Savage XI Rosters/Commentary Topic

Well, let me tell you something, folks. Back in the 40s, the NBA was a whole different ball game. I'm talking about a time when basketball was still in its infancy, and the players were tough as nails. They didn't have fancy training facilities or nutritionists to help them stay in shape. They just had their love for the game and their raw talent.

Nowadays, everyone's all about stats and fantasy points. They're all about picking the players who can put up the most points or grab the most rebounds. And let me tell you something, that's just not how it was back in the day.

Back then, players weren't as specialized as they are now. They had to be able to do it all, from dribbling to passing to shooting. And some of the most impressive players of that era were George Mikan, Bob Davies, Joe Fulks, and Dolph Schayes.

George Mikan was one of the pioneers of modern basketball. At 6'10", he towered over most players of his time, and his signature hook shot was nearly impossible to defend. He was a five-time NBA champion and a six-time All-Star, and he paved the way for big men in the game.

Bob Davies was a point guard who revolutionized the position. He was known for his ball-handling skills and his ability to pass with pinpoint accuracy. He led the Rochester Royals to the NBA championship in 1951 and was named to the All-NBA First Team four times.

Joe Fulks was a forward who could score from anywhere on the court. He was known for his deadly jump shot and his ability to score in bunches. In fact, he once scored 63 points in a single game, a record that stood for a decade.

Dolph Schayes was a forward who could do it all. He was a great scorer, rebounder, and passer, and he was one of the first players to use the bank shot effectively. He led the Syracuse Nationals to the NBA championship in 1955 and was named to the All-NBA First Team six times.

So, if you're one of those people who thinks that the players from the 40s aren't worth picking for your fantasy team, then you're missing out. You're missing out on some of the pioneers of the game, some of the greatest players to ever play the game. And that's just a shame, plain and simple. Take it from robusk, the first three time Savage winner. If you want to win at Savage, then you must know the only way is with the oldest players in the database.

4/19/2023 4:50 PM
So I have some thoughts about adding a new wrinkle to Savage. I think I brought it up before(?) but wanted to give it a serious discussion this time.

I think we should do a Savage relegation like they do in some Soccer leagues. Basically, the lowest Savage score will be booted to the end of the waitlist.

This will give those owners stuck on the waitlist a better chance to get into Savage, while also raising the competitiveness of the league as a whole since those teams near the bottom will be trying harder to avoid getting bumped.

If there are no names on the waitlist, then obviously no one gets bumped. An owner that gets bumped can still play in the next Savage if there is an open spot and they are next up on the waitlist.

I would also consider making it two owners who get bumped. That's my preferred number.

Just to be clear, the "bump" happens as soon as the playoffs end and the champion is crowned. If anyone wishes to be added to the waitlist after that point, they would be slotted after the owner(s) who was bumped.

Sooooo thoughts?

I'd like this to happen this upcoming season. I'll put up a poll and if I get 2/3 league votes(16 of us) it will be implemented this season. If it passes, I will do another poll to determine if it will be 1 or 2 owners who get bumped.
4/19/2023 5:03 PM
Should the owner who finishes last in Savage scoring be bumped to the end of the waitlist?
Votes: 19
(Last vote received: 4/24/2023 11:27 PM)
4/19/2023 5:06 PM
Make it two for relegation.
4/19/2023 5:14 PM
We would be crazy not to implement this tbh. It’s a perfect rule especially with there always being a waitlist.
4/19/2023 5:26 PM
I was just sitting in my rocking chair, being in a grumpy mood because I can’t figure out how to turn my computer on, when I had an idea. When someone commits a flagrant two foul, instead of being kicked out of the game they should go to the penalty box for two minutes and their team has to play four on five.
It will never happen, but it’s fun to think about.
4/19/2023 5:59 PM
I voted “yes I’m savage”. My actual feelings are yes. “I’m scared”
4/19/2023 6:11 PM
Posted by dh555 on 4/19/2023 5:03:00 PM (view original):
So I have some thoughts about adding a new wrinkle to Savage. I think I brought it up before(?) but wanted to give it a serious discussion this time.

I think we should do a Savage relegation like they do in some Soccer leagues. Basically, the lowest Savage score will be booted to the end of the waitlist.

This will give those owners stuck on the waitlist a better chance to get into Savage, while also raising the competitiveness of the league as a whole since those teams near the bottom will be trying harder to avoid getting bumped.

If there are no names on the waitlist, then obviously no one gets bumped. An owner that gets bumped can still play in the next Savage if there is an open spot and they are next up on the waitlist.

I would also consider making it two owners who get bumped. That's my preferred number.

Just to be clear, the "bump" happens as soon as the playoffs end and the champion is crowned. If anyone wishes to be added to the waitlist after that point, they would be slotted after the owner(s) who was bumped.

Sooooo thoughts?

I'd like this to happen this upcoming season. I'll put up a poll and if I get 2/3 league votes(16 of us) it will be implemented this season. If it passes, I will do another poll to determine if it will be 1 or 2 owners who get bumped.
I think the bottom two should be realigned to the returning owner's division who had the toughest strength of schedule. Just to keep equitable Savage to Savage
4/20/2023 9:04 AM
Posted by jcred5 on 4/20/2023 9:05:00 AM (view original):

Sooooo thoughts?

I think the bottom two should be realigned to the returning owner's division who had the toughest strength of schedule. Just to keep equitable Savage to Savage
I am almost certain this is sarcasm but in case anyone takes this seriously, this is impossible to do without disrupting the balanced division logic that was developed.
4/20/2023 9:14 AM
If we are discussing changes I would also be interested in exploring adding a few +10's up for grabs:

4 playoff teams in
Make Finals
4/20/2023 9:42 AM
I recently started toying with a new python library for group partitioning problems at work, so I may take another crack at the division optimization before this season if I get a chance.
4/20/2023 9:52 AM
Posted by robusk on 4/20/2023 9:14:00 AM (view original):
Posted by jcred5 on 4/20/2023 9:05:00 AM (view original):

Sooooo thoughts?

I am almost certain this is sarcasm but in case anyone takes this seriously, this is impossible to do without disrupting the balanced division logic that was developed.

4/20/2023 2:16 PM
Posted by jkaye24 on 4/20/2023 9:42:00 AM (view original):
If we are discussing changes I would also be interested in exploring adding a few +10's up for grabs:

4 playoff teams in
Make Finals
I like the idea of a finals bonus. I’m new so I get it older owners I disagree, it just seems like with how random a 7 game series can get sometimes that the person that makes the finals at least deserves some small reward like 6-10 points.
4/20/2023 2:25 PM
I think flipping the third round is a good idea, but I wonder if it is a bit too much. Would it make sense to flip the third and then flip again, maybe the eighth round?
4/20/2023 4:07 PM
I like two team relegation - great idea dh. Not really sold on any of the other changes. Well except that now I've cleared every player from this century out of my database.
4/20/2023 7:11 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...42 Next ▸
Savage XI Rosters/Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.