MLB: a bag of a**holes. Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 5/27/2014 4:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/27/2014 4:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 5/27/2014 2:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 5/27/2014 2:35:00 PM (view original):
There probably is.  I don't have time or desire to look for it.  I'll just go with logic, common sense, critical thinking skills, conventional baseball wisdom, etc.

Is there any evidence that teams score more runs when they strikeout more?  Is there such a thing as a productive strikeout?

There probably is? I think you have plenty of time to look it up. It's easy. Go to any team stat list for a random year. ESPN's page is pretty easy to use. Sort by team runs scored. Then sort by Ks. Is there a correlation? I'm betting there isn't.

I'm also betting that there is a strong correlation between runs scored and OBP & SLG.
If you're going to be one of the best hitters in baseball, you need to be a slugger, and to do that, you need to swing hard.  When you swing hard, you're more likely to miss the ball entirely than if you didn't swing as hard and your sole purpose at the plate was to make contact.  If you look at the best hitters in the game in recent memory, you'll see some pretty high strikeout totals.  If you look at the 600 PA and < 75 K guys, you see a lot of slap hitters.  So if you're a high strikeout batter, are you better off making more contact, but risk looking more like one of those slap hitters? Probably not.

That said, it makes sense to change your approach a little but when you're in certain situations, because putting the ball in play is very valuable in some circumstances.
Sure, there are obviously situations where certain types of contact are preferred and, to the extent that they can remain effective offensively, players should adjust their approach accordingly.

And the evidence, at least for 2014, is that players do change their approach in those situations. I linked the chart that shows K rate going from 20% to 15% when there's a runner on third and one out.

Tec's original complaint was that players, in general, strike out too much. Which is dumb. Overall, even considering the slim benefit of some productive outs, how players make outs really doesn't matter.
"Overall, even considering the slim benefit of some productive outs, how players make outs really doesn't matter."

By phrasing this "overall..." you're correct.  If tec argues otherwise, it's kinda dumb.  Look at the teams that score the most runs in history, and you'll probably find teams who were close to leading the league in strikeouts too.
5/27/2014 4:39 PM
Maybe because they lead the league, or are close to it, in homers?

Seriously, Adam Dunn adjusting is kind of dumb regardless of the situation.    But Austin Jackson shouldn't strike out because he's swinging from his heels.   Some players would be better off putting the ball in play more often while others should just try to hit homers.

This argument is akin to power hitters bunting against the shift.   A) They shouldn't even practice bunting so they should suck at it B) you win when you make David Ortiz even try to bunt.

5/27/2014 4:49 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/27/2014 4:49:00 PM (view original):
Maybe because they lead the league, or are close to it, in homers?

Seriously, Adam Dunn adjusting is kind of dumb regardless of the situation.    But Austin Jackson shouldn't strike out because he's swinging from his heels.   Some players would be better off putting the ball in play more often while others should just try to hit homers.

This argument is akin to power hitters bunting against the shift.   A) They shouldn't even practice bunting so they should suck at it B) you win when you make David Ortiz even try to bunt.

Your argument was that hitters may be better if they strike out less, and then you argue that Adam Dunn shouldn't change his approach and strike out less.
5/27/2014 4:51 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/27/2014 4:39:00 PM (view original):
There probably is.  I don't have time or desire to look for it.  I'll just go with logic, common sense, critical thinking skills, conventional baseball wisdom, etc.

Is there any evidence that teams score more runs when they strikeout more?  Is there such a thing as a productive strikeout?

There probably is? I think you have plenty of time to look it up. It's easy. Go to any team stat list for a random year. ESPN's page is pretty easy to use. Sort by team runs scored. Then sort by Ks. Is there a correlation? I'm betting there isn't.

I'm also betting that there is a strong correlation between runs scored and OBP & SLG.
If you're going to be one of the best hitters in baseball, you need to be a slugger, and to do that, you need to swing hard.  When you swing hard, you're more likely to miss the ball entirely than if you didn't swing as hard and your sole purpose at the plate was to make contact.  If you look at the best hitters in the game in recent memory, you'll see some pretty high strikeout totals.  If you look at the 600 PA and < 75 K guys, you see a lot of slap hitters.  So if you're a high strikeout batter, are you better off making more contact, but risk looking more like one of those slap hitters? Probably not.

That said, it makes sense to change your approach a little but when you're in certain situations, because putting the ball in play is very valuable in some circumstances.
Sure, there are obviously situations where certain types of contact are preferred and, to the extent that they can remain effective offensively, players should adjust their approach accordingly.

And the evidence, at least for 2014, is that players do change their approach in those situations. I linked the chart that shows K rate going from 20% to 15% when there's a runner on third and one out.

Tec's original complaint was that players, in general, strike out too much. Which is dumb. Overall, even considering the slim benefit of some productive outs, how players make outs really doesn't matter.
"Overall, even considering the slim benefit of some productive outs, how players make outs really doesn't matter."

By phrasing this "overall..." you're correct.  If tec argues otherwise, it's kinda dumb.  Look at the teams that score the most runs in history, and you'll probably find teams who were close to leading the league in strikeouts too.
I phrased it that way because a) it's correct and b) it lines up with tec's original complaint.

When he says "players strikeout too much," I read that as (all players/in general/overall/etc.) strike out too much. 
5/27/2014 5:01 PM
Guys who strike out a lot are generally the guys who hit homers.  It's because of the way they play.  If you ask them to let up a bit, even Austin Jackson, it's probable their other stats will suffer.
5/27/2014 5:01 PM
As for sluggers bunting against the shift - if you can be 50% successful at it, it's worth doing.  If you can't, A) that's sad and B) it's not worth doing. and C) still very sad.
5/27/2014 5:04 PM

My "argument" was obvioulsy extreme(turn 100 strikeouts into 100 balls in play and get 20 more hits by virtue of BABIP).   I'm sorry if you can't understand the use of extreme arguments to prove a point.

Nonetheless, if you're Austin Jackson, you'd be better off putting 80 more balls in play, even if it means "taking something off" your swing when the count isn't in your favor because you're not a guy who hits for power.  Players have skill sets and they damn sure should cater to them.    Adam Dunn "taking something off" his swing probably does produce that disaster BL thinks happens all the time.   He's slow and his value comes from hitting the ball a long way.  That's not AJackson's game.

As for bunting against the shift, do you want David Ortiz spending time working on his bunting skills?    Or just swinging?  Time is finite. 

5/27/2014 5:10 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/27/2014 5:10:00 PM (view original):

My "argument" was obvioulsy extreme(turn 100 strikeouts into 100 balls in play and get 20 more hits by virtue of BABIP).   I'm sorry if you can't understand the use of extreme arguments to prove a point.

Nonetheless, if you're Austin Jackson, you'd be better off putting 80 more balls in play, even if it means "taking something off" your swing when the count isn't in your favor because you're not a guy who hits for power.  Players have skill sets and they damn sure should cater to them.    Adam Dunn "taking something off" his swing probably does produce that disaster BL thinks happens all the time.   He's slow and his value comes from hitting the ball a long way.  That's not AJackson's game.

As for bunting against the shift, do you want David Ortiz spending time working on his bunting skills?    Or just swinging?  Time is finite. 

I do understand your argument.  I'm arguing your other stats would obviously suffer by doing that.

Austin Jackson is one of the few guys who strikeout a shitton and don't hit 20 homers a year.  He might be better off working a little harder to make contact, but again, he may not be driving the ball as far by doing that.  Guy hits a lot of triples, etc.  He may slug the ball less.

If David Ortiz needs a lot of practice to bunt effectively, then he shouldn't do it.  But bunting shouldn't be hard.  And how much time are we talking?  If it's 20 extra minutes a day bunting, it's not much, and he isn't exactly exerting himself physically to do it.
5/27/2014 5:14 PM
2010-2013:

2010-2013:

5/27/2014 5:23 PM
Those are team seasons for all MLB for the last 4 years.
5/27/2014 5:25 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 5/27/2014 5:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/27/2014 4:39:00 PM (view original):

I phrased it that way because a) it's correct and b) it lines up with tec's original complaint.

When he says "players strikeout too much," I read that as (all players/in general/overall/etc.) strike out too much. 
My original "complaint" was more an observation: strikeouts are at an all-time high because players today, in general, have the poorest plate discipline than they've ever had.

Swinging from the heels for XBH's, with the additional consequence of increased K's, might be OK with you.  As somebody who enjoys the subtleties of the game, I'd say it's dumbed down and less enjoyable to appreciate.
5/27/2014 7:40 PM
Are K's the best measure of plate discipline? A lot of guys with great plate discipline strike out a lot. It's a function of seeing a lot of pitches.

Obviously you are free to dislike the increase in strikeouts.

I disagree. As someone who enjoys the subtleties of great pitching, I like seeing pitchers who are able to overpower hitters.
5/27/2014 7:49 PM
I'd appreciate great pitching if it is outmatching great hitting.  Whiffing guys with an undisciplined approach to hitting is less about the nuances of pitching and more about throwing hard.
5/27/2014 8:01 PM
Again, are they necessarily undisciplined? Plenty of guys with great plate discipline strike out a lot. It's part if the deal when you see a lot of pitches.
5/27/2014 8:36 PM (edited)
Are you asserting that plate discipline is unchanged today as compared to any point in the past?

The top 15 season strikeout totals for hitters have come over the past 10 full MLB seasons.  Are you saying that's entirely due to great pitching?
5/27/2014 8:36 PM
◂ Prev 1...24|25|26|27|28...49 Next ▸
MLB: a bag of a**holes. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.