Savage X Rosters/Commentary Topic

That was excellent.
2/11/2023 12:26 AM
LOVE the evals! Very cool format and well thought out!

I can understand the thoughts about Dirk, but I in no way think he ruined my team. I damn near took Stoudamire, but went with Dirk instead because with Tree, Moses & Rodman at that point, I didn't like the thought of ANOTHER low post scorer who can't stretch the D. Dirk has a good eFG but also shoots a decent amount of 3's. He's pretty much the definition of the original "stretch four" guy. PLUS, ONE of the Rodman seasons I chose is pretty much only a PF and I wouldn't want to use him at the 3, so Nowitzki has one good season where he was a 97% at SF, and I plan on starting Dirk at the 3 on that team. I know Amare had one season at 98% at the 3, but far less minutes or effectiveness than Dirk with that season. I'm sure if you were compiling the give teams as we go like I did, you would understand my mentality and it would make a lot of sense.

Other than that, I appreciate all the comments. As for Rick Barry, obviously he won't play a lot but he has one season where he went to the line 16 times per 48...one of the top ten rates of all time. He will play about 12-14 mins a game in the league where Moses, Kobe & Dirk all went to the line the most in their careers, so I'm hoping for a few wins by putting opponents in foul trouble. Barry also is a 98%+ at the 1-4 positions on four of my 5 teams, so in the event of MY getting in foul trouble, I'd be set with a HOF player coming onto the floor for a few minutes.

This will be a fun team for me to manage!
2/11/2023 1:39 AM
Posted by berkelon on 2/10/2023 11:57:00 PM (view original):
Explain yourself...

I have some serious imposter syndrome going on here. I don't quite believe all this exists, but you 40 or so nerds prove it to be so. I know I'm not giving the process enough time, that's for sure. But I do love it so I give it what I can. Just for context, most picks were made with about 15 min or so of thought. I'm definitely quitting some of these more random leagues so I can spend more time on this obsessive sh@t. Without further adieu...here's my lukewarm offering...

I saw I got the 19 pick. Oh, snap, I got to take Bird at 19. Just like jcred. He won the whole thing picking Brid at 19. Sweet. I'll just copy him! This is going to be straightforward. It's a cheap move, but whatever. Bird and Dr. J and Mutombo and Vuc...Got it...oh, Dr, J got picked? Oh. Oscar is the closest thing to Dr. J that I can see, but I can't see very far. And that's sad, since Oscar is obviously NOT Dr. J. Copying jcred is harder than I thought it would be.

Next pick I'm thinking I need low usage defense and rebounding. If there's one thing I think I've learned in these leagues, it's efg% and rebounding and defense...and don't turn it over...and shoot the 3...and don't commit too many fouls...get your usage dialed in...it appears there are many things to consider. So I take Camby.

Now I'm scared that I got three guys who don't have great efg%, and I know efg% matters a lot...so John Collins it is (Again, jcred's pick, Vuc, is not available. At this point I finally become rooted in reality and accept that I will not be copying jcred, since the only thing I have in common with him after four rounds is Larry Legend).

Next is lots of fear that I'll be too small and I won;t have enough efg%. Enter Javale McGee. Seems sweet.

Wait, do I have enough usage? I never really know. Should I reread Ash's post about usage? I think I remember him saying something about more usage is better, even though that ran counter to his hypothesis. Where did I save those usage tiers? Is is 22.7% and 32%? I don't quite know, but life is a good part art, right? Here's some art. I'm not going to spend the 6 minutes finding the info. Art, yo.

I take Brad Beal for clean usage and hope it's not a mistake. On a separate note, will I ever get to really tell my wife about this hobby? (She knows what I'm doing, but doesn't care much. It could be worse, bur we're not talking shop at the dinner table).

Oh, no, defense....John Henson. He plays D. Next!

Speaking of defense, I want more at G, especially since I just took Beal. I also want more 3's. a 3 and D guy, I guess you'd call him. Pat Beverley seems reasonable.

Except I have no interior scoring. I need a big who can score with high EFG and decent usage. Rebounds would be nice, too. Muresan feels like just what I need, but I'm sure I've already made enough subtle mistakes to hamstring this team into the middle of the pack. Also taking Muresan just feels wrong. I don't want that goofy energy, but what can I do? It's him or Yao, and they're both goofy. I'll get over it.

Hield, Sanders, Battier - Hield is my Beal handcuff and the guy who guarantees I don't end up thinking "I wish I had more usage and scoring." Sanders is just anxiety about my lack of defense. Battier is glue and 3's and D and positional flexibility. Did I mention the imposter syndrome?

Love this league the most. Not even close. Cheers, everybody!

Will
Well done. If "talking shop" is our WIS hoops addiction, I'd like to hear from anyone who does that at the dinner table. The popularity of Fantasy Football has actually helped me. Even my wife knows about Fantasy Football. I play it with my kids, Father In Law, nephews, etc. So that allows me to refer to this as "fantasy basketball" and it gets less questions....
2/11/2023 9:46 AM
Same with me jcred. I have played Fantasy Football for the past 30 yrs, and my wife, family & friends discuss it with me often. My wife knew that Austin Ekeler was my key player and first round pick in The Big Money League ( which I won this year btw ) I also vaguely refer to WIS as fantasy basketball , and it is rarely discussed LOL
2/11/2023 10:12 AM (edited)
Explain yourself...

I have some serious imposter syndrome going on here. I don't quite believe all this exists, but you 40 or so nerds prove it to be so. I know I'm not giving the process enough time, that's for sure. But I do love it so I give it what I can. Just for context, most picks were made with about 15 min or so of thought. I'm definitely quitting some of these more random leagues so I can spend more time on this obsessive sh@t. Without further adieu...here's my lukewarm offering...

I saw I got the 19 pick. Oh, snap, I got to take Bird at 19. Just like jcred. He won the whole thing picking Brid at 19. Sweet. I'll just copy him! This is going to be straightforward. It's a cheap move, but whatever. Bird and Dr. J and Mutombo and Vuc...Got it...oh, Dr, J got picked? Oh. Oscar is the closest thing to Dr. J that I can see, but I can't see very far. And that's sad, since Oscar is obviously NOT Dr. J. Copying jcred is harder than I thought it would be.

Next pick I'm thinking I need low usage defense and rebounding. If there's one thing I think I've learned in these leagues, it's efg% and rebounding and defense...and don't turn it over...and shoot the 3...and don't commit too many fouls...get your usage dialed in...it appears there are many things to consider. So I take Camby.

Now I'm scared that I got three guys who don't have great efg%, and I know efg% matters a lot...so John Collins it is (Again, jcred's pick, Vuc, is not available. At this point I finally become rooted in reality and accept that I will not be copying jcred, since the only thing I have in common with him after four rounds is Larry Legend).

Next is lots of fear that I'll be too small and I won;t have enough efg%. Enter Javale McGee. Seems sweet.

Wait, do I have enough usage? I never really know. Should I reread Ash's post about usage? I think I remember him saying something about more usage is better, even though that ran counter to his hypothesis. Where did I save those usage tiers? Is is 22.7% and 32%? I don't quite know, but life is a good part art, right? Here's some art. I'm not going to spend the 6 minutes finding the info. Art, yo.

I take Brad Beal for clean usage and hope it's not a mistake. On a separate note, will I ever get to really tell my wife about this hobby? (She knows what I'm doing, but doesn't care much. It could be worse, bur we're not talking shop at the dinner table).

Speaking of defense, I want more at G, especially since I just took Beal. I also want more 3's. a 3 and D guy, I guess you'd call him. Pat Beverley seems reasonable.

Except I have no interior scoring. I need a big who can score with high EFG and decent usage. Rebounds would be nice, too. Muresan feels like just what I need, but I'm sure I've already made enough subtle mistakes to hamstring this team into the middle of the pack. Also taking Muresan just feels wrong. I don't want that goofy energy, but what can I do? It's him or Yao, and they're both goofy. I'll get over it.

Hield, Sanders, Battier - Hield is my Beal handcuff and the guy who guarantees I don't end up thinking "I wish I had more usage and scoring." Sanders is just anxiety about my lack of defense. Battier is glue and 3's and D and positional flexibility. Did I mention the imposter syndrome?

Will
If it comes up with my wife, it’s called “fantasy fantasy basketball.” Which is funny because I am not even sure she knows what regular fantasy basketball is. She just knows it is something to do with basketball and spreadsheets. As long as I don’t check my phone too much during family time, there is no fuss.

I think you are gonna figure it out. I see the gears turning and it is clear you understand the mechanics. You made a lot of good picks.

I’ve been out of all leagues besides Savage and ODL for a long time now.
2/11/2023 10:58 AM
Only one day of Jacksonville quarantine left!
2/11/2023 10:59 AM
My dad and I went to Jacksonville for my nineteenth birthday, which coincided with both a Lynyrd Skynyrd fan club event and a hurricane. The hurricane didn’t end up hitting us directly - just went by close enough to cause all sorts of ****** weather and some minor damage - but the end result was a hurricane party in someone’s hotel room.

I swear there were fifty rednecks squeezed into that room, accompanied by six joints being passed around and six acoustic guitars, none of which were in tune. All of us sang about every Skynyrd song we knew, which meant all of them since it was a fan club event, and I remember specifically my dad making a beer run at 2am when the storm was at its strongest with some guy I simply knew as Bong.

I have a picture somewhere with a lovely lady from the club at the Free Bird Cafe. In the background, you can see a tree blowing almost sideways. I met a lot of cool people in person that weekend. It was the first time I had met anybody from online in person, and I met like fifty at once. Sadly, I’m no longer in contact with any of the “Frynds,” as we called ourselves. Maybe I should look up a few of them.

Or maybe I should finish my teams.
2/11/2023 6:04 PM
Great story ash.
2/11/2023 6:08 PM
Wishing you good vibes tomorrow dh.
2/11/2023 6:08 PM
Posted by robusk on 2/11/2023 6:08:00 PM (view original):
appreciate it....should be a great game

i feel pretty confident but mahomes still terrifies me
2/11/2023 6:27 PM
Ouch, I see how it is
2/11/2023 6:28 PM
Posted by dBKC on 2/11/2023 6:28:00 PM (view original):
Ouch, I see how it is
americas team

2/11/2023 6:32 PM
Posted by jcred5 on 2/11/2023 9:46:00 AM (view original):
Explain yourself...

Will
Well done. If "talking shop" is our WIS hoops addiction, I'd like to hear from anyone who does that at the dinner table. The popularity of Fantasy Football has actually helped me. Even my wife knows about Fantasy Football. I play it with my kids, Father In Law, nephews, etc. So that allows me to refer to this as "fantasy basketball" and it gets less questions....
My wife know this is What if...my fantasy basketball stuff is different.

One league I am in I just refer to as the League of Evil. Twelve people from all over the globe and most of us with differing ethnic backgrounds throwing horrible pejoratives at each other all of the time. We've been in the league together now for seven years, so we all like each other but we talk enormous amounts of junk at each other. KG, Bird, and Reggie would all blush.
2/11/2023 6:48 PM
My wife is okay with me playing simulated basketball. She hates sports and she just leaves me to it. What she didn't like was when I used to play Strat-o-Matic baseball. I think it goes back to the time I got an unlucky roll of the dice and threw my twenty sided die through the living room window. Kerchunk!
2/11/2023 10:05 PM
I'm watching an NBA game on TV right now and Kevon Looney and Jarred Vanderbilt are both playing and neither one of them is playing guard. Imagine that.
2/11/2023 10:42 PM
◂ Prev 1...14|15|16|17|18...32 Next ▸
Savage X Rosters/Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.