YOUR OWN PRIVATE WOODSTOCK Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Paul McCartney solo review...The MCCARTNEY album...here's the thing I don't understand about Paul Mccartney...He is arguably the finest composer of popular music in the past 50 years...He is the living person responsible for the most social change that was funneled through the arts...He, along with the Beatles, stamped the world not only as a musical force unequalled in history, but as a bastion of ideas and norms that are still felt in culture today...Their influence permeated culture itself and redirected social ideals...That is the difference between the Beatles and say, for instance, Elvis, Jackson or Sinatra...The Beatles, with McCartney as 1a or 1 b, (depending on your allegiance), reformulated thinking and established drug culture, hair and fashion styles, the questioning of authority, the introduction and promulgation of Eastern Religions in the Western World, etc...But he is an enigma to himself...His sense of judgement in establishing "rights" and wrongs" pertaining to career moves are suspect, to say the least...Often times, his most powerful material lies outside the framework of his lps, I.e. ANOTHER DAY, JUNIORS FARM, LIVE And LET DIE, et all...how on earth does this first solo album get released in the context of the Beatles breaking up?..He brings a bunch of tunes to the table that were either Beatle rejects, Junk and Teddy Boy(which were written during the Fab Four sojourn to India), spur of the moment tidbits,( The Lovely Linda, That Would Be Something and Oo You which were written and recorded the same day) or instrumentals that have no relevant context to anything familiar (KREEN AKROR with its jungle rhythms, Sing a long Junk, an instrumental rehash of the vocal track, Hot As Sun, a warm up number McCartney has used since 1958 and the two song meld of Momma Miss America...Curious selections considering the eyes of the music world were on him and the wrath of fandom had placed McCartney as the villain in the Beatle breakup...you would think that he would have had a trick or two up his sleeve...He did, of course, have two monster pieces on this disc, the scintillating, Maybe I'm Amazed and the equally seductive, Every Night...But here's the rub...Either of those two songs had they been released as a single could have solidified his place in the rock and roll hierarchy without Paul having to make the long arduous climb back to credibility over the next decade or do...never could understand his failure to put these numbers out as 45's...Replacing any of those instrumental tracks with the forthcoming Another Day and its blistering histrionic b- side of Oh Woman, Oh Why would have given him a leg up in the post Beatle parade, a mantle that he has worked very hard to assume...overall, a tricky lp to grade accurately but I place it in the "C" hemisphere with a lot of promise and puzzlement in equal portions...Kind of like eating ice cream and jogging at the same time...
2/7/2017 10:15 PM
what a great..great review...perhaps i cant be as objective but i give it an A-...even with the instrumentals weaving thematically in and out it remains an incoherent album...no cohesion..it is an album of discrete disconnected songs..there is no flow but there are so many great individual songs to love..it has a real indie feel to it..thats the glue..if it came out today by a new artist it would be embraced and loved. and touted...its rawness is jarring..with all of its flaws it doesnt meet a beatles standard but is still a great collection of interesting songs...and i love the jungle beat instrumentals....thank you so much for your review....i really enjoyed it.
2/8/2017 12:46 AM
Mccartney's RAM...From the opening volley of "**** off girl" in TOO MANY PEOPLE to the the closing snarl of "We believe that we can't be wrong" in BACK SEAT OF MY CAR, this near perfect post Beatle Paul disc is full of sublime references to the Lennon/Beatles/Allen Klein vs McCartney feud...Maybe its imaginary supposition on behalf of this listener or concrete intention on behalf of McCartney, the references are all there...Blatant or subtle, Lennon responded, in kind, with his more abrasive reaction on his IMAGINE album which was as inobtrusiveas a jackhammer set up in your living room while you were trying to do a Rip Van Winkle impersonation... RAM, stylistically, covers all the bases from the hard rockish blast of TOO MANY PEOPLE, where Paul steps up with a mighty guitar break, to the chameleonesque ballad of BACK SEAT OF MY CAR, McCartney proves, once again, that he is a master of songwriting, equally adept at all genres, and the driving force behind the versatility of the Beatles songbook that afforded them the respectability of the masses, not just the rock crowd...Lennon may have been their credibility fulcrum to the "serious" audience, but it was Mccartney's ability to expand their music to world wide acceptance on all musical levels that gave John his platform to showcase his knack for lyrical substance and innovative rock musings...But, back to RAM...The bluesy 3 Legs, with more entries in the other Beatles vs. Paul sweepstakes, showcases his inate ability that the songwriter has with time/tempo shifts that takes a perfectly constructed uptempo R&B number and brings it into another plateau...Musical shifts in mood, instrumentation, chord and melody structures abound on this album...Music oozes from this man's pores...RAM ON, with its false start, may be the weakest cut on the album, with Mccartney strumming a ukelele(?) and whistling and singing his way through the banal melody only to have it resurrected as a coda later on near the end of the disc, which gives it a curious importance to the singer's concept of the song...DEAR BOY, an ode to Linda's old lovers, disguises itself as a doo-wop number, with the complexity of its background vocals, and sparsity of instrumentation...Uncle Admiral/Admiral Halsey is McCartney at his frivolous peak...Listen to the nuances carefully...The thunder claps, the phone dialing, the speaking through an archaic phone connection which simulates a transAtlantic phonecall from America, where the album is being made, back to England, where the recepient , embattled Beatle administrator Allen Klein, is assured by Mccartney, that everything is indeed fine in Mccartneyland despite's Klein/Lennon's assertion that Paul's solo output is just "ANOTHER DAY"...Try to get the trumpet riff out of your head as the proceedings transform from the dreamy phone conversation to the jaunty chorus of "Hands across the water, heads across the sky"...A brilliant ensemble blend of melody and stylitic transformation that few rock songwriters, Freddie Mercury comes to mind, can successfully pull off...This showpiece segueways into the straight ahead, simplistic rock and roll of SMILE AWAY which serves as the perfect foil to the complexity of the Uncle Albert staging...The next number, HEART OF THE COUNTRY, is a finger-pickin country and western ditty that lyrically cohabitates with the melody to express Paul's contentment to lay back on his Scottjsh farm and sheer sheep...The subtlety of this song is in direct contrast to the snarling, driving, anarchristic nature of the following tune, MONKBERRY MOON DELIGHT...maybe the lyrics mean something or are just a jumble of words that go together well, I don't know, but it sure is a fun listen...The straight up rock and roll of EAT AT HOME follows and again, reinforces The Mccartney's satisfaction of being homebodies and away from the destructive rock and roll lifestyle that will claim the lives of many of his peers...LONG HAIRED LADY is a jazzy jaunt through a lyrical salute to Linda which leads to the reemergence of RAM ON for a brief reintroduction...Now, the meat and potatoes of side two...BACK SEAT Of MY CAR...if there ever was a track on his early solo projects that ties Paul Mccartneys supple musical talents into a pastiche of realization it is this doing...From the opening balladry of its initial piano laced segment to the closing grandiose of a rock and roll equivalent to a symphony crescendoing to its ultimate musical climax, BACK SEAT OF MY CAR has it all...His amazing shift as a vocalist to the purest of pure to the rocking rockiest in a single segment shows this superstar's ability to transform a rock and roll album to a complexity of song stylings that have few , if any, comparisons and yet, the disdain for Mccartney was so intense because of his pivotal role in the decomposition of the Beatles, that this disc was critically received with a sharp slap of the rock reviewers back of their hands...But, as time and tide wait for no man, this album has been elevated to the "toppermost of the poppermost" list of post Beatle solo discs...If you've never listened to it, or are a Paul basher, and amazingly, there are many, give this album an unbiased listen...You should walk away with a newer sense and respect for McCartney...If you are a Macca fan and haven't listened to this in a while, then revisit this old friend...It will only reconfirm what you already know...RAM is par excellance..."A" rating...
2/12/2017 10:48 AM
tour de force..........i agree with everything said including comment on ram on....just a few comments to add...many reviewers like to consider Ram to be the first " indie " album but i think that was his prior album McCartney........ram on was a reference to a name mccartney used to use "ramone" to escape detection esp for registering in hotels...the ramones were named after that bit of mccartney chicanery........back seat of my car paid a loving tribute to late 60s brianwilson/beach boys music...ram was a glimpse into mccartney's love of surreal imagery which reached full bloom on band on the run....and imaagine this album already a masterpiece with another day batting second.
2/12/2017 1:14 PM
All correct...Paul Ramone was his hotel "checking in" name...never heard the Brian Wilson/Beach Boys/Back Seat of My Car correlation, but sounds right...Good to hear that we are on the same page with this stuff...More to come...
2/12/2017 2:48 PM
im so looking forward to it.....the beach boys correlation wasnt anything mccartney said but the beatles /beach boys mutual love fest is well known and you can hear strains of late beach boys in the song.
2/12/2017 3:00 PM
Cool comments guys...Yes, more to come...
Up soon, Wild Life...
2/12/2017 3:03 PM
that should be interesting...
2/12/2017 3:06 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 1/27/2017 4:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dino27 on 1/27/2017 11:28:00 AM (view original):
id like to see a bio movie about satchel paige and also a movie about the negro league mlb barnstorming competition..there would be a lot to bring to the screen.....also a ted williams movie focusing on his war years.
Bingo Long doesn't count?
Top 3 favorite baseball movies ever.....depends on my mood. Bingo Long, Bad News Bears and Major League.

I was at Star Wars weekend at Disney World a few years ago, and Billy D came rolling by in his rascal. I was down a path a bit and when he passed me I said, Hey, I'ts Bingo Long! He stopped the rascal turned around and said, "That was a great movie." I said yes sir it was, the best. He smiled, winked and kept on rollin to the autograph signing. What a great moment.
2/12/2017 3:18 PM
i never saw bingo long.
2/12/2017 3:23 PM
Remedy that as soon as you can.

Billy D Williams
Richard Pryor
James Earl Jones

Ton of character actors you'll recognize and even Leon Wagner!
2/12/2017 3:30 PM
Never heard of it, but sounds interesting....

Same genre minus the baseball.....

thoughts on Mother Juggs, and Speed?
2/12/2017 6:19 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 2/1/2017 10:57:00 PM (view original):
I had to invite 9 people to dinner since I couldn't decide who to cut.

1. Socrates
2. Paul Dirac
3. Neils Bohr
4. Thomas Jefferson
5. Confucius
6. Richard Feynman
7. Henry Kissinger
8. Isaac Newton
9. Gottfried Liebniz
1. Jose Canseco
2. Maynard James Keenan
3. Benjamin Franklin
4. My Grandpa Bill Novak
5. Bobby Knight
6. Jack Nicklaus
7. John Paul Jones (the sailor not the bassist)
8. Julius Caesar
9. Muhammad Ali
2/13/2017 7:44 PM
over the weekend i saw an old clive owens movie called shoot em up....it has a cult status.....imagine james bond meets the man with no name and he is on absurd gun skill steroids...the kingsman pumped up with over the top one man show violence spiced with humor......i liked it....clive owens was once considered for james bond..i think they even gave him the right cheek scar...paul giammaca ( spelling )..plays the over the top villian.
2/13/2017 10:00 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...13 Next ▸
YOUR OWN PRIVATE WOODSTOCK Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.