Things we’ve learned in Aaron/Ruth Topic

lots of very good info
Awsome job guys, thanks and keep'em coming.
6/5/2006 12:10 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By ttnorm on 6/04/2006
Quote: Originally Posted By MikeT23 on 6/04/2006

I used my minor league pitchers a lot by comparison in ST. I'm paying for it in injuries and fatigue.
USE YOUR PITCHERS SPARINGLY IN SPRING TRAINING.
Ok I'm confused now. Someone has to pitch in ST. Are you saying that you used only minor league pitchers in ST or that you spread your pitching out to a lot of guys (and still have fatigue/injury issues)?

Bottom line, what would you do differently in ST to avoid pitcher fatigue and injuries in the regular season?

BTW, thanks for getting this thread going. Great stuff!

I'd use more pitchers with lower pitch counts. I mostly used my AAA and AA guys. Low A, High A and rookie didn't get much work along with my ML pitchers.
6/5/2006 6:07 AM
We've also learned that there is no cap for money included in a deal. You can get a player for free if your trading partner includes enough cash to pay his salary.
Find a dumbass willing to make a trade like that and do it.
6/5/2006 6:47 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By dalailama12 on 6/04/2006
Do we have translations yet for glove/range...or said another way...what ratings are considered major league....for example, playing in tacoma, if the batter has a zero power, great eye, great fieding / range and great speed, is it possible to have an overall of 50? Is an 80range translate to A? Is a 75 fielding an A Do you need to have a speed of 99 to get Chone? Also, I am assuming that Tacoma will be the exact opposite of Coors. Therefore, barring major / minor injuries, will the defensive aptitude save the P/IP ratio as well? I'm also assuming two things....groundball ratio is better (less bad things can happen), and defense is even more important in HBD due to the initial balance of the squads...and oh yes, I am already looking for a team of Brett Butlers and Richie AShburns
1. When you edit your player settings there is a window that tells you the ML averages for the different defensive ratings at each position, so you use that to guage the quality of your players' defensive ratings.

2. You can't think in terms of simleague defensive ratings. In fact, you shouldn't really think of anything in HBD in terms of how it translates into simleague data. They are completely different games.

3. I don't pay much attention to overall ratings because they can be very deceptive. There are so many ratings incorporated into the overall rating and they are not all equally important. For example, I may have a great hitting DH who has a mediocre overall rating because he has poor defensive ratings that bring down his overall rating.
6/5/2006 9:06 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By Indy_Indians on 6/03/2006
Don't anyone laugh, I already mapped out my budget for season 1. Just have to stick with it now.

Nothing laughable there. You have the chance to plan with input from the bata tester.
6/5/2006 9:06 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By jmbreslin on 6/03/2006
Here's one more thing I'm learning: you need to plan for injuries. Make sure you have access to backups, either on your ML roster or AAA guys who can be called up to fill the need.

Best suggestion from anyone. Injuries can play havoc with your team( like in real life). My best starter, my best reliever and my best SS are all on DL. I began the season with by being 4-2. Since then, i am 1-6
6/5/2006 9:08 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By carlnault on 6/04/2006a mistake i made was overstating the importance of velocity...i avoided what turned out to be a couple of good pitchers with a 48 or so...looking at weena's staff for example...it is good without huge velocity numbers..try not to overemphisize a particular stat....it really is everything combined

If the pitcher is primarly a fastball pitcher, velocity counts a lot. Wuth breaking ball pitchers, it does not matter as much
6/5/2006 9:11 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By carlnault on 6/04/20061 more thing i want to share.....dont spend 6mill on your advanced scouting...it will leave you the inability to make trades....it really is that important....we are not as sure about the other scouting departments but that has to be maxed or close to it....

Agreed. In RUTH'S world, differences of opinions about the value of traded players have led to some bad blood between owners.
6/5/2006 9:14 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By toddcommish on 6/04/2006
Quote: Originally Posted By antonsirius on 6/04/2006

Quote: Originally Posted By carlnault on 6/04/2006
a mistake i made was overstating the importance of velocity...i avoided what turned out to be a couple of good pitchers with a 48 or so...looking at weena's staff for example...it is good without huge velocity numbers..try not to overemphisize a particular stat....it really is everything combined
The thing I've really concentrated on are the 'modifier' ratings: vLH and vRH, making sure my starters have at least three major league quality (60+) pitches, that sort of thing.
Right now, we're all just fishing to find the most important "ratings" to consider. Hitting is waaay ahead of pitching because it's easy to isolate Contact/Power as major considerations, while we're still testing the pitching ratings. We have some ridiculous hitting statistics and are trying to figure out why the top few pitchers have been successful.

I do not trust early season stats. If it plays like real life, pitching and hitting will balance out over the season
6/5/2006 9:15 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By Indy_Indians on 6/04/2006
Hey Mudbone and everyone else from the two current worlds, how many guys were on your ST roster anyway and off of that how many were pitchers?

i had 40 players on my ST team and 18 of them were pitchers. I used a lot of my AAA and AA pitchers. A few of these minor leaguers are now on DL including one i lost for the season.
6/5/2006 9:19 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By jmbreslin on 6/05/2006
Quote: Originally Posted By dalailama12 on 6/04/2006

Do we have translations yet for glove/range...or said another way...what ratings are considered major league....for example, playing in tacoma, if the batter has a zero power, great eye, great fieding / range and great speed, is it possible to have an overall of 50? Is an 80range translate to A? Is a 75 fielding an A Do you need to have a speed of 99 to get Chone? Also, I am assuming that Tacoma will be the exact opposite of Coors. Therefore, barring major / minor injuries, will the defensive aptitude save the P/IP ratio as well? I'm also assuming two things....groundball ratio is better (less bad things can happen), and defense is even more important in HBD due to the initial balance of the squads...and oh yes, I am already looking for a team of Brett Butlers and Richie AShburns
1. When you edit your player settings there is a window that tells you the ML averages for the different defensive ratings at each position, so you use that to guage the quality of your players' defensive ratings.

2. You can't think in terms of simleague defensive ratings. In fact, you shouldn't really think of anything in HBD in terms of how it translates into simleague data. They are completely different games.

3. I don't pay much attention to overall ratings because they can be very deceptive. There are so many ratings incorporated into the overall rating and they are not all equally important. For example, I may have a great hitting DH who has a mediocre overall rating because he has poor defensive ratings that bring down his overall rating.

I got trough a trade a pitcher that had only a 55 rating. Quite good. But his defensive rating and batting rating are quite low. He has high durability, lower than average stamina but great control, 3 great pitches, very good health. Exactly what i am looking for in a reliever. Of course 55 overall rating isn't bad, but for what i will use him for ( long relief), he is more of a 62-63
6/5/2006 9:23 AM
With all-due-respect to everyone’s commitment and knowledge of WIS, I would advise against anyone going for more than 1 HBD team in the early run. Get to know the game by playing out at least one full league before you commit to a number of leagues at once. getting in over your head can really screw up your franchise in that world.
6/5/2006 11:15 AM
Are you guys seeing any correlation between the amount of money you put toward training/medical and your injuries? It seems that everyone is seeing injuries regardless of their medical allocation.
6/5/2006 11:41 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By wolvie14 on 6/05/2006
Quote: Originally Posted By carlnault on 6/04/2006
1 more thing i want to share.....dont spend 6mill on your advanced scouting...it will leave you the inability to make trades....it really is that important....we are not as sure about the other scouting departments but that has to be maxed or close to it.....

Agreed. In RUTH'S world, differences of opinions about the value of traded players have led to some bad blood between owners.
Wait...so we want to spend a lot on advanced scouting? That makes it sound like we shouldn't spend 6 million on it and that's the max...or maybe the max is higher...I'm confused.
6/5/2006 11:46 AM
Advanced scouting shows you the projected ratings for ALL players in the league. If you spend a lot, you'll get (supposedly) more accurate projections. We've had trades where owners are basing their decisions on those projected numbers and we're seeing variance of 20-25% in the number.
Big difference between a hitter with contact/power of 80/80 vs. 60/60.
Theoretically, whoever spent more on Advanced scouting has the closer number.
6/5/2006 12:01 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...43 Next ▸
Things we’ve learned in Aaron/Ruth Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.