Things we’ve learned in Aaron/Ruth Topic

Another question: I have a freeagent that will test the waters since his rating is 77. He is also up for arbitration. Should I offer him arbitration instead? Will he still be a free agent if he accepts? Doesn't seem to make much sense because I may lose him in Free Agency anyway.
6/8/2006 12:27 PM
if you can offer him arbitration, he's not a free agent yet. he's eligible for arbitration after his 3rd, 4th and 5th years in the league; after that, he can go on the market. until then, you can sign him to one-year deals at whatever the arbiter rules.
6/8/2006 12:31 PM
Yeah, you're right. I have 2 stud CF's. One is up for arbitration the other is a Free Agent. Sorry for the wrong info.
6/8/2006 12:33 PM
good problem to have.
6/8/2006 12:34 PM
so, if you release a guy, you have to wait until someone else picks him up to get his salary off your books or is that incorrect? and, if you release them before they hit arbitration, then it costs you nothing?
6/8/2006 12:53 PM
If you release a player who is still under a contract then the signing team only pays the minimum - you still pay the bulk of the contract.
If you release a guy who is eligible for arbitration, that means he currently has no contract and therefore his salary is zero.
6/8/2006 1:00 PM
When you waive a player and he's signed by another team, that takes the remainder of his contract off your books.
6/8/2006 1:28 PM
Can you offer a long term salary to an arbitration eligible guy on the day of arbitration, or do you have to do it before arbitration begins? I'm clearing salary via trades that won't be completed until tomorrow.
6/8/2006 1:39 PM
I believe you can offer a long-term contract anytime up until the hearings actually begin.
6/8/2006 1:44 PM
How do prospects carry over from year to year? Do you have to cut some players to make room for your new prospects? Do prospects become free agents after a certain number of years in the minors?

Thnks.
6/8/2006 2:45 PM
marbotty, you have an inactive list at each minor-league level, so while you can cut some guys, you don't need to cut a ton of them.
6/8/2006 2:47 PM
Minor league contracts are automatically renewed unless you release them after the season.
Don't dump too many. You still need to field teams at all levels. And you'll need extras due to injury.
6/8/2006 2:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by marbotty on 6/08/2006... Do prospects become free agents after a certain number of years in the minors?

Thnks.
Yes, a player with six seasons of minor league service who has not played in the majors becomes a minor league FA.
6/8/2006 3:48 PM
What is a good/average pitch count heading into spring training for a starter. I've been warned, don't over pitch your pitchers.
6/8/2006 4:38 PM
the recommendations are good, but i lowered them (even though they were conservative) because i was afraid of injuries.
6/8/2006 4:39 PM
◂ Prev 1...19|20|21|22|23...43 Next ▸
Things we’ve learned in Aaron/Ruth Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.