Savage X Rosters/Commentary Topic

Posted by jcred5 on 2/7/2023 9:16:00 AM (view original):
Ty84moss:
Steph Curry would probably be my 3rd ranked pick, but he could be the most fun to build around. He has some of the best shooting seasons in the sim. Sometimes a good PG and solid defender. Jrue Holiday is a bit of a bold pick here and I kind of like it. Great guards are a little hard to come by and you have two. They defensively complement each other. But it’s a risk, very light on boards and forces you into the front court. I think the Jarrett Allen hype has gone a little too far. His best season is about 26 mpg, he’s not a top notch or even good defender. Rebounds are fine, definitely like the eFG and pretty good TO’s. In the 4th round I can like it, a bit early here I think. Donyell Marshall would have been interesting here. Maybe Gasol. I like Gerard Wallace, but now I’m wondering what’s going on. Maybe Jrue will back up Steph or vice versa and Wallace can play the two for his best 3 or so seasons. Emeka Okafor is fine, but this team is lacking defense. Rebounds are ok, shooting is good. But if you don’t get some stops you’re in trouble. Paul Millsap is good here. Pretty sure you can get 5 seasons at SF here of good D, boards and solid shooting. TO’s are nice too. DeAndre Ayton is pretty good player in Savage in the 7th round, but not for your team. You’re short on D and passing and he doesn’t help either. Ivica Zubac’s has been a sought after average big man for several seasons, for good reason. He should fit in with Allen and Okafor.
Nate McMillan – assists and D, here we go! This is a good pick and I like him next to Curry. Myles Turner is also an interesting player and gives some D, but I wonder how much he can play with all the front court players. Tony Parker I’m not sure about. As a Steph back up I like him, but I’m losing track of what’s going on with your guards. I worry you’ll be playing Wallace at SF. Taj Gibson is a good roll player in this league and he can help behind Millsap.
Final thoughts: Steph and Holiday is a fun start, but drafting 2 or 3 guards in the first 4 picks can make a tough build. I think the defense is lacking a bit and you’ll score and get boards, but I think you’re assists are a bit low as well.
Draft Grade: C-
Best value pick: Zubac
Head scratching pick: Jarrett Allen
Projection: In the 20’s
This team was peculiar. I like Jrue, Allen, Zubac, Millsap, Ayton all fine. But they all went way too early. Allen is a 6th rounder imo. Millsap probably 8-10. Zubac 10-12. Jrue is a mid 3rd rounder imo (Ben and I disagree on his fifth season). Ayton is an 11th or 12th rounder. ty84moss is one of the smarter new coaches to come around in a while... but I think he got caught up in player performance and lost sight of when it was the right time to take the players.

That being said, this draft was crazy and way more unpredictable than most. It was hard to rely on stable draft positions.
2/8/2023 11:17 AM

Rob had the blueprint a couple seasons back with teams that maximized possessions to get the most out of Jordan

Can't be the blueprint if I didn't win.

And Mookie I think is undervalued in Savage

I am pretty low on him, maybe 6-8th but even 6th would feel like a stretch.
2/8/2023 11:21 AM
Posted by robusk on 2/8/2023 11:17:00 AM (view original):
Ty84moss:
Steph Curry would probably be my 3rd ranked pick, but he could be the most fun to build around. He has some of the best shooting seasons in the sim. Sometimes a good PG and solid defender. Jrue Holiday is a bit of a bold pick here and I kind of like it. Great guards are a little hard to come by and you have two. They defensively complement each other. But it’s a risk, very light on boards and forces you into the front court. I think the Jarrett Allen hype has gone a little too far. His best season is about 26 mpg, he’s not a top notch or even good defender. Rebounds are fine, definitely like the eFG and pretty good TO’s. In the 4th round I can like it, a bit early here I think. Donyell Marshall would have been interesting here. Maybe Gasol. I like Gerard Wallace, but now I’m wondering what’s going on. Maybe Jrue will back up Steph or vice versa and Wallace can play the two for his best 3 or so seasons. Emeka Okafor is fine, but this team is lacking defense. Rebounds are ok, shooting is good. But if you don’t get some stops you’re in trouble. Paul Millsap is good here. Pretty sure you can get 5 seasons at SF here of good D, boards and solid shooting. TO’s are nice too. DeAndre Ayton is pretty good player in Savage in the 7th round, but not for your team. You’re short on D and passing and he doesn’t help either. Ivica Zubac’s has been a sought after average big man for several seasons, for good reason. He should fit in with Allen and Okafor.
Nate McMillan – assists and D, here we go! This is a good pick and I like him next to Curry. Myles Turner is also an interesting player and gives some D, but I wonder how much he can play with all the front court players. Tony Parker I’m not sure about. As a Steph back up I like him, but I’m losing track of what’s going on with your guards. I worry you’ll be playing Wallace at SF. Taj Gibson is a good roll player in this league and he can help behind Millsap.
Final thoughts: Steph and Holiday is a fun start, but drafting 2 or 3 guards in the first 4 picks can make a tough build. I think the defense is lacking a bit and you’ll score and get boards, but I think you’re assists are a bit low as well.
This team was peculiar. I like Jrue, Allen, Zubac, Millsap, Ayton all fine. But they all went way too early. Allen is a 6th rounder imo. Millsap probably 8-10. Zubac 10-12. Jrue is a mid 3rd rounder imo (Ben and I disagree on his fifth season). Ayton is an 11th or 12th rounder. ty84moss is one of the smarter new coaches to come around in a while... but I think he got caught up in player performance and lost sight of when it was the right time to take the players.

That being said, this draft was crazy and way more unpredictable than most. It was hard to rely on stable draft positions.
Even though there was plenty of criticism (for good reason), I really enjoy reading the various feedback. Rob, your last paragraph is spot on. I recall Berkelon mentioning at one point that his draft would have been totally different if he picked 5 spots sooner. I felt the same. After going Curry/Jrue, I felt like I was constantly trying to play catch up with rebounding/bigs, and things just didnt fall the right way for me.

The Allen/Wallace picks were not ejoyable, but I am curious to hear maybe who you would have selected in my spot in rounds 3/4. Looking at all the players that went after me in round 4, even if I could do it over again, I'm not sure who I would change to. FWIW, I was planning on taking Lucas in round 4.

Thanks for the time Jcred and Rob!
2/8/2023 1:27 PM
Posted by ty84moss on 2/8/2023 1:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 2/8/2023 11:17:00 AM (view original):
Ty84moss:

Even though there was plenty of criticism (for good reason), I really enjoy reading the various feedback. Rob, your last paragraph is spot on. I recall Berkelon mentioning at one point that his draft would have been totally different if he picked 5 spots sooner. I felt the same. After going Curry/Jrue, I felt like I was constantly trying to play catch up with rebounding/bigs, and things just didnt fall the right way for me.

The Allen/Wallace picks were not ejoyable, but I am curious to hear maybe who you would have selected in my spot in rounds 3/4. Looking at all the players that went after me in round 4, even if I could do it over again, I'm not sure who I would change to. FWIW, I was planning on taking Lucas in round 4.

Thanks for the time Jcred and Rob!
It's a fair question. Curry was probably the right pick. I might have gone something like
Kemp instead of Jrue
Moncrief instead of Allen
D Marshall instead of G Wallace

There are obviously no right answers, but I like a Curry/Moncrief/Marshall/Kemp start a good bit more than a Curry/Holiday/G Wallace/J Allen start. That is just a back of the napkin glance though, there could be something better than that.
2/8/2023 2:11 PM
Posted by jcred5 on 2/7/2023 9:15:00 AM (view original):
First chunk of evals. I'm posting individually because I'm close to half way through and may want to adjust my predictions having not looked at all the rosters.

Pbandj:
For many seasons I thought picking high in savage was an advantage. 10 seasons in I’m not so sure. Having to wait 72 picks for your 3rd player is tough, Lebron certainly helps with that. Not much to say about the first pick, amerk took Wilt here last time but LeBron is the consensus #1 pick. High efficiency shooting with volume is one of the hardest things to get, and to get with D, reb, ast, low TO’s and position flex makes him the perfect start to build flexibly. I like Mutombo here. 4 or 5 100 D seasons with solid rebounds and eFG. Draymond is interesting here. The positive is you’re pretty much done with assists and can stack up what you want/need at SG. Great defender, has a couple seasons he hits 3’s and if you can swing it – even a PG eligible season. The negative is the TO’s. Not a very high usage player so maybe you can get away with it if you build well. I’ve always been a little intrigued by Parish. At times a good or bad defenders, good to very good rebounds. Pretty good TO’s and an effective mid range usage guy with good eFG. I’ll be interested to see which seasons you use – he does have one or two 99% PF seasons that is a small price with Mutombo.
Initially didn’t love Lavine here. I get you need some scoring, understand the appeal of 3’s, probably needed some usage. And with LeBron, Draymond and Dikembe you have a good D foundation. But I’d have considered a better rebounder and defender. Someone like Gerald Wallace comes to mind but he was gone. Marques Johnson would have been interesting here, even an Otto Porter type. Looking more closely at Lavine I like him a little more. Mostly low TO’s, more assists aren’t a bad thing and he has one fantastic shooting seasons and some other good ones. More assists and bad D coming with Domantas Sabonis. Like Lavine he scores effectively and often, good boards. Maybe he starts a season or two over Parish, not sure. Good back up but the bad defenders are adding up. Insert Jose Calderon! It’s hard to find defenders this late in the draft, you usually have to sacrifice something to get one. A guard who doesn’t pass or a front court player with lower rebounds. 3 poor defenders in row, but a lot of offense.
Mikal Bridges is a new pick, his 90 D season next to LeBron, Draymond and Mutombo will be a tough team for sure. Other season are nice with less defense. Boerwinkle is a nice Mutombo back up. The only thing I don’t love is that his best seasons wont use all his minutes because he and Mutombo can’t play PF, so not ideal there. Joe Ingles is another good shooter with good passing, but a below average defender in this league and turns the ball over a lot. Brandon Ingram is a good value pick, nice bench usage with low TO’s who rebounds and passes for a couple seasons. Mark Jackson here is curious. It’s just a 12th pick but I’d have thought you had plenty of assists already. Maybe there’s a season or two you like him backing up PG more than Calderon I guess.
Final thoughts: In your second savage I like this team better. You made some nice improvements and while LeBron is great, it’s not easy to build a team having to wait so long on the 2nd and 3rd picks. I like you’re core of LeBron, Mutombo and Draymond and some of the pieces. Interested to see if you can make it work.
Draft Grade: C
Best value pick: LeBron!
Head scratching pick: Lavine
Projection: 12-15
First things first, thank you for the time you have put into this. I'm still trying to find my sea legs here again (admittedly, even when I was very active here years ago I was not always a consistently strong draft performer...but I love the concept), getting your evaluation helps me understand the mindset of some of the best players here.

To explain...I was praying to get Draymond here. I already knew which seasons I wanted to use of his more than I knew the five LeBron seasons I wanted to use. I know it sounds stupid, but I was geeked to get him. Parish is almost exclusively my PF...I'm using seasons where he is at minimum 98% effective at PF. Lavine is there for all the reasons you said, but he will come off the bench exclusively. I've had a lot of issues with individual penalties in the last couple of months with not assigning the proper amount of usage to my bench, and I was trying to curb this. Sabonis is a guy I love in real life and I have a things for bigs that can pass (more on this later). Sabonis will start on a couple of teams at PF. Calderon will be starting at SG on most of my teams. His shooting and assists were what I was looking for and I feel that LeBron and Dray can help cover for him some. Mikal Bridges is kinda obvious I guess. Of his four seasons one won't see the light of day, two will be used but not fully, and one will start. Boerwinkle gave me some flexibility with seasons I could choose and let me go to that passing big thing that I love. I have always lamented how Bill Walton's career turned out and that he was never coached by Phil Jackson so he and Tex could've run the triangle through him. Joe Ingles won't play a lot and Ingram is there for all the reasons you said if Ingram wasn't there it would've been King because of how much I always loved Bernard. Mark Jackson gives me a few minutes off the bench with high assists and I must admit that he is another guy that I have always had a soft spot for.

The theme for my team name should give a clear idea that I am going into this without a hint of pride or assumption that I figured anything out. LOL

Thanks again brother.
2/8/2023 3:12 PM
dBKC
One of the most successful Savage owners starts off with Kevin Durant. I’ll discuss more in my own eval, but I traded up in hopes of getting him. He has 3 seasons I think are a must at SG and then maybe a 4th at SG or SF if you prefer and I’d say the 5th at SF. Gives some flexibility to roster construction. Top usage, often a very good or great eFG with ++ TS%. Great rebounds at SG, still good at SF – vice versa with assists. Good TO% and good with maybe a great D season or two. One of the few players in Savage who gets you a lot of 3’s at no other cost. With SG a bit lean, I think he’s very valuable. Tyson Chandler is a good safe pick for Durant. Very good D, usually good rebounds and great eFG. Bill Walton is a great pick, most of us know what Walton does. His minutes are a bit low but in the 3rd round next to Chandler he fits very nicely. Ben Simmons slides to the mid 4th, possibly with the increased focus on managing your TO’s. Simmons will hurt you there, but he helps a lot in other valuable areas. Very good eFG with a TS% hit. Great rebounds and very good assists. Defense is excellent. I can see why there’d be hesitation in the 3rd and db takes advantage of that by grabbing him in the 4th. Mitchell Robinson is back in the 5th round and fits nice with Walton in terms of giving defense and complimentary minutes. Low rebounds, but low TO’s too and very high eFG.
Russell Westbrook as been more successful in Savage than I’d have expected. He can be overwhelming with his rebounds, usage and assists. Sometimes it goes sideways, but I’ve seen it successful in small doses with the right pairings. Andrew Bynum is another good front court addition, chipping in with Chandler and Robinson. Anthony Mason must be playing SF He has a few seasons when KD plays SG. Low usage but solid boards and good assists. Usually a pretty good defender. Reggie Miller will get you some 3’s and scoring at back up SG. Helps with some usage and chips in assists. Defense isn’t great, but manageable for a second line player. Hot Rod Williams is a great grab here. Given his defense and solid boards he could go higher. A few suspect shooting seasons can be managed with other guys you have. Cedric Maxwell can play some SG and scores very effectively with good boards. Thaddeus Young can help at SF too.

Final thoughts: This is a real good team. Might be the best I’ve seen built around Durant if you don’t let Westbrook muck it up too much. Good D, scoring and strong boards. TO’s can be a bit high but you can’t have everything.
Draft Grade: A-
Best value pick: Ben Simmons
Head scratching pick: Westbrook
Projection: top 5
2/8/2023 5:06 PM
Benhoidal
Form champ ben starts off James Harden at 14. Generally one of the more successful players in Savage with his very high usage, solid eFG with very good TS%. High TO’s by very good rebounds and usually assists. I admit I’m not a Harden expert or even novice. I don’t think I’ve ever built a team around him, but the prevailing thinking I would think is to surround him with a lot of lower usage specialists and let him cook. Kevin McHale is another guy I have seldom used I think because the boards and SF eligibility scared me. But in Savage it can work without the cap and some many player season options. Usually 97 or 98% SF eligible, if you run the numbers he compares favorably to Nance and Bobby Jones with good not great boards, low TO’s and good Defense. He separates from them with the eFG scoring. And with Harden it’s a really nice fit I believe. Maybe the last time Joel Embiid goes in the 3rd round, he gives you some of the best value per minutes out there. Best suited I’d think to be on the floor when Harden is not and I’ll be interested to see if Ben structures his lineup that way or lets them run together. In the 4th Ben grabs Jerry West, great defender and solid in other areas. Defense fits nice next to Harden, so far there will be a lot of shots going up. Starting to wonder if Ben discovered some super high usage bug in the sim where if you exceed 140 usage on the floor your team goes into NBA All Star mode and shoots 70%!!! Joking aside – the minutes are not always that high and you can slot the usage and recently I too have been more aggressive trying to put higher usage teams out there to test a theory I have. The only negative I see here so far is you want to make sure you maximize McHale’s shots.
Chris Andersen is a high value defender who can play the 3 or 4. Great pick and fit for this team. Same with Kevon Looney who can play SG, which by the way I just don’t see how that can be true watching the Warriors. I feel like he’s always guarding the Center or PF, but whatever. Crazy creb for a SG, very clean player. Nice asset for Ben to compile here. Ed Davis – the prize of champions. 5 titles, averages 48 wins – tops in savage. The reason – the owners who draft him – but also, yeah he’s pretty good. He has some high value SF seasons and some PF seasons with very high rebounds. Scores very well, low TO’s and usually solid D. What’s not to like. Jarred Vanderbilt is a bit of a Looney clone. Incredible rebounds for a SG, very high eFG and good defense. If he holds on to his SG eligibility he will be very sought after player in Savage XI. Charles Oakley gets some boards and defense inside. He’s a bit high with the TOWELS – but your team should be able to absorb that in limited minutes. Dwight Powell is another roll player with high rebounds and efficient shooting. Nice low TO’s too. Bismack Biyombo is a solid defender, can rebound a bit and shoot efficiently at times. Finally Pat Connaughton seems like the perfect guy to round out this team. We have PF’s who can play SG and now a PG that can play small forward. Very good shooting with real low TO’s and solid rebounds depending where you play him.

Final thoughts: This team make a lot of sense seeing the whole draft. Grab a bunch of usage early, put efficient McHale around them and then grab a ton of flexible rebounders, defenders who shoot very high and have low TO’s. Impressive draft, admire the strategy. I tend to be so precision focused on team and position slotting.
Draft Grade: A+
Best value pick: Looney, Davis and Vanderbilt
Head scratching pick: It was West, but seeing the whole picture I’ll say Oakley
Projection: a close 2nd. As mentioned I’m projecting as I go and may revisit. I still like Rob’s team a little more at this point.
2/8/2023 5:07 PM
Raggedclaws
Anthony Davis at 15, a little higher than in the past and a very successful player in Savage. AD gives you most of what you want in the first round, efficient high usage, low TO’s, great D. Similar to David Robinson in some ways with the low rebounds and good but not elite shooting. I haven’t tracked this, but I would guess most owners also use his 99% SF season to play him at the 3 and get the rebounding bump. Clint Capela has been rising up for a while, once an early to mid third round pick. RC took him mid second last time and again here. Very appealing player, top notch rebounds, 2 seasons over 18 usage and 63% eFG and the other seasons are also great. Solid D and low TO’s. A little light on minutes, but a very strong start. Kyrie Irving in the third round gives more clean play with nice low TO’s, solid passing and lots of usage with some pretty good shooting seasons. Danny Green at SG adds even more efficiency and low TO’s and strong defense. Passing is a bit light to this point, rebounds a little soft – everything else is in real good shape. Good value with Al Horford, guessing you’ll be taking his more recent seasons where he’s mostly eligible at SF. Those seasons bring better defense, great passing that fits nicely with Danny Green and more clean, efficient play. Strong start.
Bo Outlaw plays very strong defense and doesn’t score a lot, but is high eFG. Rebounds are solid and passes a little. TO% jumps out as terrible – but that’s more about the low usage. Delon Wright has some really nice balanced seasons with strong D, some 3’s, solid shooting and rebounds and good passing at SG (light if you play him PG). Walt Bellamy won’t hurt you anywhere, not really help either. With Capela and AD having fairly low minutes you’ll need someone like Bellamy to come in and not hurt you while they’re out. Has a couple high usage seasons if you need someone to put shots up. Jaylen Brown offers some good bench usage and boards with solid shooting. Somehow his TO% is very good even though IRL he is dribbling the ball off his foot more than my son who plays HS basketball. Former Jaylen teammate Gordon Hayward offers similar skills with solid play across the board and some solid shooting seasons. The best of Jaylen and Gordon make a pretty good role player. Terry Rozier suggests RC is putting together a team of mostly former and some current Celtics, missed opportunity if that’s not part of your team name. The Scary One brings a little more passing than Jaylen and Gordon solid eFG thanks to a truck load of 3 pointers. Really low TO’s too. Marquese Chriss closes it out with some good SF seasons with plus rebounds.

Final thoughts: This is a good team. There’s some good piece, efficient team with enough passing. Good bench/later round guys. Maybe a little light on defense and rebounding, but not glaringly so. These teams should do well.
Draft Grade: B
Best value pick: Horford
Head scratching pick: Hayward
Projection: 5-10
2/8/2023 5:07 PM
Beloud:
Beloud is back from his Savage hiatus and takes Karl Malone, a little bit of slide with 16 being his lowest draft position in Savage. I don’t necessarily disagree with most of the picks before this, yet I still think he’s very good value. He doesn’t hurt you anywhere and is an advantage in passing, sometimes shooting with great TS%, solid D. I’ve always thought he was good to build around. He is a bit light on boards, but not so much so you can’t cover it elsewhere. At 16 I think he’s more appealing because you’re drafting a little earlier in the 2nd and the player quality it there. In the second Whiteside immediately addresses Malone’s one mild weakness. Whiteside is light on minutes so you’ll have more work to do later, but minutes are rarely a problem in Savage. Good address pick, his defense is good to great and he score very effectively around the basket. Chauncey Billups in the third is another good pick. I think he’s the last pretty attractive PG left before you get into mostly partial seasons or PG with a lot of flaws (although my spreadsheet rates Mookie higher, but he routinely goes later). Billups gets you good to basic assists, good defense solid TO’s some shooting with good TS% and a lot of 3’s. Nikola Vucevic in the 4th is interesting. I’d guess you’ll slide him next to Malone/Whiteside with their better defense. I had him last time with some success, great rebounder, super low TO’s, scores reasonably efficiently and good usage. Defense can be pretty bad, but if you put enough defenders around him he can be great. Great assists too. Love, love, LOVE the Marques Johnson pick. I’ve wanted to try him forever. He has a great SF season, another good one and some SG seasons that are better than his draft position would suggest. His creb of 30 seasons at SF with the good D is great, his top season is a bit weak on boards but scores very effectively and still good D. And his 3 SG seasons are really good. Low TO’s across the board.
Chris Boucher is a stud when he plays with limited minutes. I sometimes think of partial minutes players like this: “where would Marques Johnson be drafted if you stacked Chris Boucher’s minutes on top of him”. I think the answer is the second or first round. When you think of it that way. Point being is the quality of Boucher is so high when you add it to a good/very good player to lock up a position, very high value IMO. Then Bobby Portis, I won’t re-hash my last point, just emphasize it here. Beloud’s 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks probably give him the best 48 minutes at SF in the league. I’ll double check to make sure that’s not BS…. Just checked. Ok, Rob has Giannis and Marion and that’s better. But those are 1st and 2nd rounders. It’s the lateness here that’s impressive. I’m gushing because I’ve always felt the inefficiency at SF that you can do just what Beloud did here while focusing on the guards and front court earlier. I always get sucked into Bird, Nance or Jones… for good reason. Dejounte Murray has one impressive season with boards and assists that I think is an upgrade over one of Billups lower defense season. He maybe able to back up another season or two. Similar to Murray, Lonzo Ball offers plus rebounds and can play with or behind Billups. Good value with both these guards. Marcus Smart give some defensive options, with the number of guards you have it looks like you’ll have the option to go with him periodically over other guys if you need the defensive bump over passing, rebounds and shooting. JaMychal Green is another high performing SF in small doses. I’d have thought you’d have cornered the market on them already, but guessing you need a few more minutes. Beloud rounds it with Shai Gilgeous – Alexander. He’ll probably be used sparingly but is pretty effective when he’s in there. Nice 23 season coming…

Final thoughts: Walking through each pick I had a hard time finding a bad pick. Then I looked at the whole picture and I like this team a lot, what I didn’t initially notice is that you have Malone, Whiteside and Vucevic as what I’d call primary front court players. And that Vucevic will play all or most of those minutes. And I certainly mentioned my love of the small forward, but on the whole the team is a bit light on defense. You’ll often have Vucevic, sometimes with an average defending SF and ok to good SG defense. And Billups is pretty good, but he’s not a 90-100 guy. Otherwise there is a lot to like. Very good rebounding, good shooting, clean team.
Best value pick: Marques Johnson
Head scratching pick: Marcus Smart. I know I mentioned defense, but I wonder if you could have grabbed that Larry Sanders season or some other front court defense insurance.
Projection: right now 3rd
2/8/2023 5:09 PM
jkaye24
Jk returns for his 5th Savage season starting off with DeAndre Jordan, couple of 90 D seasons, very high rebounds and while low usage his eFG is about the best. I used to de-value his eFG because his usage is so low. But if you took at team of 4 players shooting 50% eFG with an average usage of 21 and add DeAndre’s 15.3 usage with 71.4 eFG, the whole team shooting jumps up 3.35%. That’s a big difference. Now his FT’s can be terrible. His most expensive season he’s 13.6 usage, 71.1 efg 63.8 TS% thanks to shooting 39.7% FT on 471 attempts. So you have to weigh that in. I’ve never run the numbers, but I would guess a guy like Jordan gets to the line 40-60% as much IRL. So it will hurt you but not as much. Magic Johnson in the second round take a strong rebounding start and doubles down on it. Usually gives you all the assists you should need often at the expense of high TO’s. good to very good shooting and the defense can be solid at times. Patrick Ewing next to DeAndre is a nice fit. Patrick Ewing gives the usage and fairly efficient scoring and DeAndre covers his just ok rebounds. Kyle Lowry is an interesting pick next to Magic. You’re definitely strong in assists, Lowry will get you 3’s and can play some solid D at times but overall your guard defense is lower than average. Robert Covington is exactly the type of player that fits next to Magic, 3 and D with boards because you invested in Magic’s assists. So I like Covington, but now really don’t get Lowry. I worry you’ll play Covington at SF and lose the rebound advantage.
Brandon Clarke has some excellent value when he plays, very good D and shooting. I like taking high value players even with low minutes early given the overall depth. The question here is more about the overall fit at SG. More guards on the way with Paul Pressey. I like him off the bench behind Magic, great defense. Comes at the price of high TO’s. Andris Biedrins is a nice fit. He has gone late in the past, but 8th round is not too early if he’s what you need. Strong all around back up center with high eFG, good boards and won’t hurt you on D and TO’s. Daniel Gafford is another high value per minute player. Great when he’s playing SF with very high eFG, good rebounds and pretty good TO’s. Yao Ming give great usage behind Ewing. He’ll help keep you out of the usage penalty when Ewing is out. Rebounds a little light, but overall a helpful player to have. Marvin Williams is good value, with one starter worthy season with 73 defense, good rebounds, shooting and 3’s. Last up Brad Daugherty is a last round flier if you don’t like what Ming is giving.

Final thoughts: I’m not sure this will be one of jk’s best outings. I like Jordan, Magic and Ewing, but after that I thought you maybe didn’t maximize what those players can do. Some good players that I don’t know fit optimally. DeAndre and Ewing are super low assists, so I can see the appeal of Lowry with his 3’s, assists and rebounds. I’d have liked Hardaway or Mookie if you wanted assists.
Draft Grade: C
Best value pick: Ewing
Head scratching pick: Lowry
Projection: 15-20
2/8/2023 5:12 PM
Jcred5
I’ve picked late teens and 20’s most of the time. I tried to trade up to get in the Durant range but couldn’t make it happen. I was happy to have Kevin Garnett there so I could try a new player. He rates high for me with his great defense and passing, low TO’s solid to good rebounds. He also has the monster SF season. I would have considered Anthony Davis if he fell and certainly KD. I think Bird could be a little more valuable but definitely wanted to try KG. I did not expect to take Dwayne Wade. Never been a huge fan because of his low eFG. I had been hoping Dr J would somehow fall to me, or maybe Hakeem or Moses. I considered Capela and Lillard who was very tempting but ultimately went with Wade because I think it’s easier to build around two great defenders when you have one at guard and one in the front court. I like Larry Nance here, defense is very strong, he’s a better shooter than KG or Wade and I need some of that. Very low TO’s. What I didn’t realize is that it pretty much nullifies KG great SF season. I tried several builds and players, but no one is good enough to take Nance off the court at PF. Which means in KG’s SF season I’m playing Nance at PF where he is far less effective and I’m losing that one season advantage. That was a mistake by me. If I had to do it over, is Walton or Brand a better choice? Walton would be great with KG. Brand gives me the two big SF seasons and I chase front court later. But Brand just isn’t as overall good as Nance. Not sure there was a better choice. I grab Anfernee Hardaway again. I’ll use three Wade seasons at PG and slide Hardaway into the other two. Can help off the bench too. Defense is very strong and I like that. Shooting is not great, but not terrible. Willis Reed has a great 100 D season and another solid season with 70 D. It’s an ok pick. The guy I thought long and hard about was Carlos Boozer. He has two good ~ 56eFG seasons with great rebounds. Another good one at 54eFG with good boards and some other help. I ultimately decided on Reed and his D because of how my lineups were shaking out. I started out with two pretty high usage players with slightly below average shooting and if I went Boozer, my shooting would improve but probably just to average or a little better and my defense would not longer by a differentiator. So I decided to lean into my strength at defense.
Boozer is still there in the late 6th! But I having so much defense I decide to go max rebounds and eFG with Enes Kanter. I needed both of those things and he doesn’t play a ton, but helps those categories when he’s in. Nice TO% too. He’ll start 3 season for me and even with him out there my starting lineup D is an average of 77, 79, 87, 87, 81. Kyle Anderson give will spot start at SG and give some nice defense and all around help. Wesley Person has one good D season that will start too and then a little bench shooting. I was eyeing D’Angelo Russell for my big bench usage player. Love getting a bench usage guy that does other things too (play PG with solid assists in this case) rather than chasing a guy who only scores. Dewayne Dedmon will cover behind Kanter here and there. James Johnson at SF and a little SG, some nice defense. I was short on minutes for one team and in need of boards and other things and settled on Ervin Johnson.

Final thoughts: KG was a little tougher build than I thought. Really, it’s more the draft position. And who’s there on the next pick and so on. Wade is good, but probably not the best pair with KG. They’re kind of redundant, not as complimentary. Nance is good and I’ll have really good D but I don’t think it’s enough shooting. I did go heavy on usage and I’m curious what impact that has on shooting. Never heard if this has been proven, but I’ve always suspected that you can get a little shooting bump taking less shots than IRL.
Draft Grade: B+
Best value pick: Nance
Head scratching pick: Willis Reed. Be more daring!
Projection: 5-10
2/8/2023 5:13 PM
Posted by jcred5 on 2/8/2023 5:06:00 PM (view original):
dBKC
One of the most successful Savage owners starts off with Kevin Durant. I’ll discuss more in my own eval, but I traded up in hopes of getting him. He has 3 seasons I think are a must at SG and then maybe a 4th at SG or SF if you prefer and I’d say the 5th at SF. Gives some flexibility to roster construction. Top usage, often a very good or great eFG with ++ TS%. Great rebounds at SG, still good at SF – vice versa with assists. Good TO% and good with maybe a great D season or two. One of the few players in Savage who gets you a lot of 3’s at no other cost. With SG a bit lean, I think he’s very valuable. Tyson Chandler is a good safe pick for Durant. Very good D, usually good rebounds and great eFG. Bill Walton is a great pick, most of us know what Walton does. His minutes are a bit low but in the 3rd round next to Chandler he fits very nicely. Ben Simmons slides to the mid 4th, possibly with the increased focus on managing your TO’s. Simmons will hurt you there, but he helps a lot in other valuable areas. Very good eFG with a TS% hit. Great rebounds and very good assists. Defense is excellent. I can see why there’d be hesitation in the 3rd and db takes advantage of that by grabbing him in the 4th. Mitchell Robinson is back in the 5th round and fits nice with Walton in terms of giving defense and complimentary minutes. Low rebounds, but low TO’s too and very high eFG.
Russell Westbrook as been more successful in Savage than I’d have expected. He can be overwhelming with his rebounds, usage and assists. Sometimes it goes sideways, but I’ve seen it successful in small doses with the right pairings. Andrew Bynum is another good front court addition, chipping in with Chandler and Robinson. Anthony Mason must be playing SF He has a few seasons when KD plays SG. Low usage but solid boards and good assists. Usually a pretty good defender. Reggie Miller will get you some 3’s and scoring at back up SG. Helps with some usage and chips in assists. Defense isn’t great, but manageable for a second line player. Hot Rod Williams is a great grab here. Given his defense and solid boards he could go higher. A few suspect shooting seasons can be managed with other guys you have. Cedric Maxwell can play some SG and scores very effectively with good boards. Thaddeus Young can help at SF too.

Final thoughts: This is a real good team. Might be the best I’ve seen built around Durant if you don’t let Westbrook muck it up too much. Good D, scoring and strong boards. TO’s can be a bit high but you can’t have everything.
Best value pick: Ben Simmons
Head scratching pick: Westbrook
Projection: top 5
Thanks for the eval.

Believe it or not, Westbrook was penciled in as my 6th round pick from before the draft even started. I backdrafted around him, knowing I’d be able to get him in the 6th. I felt like he was extremely undervalued in this league and could be a key piece to a champion if he was surrounded by high eFG and low TOs, so that’s why I drafted KD, Tyson, Mitchell, etc. The end result for starters (average of 5 teams) is 56.5 eFG, 70 AST%, 76 DEF, and 150% CRB with acceptable TOs and fouls

KD will play 100% of his mins at SG. Miller will back him up 100% of the time, so I’ll have one of them on the court at all times in case anyone wants to play - defense on me.

Mason/Hot Rod/Maxwell are my SF platoon, and I’m pretty happy with what they average out to, considering how late I drafted them.

Thad has a really good PG season and will fill in for Simmons on the one season he has to sit out.
2/8/2023 5:31 PM
Explain Yourself....

1. Shaquille O'Neal

Thrilled to land the #5 pick. I figured none of the big 3 would fall so it was gonna be Shaq(1st choice) or MJ for me. I'm not opposed to trying Giannis at this spot if I get the chance again, but I felt building around Shaq/MJ and their extra mins would be easier for me. 4 of the 5 Shaq seasons are no-brainers but I had to think a little bit about the 5th. I decided on 02-03 for the extra D.

2. Klay Thompson

I was definitely looking for a guard in round 2. I've been wanting to use Klay for awhile now and this seemed like as good a time as any to finally try him out. I figured he would be available and loved the thought of a deadly inside-out 1-2 scoring punch with Shaq. I started getting cold feet on Klay as it got closer to my pick as I tried to figure out how I would get enough AST% for my liking. I started talking myself into Draymond as a solution and was starting to like that fit. I also felt that Billups might fall to me or that Lowry in the 4th would be ok. If Payton and Kidd had made it to me I would have gladly picked them over Klay. I knew Lillard wouldn't be an option with robusk picking right in front of me. The only other guard I was considering over Klay was...

3. Steve Nash

**** yea!!! There's been a few picks in Savage where I was surprised/delighted that someone fell to me, but this was my absolute favorite. Nash used to be my guy in WIS and I won a lot of games and chips with him. I'm done worrying about AST% now and feel good about 3s even if I can't add anymore behind Nash or in the frontcourt(3s at SG behind Klay was always a given). But the best part is that my 3 highest usg players on all 5 teams will all have an EFG over 55%. My teams have an identity now - I will outscore you with an awesome inside-out super high efg% attack. I'll need to have a good offense because I have no shot at a good defense with Nash at PG and Klay not a great option to cover him. I'm also waaaay behind on the glass so defense/rebounding will be the priority at the 3/4.

4. Donyell Marshall

I kinda think Donyell is a bit overrated in Savage. 03-04 is fantastic but the other seasons are better suited as backups. However, he was the last SF left in his tier group. If I don't grab him now I'm hoping for Bo in the 5th(could have got him!) or piecing the position together later. I didn't feel great about the options at PF(Noah? kills the efg vibe, Pau? not enough boards) so Donyell it is. I sent out a 2 person proxy for this pick and decided on Bogut as the 2nd name. This would have been way too early for him but he brings exactly what I wanted from the PF spot and I felt good about Donyell being there with my pick anyway.

5. Andrew Bogut

...and he's still available in the 5th! Things are working out nicely for me here. He lacks mins, but is a solid rebounder that actually has decent defense. Those guys are drying up fast so I was glad to get one.

6. Kermit Washington

This was the hardest pick in the draft. I knew it would be my last chance to get some of the great 1/2 season guys at SF here. But I also really needed mins at PF as well. My guy Unseld is just starring at me, ready to lock down PF with clean rebounding. But with Nash, that would have been a death sentence for my defense and I really wanted to try to hammer high EFG as much as possible. And then there's Amare. Just insane value in the 6th. I played around with his fit for awhile but it just wasn't gonna work. In the end, it was between Kermit, Boucher, Clarke, Porter, and Henson. Despite being able to play some SF, I was actually viewing Kermit as a PF for my team. In looking for potential PFs with good defense and high EFG, Kermit's 2 seasons were sticking out. I was definitely looking for higher dreb% but everything else fit nicely(well except the towels but that's pretty much unavoidable at this point). I also liked that he was flexible between 3/4 and could provide defense there if needed. Still not sure how I feel about this pick.

7. Terry Tyler

One pick away from Porter! Damn you robusk, that must have been your easiest pick of the draft. But I wasn't expecting Porter here. I had already filled in the KJs behind Nash by the time midge picked him. That was frustrating as I thought I would get him for sure with the way PGs have been dropping in Savage drafts. It was important to me to find good backups to Nash and Klay and I didn't want to wait too long to pull the trigger. I knew SG could wait, but PG was starting to look ugly for what I wanted(someone with 5 seasons of at least 25% ast). With KJ off the board, I focused back to SF/PF. Siakam and that one great season was very appealing but I didn't like any of his other seasons. I didn't like his average to below average efg, but Tyler was pretty much my last chance to add elite defense with solid rebounding at the usg I wanted. He has two seasons I felt could start and 3 other decent seasons to use if I was hurting for mins. I thought about rolling the dice and trying to get him in round 9 but decided not to risk it.

8. Rajon Rondo

There's Rondo, lingering like a bad fart. I didn't want to use him again. I wanted to take another SF/PF or just take Reggie now in case he goes earlier than I expect. I don't like the efg and turnovers and his usage will make him the 3rd highest udg player in certain lineups. Jameer in round 9 was considered but luckily I didn't choose that path as he went before my pick. In hindsight, I'm pretty happy with this pick. I needed the ast% and it was nice to add some defense to the backcourt. Not sure who I would have ended up with if I passed on Rondo. Tim Hardaway again in the 12th? I think I need to seriously reconsider the PG position in Savage and AST% in general. I've convinced myself I need a certain amount, yet I see other teams doing just fine with lower AST% then I would consider. Just off the top of my head, my concern for AST% at backup PG has led to me picking Rondo(twice), Jose Calderon, Ty Lawson, Darrell Armstrong, Tim Hardaway and probably another scrub or two who shouldn't be drafted.

9. Clifford Ray

Oh **** you dbkc! The one time I really want to use Reggie Miller. Ah well, I still have J.R. and Buddy available. And I definitely need to grab some more PF mins here anyway. I feel comfortable grabbing Przybilla in the 11th, but Ray has more mins and I feel like I'm gonna need them all(I did). I think I might regret this pick the most. I could have locked up Buddy or J.R. here and used my last two picks on Przybilla and another boarder at PF. Kermit could have easily shifted to SF to cover the other mins I needed there.

10. Bob Lanier

3 spots left and I still need my backup to Klay and Shaq plus more mins at SF. I really like Lanier and Yao for C, J.R. and Buddy for SG, and Maxwell and Spoon for SF. But who will fall? I decided Spoon was most likely to make it back to me(correct) so it was between SG and C. Lanier is the best player but I need more mins at SG. I also notice gerry has picked J.R. the last 3 drafts. Would he really take him again?(yes dummy! this is the guy who takes Mark Price every single draft). In the end it came down to who I was more comfortable with as a 3rd option - Michael Redd or Cousins/Blake. I started talking myself into Redd(two really good seasons!) and decided Lanier was too good to pass up. His one really good season will back up 02-03 Shaq. I might even play some of that season at PF but the rest will strictly be Shaq backups.

11. Terrence Jones

Of course gerry takes J.R. again. And there goes Buddy too. Yao also went, and I'm sure Lanier would have as well. dbkc strikes again with Maxwell. But at least Spoon makes it back to me. However, I started searching for other options with decent defense and better efg than Spoon. Jones takes a hit on mins, defense and boards compared to Spoon but I was starting to like his fit on one of my teams and really liked his good 900 min season backing up 03-04 Marshall. The result is I now have to play one of the 48% efg Tyler's for 20mpg on one of my teams but I can live with that.

12. Michael Redd

Sigh...I should have picked Reggie/J.R./Buddy earlier. At least he has realllly low tov%.

I'm pretty excited about this team even though I feel it could end up failing miserably. It was always a risk starting with the Shaq/Klay/Nash trio(d/reb/pos flex) but I love the offensive upside of that inside out combo. You really can't play any kind of +/- defense on me. I thought I did a solid job of trying to add as much defense/boards as I could at the 3/4 while still maintaining a high efg. Unfortunately, I added waaaay too many towels. For a team that's gonna be mediocre to bad on the glass, that could be a death sentence. My hope is that Nash doesn't completely tank my defense and I'll be able to win the shooting battle most games. The good thing about my starting trio is that they are consistent across their 5 seasons which gave me the chance to build 5 teams capable of making the playoffs(or all finishing with 36-42 wins if things go bad). I did beef up a bit on the teams with 99-00 and 00-01 Shaq. I'm hoping they can compete for a title.
2/8/2023 8:03 PM
Explain yourself...

Before I talk about my team I want to make it perfectly clear that I'm here to give keen, concise basketball analysis. If you're here because you think I might say something funny please go here www.funnythingsthatmidgehassaid.com. On with the show.

1) Dwight Howard - For the first time I was considering trading my position in the draft. I had a deal in place to trade down to 12 and take Rudy Gobert, but when Dwight was there I had to take him. With multiple seasons of elite defense, scoring and rebounding, it makes me wonder why he hasn't done better in Savage.

2) Gary Payton - I think I messed up last season by taking guards with my first two picks, so this time I wanted to take a quality big and point guard with my first two picks. I was hoping that Oscar "The Mitten" Robertson would fall to me, but I was okay with settling for Gary "The Glove" Payton. I'm not thrilled with his three point shooting, his free throw shooting and that his usage% is too high for his eFG%, I worry that he will take shots away from Howard, but his elite defense for PG and SG, plus tons of minutes, plus a nice chunk of assist% made him the right choice.

3) Elton Brand - I was torn here between Brand, who brings a lot to the table for two seasons and is playable for all five seasons, and Jerry Lucas, who would give me five seasons of rebounds, which is always something I seem to be lacking. I gambled on taking Brand here and getting Lucas in the 4th, because that is where he has been going. Of course I knew that last season has very little to do with this season, because if somebody wants a player, they need to take him a little higher than last season.

4) Ray Allen - At this point I really felt like I needed some threes to go with Dwight Howard. Ash said that last season in the playoffs everyone went -2 or -3 against him with his Dwight/Oscar ("The Mitten", are you paying attention?) team and it sunk his season. I had Ray Allen before teamed with Magic Johnson in the backcourt and my defense was shredded. I'm hoping teaming Jesus Shuttlesworth with "The Glove" will be a better fit.

5) Kevin Love - My plan is to bring Love off the bench, firing threes and grabbing boards, while at the same time hiding his defense behind my good defense centers. I know jcred5 didn't like this pick, which further increases the feeling that I screwed up by not taking Lucas. If I had Lucas, I wouldn't have taken Love, and jcred5 would have been happy. Isn't making other people happy what it's all about?

6) Robert Williams - This is where in the past I would have been looking to take Dave Cowens, but luckily for me someone else took him and I took Robert Williams instead. Just in Time, Lord I got lucky there.

7) - Kevin Johnson - Traditionally, the 7th round is where I always quit looking to see who is best for my team and I start looking around to see who I can screw over. Who needs a point guard with at least five seasons of 25% assists? Ah, there he is, dh555! Sorry dude. It's like when you're playing Ticket To Ride and you don't really need that New Orleans to Miami track, but your brother does so you take it. TAKE THAT TIM! THAT'S FOR HITTING ME IN THE HEAD WITH A HAMMER WHEN I WAS SIX YEARS OLD!

8) - Bill Bridges -
I think of Bill Bridges as Jerry Lucas lite. Build some Bridges, throw in some Love, mix in a little Time Lord, with a dash of a good Brand and voila!, you have yourself a power forward.

9) - Rodney McCray - A lot of guys were moving up in the draft, which means someone was sliding, so I was happy to take Rodney McCray in the 9th round. He will see some action at both SF and SG, with good rebounding at SG and good passing at SF. Decent defense everywhere.

10) - Michael Cooper - I still need minutes at SG, and I wanted to take a guy who plays defense to play in front of or behind Ray Allen. Two seasons will play for sure, maybe some from a third season. His 100 and 90 defense seasons will come in handy when Steph Curry comes to town.

11) - Bob Pettit - I figure this pick will have a lot of people saying huh? My thinking is that he plays good defense (90), has good rebounding (insert numbers here) and the team usage won't get messed up when he subs for Dwight Howard. His eFG% is weak, but he gets to the free throw line a lot and his passing is better than Dwight. If the Bob Pettit experiment is a massive failure I still have Bill Bridges to play some center if I need to make the change.

12) - Bailey Howell - I see Howell as Elton Brand lite. He has one season that will start and play a lot. Not bad for the 12th round.

I'm not going to say if I think my team will be good or not. I have no idea. What I will say is that me taking the time to write this when I haven't even put my teams together yet is like writing an extra credit paper when I haven't yet written the paper that is worth 50% of my final grade.
2/9/2023 8:37 PM (edited)
Berkelon
I certainly like a team that starts with Larry Bird. While you can get SF value late, Bird has 2 strong shooting seasons, a strong defense season, great assists and good to great rebounds. I have played him a little at SG in the past, but this league is too competitive for me to lose 2 or 3% of your best player and be successful. Oscar Robertson is solid. Covers all the categories, good defense and solid shooting. TO’s slightly high but not terrible. Bird and Oscar start covers a lot of bases. Marcus Camby is a good pick here. You can afford his lower usage, very good defender and rebounder and passes too. John Collins is a nice grab here. Bird’s 5th best season is mostly eligible at PF and Collins can play some SF. His best two seasons are PF. The rebounds are low, but his shooting is so good, nice low TO’s too. Javale McGee is a good pairing with Camby. Good defense, great shooting and some good boards.
Bradley Beal in the 6th to play SG. He has a couple of real good shooting seasons with good assists for a 2 guard. Nice low TO’s. You needed some usage with your interior players being a little low. He’s not typically my favorite, but scanning the draft board I’m not sure I see a significantly better option. John Henson adds depth at SF with good boards, defense and shooting. Patrick Beverly is probably Oscar and/or Beals’s back up, another good defender who can shoot some 3’s. Gheorghe Muresan provide good interior shooting and solid board. Buddy Hield is a solid usage player with 3’s at SG. Could give Beal a run for his money in a couple seasons. Larry Sanders! will add front court depth in one season and Shane Battier may find minutes if you tire of mediocre defense at SG.

Final thoughts: I liked but did not love a lot of these picks. Bird and Camby are strong. Nothing wrong with Oscar and others like McGee. I think I’m a little luke warm on the SG. A little too much usage for guys a little too just ok. Ultimately a good team that I’m not sure is great.
Draft Grade: B
Best value pick: Camby
Head scratching pick: Bradley Beal
Projection: 10-15

2/9/2023 8:54 AM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12|13|14...32 Next ▸
Savage X Rosters/Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.