Things we’ve learned in Aaron/Ruth Topic

Quote: Originally posted by nickinaround on 6/10/2006Question 1 : Does playing minor leaguers in spring training do anything to their options or salaries ?

Question 2 : is there any reason I shouldn't move them up right away to the majors? Even if they have only played 1 season in the minor league.

Question 3:is the overall rating and all the other ratings of my guys in minor leagues at the same quality of my guys in the major leagues.

Thanks Guys

1. No, make sure you add them to your spring training squad through the manager's office - player settings - spring training squads

2. How old are they? That's the first thing I look at. How good are their ratings right now? That's one of the biggest questions right now and one I don't think anyone can answer besides the game developers.

Noone else has had enough experience to know the downfalls of bringing a player up to early or when the player should be brought up.

3. That's another good question. The overall ratings don't tell the whole story. How good are they in their major cats? Noone can honestly tell you if a fully developed 65 veteran hitter will perform identically to a still developing 65 prospect w/ equal stats.

I suggest not promoting anyone to your ml roster until after spring training. You don't need to add the player's until then anyway since you can have them on your spring training squad. By that time, you should have a better understanding of how your team plays and what you're planning on doing.
6/10/2006 6:53 AM
Q3: Overall ratings are a bit deceiving. Look at the ratings you consider important. However, they won't change because you move them up. A 45 contact in Low A will be a 45 contact in ML.
6/10/2006 7:38 AM
As far as the over cash, I intended to keep 4m available after FA. I did. And quickly spent it with one trade. 4m isn't enough if you intend to make adjustments to your team(and, due to injury, you will). I'm shooting for 8-9m with team 2.
6/10/2006 7:40 AM
1. If I sign a free agent from the open market to a ML contract I understand he must go on the 40 roster. But if he has zero options, am I required to put him on my ML roster as well; that is , if I want to assign him to the AAA roster will I have to run him through waivers ?

2. My basic concern is I anticipate running out of room on my 25 man ML roster and as I enter into the free agent negotiating period I need to know if that is a real impediment to signing free agents with zero options to ML contracts. Is there anything I can do about it.

Many thanks you very helpful guys.
6/10/2006 7:51 AM
if he has no options, you won't be able to send him to AAA unless you designate him for assignment/ waive. Which would be pointless if you won him in fa.
6/10/2006 8:26 AM
1. Yes, you must put him on your ML roster. That's the only option. Then you can run him thru waivers to demote as mb said.
2. You're only going to be able to carry 25 players either way. Determine who won't be there and run him thru waivers or demote him.
6/10/2006 8:33 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By jmbreslin on 6/09/2006

You're going to have a very hard time being competetive this season with an $80 mil payroll, unless you have a ton of minor league, ML-ready quality talent. You'll be competing against franchises with $100-$105 mil payrolls this season. My suggestion would be to focus on developing your young talent and look to be competetive in 1-2 years. If you have some strong veteran talent, sign those guys and then use them as trade bait to score some rookie talent.
Thanks for the advice. I locked up all 4 arbitration eligble players but am letting the two older free agents go. I am at $53 mil of $80 so maybe I can acquire some front line pitching as I have 2 good 2B's and SS's.
6/10/2006 9:10 AM
As far as ratings are concerned. I think it would help if the developers were able to 'assign' current real-life Major League players HBD ratings. This way we could get a better idea of what to expect.

For example, Adam Dunn:
Low contact, but how low?
Excellent power (90+?) probably
Very good eye I suppose
But how does his versusLHP/versusRHP ratings look like when compared to another slugger like Albert Pujols?

6/10/2006 9:21 AM
Pujols is 99 across the board I would assume.
6/10/2006 9:32 AM
hyno, there has to be something to figure out. The league stats have a breakdown of home/away, vs. LH/RH. It's really in-depth.
6/10/2006 9:33 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By tbone391 on 6/10/2006Anyone have an opinion on this guy?

Power : 100
: 71
Right: 18
Eye: 96

Ideal role: pinch hitter against y pitching. Useless in any other role.
6/10/2006 9:35 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By hypnotoad on 6/10/2006As far as ratings are concerned. I think it would help if the developers were able to 'assign' current real-life Major League players HBD ratings. This way we could get a better idea of what to expect.

For example, Adam Dunn:
Low contact, but how low?
Excellent power (90+?) probably
Very good eye I suppose
But how does his versusLHP/versusRHP ratings look like when compared to another slugger like Albert Pujols?

Nah, a big part of the fun of HBD is figuring this stuff out for myself.
6/10/2006 9:37 AM
anybody know what "stamina", "durability", and "health" actually mean???
In looking through rosters the stamina is seperate so I presume that means stamina during a game or between games (the WIS fatigue)
while durability and health are next to each other:
I have seen durabilities of 20 and healths of 90 - is this the weena who sits out with a paper cut?
while other players are durability of 90 and health of 30 - is this guy who will try to play with a broken leg?
my hunch would be if you have a lot of players low in either of these you need to spend money on your medical staff - correct?
6/10/2006 9:54 AM
Stamina-How many pitches he can throw.
Durability-How quickly he'll recover.
Health-His likelihood of injuries.
Training-keeps players off the DL.
Medical-puts 'em back on the field if they are injured.
6/10/2006 10:02 AM
I think even with a few examples there would be plenty to figure out. We'll always have really ambigous ratings like the stamina, health, and durabilty ones pointed out above.

And as a Reds fan, I'd have to reluctantly agree about Pujols' 99's across the board. Except for health and durabilty (I think).
6/10/2006 10:14 AM
◂ Prev 1...24|25|26|27|28...43 Next ▸
Things we’ve learned in Aaron/Ruth Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.