TRUMP: Best President ever Topic

Barely ahead.

This is from a black Columbia Professor. What are your thoughts please?

Racial profiling is racism. It can be—but just as often isn’t. In some parts of the country, black men are so over represented in criminal activities that police officers, white and black, would be shirking their duty not to concentrate on them. Sure, sometimes profiling ends up detaining more blacks than their rate of conviction for the targeted crime justifies, as with drivers recently stopped and searched for drugs in New Jersey. But even here, officers generally have acted less out of race hatred than out of a pragmatic assessment that they can fill their quotas faster by focusing on a group that commits a disproportionate share of crime. Inappropriate, yes—and widely condemned as such: indication Number 674 that racism is on the wane.

I have always suspected that today’s profiling-must-stop contingent secretly believes that whites deserve black crime as retribution for oppression. But to halt all profiling would increase the number of blacks murdered, mostly by other blacks. And black leaders would cite this rise as further evidence of racism, as happened in New York in the 1980s, when cops turned a blind eye to a wave of black crime. Many of those crying racism about today’s New York City policing were sounding the same call about the Dinkins administration’s lax policing.

5/29/2018 4:11 PM
Even if racial profiling is rational and without ill-will, it's still the textbook definition of racism. Cops pulling someone over because that person looks like a "criminal" (black person).

And I don't believe that it is always rational or without ill-will.

5/29/2018 4:23 PM
And it isn't barely. Black single mother have poverty rates above 40% white white single mothers are less than 30%.
5/29/2018 4:27 PM
You guys are debating idealistic perfection.
5/29/2018 4:31 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 5/29/2018 4:27:00 PM (view original):
And it isn't barely. Black single mother have poverty rates above 40% white white single mothers are less than 30%.
This figure is dragged down by the disproportionate number of single black welfare mothers. Black two-parent families earned 87% of what white two-parent families earned. Also distorting the median is the disproportionate number of blacks who live in the South, where wages are lower overall. If you look only at specific areas rather than at the nation as a whole, black household earnings exceeded whites’ in 130 cities and counties across the nation.
5/29/2018 4:32 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 5/29/2018 4:31:00 PM (view original):
Nah, he is. I am trying to be logical here.
5/29/2018 4:33 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 5/29/2018 4:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gomiami1972 on 5/29/2018 4:31:00 PM (view original):
Nah, he is. I am trying to be logical here.
It takes two to debate, brother. :)
5/29/2018 4:33 PM
Right. So should I let it be?
5/29/2018 4:35 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 5/29/2018 4:35:00 PM (view original):
At some point, you must recognize absurdity and disengage. I'm not necessarily calling bad_luck absurd. I'm calling the time and energy spent by both of you to change the mind of the other (which clearly will never happen) as an absurd act.

There are a million points of contention. This one seems to be at an impasse.
5/29/2018 4:40 PM
Then again, if both of you are having fun, who am I to mediate?
5/29/2018 4:42 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 5/29/2018 4:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 5/29/2018 4:35:00 PM (view original):
At some point, you must recognize absurdity and disengage. I'm not necessarily calling bad_luck absurd. I'm calling the time and energy spent by both of you to change the mind of the other (which clearly will never happen) as an absurd act.

There are a million points of contention. This one seems to be at an impasse.
You're right. Anyone who suggests a 99% tax is not someone rational and worthy of debate.

Thanks
5/29/2018 4:44 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 5/29/2018 4:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 5/29/2018 4:27:00 PM (view original):
This figure is dragged down by the disproportionate number of single black welfare mothers. Black two-parent families earned 87% of what white two-parent families earned. Also distorting the median is the disproportionate number of blacks who live in the South, where wages are lower overall. If you look only at specific areas rather than at the nation as a whole, black household earnings exceeded whites’ in 130 cities and counties across the nation.
These points seem to back me up:

This figure is dragged down by the disproportionate number of single black welfare mothers. Black two-parent families earned 87% of what white two-parent families earned.

Also distorting the median is the disproportionate number of blacks who live in the South, where wages are lower overall.

Also, isn't it possible that wages are lower in the South because so many blacks live there?

If you look only at specific areas rather than at the nation as a whole, black household earnings exceeded whites’ in 130 cities and counties across the nation.

That's called selection bias. If you only look at the areas where blacks do well and whites do poorly, you are getting a distorted image of the real picture.
5/29/2018 4:47 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 5/29/2018 3:03:00 PM (view original):
Which posts?
End of 222 and beginning of 223.
5/29/2018 5:15 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 5/29/2018 3:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 5/29/2018 3:00:00 PM (view original):
What is the overweight equivalent to Jim Crow and Redlining?
Blatant job denials, shaming via adds for attractive people. Come on man. And there aren't any real laws to protect these persons. Just fake diets.
  • At least 30 million people of all ages and genders suffer from an eating disorder in the U.S.
  • Every 62 minutes at least one person dies as a direct result from an eating disorder.
  • Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness.
  • 13% of women over 50 engage in eating disorder behaviors.
  • In a study following active duty military personnel over time, 5.5% of women and 4% of men had an eating disorder at the beginning of the study, and within just a few years of continued service, 3.3% more women and 2.6% more men developed an eating disorder.
  • Eating disorders affect all races and ethnic groups.
  • Genetics, environmental factors, and personality traits all combine to create risk for an eating disorder.
Seriously? If you think that equivalates to Jim Crow then you are out of your mind.

Are fat people lynched? Do we have all-fat schools?
5/29/2018 5:19 PM
Posted by all3 on 5/29/2018 3:29:00 PM (view original):
Why are we just discussing racism against blacks? What about the racism of blacks? No idea where to look for the numbers, but I'd bet the % of blacks who are racist is much higher than the % of whites. I'd also bet the % of racist whites has decreased much more over the last couple decades than the % of racist blacks. It's kind of hard for any race to say "Yeah, I'm cool with them.", when you have some of them screaming "I hate your black/white guts." in your face. Shouldn't addressing the racism of blacks be part of the discussion on how to make the problem better (it will never be eliminated)?
I don't see how this is relevant to the discussion. Unless you can name an institutionally racist practice against white people this is a big fat nothingburger.
5/29/2018 5:21 PM
◂ Prev 1...223|224|225|226|227...937 Next ▸
TRUMP: Best President ever Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.