Things we’ve learned in Aaron/Ruth Topic

It's up to you, but you might also need some contract money for THIS year for international prospects [assuming we ever get any].
I'd say a min of $10M up to possibly $20M if you want to make late trades for veteran help for a final push or an injury replacement. For example, if you lose a starting position player for an extended period, you might want to "rent" a veteran from a lousy team and you'll need payroll to trade for that help.
6/9/2006 2:43 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By zlionsfan on 6/08/2006When you waive a player and he's signed by another team, that takes the remainder of his contract off your books
And when you release a player (who is then an immediate free agent) who is under contract, it was written that you are responsible for anything above the minimum salary (the new team pays the minimum)....so why wouldn't everyone use the waivers instead of outright release? It seems like it could be cheaper for the original team and if the player is not claimed they become free agents anyway, right?
6/9/2006 2:48 PM
Is there a timeline somewhere which will tell us when things happen on what days. Day one.... look over team...day two..... Bow to the HBD G-ds..... etc.....
I will be out of town camping until Sunday afternoon. Need to figure out what I am going to miss. League just got filled.
6/9/2006 3:38 PM
I just had a trade voided because the other team involved inadvertantly (I hope) spent too much money between when the trade was proposed and when it went through, meaning he didn't have the payroll for the trade. This is something to be aware of. The trade was even, and had little chance of being vetoed, so I had built my arbitration plans around having about 7 million of salary cleared by mid afternoon. When the trade fell through, I was screwed, and will end up losing the arbitration eligible player I had hoped to sign to a long term deal. Let this be a lesson to all: don't financially count on a trade going through.
I do have a concern, however. If a player thinks twice about a trade he makes that will up his payroll, can he not just make a few moves that will prevent the trade from going through? And without any penalty? Seems like a loophole.
6/9/2006 4:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rails on 6/09/2006And when you release a player (who is then an immediate free agent) who is under contract, it was written that you are responsible for anything above the minimum salary (the new team pays the minimum)....so why wouldn't everyone use the waivers instead of outright release? It seems like it could be cheaper for the original team and if the player is not claimed they become free agents anyway, right?
For players under contract, yes, you should pass them through waivers rather than releasing them.

If you put someone under contract through waivers and they are not claimed, they do not become a free agent. You can demote them, though (although in the future, they might refuse an assignment to the minors - that's not part of HBD yet), and then if you don't want them to use a roster spot, you can put them on a minor-league Inactive List.
6/9/2006 4:05 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By zlionsfan on 6/09/2006

Quote: Originally posted by Rails on 6/09/2006
And when you release a player (who is then an immediate free agent) who is under contract, it was written that you are responsible for anything above the minimum salary (the new team pays the minimum)....so why wouldn't everyone use the waivers instead of outright release? It seems like it could be cheaper for the original team and if the player is not claimed they become free agents anyway, right?
For players under contract, yes, you should pass them through waivers rather than releasing them.

If you put someone under contract through waivers and they are not claimed, they do not become a free agent. You can demote them, though (although I think there are some situations where they can refuse an assignment to the minors - the help does not spell this out), and then if you don't want them to use a roster spot, you can put them on a minor-league Inactive List.
Thanks Zlion. I screwed up then. I released a couple of 63-year old pitchers who were making about $400K each. Sounds like I shoulda waived them, then sent them to the rookie ball inactive list where they could've mentored the newcomers. But I would have still had to pay them, right? Or would they receive the minor league salary?
6/9/2006 4:59 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By ttjackson on 6/09/2006
I just had a trade voided because the other team involved inadvertantly (I hope) spent too much money between when the trade was proposed and when it went through, meaning he didn't have the payroll for the trade. This is something to be aware of. The trade was even, and had little chance of being vetoed, so I had built my arbitration plans around having about 7 million of salary cleared by mid afternoon. When the trade fell through, I was screwed, and will end up losing the arbitration eligible player I had hoped to sign to a long term deal. Let this be a lesson to all: don't financially count on a trade going through.
I do have a concern, however. If a player thinks twice about a trade he makes that will up his payroll, can he not just make a few moves that will prevent the trade from going through? And without any penalty? Seems like a loophole.
This situation is going to happen to me which I'm very glad because when I accepted one of my trades and wasn't paying attention and its going to put me like 8 mil over the cap so I'm glad its going to get rejected thanks for the good news
6/9/2006 5:22 PM
How can you people be so close to your cap without even playing a freakin' game? Keep some money aside for:
1. Promoting some hot rookie from AAA will cost you $275M every time! You better have money because somebody will get hurt, trust me.
2. Trades
3. International prospects
4. Draft picks. Even if you make picks and sign them to the rookie league, you still hafta pay them a salary.
At a minimum, you'll need $8-10M in spare cash to get through the year.
6/9/2006 5:29 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
6/9/2006 6:00 PM
$10m should be plenty. You can make equalizing trades with payroll. It would be careless for someone with $110 allocated to player salary to go into the season with an $80-$85m payroll. That's just bad planning in my book. Leave yourself $10m and make some trades I say.
6/9/2006 6:26 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By Estrada13 on 6/09/2006

This situation is going to happen to me which I'm very glad because when I accepted one of my trades and wasn't paying attention and its going to put me like 8 mil over the cap so I'm glad its going to get rejected thanks for the good new
Glad it worked out for you Estrada, but I do think this is a problem with the game. We shouldn't be able to make other deals that will put us over the cap if we have a trade already accepted. Not sure how realistic a proposal that is, but it would clear a lot up.
6/9/2006 6:34 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By randallball on 6/09/2006
$10m should be plenty. You can make equalizing trades with payroll. It would be careless for someone with $110 allocated to player salary to go into the season with an $80-$85m payroll. That's just bad planning in my book. Leave yourself $10m and make some trades I say.
$10M is plenty if you're not planning to dip too heavily into the FA pool and don't care if you sign your top draft picks. I carried more cash, but that's just my nature.
6/9/2006 6:36 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By toddcommish on 6/09/2006
How can you people be so close to your cap without even playing a freakin' game? Keep some money aside for:
1. Promoting some hot rookie from AAA will cost you $275M every time! You better have money because somebody will get hurt, trust me.
2. Trades
3. International prospects
4. Draft picks. Even if you make picks and sign them to the rookie league, you still hafta pay them a salary.
At a minimum, you'll need $8-10M in spare cash to get through the year.
I've got salary clearing trades that have been accepted to give me a cushion. The problem I ran into was not understanding that the 24 hour rule for trades to be accepted wasn't literal, meaning I wouldn't have extra time to go to arbitration or sign long term deals with my guys. Eventually I will have the cash you've suggested, just not in the time frame I expected. The other complicating factor was that we thought PM2 was 3 AM, as it had been for setting budgets a couple of days ago. That proved not to be the case. At any rate, I'm learning and making mistakes, and will do things differently next season.
6/9/2006 6:39 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
6/9/2006 6:40 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By Estrada13 on 6/09/2006

This situation is going to happen to me which I'm very glad because when I accepted one of my trades and wasn't paying attention and its going to put me like 8 mil over the cap so I'm glad its going to get rejected thanks for the good news
Glad it worked out for you Estrada, but I do think this is a problem with the game. We shouldn't be able to make other deals that will put us over the cap if we have a trade already accepted. Not sure how realistic a proposal that is, but it would clear a lot up
I agree 100% with you that you shouldn't even be allowed to propose a trade that would put the other team over the cap it just seems rather pointless because no matter what its not going to work even if it gets accepted
6/9/2006 6:55 PM
◂ Prev 1...22|23|24|25|26...43 Next ▸
Things we’ve learned in Aaron/Ruth Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.