MLB: a bag of a**holes. Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 5/28/2014 8:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by The Taint on 5/28/2014 7:06:00 AM (view original):
I finally just said **** it and gave up. If a guy can't figure out you can't get a hit, drive in a run, or do anything productive offensively when you're striking out all the time, I don't know what else more to say.
No one is saying that striking out is good. Overall, it's the same as any other out--bad. Obviously a hit or a walk is preferable.
Are two strikeouts the same as a ground out advancing a batter from second to third, followed by a sac fly?
5/28/2014 9:25 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 5/28/2014 8:56:00 AM (view original):
And you never answered: was Kendrick trying to ground out?
No, he approached the AB with the intention to drive the ball the other way and that if he happened to ground out, it would be to the right side where the runner could move over.  No-one ever tries to make an out unless they are sac hitting.
5/28/2014 9:46 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 5/28/2014 9:25:00 AM (view original):
I finally just said **** it and gave up. If a guy can't figure out you can't get a hit, drive in a run, or do anything productive offensively when you're striking out all the time, I don't know what else more to say.
No one is saying that striking out is good. Overall, it's the same as any other out--bad. Obviously a hit or a walk is preferable.
Are two strikeouts the same as a ground out advancing a batter from second to third, followed by a sac fly?
Let me answer for him:  You are never playing for just one run, so overall it's a bad thing.
5/28/2014 9:51 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 5/28/2014 9:25:00 AM (view original):
Has a strikeout ever fallen in for a bloop hit?
5/28/2014 9:52 AM
has a strikeout ever turned into a GIDP? You can add three of your precious advance-the-runner outs for every rally-killing GIDP and still come out behind.
5/28/2014 9:56 AM
Yes, a strikeout has turned into the same result as a grounded into double play. 
5/28/2014 9:58 AM
Posted by The Taint on 5/28/2014 9:46:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 5/28/2014 8:56:00 AM (view original):
And you never answered: was Kendrick trying to ground out?
No, he approached the AB with the intention to drive the ball the other way and that if he happened to ground out, it would be to the right side where the runner could move over.  No-one ever tries to make an out unless they are sac hitting.
So he was trying to get a hit and advancing the runner was a lucky accident. Had no one been on base it would have just been an out and had the runner been on first instead, the ground ball would have been a much worse outcome.

I think we need to review. Run values of individual outs can vary but players don't get to pick and choose how and when they make their outs. Guys who strikeout a lot will strikeout in situations where you want contact. And guys who make a lot of outs in play will do so when a double play is possible. Overall, outs are outs. Even productive outs aren't really worth anything (they still reduce the amount of runs you'll score on average).
5/28/2014 10:11 AM
"Overall, outs are outs. Even productive outs aren't really worth anything (they still reduce the amount of runs you'll score on average)"

What reduces the amount of runs you'll score on average more?  Productive outs which advance runners, or non-productive outs (suck as K's) which don't?

You may refer to your run expectancy chart to provide examples.  Please show your work.

5/28/2014 10:32 AM
Posted by tomhanrahan on 5/28/2014 9:56:00 AM (view original):
has a strikeout ever turned into a GIDP? You can add three of your precious advance-the-runner outs for every rally-killing GIDP and still come out behind.

"Oh no.   I'll just hit into a double play if I make contact.  It's probably just better to not even swing."

5/28/2014 10:32 AM

Calhoun said the Angels have also increased the volume of swings they’ve taken under Baylor. The Angels have also returned to having hitters taking live batting practice, although that’s more for the benefit of the pitchers.

One of Baylor’s stated goals when he was hired last year was to help the Angels decrease their strikeouts, although they were about average last year in terms of striking out.

Manager Mike Scioscia said Baylor has worked with hitters on both the mentality and the technique of putting the ball in play with two strikes when the situations arise.

The Angels stressed situational hitting in Spring Training, with hitting coach Don Baylor calling out specific situations during batting practice.

Lansford, 53, wants the Rockies to execute better on offense.

"I am really going to emphasize fundamental baseball," he said. "Moving runners over, being unselfish, using the entire field. And we are going to talk about the expectation of winning, of showing up that first day with the mindset of how are we going to win the World Series. I want the guys to get that winning attitude."

P-D: How do you define a quality at-bat — a hard hit is a quality at-bat obviously, but there’s so much more to it than that, right?

Mabry: A quality at-bat could be a damn grand slam. That’s high quality! We read the stuff you guys say. We’re not against home runs. You just can’t go up there and swing from your bottom and expect to drive balls out of the ballpark with any consistency. You have to have a quality approach, which a lot of these guys do. There isn’t a “home run hitter” where all he does is hit home runs and strike out. We want guys to drive the ball in the gap, drive the ball out of the park, move the runners along, play the game the right way, and have a quality at-bat. That means getting pitches in your zone, and understanding what your zone is.

P-D: Do you think you put a greater emphasis on situational hitting than McGwire did?

Mabry: No. McGwire put a focus on situational hitting as well. Situational hitting is used to score runs when you can’t otherwise produce runs. … So if we get a leadoff double — go back and look last year how many times did we ground the ball to the right side to get the runner to third. We’re trying to do that so we create a scoring opportunity. If we get a ball through the hole, it’s a bonus. At the least we want the guy at third with one out so we can get a sacrifice fly, a passed ball, an error, a chopper to the infield so that anything scores a run. Every team does this so they can create scoring opportunities. That’s the name of the game.

5/28/2014 10:41 AM
I could post snippets from hitting coaches all day talking about how important situational hitting is.  It's weird, cause almost all of them talk about cutting down on strikeouts also.  Of course what do they know?  They left their slide rule at home.
5/28/2014 10:47 AM (edited)
Posted by tecwrg on 5/28/2014 10:33:00 AM (view original):
"Overall, outs are outs. Even productive outs aren't really worth anything (they still reduce the amount of runs you'll score on average)"

What reduces the amount of runs you'll score on average more?  Productive outs which advance runners, or non-productive outs (suck as K's) which don't?

You may refer to your run expectancy chart to provide examples.  Please show your work.

Double plays actually reduce run scoring by the most. Maybe you should be complaining that players ground out too much.
5/28/2014 11:01 AM (edited)
I don't know if there's anyone too upset that the guy with a man on 1st and 1 out didn't make contact.
5/28/2014 10:55 AM
5/28/2014 11:01 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 5/28/2014 11:01:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 5/28/2014 10:33:00 AM (view original):

Double plays actually reduce run scoring by the most. Maybe you should be complaining that players ground out too much.
That's avoiding the question.  I'll re-ask:

What's better: productive outs that advance runners, or non productive outs, such as strikeouts, that do not?

You may refer to your run expectancy charts to help formulate your answer.  Please show your work.

5/28/2014 11:17 AM
◂ Prev 1...27|28|29|30|31...49 Next ▸
MLB: a bag of a**holes. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.