Things we’ve learned in Aaron/Ruth Topic

Since your player payroll budget increases w/ cash trades, that causes your season 2 budget to increase as well.

So if you lose player payroll budget by trading cash, your season 2 budget will decrease.
6/7/2006 8:56 PM
1) If I promote a A/AA/AAA player, if and when can i try to lock him up long term? do i have to wait until next season?
i just promoted a AA player with huge upside and I want to lock him up.

2) What if i don'tIf i don't try to sign someone headed for arbitration, what are my options? Do i just wait for the arbitration hearing, reject his offer and let him become a FA?
6/7/2006 9:04 PM
thanks
6/7/2006 9:05 PM
1. There's no advantage to locking him up until he's arb-eligible.
2. You're screwed. Once arbitration is settled, he's yours at that price. Do something before arb if you're not sure you want him.
6/7/2006 9:17 PM
If you don't want to sign someone to arbitration, release him.
6/7/2006 9:17 PM
will he become a FA if he clears waivers?
And if he is a FA, I'll eat his salary if he's not picked up, right?
6/7/2006 9:19 PM
If you release a guy not under contract(awaiting arb), there's no salary.
6/7/2006 9:23 PM
sweet!
6/7/2006 9:27 PM
Make sure you have no use for him at an acceptable price before giving him his walking papers.
Depth is important in HBD. You can't have the equivalent of 200k players on your bench.
6/7/2006 9:34 PM
trying to acquire a good free agent through free agency is a lot more expensive then you may realize.
6/7/2006 9:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dexterdduane on 6/07/20061) If I promote a A/AA/AAA player, if and when can i try to lock him up long term? do i have to wait until next season?
i just promoted a AA player with huge upside and I want to lock him up.
MikeT is correct. To be specific, you have to wait until he becomes arbitration-eligible to sign him to a long-term deal. For his first three ML seasons, you own him - you actually won't be able to sign him to a long-term deal.

Once he has played in his third ML season, he becomes arbitration eligible. You can then sign him to a long-term deal starting with the following season; you can do that at any time during the season.
6/8/2006 12:12 AM
That is very helpful. I'll be more inclined to bring up more boys from the farm who are just as good. Thanks all.
6/8/2006 12:16 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By jmbreslin on 6/01/2006
Don't get caught up in bidding wars for players or coaches because you'll end up overpaying big time. Some of the contracts signed at the beginning of the season were completely ridiculous.
they were ridiculous at the time but did it pan out...or did the rest of the team suffer too much from the lack of money to spread around...
6/8/2006 2:03 AM
about free agency (specifically avoiding arbitration), do you lose credibility by making an offer that they might take as too low? or do you just throw out a number and if they reject, you just offer another one?
6/8/2006 6:53 AM
the players have no feelings.
6/8/2006 7:05 AM
◂ Prev 1...17|18|19|20|21...43 Next ▸
Things we’ve learned in Aaron/Ruth Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.