TRUMP: Best President ever Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 7/12/2018 7:42:00 PM (view original):
It certainly is an opinion that opinions can be wrong.
What is your operational definition of an opinion?
7/12/2018 8:32 PM
Not by the dictionary definition: a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

I have yet to see you prove that an opinion can be worng
7/13/2018 12:36 AM
It I was my opinion that y'all have too much time on your hands. When do you guys ever work?
7/13/2018 6:51 AM
Posted by wylie715 on 7/13/2018 12:36:00 AM (view original):
Not by the dictionary definition: a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

Yeah, I haven’t proven it because it’s an opinion.
7/13/2018 8:35 AM
wylie obviously posts here for no reason other than to try to be a pain in the *ss. He's really no different than Bracco - never really even trying to contribute anything other than chaos and/or annoyance. Probably time to treat him like the troll he has become.

7/13/2018 10:12 AM
Posted by strikeout26 on 7/13/2018 6:51:00 AM (view original):
It I was my opinion that y'all have too much time on your hands. When do you guys ever work?
I am on vacation
7/13/2018 10:14 AM
Posted by wylie715 on 7/13/2018 12:36:00 AM (view original):

Welcome to the world of debating bad luck.
7/13/2018 10:15 AM
Parsing the meaning of opinion and distinguishing opinions from judgments from facts from truths from matters of taste is a deep philosophical well that I doubt any of us are equipped to properly dive into.

For example, if the one and only acceptable definition of opinion is a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty, and I say, "raw onions are disgusting," that isn't an opinion. I've eaten raw onions and I have grounds sufficient to be completely certain that they are disgusting. You may think the exact opposite and neither of us are wrong and neither of us are expressing an opinion.

Another example: Mike Trout is a better offensive player than Alcides Escobar. That isn't an opinion either. I have sufficient grounds to say that with certainty.

But, I'm not a car mechanic. If my car is acting up and I say, "I think it needs new spark plugs," that is an opinion. I do not have sufficient grounds to produce complete certainty that the plugs are the problem. And it's an opinion that could be wrong.
7/13/2018 12:41 PM
Posted by all3 on 7/13/2018 10:12:00 AM (view original):
wylie obviously posts here for no reason other than to try to be a pain in the *ss. He's really no different than Bracco - never really even trying to contribute anything other than chaos and/or annoyance. Probably time to treat him like the troll he has become.

Except Wylie is much more sane, reasonable, moderate, and has actual input into the conversations we have. Nothing like Bracco. He's not any more of a 'know it all' than any of the rest of us are.
7/13/2018 12:58 PM
12 more Russians indicted. All with ties to GRU/Russian government.

Trump insists Russia had nothing to do with election hacking.
7/13/2018 1:01 PM
I think I get all these opinions about the meaning of an opinion.............after all, we've been around this loop before here..........

Except for one.
Some claim an "opinion" can't be wrong.......... I think that claim is based on the fact that it's just an opinion thus it "can't be wrong".......

Someone who believes that way please explain to dumb old me............how were the humans who believed the Earth was flat NOT wrong?
They were obviously wrong, no? The Earth is not flat. That's fact. Thus the "opinion" held by so many humans at the time was incorrect. WRONG.

Seems to dumb old me that their shared opinions on the Earth's flatness was WRONG. A wrong opinion.

Can somebody help me?
Should be easier than getting me to support Repugnants from the "right".............
7/13/2018 1:14 PM
Hey!!! I take offense to that post. LOL.
Posted by strikeout26 on 7/13/2018 6:51:00 AM (view original):
work is a four letter word
Posted by all3 on 7/13/2018 10:12:00 AM (view original):

all3, you have said some not very nice things about me, but comparing me to Bracco is going too far! I demand an apology!!!
7/13/2018 1:16 PM
Posted by laramiebob on 7/13/2018 1:14:00 PM (view original):
I think I get all these opinions about the meaning of an opinion.............after all, we've been around this loop before here..........

Except for one.
Some claim an "opinion" can't be wrong.......... I think that claim is based on the fact that it's just an opinion thus it "can't be wrong".......

Someone who believes that way please explain to dumb old me............how were the humans who believed the Earth was flat NOT wrong?
They were obviously wrong, no? The Earth is not flat. That's fact. Thus the "opinion" held by so many humans at the time was incorrect. WRONG.

Seems to dumb old me that their shared opinions on the Earth's flatness was WRONG. A wrong opinion.

Can somebody help me?
Should be easier than getting me to support Repugnants from the "right".............
Until you have proof it is an opinion. Once you garner proof it’s a fact. If my opinion in 2001 was Tom Brady was the steal of the draft it’s just that. After seeing his career we can agree that the opinion became a fact.

If I argue that Tom Brady was the most handsome player drafted in 2001, it is just an opinion because that is really subjective.
7/13/2018 1:17 PM
◂ Prev 1...357|358|359|360|361...937 Next ▸
TRUMP: Best President ever Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.