The Midge52 Season LXXXVI Rosters & Evals Topic

Retro Rocket
dBKC

Draft picks: Chris Paul, Hakeem Olajuwon, Horace Grant, Marcus Camby, Kyle Anderson, Ray Allen

Offense: The offense is led by Hakeem Olajuwon and Chris Paul, who are
both great players, but their offense is not the thing that makes them great. The efficient scorers on this team don't play any defense.

Defense: The defense is led by Hakeem Olajuwon and Chris Paul. Forty minutes per game of 100 D with a block% of 5.8 is sweet. Then Paul gives you 38 minutes of 90 D with great steals. Then you throw in Marcus Camby with his 100 D and 5.5% block percentage. Good luck scoring in the paint against these guys. I just remembered that my first two picks are paint scoring guys. Oops.

Rebounding: It's not great, but it's pretty good. It will be weakened if Hakeem gets into foul trouble.

Batman: Hakeem Olajuwon (I'm not going to tell Hakeem that he is Robin, are you?)

Robin: Chris Paul

Alfred: Horace Grant

What I like: Getting both Olajuwon and Paul is a great start.

What I don't like: Are there enough threes here to keep defenses honest?

Chewy score: 80, which is about how many decibels an acoustic guitar makes
8/11/2024 6:07 PM
Rum & Coke
Midge

Draft picks: David Robinson, Kevin McHale, John Stockton, Donyell Marshall, Paul Reed, Herbert Jones, Kevin Love

Offense: My top three usage guys are also my three headed big, with two guys at 55% eFG and the other one at 60%. David Robinson shoots a lot of free throws at 76% and Kevin McHale shoots 83% and Kevin Love shoots 88%. Feeding those three will be John Stockton. I only have 561 made three pointers, but they're at 41.5% so I'm hoping I can shoot them at at least a 40% rate. This team should score some points.

Defense: David Robinson is great, 38 minutes of 100 D with a 5.6 block%. McHale, Stockton, Paul Reed, Donyell Marshall and Herb Jones will all contribute to the team defense.

Rebounding: Rebounding is always a
concern when you take a drive down Kevin McHale Boulevard. The Marshall and Reed picks were both made in part to try and offset that weakness. John Stockton is also weak at rebounding, but he gets a lot of steals which helps make up for some of that.

Batman: David Robinson

Robin: Kevin McHale

Alfred: John Stockton

What I like: Getting David Robinson with the fifteenth pick in the draft.

What I don't like: I didn't have enough money to finish this team the way I wanted to, which is rare for the 52.

Chewy score: 3.141592653589793
8/11/2024 6:30 PM
Posted by copernicus on 8/11/2024 5:49:00 PM (view original):
nice concept midge - keep up the good work!
Thanks, I was trying to come up with a format that was fairly quick and easy so I wouldn't spend two hours on each team.
8/11/2024 6:31 PM
AK47 Time
PBandJ

Draft picks: DeAndre Jordan, Damian Lillard, Walker Kessler, Michael Porter, Andrei Kirilenko, Walt Frazier, Rudy Gay

Offense: Lillard seems to be a live with the sword, die by the sword type of guy. If he's hot, great! If he isn't hot, not only is he missing a bunch of shots, but his defense and rebounding don't help you at all. Westbrook appears to be there to keep the party going when Lillard is on the bench. With 25.4 usage% and 48.6 eFG% I don't think I want to go to that party. Michael Porter can shoot, but I much prefer the one with an eFG% of 64.6, not this one. I think there will be games when this team struggles to score enough points.

Defense: I would like to think that DeAndre Jordan starts at center and Walker Kessler backs him up, so you always have a good defensive center on the floor. Walt Frazier gives you 42 minutes per game of 100 D, can't argue with that. Andrei Kirilenko is another 100 D who would be best at SG, but you already have Frazier there, so I'm wondering if a SF with better Shooting and/or rebounding would have been a better choice. If Kirilenko and Porter are playing SF and Kessler is playing mostly center, who is your power forward? Rudy Gay? You don't have a single player on your team who is listed as a power forward.

Rebounding: You had better hope that DeAndre Jordan grabs A LOT of rebounds. I guess Westbrook was taken more for his rebounding and passing than his scoring.

Batman: Damian Lillard

Robin: Walt Frazier

Alfred: DeAndre Jordan

What I like: Walt Frazier trying to make the other team miss three pointers.

What I don't like: You seem to need a power forward. Plus, you named your team after your fifth round draft pick, isn't that going to **** some people off?

Chewy score: 300, you'd better hope that Dame hits them all and then some more on top of that.
8/14/2024 8:07 PM (edited)
Hampton's Five
24kpyrite

Draft Picks: Kevin Durant, Andre Drummond, Draymond Green, Klay Thompson, Andre Iguodala, Patrick Ewing, Terrell Brandon

Offense: Plus - Kevin Durant is a great shooter. Minus - He can only play 25 minutes per game. Plus - Klay Thompson is capable of shooting the lights out. Minus - He is also capable of having one of those Paul George types of games where nothing is falling. The problem is that his defense, rebounding, and passing are not as good as Paul George's. Plus - Terrell Brandon has a good assist% with a very low turnover%. Minus - He shoots too much for a guy whose eFG% is barely over 50%. Patrick Ewing has some seasons where he is a good scoring threat. 24kpyrite chose a year where Patrick Ewing has better rebounding and defense. The team might be better with this version of Ewing, but having another 27 usage guy with a fairly low eFG% is not going to help the offense. When Durant and Klay are hot this team will score well, but I'm afraid they will have some games where nothing is going right.

Defense: Most of the guys in the rotation have pretty good defensive ratings, and the ones that don't grab a lot of defensive rebounds. Apart from Ewing, there doesn't seem to be a lot of shot blocking here.

Rebounding: It's a good thing you have Andre Drummond, because Kevin Durant and Klay Thompson haven't gotten an offensive rebound since the Eisenhower Administration. There are going to be periods in every game where you struggle to get rebounds.

Batman: Kevin Durant

Robin: Klay Thompson

Alfred: Draymond Green

What I like: Kevin Durant's shooting, Terrell Brandon's passing, Andre Drummond's rebounding.

What I don't like: The next time you try to build a Hampton Five team make sure Steph Curry is on it.

Chewy score: 4, as in 4 Gold Medals for Kevin Durant.
8/11/2024 11:12 PM (edited)
Pulp Dogs
kammeyer

Draft picks: Moses Malone, Ben Wallace, Elton Brand, Gerald Wallace, Chauncy Billups, Kyle Lowry, Mike Conley

Offense: Your best shooter is Kyle Lowry? That doesn't seem right. Elton Brand does a lot of things well, but the more good three point shooters we add to the talent pool, the less Elton Brand seems to matter. Moses Malone should have plenty of opportunities to grab offensive rebounds. Chauncey Billups is a guy you draft because he passes well, plays good defense, and makes a lot of three point shots. Unfortunately, he also misses a lot of two point shots and doesn't help on the boards. Is it possible to play three point guards at the same time?

Defense: Ben Wallace! With Wallace, Malone and Brand, that's a good start. It looks like you're rotating three point guards in the backcourt and two of them don't play defense. If opposing teams have two good shooting guards Ben Wallace will be catching the ball after it goes through the net.

Rebounding: Just like the defense, all the rebounding is in the
front court and the guards are just standing there saying pass it to me. The rebounding would be a lot better if Wallace and Malone could both play 48 minutes per game.

Batman: Moses Malone

Robin: Elton Brand

Alfred: Ben Wallace

What I like: Ben Wallace's defense and rebounding. The offensive rebounding of Moses Malone. I talked to Moses Malone once. He probably doesn't tell people about it as much as I do.

What I don't like: I kind of like the way you grabbed both Lowry and Conley together in the sixth round, but there was one little problem. You already had Chauncey Billups. So is Billups your shooting guard now? Are you aware that he makes 40.7% of his two point shots?

Total honesty department: I just noticed that Gerald Wallace is on your team. Now I feel much better about your team. A 100 D guy who can play both SG and SF, with great rebounding when he is at SG. G. Wallace, Billups, B. Wallace, M. Malone and Brand is a pretty darned good starting lineup. Lots of D, lots of boards, this team could be interesting.

Chewy score: 2, guys named Wallace.
8/11/2024 10:51 PM
I should probably go back and fix the above eval.............but I'm not gonna do it.
8/11/2024 10:52 PM
Marsha Wallace would help fill in as character actress and animated voice when Gerald & Ben are getting a drink
8/12/2024 2:32 AM
Richmond Oilers
dakjd901

Draft picks: Tim Duncan, Kyrie Irving, Domantas Sabonis, Robert Williams, Zion Williamson, Mark Williams, Terry Porter

Offense: Lots to like here, the absolute worst eFG% on the team is 54.9%, which is Tim Duncan, who comes with about 40 minutes per game of 100 D. The highest usage is Zion Williamson, whose 29.8 usage is attached to his 61.6 eFG%. Next up is Kyrie Irving, with 55.7 eFG% and 24.0 ast%. Domantas Sabonis adds a 60.9 eFG% and a 25.7
ast%. Throw in Terry Porter with 58.4 eFG% and 27.1 ast%. This team will score points. I almost forgot to mention Kyle Korver flinging in three pointers from here, there and everywhere. He hits 49% of his three point attempts and his eFG% is 67.1%.

Defense: It's a good thing this team will score a lot of points. Tim Duncan will probably feel like he is playing 5 against 1. You have John Henson and Robert Williams who can help a little bit, but you also have Domantas Sabonis and his 29 defense following Duncan around like a shadow.

?Rebounding: Duncan, Sabonis, Robert Williams and Mark Williams provide a nice backbone for the team rebounding, Zion and Henson will chip in a bit, and the guards are out there for their offense. Overall I guess it's a little bit weak, but not awful.

Batman: Tim Duncan

Robin: Kyrie Irving

Alfred: Domantas Sabonis

What I like: The offense, this would be a fun team to watch.

What I don't like: The defense, this team is going to be in some high scoring games.

Total honesty department: dakjd901 was hampered a bit during the draft because he was on vacation and at times he didn't have much internet access. He told me that he should have taken a good small forward with his third pick and he still could have grabbed Sabonis later in the draft. I agree with that, but hopefully for him Zion can score a lot to compensate for his vacations
oops.

Chewy score: 5, which is the number of players on his team with an eFG% of over 60%.
8/12/2024 2:21 PM
the old schnauzers
ronsouth1

Draft picks: Dwight Howard, Julius Erving, Nikola Vucevic, Danny Green, Gary Payton, Larry Sanders, Cedric Ceballos, Rodrigue Beaubois

Offense: Dwight Howard is good, as along as you don't pay any attention to the missed free throws and the turnovers. Julius Erving and Gary Payton take a lot of shots for two guys who have an eFG% that is too close to 50% for this league. Nikola Vucevic made 200 three point field goals and it makes you wonder why a guy who in 6' 11" tall and weighs 260 pounds is running around 25 feet away from the basket.

Defense: Now we're talking! Howard, Erving and Payton all play 100 D and a lot of it. Great! It looks like Erving will spend at least part of the time at SF instead of SG. Howard and Erving and Larry Sanders all block a lot of shots. Erving, Payton and Danny Green will all get some steals. Nikola Vucevic has a bad defensive rating, but he will contribute by grabbing a lot of rebounds.

Rebounding: Howard's CReb% is 41.0%, so that's nice. Erving is great if he is at SG, but it appears that he will start at SF. Vucevic helps, mostly at the defensive end. Larry Sanders is good for about 24 minutes per game.

Batman: Dwight Howard

Robin: Julius Erving

Alfred: Gary Payton

What I like: Having three 100 defenders who all play a lot of minutes.

What I don't like: There is a 100 D Dwight Howard who shoots 61%. There is another one who shoots 59%. I don't understand why you took the one who shoots 57%. There is another Nikola Vucevic who is cheaper, plays better defense, is a better rebounder, and has a higher eFG%. Did you take the one you did just because he hit 200 three pointers? Erving is great at SG, with the 100 D and the excellent rebounding. It appears that he will spend a lot of time at SF.

Chewy score: 3, because Robert Horry and Danny Green both won NBA titles with three different teams.
8/12/2024 3:54 PM
Yorks Dorks
samuelyork93

Draft picks: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Jimmy Butler, Christian Wood, Buck Williams, Bobby Portis, Mookie Blaylock, Dereck Lively

Offense: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is a good place to start. I don't really see a solid #2 scorer. Jimmy Butler is good, but since he has to sit a lot he will probably only average about 16 points per game. On paper, Wood is good too, but he also has to sit a lot. Mookie Blaylock fits into the hot or cold category.

?Defense: The defense will be below average for this league. There just isn't a whole lot there to slow other
teams down. You could have had better defense with different seasons of Kareem and Bobby Portis and Mookie, but you didn't go that route.

Rebounding: The rebounding is pretty good. Wood and Portis at SF is an excellent rebounding combo and Giddey will be a plus rebounder when he is on the court.

Batman: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Robin: Jimmy Butler

Alfred: Mookie Blaylock

What I like: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, although I think you should have used a different season.

What I don't like: There is a different season of Bobby Portis which would give you better shooting and defense, and whose rebounding is almost as good as the one you picked.

Chewy score: 38,387 or 1, the first being the totals points Kareem scored and the second being the number of three point goals he made.
8/12/2024 4:24 PM
Posted by Midge on 8/12/2024 3:54:00 PM (view original):
the old schnauzers
ronsouth1

Draft picks: Dwight Howard, Julius Erving, Nikola Vucevic, Danny Green, Gary Payton, Larry Sanders, Cedric Ceballos, Rodrigue Beaubois

Offense: Dwight Howard is good, as along as you don't pay any attention to the missed free throws and the turnovers. Julius Erving and Gary Payton take a lot of shots for two guys who have an eFG% that is too close to 50% for this league. Nikola Vucevic made 200 three point field goals and it makes you wonder why a guy who in 6' 11" tall and weighs 260 pounds is running around 25 feet away from the basket.

Defense: Now we're talking! Howard, Erving and Payton all play 100 D and a lot of it. Great! It looks like Erving will spend at least part of the time at SF instead of SG. Howard and Erving and Larry Sanders all block a lot of shots. Erving, Payton and Danny Green will all get some steals. Nikola Vucevic has a bad defensive rating, but he will contribute by grabbing a lot of rebounds.

Rebounding: Howard's CReb% is 41.0%, so that's nice. Erving is great if he is at SG, but it appears that he will start at SF. Vucevic helps, mostly at the defensive end. Larry Sanders is good for about 24 minutes per game.

Batman: Dwight Howard

Robin: Julius Erving

Alfred: Gary Payton

What I like: Having three 100 defenders who all play a lot of minutes.

What I don't like: There is a 100 D Dwight Howard who shoots 61%. There is another one who shoots 59%. I don't understand why you took the one who shoots 57%. There is another Nikola Vucevic who is cheaper, plays better defense, is a better rebounder, and has a higher eFG%. Did you take the one you did just because he hit 200 three pointers? Erving is great at SG, with the 100 D and the excellent rebounding. It appears that he will spend a lot of time at SF.

Chewy score: 3, because Robert Horry and Danny Green both won NBA titles with three different teams.
thanks for the feedback. i pulled the squad and tweeked it a bit after your comments. my intent with erving is to start him at sf and then use him to help back up green a bit. as for vukovic i just had never tried him before i like bigs who can shootsome 3’s and provide rebounding and assists. so i said what the hell lets give it a try. now i have chosen the better defensive version as you pointed out.
8/12/2024 5:03 PM (edited)
Posted by Midge on 8/12/2024 4:24:00 PM (view original):
Yorks Dorks
samuelyork93

Draft picks: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Jimmy Butler, Christian Wood, Buck Williams, Bobby Portis, Mookie Blaylock, Dereck Lively

Offense: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is a good place to start. I don't really see a solid #2 scorer. Jimmy Butler is good, but since he has to sit a lot he will probably only average about 16 points per game. On paper, Wood is good too, but he also has to sit a lot. Mookie Blaylock fits into the hot or cold category.

?Defense: The defense will be below average for this league. There just isn't a whole lot there to slow other
teams down. You could have had better defense with different seasons of Kareem and Bobby Portis and Mookie, but you didn't go that route.

Rebounding: The rebounding is pretty good. Wood and Portis at SF is an excellent rebounding combo and Giddey will be a plus rebounder when he is on the court.

Batman: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Robin: Jimmy Butler

Alfred: Mookie Blaylock

What I like: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, although I think you should have used a different season.

What I don't like: There is a different season of Bobby Portis which would give you better shooting and defense, and whose rebounding is almost as good as the one you picked.

Chewy score: 38,387 or 1, the first being the totals points Kareem scored and the second being the number of three point goals he made.
Glad to see you are as lukewarm on my team as I am.
8/12/2024 5:04 PM
Bushwood Gophers
riftonapple

Draft picks: Dennis Rodman, Joel Embiid, Oscar Robertson, Evan Mobley, Kristaps Porzingis, Jalen Williams, Lonzo Ball

Offense: Embiid gives you elite offense, but the problems with him are he has to sit too much and who can you find that is anywhere close to him that you can play as his backup. Still, I know you won this league with Embiid so if you can get him, you get him. I guess the #2 scoring threat is Jalen Williams. The nice thing about this offense is that it doesn't matter much who is shooting, they're all pretty good.

Defense: Basically you have some 60s hiding behind 80s and 90s. I would feel better about your defense if you had more shot blocking from your bigs.

Rebounding: Dennis Rodman is a one man wrecking crew. Oscar will get some because he has good numbers for a guard and he never sits down. The rest of the team is okay, nothing great.

Batman: Joel Embiid

Robin: Oscar Robertson

Alfred: Dennis Rodman

What I like: Bushwood Gophers, what a great team name.

What I don't like: Your team shoots 37% from beyond the arc, which means that in this league they will probably shoot 34 or 35%. There is no three point shooter that scares me.

Chewy score: 44, the number of minutes that Oscar Robertson averaged per game.

8/14/2024 8:12 PM (edited)
Extraterrestrial
jethroeg

Draft picks: Giannis Antetokounmpo, Jason Kidd, Victor Wembanyama, Mikal Bridges, Josh Smith, Paul Pressey, Precious Achiuwa

Offense: Beside Giannis Antetokounmpo, there isn't any offense that you would call elite. Victor Wembanyama has 32.4% usage to go with 51.9% eFG. Josh Smith is even worse, with 26.9% usage and 49.1% eFG. Jason Kidd has 21.4% usage and 47.6% eFG. Giannis gives you an advantage and the other guys takes it away. On top of that, the top three usage guys shoot 27%, 32%, and 30% from beyond the arc.

Defense: You chose a SF with a 70 D rating to play center when that same play has multiple seasons where he can play center with a 90 or 100 D and better rebounding. Wemby is great at PF with a 100 D rating and a 6.3 block%. It is so stupid that he is not 100% at center. Stupid. The defensive numbers look pretty good, with the worst guys in the rotation having 70 D ratings.

Rebounding: The defensive rebounding is pretty good overall. The
offensive rebounding is okay, but nothing great.

Batman: Giannis Antetokounmpo

Robin: Victor Wembanyama

Alfred: Jason Kidd

What I like: Giannis Antetokounmpo, he's a great player.

What I don't like: Giannis Antetokounmpo, I think you should have chosen a different season if your plan was to play him at center.

Chewy score: 49.7/33.6/72.1, these are your shooting splits, which probably isn't good enough for this league.
8/15/2024 4:13 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
The Midge52 Season LXXXVI Rosters & Evals Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.