Should KC plunk Bautista because he's a jerk? Topic

I said from the start that sometimes you would prefer one type of out to another, but in general, how a player (or a team) makes their outs does not matter.
6/29/2016 7:15 PM (edited)
Posted by Jtpsops on 6/29/2016 5:05:00 PM (view original):
Don't bother, SJ. BL won't acknowledge the argument at hand.

He says "we" are discussing the value of events as runs, when it's only him. And then he says "thanks for answering the question no one asked", despite the fact Mike's example is what everyone but BL has been arguing this entire thread.

He's either painfully stupid, or in an unhealthy level of denial about how wrong he is.
The dumbass asked "How do we measure that value?"

I answered that EXACT question. What a dipshit.
6/29/2016 7:20 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/29/2016 7:20:00 PM (view original):

He says "we" are discussing the value of events as runs, when it's only him. And then he says "thanks for answering the question no one asked", despite the fact Mike's example is what everyone but BL has been arguing this entire thread.

He's either painfully stupid, or in an unhealthy level of denial about how wrong he is.

Moron.

No one is asking, "when would you value a run more, in a close game or a blowout?"

High run scoring environment does necessarily mean not close games.

The question is how do we measure the value of an event objectively. How much is a single worth? How much does an out cost? Etc. Is there a way to do that without using runs? If so, let me know.
6/29/2016 7:30 PM
Please tell me that was "You already agreed with me".

Because I did. Over the course of a season or career, the type of out probably doesn't matter much. But, in specific situations, they do. They matter even more in low scoring environments. THAT'S what everyone but you is arguing. Who knows what the **** you're arguing now.
6/29/2016 7:49 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/29/2016 7:31:00 PM (view original):

Moron.

No one is asking, "when would you value a run more, in a close game or a blowout?"

The question is how do we measure the value of an event objectively. How much is a single worth? How much does an out cost? Etc. Is there a way to do that without using runs? If so, let me know.
Why don't you just tell us and let this thread die?
6/29/2016 8:00 PM
Because he'd have nothing else to do.
6/29/2016 8:07 PM
6/29/2016 8:17 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/29/2016 8:07:00 PM (view original):
Because he'd have nothing else to do.
He can watch a baseball game.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I made a funny.
6/29/2016 8:32 PM
Good one. He has stats.
6/29/2016 8:40 PM
He can look at the stats.
6/29/2016 8:56 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/29/2016 8:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/29/2016 7:31:00 PM (view original):

Moron.

Why don't you just tell us and let this thread die?
You measure events with runs. There's no other way to do it.

Regarding different run environments, think of it like scaling. The run value of a hit or an out scales up or down with the run scoring environment.

An analogy that might work:

2 houses with the same exact floor plan, one is 1000 square feet and the other is 3000.

The rooms in the smaller house are smaller, even though the person living in the small house might value a single room more than the person in the big house.

The house is the league runs per game and each event is a room.

6/29/2016 9:55 PM
Here's another analogy that works even better.

Think of "runs" as a rotisserie chicken.

In a low scoring environment, each "hit" is a ball peen hammer.
In a high scoring environment, each "hit" is a Rand McNally Road Atlas.

Better?
6/29/2016 10:06 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 6/28/2016 1:18:00 PM (view original):
No, you are. You're the only one focused on that. Everyone else is debating the value of those events relative to the scoring environment and you keep babbling about how many runs each event is worth.

Once again:

Scenario A: RPG = 10. Team misses a chance to score 2 runs.
Scenario B: RPG = 3. Team misses a chance to score 1 run.

Which team's missed opportunity is more costly? (hint: It has nothing to do with the number of runs)
You're still welcome to answer this.

If you want to use your financial example, I'll give you one more:

Guy A has $5 million, goes to Vegas and loses $100,000. Guy B has $100,000, goes to Vegas and loses $20,000.

Guy A lost more dollars. Guy B took a bigger financial hit. That $20,000 was more VALUABLE to Guy B than the $100,000 was to Guy A.

Relative value. No one gives a damn how many runs each event is worth - you are the ONLY ONE who keeps harping on this. It's about relative value. A sac fly, or failure to score with the bases loaded are far more costly in a low scoring environment than in a high scoring environment.

And no, it's not just about blowouts. You missed Mike's point (again). He could have said 13-10 and it would still apply. The sac fly for a team that wins 2-1 is more valuable than the sac fly for a team that wins 13-10. That ONE RUN is 50% of the first team's output. It's only 8% of the second team's output.

RELATIVE. VALUE.
6/29/2016 10:59 PM
Um the $100k is more valuable than the $20k, regardless of how much each guy has.
6/29/2016 11:11 PM
None of this changes the premise that, over the course of a season, how a player makes his outs does not matter.
6/29/2016 11:14 PM
◂ Prev 1...80|81|82|83|84...106 Next ▸
Should KC plunk Bautista because he's a jerk? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.