Savage XI Rosters/Commentary Topic

I don't know how to feel after five picks. I hated them all, including Kidd, the moment I picked them. Everybody except Lavine were at or near the top of my value per minute board when I drafted them, and I easily have enough usage and assists for once. Kidd and Bird have a lot of minutes; Lavine is somewhere in between, with Chandler having fewer minutes than I like out of a 2nd rounder, and Robert Williams is absurdly low. I basically spent my 5th on a super back-up whose top season doesn't even play half the game.

Oh, and I gambled and lost on Jerry Lucas. I didn't see but one PF/C slot open out of the four guys between my picks, and he went immediately afterwards. Looking back, that might turn out really, really bad.
4/25/2023 7:50 PM
oh, and Spencer keeps getting great talent literally falling in his lap. How many things would be different if he hadn't gotten Valanciunas there?
4/25/2023 7:51 PM
Posted by ashamael on 4/25/2023 7:51:00 PM (view original):
oh, and Spencer keeps getting great talent literally falling in his lap. How many things would be different if he hadn't gotten Valanciunas there?
I actually built my team to be able to pick up whoever fell in rounds 4/5, regardless of position. A Magic/DeAndre/Marion start? Cool we can fit in whoever falls, whether it’s Billups or Kirilenko or Crash or West or Ibaka or Mourning (or Jonas or Penny)

can’t say I’m sad that my strategy is working so far
4/25/2023 7:54 PM
As usual, you're god damn frightening
4/25/2023 7:56 PM
As usual, it probably won’t work
4/25/2023 8:00 PM
I didn’t have going into round 6 with zero minutes of SF or PF on my bingo card yet here I sit. It’s kind of nice to have my guard rotation basically full now.

I had a very different plan up until the last second, variations which very much included Timelord… and on paper they always looked better until I got towards the end of the draft. Shocked to see myself with Lowry but I think it makes sense for my current theory of the case.

Very surprised ash did not draft Lucas.
4/25/2023 8:01 PM
Posted by dBKC on 4/25/2023 7:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ashamael on 4/25/2023 7:51:00 PM (view original):
I actually built my team to be able to pick up whoever fell in rounds 4/5, regardless of position. A Magic/DeAndre/Marion start? Cool we can fit in whoever falls, whether it’s Billups or Kirilenko or Crash or West or Ibaka or Mourning (or Jonas or Penny)

can’t say I’m sad that my strategy is working so far
It’s a great start. Last time you had Penny you did quite well iirc.
4/25/2023 8:01 PM
Posted by robusk on 4/25/2023 8:01:00 PM (view original):
I didn’t have going into round 6 with zero minutes of SF or PF on my bingo card yet here I sit. It’s kind of nice to have my guard rotation basically full now.

I had a very different plan up until the last second, variations which very much included Timelord… and on paper they always looked better until I got towards the end of the draft. Shocked to see myself with Lowry but I think it makes sense for my current theory of the case.

Very surprised ash did not draft Lucas.
I was being greedy. I thought you were the only person with an opening at the 4 or 5 drafting after me, but Ed just slipped in and grabbed him despite having KG & Drummond already. What a big man rotation he has! I thought the odds were higher that Lavine would go than Lucas (and was right; malone was definitely taking him). Oh well. That's the beauty of playing the draft - sometimes you gamble and get a great value pick. Sometimes you get shat upon.
4/25/2023 8:08 PM
I wanted a Billups/Lavine tandem. I ended up with Hali/Booker.

So I guess you can say it’s not going well
4/25/2023 9:12 PM
fwiw I REALLY liked the Hali pick. In a couple of seasons, if he keeps going as he is, he'll be an early pick for sure.
4/25/2023 9:29 PM
I've put together some decent starting fives but have always faltered with the bench. Lucas wasn't a dire need but he fit exactly what I felt I've been lacking in the past.
I almost waited on him, but decided one of Penny or West was more likely to still be there than Lucas was. Turns out they both were. I went West because I think he gives a higher floor to five teams even if he gives a lower ceiling for two.

I think I may lead the league in turnovers though.
4/25/2023 9:30 PM
Holmes, Faried, boucher, iggy all taken right before bed glad I hadn’t sent a proxy yet…
4/25/2023 10:21 PM
Posted by ashamael on 4/25/2023 9:29:00 PM (view original):
fwiw I REALLY liked the Hali pick. In a couple of seasons, if he keeps going as he is, he'll be an early pick for sure.
I was considering picking Hali over Penny if they both made it to me. He’s really really good.
4/26/2023 9:25 AM
I think he might be ahead of Penny now if you are looking at 1-2 seasons. That’s totally reasonable. Higher efg and ast, and killer 3 point profile.
4/26/2023 9:57 AM
Posted by jkaye24 on 4/26/2023 9:57:00 AM (view original):
I think he might be ahead of Penny now if you are looking at 1-2 seasons. That’s totally reasonable. Higher efg and ast, and killer 3 point profile.
Hali over Penny feels right to me unless you have a plan that really relies on the 95-96 season. Penny has the minutes advantage still but arguably only 2-3 seasons you really want to use, Haliburton with the best, third best, and fourth best season out of the two on a per minute basis.
4/26/2023 11:09 AM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...42 Next ▸
Savage XI Rosters/Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.