Savage XI Rosters/Commentary Topic

Posted by berkelon on 5/9/2023 11:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 5/9/2023 1:12:00 PM (view original):
Okay, couple caveats on Episode 2:
  • it's a long one
  • we wanted to try and hit every team, if some of it seems negative it's because we all wanted to speak on every team and we all can't like every team - we seemed to have mixed views, no unanimous opinions which is good
  • there were things we liked and didn't like about every team
  • I am still very new at editing and filming so cut me some slack, I do not know wtf I am doing
https://youtu.be/MSsFOBofjdQ
Great stuff, and big thanks for all the insight. I think I'm fairly safe from relegation this season. I didn't try to copy jcred again, so I think my build ended up loads better than that shiite show from last season. Listening to you guys chop it up was really helpful, just in terms of specific thinking about this league.

Here's my draft recap:

I took Karl Malone at 12 because I made a solemn promise to myself after last season that I would take two big men with my first two picks. I've gotten it into my head that I win when I have take two big men early, and I lose when I don't. Quite a recipe for success, I must admit. Artis Gilmore is a suitable ingredient in that lazy, broke-*** recipe, so there you have it. Plus, I didn't even realize that fouls were a significant part of the WIS game until recently (they aren't on the advanced stats tab, so I basically ignored them). Also, drafting is much easier if you just take fouls out of the equation, so welcome aboard, A-Train!

I figured I now needed guards and 3's and defense, so welcome Manu and Chauncey. I have all these echoes of past critiques I read on various forum posts switling around in my head...Chauncey is overrated? Manu at the point is legit? I remember butchering Manu one year in the ODL with Barkley, but there are already so many memories of hack jobs of the past already in my brief WIS career, I can't let that deter me from my goal of not finishing 24th again.

Faried and Andersen felt like picks I would make if I was Jackedjamie or some ****, so I felt good about them. Plus, if I know one thing for sure about these leagues it's that rebounding is very helpful. Right or wrong, that's been my biggest takeaway of this mediocre run of the past 18 months.

Mookie was a pick I loved when I made it. I got him two rounds later than he usually goes, and I thought for sure it was Moncrief that Rob hated, not Mookie...I knew he hated Cheeks, that one was burned into my melon, but I mixed up Mookie and Moncrief. Welcome, Mookie!

I figured at some point during my builds I would find myself balled up in the corner, cold and shivering, and Green was the type of guy that would make me feel like maybe everything wasn't broken. Korver was just a pick because I got nervous about having enough threes. Brandon and Biyombo were both value picks I took because Rob and Ben took them in previous drafts. Beasley is only playing three minutes total, but when I just double-checked that to confim, I realized I managed to not pick his best year for those three minutes. Wheeeeee!

Like Billy Beane said, you’ll never win against the greats if you play the same strategy but as an underdog.

Figure out why they picked those guys, and use backlogic to see why they consider them good players, but then use that logic to find the best fit for your team. They might like Brandon and Biyombo in a vacuum, or for a specific build, but they probably wouldn’t have picked them for this build ;)

(Well Brandon is a good fit, actually. I just think you could have maybe gotten him later, or a similar player later. But I think you needed someone with higher usage to backup Karl and Artis)

Anyway, you drafted pretty well! Just maybe find things that no one else is doing to give you an advantage over them. It’ll have a better shot at success than doing the same thing they’re doing but with less experience.
5/10/2023 11:32 AM
Anyway, you drafted pretty well! Just maybe find things that no one else is doing to give you an advantage over them. It’ll have a better shot at success than doing the same thing they’re doing but with less experience.

That didn't work with Jeff Hornacek...
5/10/2023 11:38 AM
Posted by Midge on 5/10/2023 11:38:00 AM (view original):

That didn't work with Jeff Hornacek...
I was actually reasonably close to drafting Hornacek instead of Ceballos.
5/10/2023 11:55 AM
Posted by robusk on 5/10/2023 9:38:00 AM (view original):
Posted by PBandJ on 5/10/2023 9:04:00 AM (view original):
First, I enjoyed the videos. I would love to be on one in the future, just to give my misguided take on things. Especially about my love of Boerwinkle.

Second, I feel that I have some 'splaining to do. Since I went low usage defense early I knew I would need some reasonable usage later. Towns and Booker (aka poor man's no-defense Kobe) were part of that. The picks of Hali/Bane are meant to capitalize on two of the three seasons that are higher on usage and then use their rookie years in almost a platoon. This, I believe, is the only time they are on a team together. Rondo is there for the defense, passing, etc...I know you hate him, Rob. He's a Wildcat, what can I say? Aaron Gordon's Denver seasons were interesting to me and would work well at SF. He only sees the court for 7 minutes of his Orlando career. Dantley plays SG/SF and his usage will back up Booker a fair amount and will be good for drawing fouls (which is a specious strategy if I remember correctly. Worthy plays D (most seasons I use are in the '70s), shoots a good percentage, and helps my usage balance as well.

If I had it all to do over again I would've gone a different direction in round 2. I felt that I was chasing the tail for usage and scoring the rest of the draft. If I would've gone Dream and hoped for Rodman next, or Rodman and then Pip, I would've been in a better spot to be flexible in later rounds.
I can't remember his name now but hopefully you aren't related to that super racist Kentucky fan who used to post here all the time.

I think I am in the minority on Haliburton, pretty sure everyone else in the league liked him where you got him but me. And seemingly everyone likes all of Rondo, Rodman and Wallace besides me. So wouldn't put so much weight on the opinion of one person just because my ugly mug is so prominently featured in some amateur production.
Lord, no. I love everyone. I couldn't imagine being racist and loving basketball. It would be like loving motorsports but hating engines.
5/10/2023 11:57 AM
Posted by PBandJ on 5/10/2023 11:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 5/10/2023 9:38:00 AM (view original):
Posted by PBandJ on 5/10/2023 9:04:00 AM (view original):
First, I enjoyed the videos. I would love to be on one in the future, just to give my misguided take on things. Especially about my love of Boerwinkle.

Second, I feel that I have some 'splaining to do. Since I went low usage defense early I knew I would need some reasonable usage later. Towns and Booker (aka poor man's no-defense Kobe) were part of that. The picks of Hali/Bane are meant to capitalize on two of the three seasons that are higher on usage and then use their rookie years in almost a platoon. This, I believe, is the only time they are on a team together. Rondo is there for the defense, passing, etc...I know you hate him, Rob. He's a Wildcat, what can I say? Aaron Gordon's Denver seasons were interesting to me and would work well at SF. He only sees the court for 7 minutes of his Orlando career. Dantley plays SG/SF and his usage will back up Booker a fair amount and will be good for drawing fouls (which is a specious strategy if I remember correctly. Worthy plays D (most seasons I use are in the '70s), shoots a good percentage, and helps my usage balance as well.

If I had it all to do over again I would've gone a different direction in round 2. I felt that I was chasing the tail for usage and scoring the rest of the draft. If I would've gone Dream and hoped for Rodman next, or Rodman and then Pip, I would've been in a better spot to be flexible in later rounds.
I can't remember his name now but hopefully you aren't related to that super racist Kentucky fan who used to post here all the time.

I think I am in the minority on Haliburton, pretty sure everyone else in the league liked him where you got him but me. And seemingly everyone likes all of Rondo, Rodman and Wallace besides me. So wouldn't put so much weight on the opinion of one person just because my ugly mug is so prominently featured in some amateur production.
Lord, no. I love everyone. I couldn't imagine being racist and loving basketball. It would be like loving motorsports but hating engines.
I had to chuckle at this since I follow F1 and hate cars and most car related infrastructure... but it is mostly a POV / destruction of society thing. I still like engineering marvels.
5/10/2023 12:00 PM
got DAMN that was entertaining! Made me miss some of the old times. I really appreciate the kind words you guys said about me and my team making ability. That completely surprised me and gave me warm happy feels.

I'm not happy with this draft at all, and I've made no secret about it. I am going to bet on myself and my ability to make teams that I'll finish top 10. I tried going the Bird at SG route, but I couldn't even make it work with one team (well, I did, but that team ended up SUCKING).

The iterations are mostly done - I want to try one more this evening and see if I can do an all-5 job I'm satisfied with - and I'll have my teams in tonight. It looks like I'm going to do either a 3 good, 2 **** or a 2 elite, 2 average, 1 **** strategy. I don't know if anybody has ever tried the latter. Probably.
5/10/2023 4:52 PM

Figure out why they picked those guys, and use backlogic to see why they consider them good players, but then use that logic to find the best fit for your team.

This! This is huge. This is everything. When everybody ends up doing the same thing, you end up stuck in a place where you're just trying to be the best at a thing and not the best overall. Those who are really good at the thing will often give harsh criticism because it's not what they would do. You can't take what they say too seriously... well, you should, of course, listen to them so that you can figure out their thing better, but like don't let it make you feel bad or stupid or angry. Sometimes you just gotta try something new. Sometimes you end up starting the new thing that everybody ends up doing. Often times that doesn't end up working - those guys are pretty smart, after all - but it feels really good when you, ummm, crack the code.
5/10/2023 5:11 PM
havent listened to all of it yet but this is amazing work guys...ill be checking out the rest while im finishing checking these rosters

naturally i skipped around to find the segment where you talk about my team(i know im not the only one haha)...i was feeling pretty good about my team before but now im already thinking about what im gonna do for evals next season(joking?)...i really did make a point this draft not to reach for anyone or try to gain an "edge" by doing something that just makes my teams worse(ill have the best rebounding team!, ill have the best efg team! etc)...i definitely agree with ben that nothing really stands out about my team that scares you at first glance...i think that will have to come from oscar, who i feel most owners have kinda soured on...hes the guy that could get me into the top 5 if he plays well
5/10/2023 6:38 PM
Posted by robusk on 5/9/2023 11:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by steelers821 on 5/9/2023 11:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 5/9/2023 10:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by steelers821 on 5/9/2023 10:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dBKC on 5/9/2023 10:39:00 PM (view original):
Oh yeah Westbrook’s top season is killer. Like legit good good, not just “usable.” He was 2nd in MVP and led me to a 2 seed on the squad that had him last season, and I maxed his minutes out.
Yeah liked Luka’s rookie season more than you guys it seemed but it’s not better than Westbrook’s season. You guys have some really good analysis. I wish you all would play in the 52 that’s about the only league I can make a decent team in.
That's a dummy league.
It’s more about creating the best team without having to worry to much about salary where I feel the ODL I’m just doing my best to survive the salary cap. Sometimes it’s fun to not play John Duren. I feel they both provide their own unique challenge.
Creating the best team without constraints is an elementary school problem. This is a big boy site.
booooooooooooooo

52>odl

odl aka who can put together the best partial seasons from the modern players and who can avoid OTs and manipulate mins the best during the season/playoffs(the ben special)

give me the freedom of the 52...plus i like to just set it and forget it sometimes haha

5/10/2023 6:49 PM
hahaha oh ****...that albi intro...i might be missing out just listening...i only switched tabs to the video because the sound dropped

credit to albi tho....he was awesome the back half of the draft after the rough start
5/10/2023 7:02 PM
Posted by dh555 on 5/10/2023 7:02:00 PM (view original):
hahaha oh ****...that albi intro...i might be missing out just listening...i only switched tabs to the video because the sound dropped

credit to albi tho....he was awesome the back half of the draft after the rough start
Yeah, I was surprised not to get more comments about the albi intro, it was my favorite edit... although maybe more subtle than I thought?

definitely needs to be watched and not just listened to get most of the jokes.
5/10/2023 7:11 PM (edited)

Must everyone mock my Donovan Mitchell pick???

Seriously though, so happy for SGA.
5/10/2023 7:13 PM
lol
5/10/2023 7:21 PM
Rob, I recall you mentioning that some guys like Andre Iguodala and CJ McCollum have 0 useable seasons (according to your system). Do you actually believe that as well yourself?
5/10/2023 7:22 PM
Posted by ty84moss on 5/10/2023 7:22:00 PM (view original):
Rob, I recall you mentioning that some guys like Andre Iguodala and CJ McCollum have 0 useable seasons (according to your system). Do you actually believe that as well yourself?
Usable maybe isn’t the right term but as far as Savage I would say they are not increasing your championship equity. They are probably not the types of players that are so bad they are hurting it. Those two are probably right on the line, basically replacement level.
5/10/2023 7:45 PM
◂ Prev 1...21|22|23|24|25...42 Next ▸
Savage XI Rosters/Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.