Shtickless - Unless Being Dead Is A Shtick Topic

o
8/27/2010 2:37 PM
Posted by robusk on 8/27/2010 12:02:00 PM (view original):
More bad news for food:

www.independent.co.uk/news/science/genome-breakthrough-heralds-new-dawn-for-agriculture-2063308.html
Damn commies. They should be patenting that ****.
8/27/2010 2:37 PM
Posted by antonsirius on 8/27/2010 2:37:00 PM (view original):
More bad news for food:

www.independent.co.uk/news/science/genome-breakthrough-heralds-new-dawn-for-agriculture-2063308.html
So corporations can starve the poor and force to eat a bunch of horrible ****?  No thanks.
8/27/2010 2:40 PM
Posted by robusk on 8/27/2010 2:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by larry_jew on 8/27/2010 2:26:00 PM (view original):
More bad news for food:

Don't you mean bad news for starvation?

Go **** a whole foods.
They slightly exaggerate the potential impact but it is in fact a step in the supposed correct direction of growing grain demands (not if you ask me though).

The most important thing is that the genome is a public release. If one of the big seed companies (money grabbing whores) had done so and patented the thing - something they love to do on gene by gene basis - then it would have been a huge step backwards.

The genome sequence still doesn't really address the major problem facing modern crop farming....which is a lack of diversity. Unfortunately this genome is probably going to make the issue even worse in the long term. If farmers are better able to "remove" diversity from their crop's genome as they strive to make the most uniform and "healthy" strain for the conditions they want to mass produce the food in then we may all be doomed. Bit melodramatic but as highly specialized uniform crop is much more likely to suffer a global meltdown if conditions change or more likely a bug finds a "workaround," as they inevitably do (it isn't termed an arms race for nothing), then things could go very badly.
In theory a decoded and public genome could lead to more diversity, as strains get tailored for different climates, soil conditions etc.
8/27/2010 2:44 PM
I need to work from home more often.  These days are awesome.
Posted by robusk on 8/27/2010 2:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by antonsirius on 8/27/2010 2:37:00 PM (view original):
More bad news for food:

So corporations can starve the poor and force to eat a bunch of horrible ****?  No thanks.
You clearly need to be sent back to Roundup Re-Education Camp.
Posted by antonsirius on 8/27/2010 2:44:00 PM (view original):
More bad news for food:

Go **** a whole foods.
They slightly exaggerate the potential impact but it is in fact a step in the supposed correct direction of growing grain demands (not if you ask me though).

The most important thing is that the genome is a public release. If one of the big seed companies (money grabbing whores) had done so and patented the thing - something they love to do on gene by gene basis - then it would have been a huge step backwards.

The genome sequence still doesn't really address the major problem facing modern crop farming....which is a lack of diversity. Unfortunately this genome is probably going to make the issue even worse in the long term. If farmers are better able to "remove" diversity from their crop's genome as they strive to make the most uniform and "healthy" strain for the conditions they want to mass produce the food in then we may all be doomed. Bit melodramatic but as highly specialized uniform crop is much more likely to suffer a global meltdown if conditions change or more likely a bug finds a "workaround," as they inevitably do (it isn't termed an arms race for nothing), then things could go very badly.
In theory a decoded and public genome could lead to more diversity, as strains get tailored for different climates, soil conditions etc.
The genome will allow them to better react to any problems that do arise but the problem is you have to be able to find new and improved versions of the gene from natural variations to put back into the "mass produced" genome. Genetic modification is a possibility though. This is only the genome of one strain of wheat after all so it doesn't really capture which genes are responsible for the phenotype.

There are tighter controls in Europe for the mass prodcution but these seed campanies are global powerhouses. Third world countries are the worst hit by them though. The classic "buy our seed because it is the best (and sold relatively cheap for the potential yield) but then you also have to buy our specific fertilizer for eternity so your crops don't just dies."

Doesn't matter, because if you don't, they just say you stole their's and you go into financial ruin.

Just look at what we did to the soybean and corn.
8/27/2010 2:48 PM
Holy ****, who gives a ****.  Global starvation, meteor, SuperAIDS, whatever.

When we die, we die.

No need to be a Panicky Pete.
8/27/2010 2:50 PM
Although I do often reflect with melancholy over what we've done to the soybean and corn.
8/27/2010 2:50 PM
More bad news for food:

Go **** a whole foods.

If anyone actually read this post I think they should be castrated
8/27/2010 2:54 PM
Posted by tylermathias on 8/27/2010 2:50:00 PM (view original):
Holy ****, who gives a ****.  Global starvation, meteor, SuperAIDS, whatever.

When we die, we die.

No need to be a Panicky Pete.
Even though this wasn't meant to be that sirius, it is part of the solution.

We should be living within our means (what food is available to the local population)...  people dying because they have over-reproduced is usually a byproduct of this.

I just prefer to enjoy my life and not be weighed down by my food...  literally for figuratively
8/27/2010 2:54 PM
Posted by jwelsh1023 on 8/27/2010 2:54:00 PM (view original):
More bad news for food:

Go **** a whole foods.

If anyone actually read this post I think they should be castrated
Heh... probably.

I sort of had some of the commentary holstered I guess.

I have been discussing it with my cousin and roommate (both biologists) all day.
8/27/2010 2:56 PM
Anybody here know something about food production?
8/27/2010 2:56 PM
I say that makes you an *******.  If you're so nuts-out brilliant about everything, stop enjoying your life.  You've got a gift....you've got a responsibility.  Now get off your *** and go save the ******* world.
8/27/2010 2:57 PM
Robusk is worried that science will **** up that knee high by July saying and he'll need new stationary.
8/27/2010 2:58 PM
â—‚ Prev 1...854|855|856|857|858...1822 Next â–¸
Shtickless - Unless Being Dead Is A Shtick Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.