5/10/2023 7:18 AM (edited)
Posted by jkaye24 on 5/9/2023 6:29:00 PM (view original):
Great video! Appreciate the props, and the predictions.

This is definitely a bit of a tight rope walk.

-I’ve got 3 teams coming in between 58.5-59% efg. I’m thinking this will lead the league. During Savage IV, I grabbed Steph and built a 2-dominant team build. Those teams were around 57.5%. So this is quite a jump from that.
-The downside is overall team defense is 60-62. This is awful, and I can’t recall ever running defense this low. Maybe in a single season progressive. That said, is 60 enough to create some eFG separation?
-Rebounds are average (130% creb or so). I think I’ll be able to be neutral here

-Josh Giddey and Lamelo Ball! My stealth backup Pgs. Love their huge rebounding numbers to help bring that to average. Dbkc was correct in how bad Nash/Green are as a rebounding backcourt.
Giddey 22-23 season is 51% efg, 22 Ast, 25+ creb at pg. He’s part of the Russ/Josh Smith club and I think has sneaky value. The assist drop is steep from Nash but I’ll
Maintain 50%+. I’ve gotten into a habit of sacrificing assists and getting by on the bear minimum.

-In the end, I could see a spectacular blow up and a bottom 12 finish as Ben predicts. It’s fair. Honestly, this is a true test of the lower defensive bounds. I have a feeling I can get to 7-10th. I don’t think this will be a year that I win. I’d love to snag at least 1 title.
I respect it a lot, mostly because it’s what I really want to do but was too chicken to do, but also because I actually think you can pull it off. It’s a fun squad. Thanks for replying to our vid, I can see things a little more clearly. 2 seasons Giddey and 3 seasons of Ball to make sure you always have a rebounding PG behind Nash. I can dig it.
5/9/2023 10:30 PM
Well I appreciated both your videos and everyone else who came on. I’m glad you guys liked my team for the most part I thought I did a really good job of putting the first 6 picks together. After that it went a little off the rails and dbck gave a tip I was mulling over but didn’t really have the guts to do before hearing it.
5/9/2023 10:31 PM
◂ Prev 1...18|19|20|21|22...42 Next ▸
Savage XI Rosters/Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.