Ok...what's the secret? Topic

Posted by schwarze on 7/18/2024 4:49:00 PM (view original):
Also, just because you set a guy at 10/10 doesn't mean he'll never throw more than 10 pitchers. I've gotten burned many times when a guy I set at 10/10 throws 17 pitchers or a guy at 15/15 throws 21 pitches (and those guys get shelled). Really ticks me off, so I tend to be conservative and put a guy who should be 15/15 to 10/10.

As a result, many of my modern day RPs won't even average an inning per appearance. It's a flaw of the game, as modern day closers rarely can complete a 9th inning without reaching their pitch count, at least at caps above $80M.

When given the flexibility in the theme leagues I join (I rarely play in open leagues), I almost never take modern day RPs, and instead gravitate toward low-IP starting pitchers for my bullpen.
A pitch count of 10/10 means that pitcher will not START a new PA if he has reached 10 or more pitches already.

A pitcher set at 10/10 CAN exceed the max pitch count, and sometimes by quite a bit, if he starts his last hitter with a pitch count of 9 already. The SIM randomly assigns a number of pitches for a PA depending on the outcome of that PA. If the last PA is a walk and the SIM assigns 8 pitches for that walk, then your reliever will finish his appearance at 17 pitches even when set at 10/10.

It should be noted though that pitchers experience drops in fatigue and performance only BETWEEN batters and not during a PA. When the 10/10 reliever starts his last PA at 9 pitches, the entirety of that PA plays out based on in-game fatigue for 9 pitches.
7/22/2024 12:42 PM
Posted by eastvanmungo on 7/15/2024 6:38:00 PM (view original):
You are definitely going way over the required number of innings, even if you were playing in Coors.

I'll disagree with d_rock a bit...

I see fatigue kill more teams than any other single factor.
I routinely use around 1500 innings, so I don't have to micro-manage my pitchers.
Batters are a bit less crucial. I want my best guys to be able to play, without being too fatigued, whenever the game is important... but my bench guys can wear down as they are usually only in during blowouts.

If that’s what you’re comfortable with, then I won’t argue that, but I do want to emphasize that I don’t micromanage with fewer than 1380 innings, I prefer set and forget lineups. You just have to understand

1) how Sparky uses his pen

I usually have my two biggest innings eaters as my Setup A with the lowest OAV, because that’s how Sparky determines his hierarchy when multiple guys have the same role, and my cheap crappy Long B to chew innings when the game is out of hand early. I also have a mop that I burn in losses late. I also only do closers when I’m trying to do something fun, but when I’m trying to win, I don’t want them interrupting another player’s pitch count, and now I have two guys out of commission for the next game. Also the 2nd or 3rd Setup B will never get used, so that’s where I’ll have the guys with less than 30 innings, usually with a higher IP/G so when they do get used, I can reach their RL innings. And appearance fatigue can get in the way, so I usually max out the amount of pitchers I draft, and have a smaller bench.

2) That you’re drafting pitches, not innings

I realize this is a bit contradictory to what I’ve been saying earlier, but the SIM allocates pitches, not innings, to a player’s fatigue.

If you have two guys with 240 innings, one of them a deadballer with a K/9 of 3, and a BB/9 of 2, he will have a lot less pitches allocated to him than say Randy Johnson with a K/9 of 10, and a BB/9 of 3. More pitches means you can draft less innings, where you can significantly upgrade the quality of said innings.

7/22/2024 12:45 PM
Posted by redwingscup on 7/22/2024 11:37:00 AM (view original):
I used 6 of those parameters as my starting point Ribben. Looks like we're on the same page.
The 8 parameters I have listed in order are IP/162 --- $/IP --- HR/9# --- OAV# --- WHIP# --- ERC# --- BB/9# and IP/G ... I realize I do not need IP/162 since it is there anyway unless I want a range

Instead made IP/9 "6" Plus to see SP .... Was curious to see who would come up with $/IP 32000-36000 and observing (for example) Randy Johnson Set HR/9# 0-0.40 and BB/9# 0-2.75 (want much lower than 2.75 actually) ... Clicked on Column K/9# and there was 1902 Rube Waddell with 14.03 K/9# ! ... Seemed like an anomaly when I saw the actual K/9 is 6.84 then remembered the + comparison to his peers which was a staggering K/9+ of 270 ... (A Value at 35,091 $/IP when looking at Performance History regardless of the Average in 72 Usages of 348 IP and 170 SO and 112 BB)

After having read all this and thought about it I think I must look more at Strikeouts (and in comparison to Bases on Balls) ... Then it seems I must be looking at K/9# and/or K/BB as a limiter but keeping in mind HR/9#
7/23/2024 11:40 AM (edited)
Very good info and I would stress that there are many ways to Win. That is the fun of this to trial/error. I usually dont like newer guys asking for all the tricks because they drafted McGwire and he only hit 40hrs or 68 Gibson didnt have a 1.50 ERA and they blame the game. But if they ask for help and have tried reading the threads, I do help them. The opening poster has been here a while and asked some good questions. Here would be my summary (stolen from this thread).
  1. Use +/- and # in your searches but understand the +/- is not that helpful if you are playing in a completely open league. It doesnt matter if they exceeded the 1957 average if they are playing against 1998 pitchers.
  2. I still struggle with managing a pitching staff with fewer than 1450 innings unless in a pitchers park. Have seen guys Win with 1300 but I am not that smart. But you do NOT need 1700 either.
  3. Range matters more than fielding.
  4. Set your deadball SBs to about 0 or 1. Otherwise they will be 30/90 in SB.
  5. Modern relievers fatigue but Devin Williams may be the exception. That dude has never failed me and dominates often, even better than Gagne. I dont have a lot of luck with 1970s pitchers. Lots of innings, decent performance but NEVER dominate
  6. Almost anyone can play 1B and not kill you. Drafting a great fielder means you are likely wasting money there.
  7. I dont care if Eck only walked 3 in 80 innings. If you are playing Bonds, Ruth, Mantle, etc. He is going to walk 3/9IP. I also have not got close to RL success w/ Rose or Carew regardless of the cap or theme. Cannot figure that one out.
  8. 1894/1930/1994 offensive numbers ALWAYS fall short.
  9. Walter Johnson will get lit up in a HR park in even his good years. So that means other guys with great numbers will also. McLain, Marichal, Verlander give up a LOT of HRs. That can kill you unless you are in a negative HR park.
  10. Defense is expensive BUT important. You dont have to have all A fielders or A range but if you have bad guys at SS/2B or even a couple in the OF, you will lose a lot of games because of it.
I dont Win a lot of titles but I do pretty well in regular season. My focus is usually to have a good lineup top to bottom but I often lose to teams that have 5 great players and 3 weak ones...I havent solved that one yet but I wont change my strategy.
7/24/2024 9:49 PM
◂ Prev 12
Ok...what's the secret? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.