Trump's Coronavirus Response Topic

HHS's Azar Tapped Inexperienced 'Dog Breeder' to Lead Pandemic Effort

On Jan. 21, the day the first U.S. case of coronavirus was reported, the secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services appeared on Fox News to report the latest on the disease as it ravaged China. Alex Azar, a 52-year-old lawyer and former drug industry executive, assured Americans the U.S. government was prepared.

“We developed a diagnostic test at the CDC, so we can confirm if somebody has this,” Azar said. “We will be spreading that diagnostic around the country so that we are able to do rapid testing on site.”

While coronavirus in Wuhan, China, was “potentially serious,” Azar assured viewers in America, it “was one for which we have a playbook.”

Azar’s initial comments misfired on two fronts. Like many U.S. officials, he underestimated the pandemic’s severity. He also overestimated his agency’s preparedness.

As is now widely known, two agencies Azar oversaw as HHS secretary, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration, wouldn’t come up with viable tests for five and half weeks, even as other countries and the World Health Organization had already prepared their own.

Shortly after his televised comments, Azar tapped a trusted aide with minimal public health experience to lead the agency’s day-to-day response to COVID-19. The aide, Brian Harrison, had joined the department after running a dog-breeding business for six years. Five sources say some officials in the White House derisively called him “the dog breeder.”

Azar’s optimistic public pronouncement and choice of an inexperienced manager are emblematic of his agency’s oft-troubled response to the crisis. His HHS is a behemoth department, overseeing almost every federal public health agency in the country, with a $1.3 trillion budget that exceeds the gross national product of most countries.

Azar and his top deputies oversaw health agencies that were slow to alert the public to the magnitude of the crisis, to produce a test to tell patients if they were sick, and to provide protective masks to hospitals even as physicians pleaded for them.

The first test created by the CDC, meant to be used by other labs, was plagued by a glitch that rendered it useless and wasn’t fixed for weeks. It wasn’t until March that tests by other labs went into production. The lack of tests “limited hospitals’ ability to monitor the health of patients and staff,” the HHS Inspector General said in a report this month. The equipment shortage “put staff and patients at risk.”

A promised virus surveillance program failed to take root, despite assurances Azar gave to Congress. Rather than share information, three current and three former government officials told Reuters, Azar and top staff sidelined key agencies that could have played a higher-profile role in addressing the pandemic. “It was a mess,” said a White House official who worked with HHS.

4/23/2020 8:54 AM
Posted by all3 on 4/23/2020 8:53:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Uofa2 on 4/22/2020 7:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by all3 on 4/2/2020 10:48:00 PM (view original):
Dems/Libs seem to be enjoying the virus, so they can take Political shots at Trump. Not a surprise, since they seem to enjoy mass-shootings and Natural Disasters too, when they try to make them Political. Add in their pro-abortion stance and they really just seem to get off on deaths all together. Good thing they claim to be for peace and unity.
Was this factual or an untruth?
Did you read some of Liberal "friends"' posts from around then? Did you see some of their "leaders" on TV? This was absolutely factual then, and still is.

Just read bronx's post immediately above for proof. Unemployment was at record lows until the virus, now people like him want to act like it's Trump's politics and not the virus. Sad, sad twisted minds some of these Libs/Dems have.
Way to double down.
4/23/2020 9:25 AM
Posted by Uofa2 on 4/23/2020 9:25:00 AM (view original):
Dems/Libs seem to be enjoying the virus, so they can take Political shots at Trump. Not a surprise, since they seem to enjoy mass-shootings and Natural Disasters too, when they try to make them Political. Add in their pro-abortion stance and they really just seem to get off on deaths all together. Good thing they claim to be for peace and unity.
Did you read some of Liberal "friends"' posts from around then? Did you see some of their "leaders" on TV? This was absolutely factual then, and still is.

Just read bronx's post immediately above for proof. Unemployment was at record lows until the virus, now people like him want to act like it's Trump's politics and not the virus. Sad, sad twisted minds some of these Libs/Dems have.
Way to double down.
So, which part of any of this is incorrect or non-factual?
4/23/2020 9:41 AM

I don't enjoy mass shootings, natural disasters, or the coronavirus. Who is the liar, me or you?
4/23/2020 10:11 AM
Posted by all3 on 4/23/2020 9:41:00 AM (view original):

Way to double down.
Well, for starters, you said dems/libs get off on death. I dunno, seems incorrect and non-factual to me. Haven't been a big fan of death ever since I found out about it.

But rather than admit that's over the top hyperbole and not true, not to mention incredibly rude and derogatory at a bare minimum, you doubled down. Twice.
4/23/2020 12:21 PM
Posted by Uofa2 on 4/23/2020 12:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by all3 on 4/23/2020 9:41:00 AM (view original):

Way to double down.
Well, for starters, you said dems/libs get off on death. I dunno, seems incorrect and non-factual to me. Haven't been a big fan of death ever since I found out about it.

But rather than admit that's over the top hyperbole and not true, not to mention incredibly rude and derogatory at a bare minimum, you doubled down. Twice.
Yeah. The point should simply be conceded rather than argued. Truth, correctness and fact are being used interchangeably. That should have been a sign from the get-go that the position was unsustainable.
4/23/2020 12:37 PM
Nowhee do I say "all" Dems / Libs, and there is no way on this Earth you can try to say some are not. It IS the TRUTH.
4/23/2020 12:56 PM
Ha. Whatever.
4/23/2020 1:03 PM
Posted by all3 on 4/23/2020 12:56:00 PM (view original):
Nowhee do I say "all" Dems / Libs, and there is no way on this Earth you can try to say some are not. It IS the TRUTH.
It may be the truth but it is not necessarily fact.

Fun with semantics.
4/23/2020 1:13 PM
Posted by all3 on 4/23/2020 12:56:00 PM (view original):
are not WHAT??? You're completely buried on this one pal.

The answer to my question as YOU phrased it is/was "enjoying the virus"

Find me one dem/lib or anybody with a functioning brain that is "enjoying the virus".

You've just revealed without any assistance just WHERE you stand politically........... and it clearly AIN'T in the middle hating BOTH Parties as you claim.
You are NOT what you claim to be.
Just like most political beings.

A good politician is a great liar.
You're not a politician...............you're NOT a good enough liar.
That's hopeful.
4/23/2020 1:16 PM
Go back to earlier and look at bronx's post about unemployment. He's blaming Trump (who had record low rates befor the virus) for the current rate instead of the World-wide pandemic. I find that to be sick, and it most certainly is him enjoying the virus, by using it to blame Trump.
4/23/2020 1:29 PM
You didn't say "bronx seem to be enjoying the virus, so he can take Political shots at Trump. Not a surprise, since he seem to enjoy mass-shootings and Natural Disasters too, when he tries to make them Political. Add in his pro-abortion stance and he really just seem to get off on deaths all together. Good thinghe claims to be for peace and unity." though. And you're still defending this by pointing at one poster.
4/23/2020 1:40 PM
No, I'm giving you one example. I block the extremists on this site, so I have no idea what else they may have posted, but on many news shows I've heard the same sentiments as bronx expresses, and that I note relative to other issues. Trying to deny you've never heard them just makes you look silly and / or uninformed.
4/23/2020 1:53 PM
Posted by all3 on 4/23/2020 1:53:00 PM (view original):
No, I'm giving you one example. I block the extremists on this site, so I have no idea what else they may have posted, but on many news shows I've heard the same sentiments as bronx expresses, and that I note relative to other issues. Trying to deny you've never heard them just makes you look silly and / or uninformed.
So now I'm silly and uninformed because I haven't extrapolated the statements of one poster to a whole political party to insinuate they get off on death and are enjoying the virus?

And please point me to the news shows that are enjoying the virus and getting off on the death.
4/23/2020 1:59 PM
No, your silly or uniformed for trying to pretend you've never heard others express those sentiments.

What news show doesn't "get off on death"? Best ratings-maker they have. Always the lead story and always lingers for days or even weeks.

4/23/2020 2:09 PM
◂ Prev 1...45|46|47|48|49...90 Next ▸
Trump's Coronavirus Response Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.