Changes within the last 3112 days...
- We have turned off the ability for players to declare early for the NFL draft. There are far too many players leaving that should not be leaving under realistic circumstances, so until we can review this feature and implement it better, we are not going to allow anyone to leave early.
- Gridiron Dynasty has been updated:
- Rescind unprocessed recruiting actions on recruit's profile History tab
- Split offensive and defensive playbook selection
- Display fatigue percentages for Rest Levels on depth chart page
- Display rush distribution percentages on depth chart page
- Reduction in pick 6 chances
- Minimum reward points for DIA National Champion
Check the forums for more details.
- Gridiron Dynasty has been updated:
- Formation IQs for players are now displayed on the Formations tab of the Team Profile.
- Fixed a bug where Special Teams Rating was not being calculated correctly.
- Fixed a bug where the engine was not using the Active Playbook's Basic Play Style for 4th Down calls.
- Improved logic to decline penalties on 3rd down.
- Fixed a bug that would not allow you to set special positions (e.g. Third Down Back) to None.
- Improved 4th down logic to call more FGAs when in close range (FAQ update to follow).
- Increased default Max FG setting from 45 to 54. Mostly affects Sim AI and new coaches.
- Updated Player's Guide.
- A new release has been pushed out with many changes, including Formation IQ, updates to the engine, updates to the Job Processing, and more. Please check the forum thread HERE for the details.
- The Pre-season All-American Report has been updated to correctly show player images and to fix a few other display issues.
- The recruit tab of the recruit profile has been updated to have a drop down list for campus visits instead of a checkbox. In various places throughout the game where teams and/or players are listed, your team and players on your team are now highlighted. The following new pages have been added: game log on the team profile, national champions (stats menu), player ratings (rankings menu), and team ratings (rankings menu).
- The game engine will be updated following the conclusion of games today and the changes will take effect beginning with the games tomorrow, 2/18. This update includes the following: modification to the performance of players within the various formations to better represent formation advantages/disadvantages, corrects a bug with attributing starts to kickers and punters who do not play in the first half of the game, modifications to end game clock management, and modifications to turnover (fumbles and interceptions) frequency and determination. In addition to the game engine update, a change has been made to the recruiting framework. Now recruits will wait 72 hours (3 days) before they begin accepting/rejecting scholarship offers instead of 48 hours (2 days). The first cycle remains 24 hours (1 day) long with all subsequent recruiting cycles approximately 3 hours in duration. No change has been made to the overall length of the recruiting period. This change takes effect immediately.
- The game engine will be updated following the conclusion of games today and the changes will take effect beginning with the games tomorrow, 1/14. This update modifies play duration/timing slightly, takes timeouts remaining more into account when making fourth down decisions to close out a game,
updates some penalty accept/decline/enforcement situations,
makes defenders more likely to take a touchback when forcing a turnover in their own endzone rather than running the ball out,
modifies defensive coverages to get linebackers and safeties involved more frequently for TEs and RBs,
and modifies how players are called for penalties to increase the impact of game instinct and technique ratings on these calls.
- The beginning of the recruiting period has been updated to allow more coaches to make contact with recruits prior to the first round of responses from them. The recruiting period begins at 12:01 PM EST and in the past responses would be received for the first time about 3 hours later. After the update on 11/17, there was a short window that allowed for responses even sooner. This has now been changed. The first responses from recruits will not be received for 24 hours. This gives all coaches 24 hours to get their recruiting actions in prior to the first responses from recruits. No other aspects of recruiting have been changed and everything else will work exactly the same.
- An update to the game engine is going out today following the completion of the games. It will be in effect for the games starting tomorrow. The update makes some changes in order to even out player performance and therefore reduce the number of major upsets. The changes will slightly increase completion percentage, reduce the number of sacks, reduce the number of QB scrambles, and reduce the number of interceptions in the passing game. These things will combine with a slight modification to receiver run after the catch ability to increase the yards per pass attempt. In the running game, we've made a modification to the distribution of runs based upon player ratings and matchups to better align with real rush numbers. This also serves to increase yards per carry for RBs. To further slow the rate of turnovers, we have also reduced the number of fumbles slightly.
- The timing for certain game actions has changed due to the update yesterday. Games will still play at 2:30 AM (first half and exhibition games) and 2:30 PM (second half).
The time for post game actions (scheduling post-season, practice, etc.) and recruiting actions has been changed. The post game actions will be performed around 3:00 AM and 3:00 PM. When you are recruiting, you will receive responses approximately every 3 hours at 3:00 AM, 6:00 AM, 9:00 AM, 12:00 PM, 3:00 PM, 6:00 PM, 9:00 PM, 12:00 AM. (All times Eastern.)
- An update to the player position change feature has been made for players who have had their positions changed in previous seasons. These players will suffer further ratings decreases in some areas, especially work ethic, due to the multiple changes.
- Player position changes have been updated to only allow those changes that make the most "football sense" and preserve the usefullness of the available switches.
- The following updates and changes have been released for Gridiron Dynasty today:
A copy practice plan feature to allow coaches to copy practice plans between their teams in different worlds.
The NFL draft has been updated to include notes on players selected in the first two rounds of the draft.
Team profiles have been updated to include detailed lists of players selected in the draft round by round in the Draft section of the History tab.
Effects to team prestige have been incorporated into the draft process so that teams who have players drafted get some benefit during recruiting.
The Draft page under the Stats menu has been updated to include the top 25 schools with the most selections in each round.
Promise information (playing time and starts), redshirts, and injury information has been added to the depth chart page for easy reference.
"Multi-remove" functionality has been added to the recruiting center to facilitate the easy removal of large numbers of recruits.
Player position changes have been modified to keep players at a more equivalent level when being moved between positions. This means that, in general terms, a good player will remain good and a below average player will remain below average. The effects of the switch are governed by the player's willingness to make the move (personality/character) and his desire to work hard to understand the new position (work ethic). Additional factors include the number of players at each position, old and new, and the player's year in school (freshmen switch easier than seniors).
A new notes tab has been added to player profiles to allow coaches to enter notes about their players. This section also lists any awards, conference and national, that the player has won during his career.
World waiting list memberships are now listed on the world selection page and the ability to remove yourself from each waiting list has been added.
- Booster gifts are no longer available at the D-III level and only available at the upper divisions if you have seasons remaining with your team.
- An Overtime game plan setting has been added to the active settings section of the main game plan page. This setting allows a coach to specify a game plan that will be used during overtime instead of using the main game plan setting. All teams have had their overtime game plan set to the currently listed main game plan by default since this is the game plan that has been used up until this point.
- When coaching jobs open up in each world, those schools will wait at least 9 - 12 hours before making a hiring decision. If it is close to the end of the job change period (within 6 - 9 hours), then schools will not wait to make a hiring decision. This change should give more coaches the opportunity to apply for open jobs prior to them being filled.
- Each player's year-to-date percent play participation has been added to the game log tab of his player profile in the totals row.
The recruiting options will now stay in constant locations on the recruit profiles. If a recruit accepts a promise, that option will no longer be removed but will remain visible with the appropriate message.
- You can now see who the coach of a team is on the World Overview page within the tool tip when you place your mouse over the school names in the standings listings.
The option for a randomly chosen location, home or away, has been added to non-conference scheduling. Under the Request column this option appears as a '?' next to the Home and Away options. When you use this option, the invitation will display as 'Random' for the location instead of the current Home or Away. Once the coach accepts the invitation, the location will be randomly selected with a 50% chance for both home and away locations and displayed as such in the next season's schedule listing.
- A top 10 schools list by post-season winning percentage -- W/L record is displayed -- has been added to the post-season schedule pages for all levels (bowl listing and playoff brackets).
- Strength of schedule (SOS) has been added to the team schedule page next to WIS rank. Note that at the beginning of the season all teams are equal and this ranking can and likely will fluctuate a great deal during the first several weeks of the season.
A top 10 schools list by national championships has been added to the post-season schedule pages for all levels (bowl listing and playoff brackets).
Bug Fix: With the recent change to allow fired coaches to remain at the same divisional level, a bug was introduced that allowed these coaches to potentially get hired back on at the school that just fired them. This has been addressed and will not be an issue moving forward.
Bug Fix: Under certain circumstances, recruits were getting added to team rosters multiple times at the end of the recruiting period creating "twins" on some team rosters. All "twins" were removed from team rosters and the underlying issue has been resolved.
- Bug Fix: The notes section on the Jobs page is now functioning correctly. Once your world enters the job period (following the renewal deadline), the notes will reflect whether or not you are qualified for any given open position. Prior to the job period, the notes will remain generalized.
- An item has been added to the Office menu called Manage Seasons. This page allows you to move seasons from one team to another in the different worlds. There are guidelines listed for when seasons can be moved and which seasons are allowed to be moved.
- With college football reaching its climax this season, we've released a significant update to Gridiron Dynasty. This update includes the following:
1. Preferences for distance and favorite schools for recruits have been added. Some recruits will want to stay close to home, some go further away, and others will not care. Each recruit will have a favorite school chosen at random based upon his location, distance preference, and school prestige. This information will be included in responses to phone calls made during recruiting.
2. An additional recruiting option has been added to promise playing time in terms of percent of plays in the game (offense/defense). This will operate much like the promised starting spots.
3. Modifications to the recruiting pool were made to better conform to roster trends and have adequate talent available at all levels.
4. Once the season ends (after NC games), the jobs page will show which jobs you are qualified for and which ones you are not rather than the generic success and experience requirements that are shown now. This should alleviate some confusion about qualifications. In addition, requirements to move up to D-II will be eased some to facilitate filling the worlds up more and coaches who are fired will be able to stay at the same division.
5. Recommendations will be available for filling out the depth chart and practice plan to help less experienced coaches setup their teams.
6. The addition of a FAQ page in the Help menu.
7. The addition of a Player's Guide in the Help menu. This provides new coaches with a basic how-to guide for playing the game.
8. Player ratings improvements will be tracked for the season on the team profile so that you don't need to track it externally if you want this information.
9. Some minor adjustments to the default game plans have been made to make them more effective.
10. Limitations have been placed on the amount of recruiting money that can be carried over from season to season. If a team fills all of their scholarships, they'll be able to retain 25% of their remaining budget. If they do not, they will retain much less and it will decrease with the number of remaining scholarships.
11. The recruiting search will now default to the team's division.
12. The caculation of a recruit's value has been modified to more accurately reflect his value in the game at his position. This will effect players returned in recruiting searches as well as recruit rankings. Additionally, potential has been removed from this calculation so that players with high potential can get signed by some of the lower schools and develop them into great players.
13. Bug Fix: Players scouted during the previous season should now always be "signable" by the team the following season.
14. Improved defensive performance within the engine to better balance game play.
15. A world overview page that can be seen by users who are not in the world as means to keep tabs on what is happening in each world without being in it has been added. This page will provide standings, rankings, stats, etc. and can be accessed from the landing page, signup page, or the Office menu.
16. A blogs tab has been added to profiles to facilitate posting information to external sites.
17. A new copy link has been added to profiles to facilitate the copy/paste of player/team profiles and information into the coaches corners.
18. A complete NFL draft has been implemented. The draft will happen following the NC games and the results can be seen under the Stats menu. Specific team tracking of drafted players can be seen on the History tab of the team profile.
19. Some cosmetic changes to the history tab on the team profiles to incorporate playoff/bowl icons have been done.
20. Historical team stats, bot for and against, have been added to the team profiles.
21. Addition of depth chart information (starters) on the team profiles so that other teams can see who a team lists as its starters.
22. Elite level jobs are now a little more difficult to retain with coaches who are 'In Jeopardy' having to at least make a BCS level bowl or win a bowl in the tier below to save their jobs.
23. Strength of schedule rankings have been added as a column to the WIS rankings.
24. The most recent coaches corner posts can now be seen in the office to make tracking conversations a little easier.
25. Underclassmen who are eligible to declare early for the NFL draft will now do so if they perform well enough regardless of how many games they have started.
26. A summary of the various sets used in custom game plans has been added to the practice plan page to help in setting up the team practice plan.
- The Sportsbook (whatifsportsbook.com) reward point prizes have been reduced to 1,000 for 1st place and 500 for 2nd place effective March 1st, 2008.
- With the college football season about to get underway, WhatIfSports is happy to announce the arrival of the Gridiron Dynasty update! Here’s a quick snapshot of what the new version includes:
A totally revamped user interface incorporating college-specific colors.
A new game plan system in which you can create and assign multiple game plans to be used and shared across all your teams across all worlds. Plus, you can now assign up to 5 game plans for any individual game.
An expanded depth chart that now allows 10 players per position.
An improved schedule that now includes 5 non-conference games, 1 game against each division opponent, and 1 game against 3 of the teams from the other division in your conference.
Coaches can now schedule their own non-conference games for the upcoming season
A 5th “BCS” bowl has been added to match the #1 and #2 ranked teams in a WIS Championship Game.
Playoff seedings have been adjusted so that the #1 and #2 ranked teams can’t meet until the playoff finals.
Player fatigue/substitutions have been completely redesigned and calibrated for more realistic results.
DIA schools that have been coached by the AI will now lower their expectations for new coaches, making it easier to move up. Going along with this, the success rating of coaches has been tweaked slightly.
We’ve greatly expanded the number of stats tracked and displayed throughout the game. Remember, though, these are stats that can only be tracked going forward so they won’t include any previously played games.
The play-by-play has been expanded so that you can now view who’s on the field – including their fatigue -- for every play of the game. NOTE: Games played prior to this update will not look pretty nor contain these changes.
- The job status adjustments for coaches at the DIA and DIAA levels now take into account the expectations of the school. If the school is coming off of a poor season(s), then the exectations of success are depressed. Likewise, if the school is coming off of a good season(s), then the expectations of success are elevated. Going along with this change, coaches in their first season with a school will remain at "very secure" following the season as long as they meet or beat the previous season's win total (meet expectations).
- Additional searching options have been added to the Recruiting Center along with more distance breakdowns.
- Individual player records for each world are now available under the News/Stats section. To view the records go to the News/Stats section and click on Records followed by any of the Players (DIA, DIAA, DII, DIII) links.
- The distribution of recruits has been updated to better reflect the numbers of recruits available locally to lower division schools. The recruiting pool for Rockne (world 1) was generated with these updates in place. The recruiting pools in Bryant (3), Wilkinson (4), Leahy (5), Stagg (6), Warner (7), and Heisman (8) have had some lower level players added to reflect this change. All future recruiting pools will be generated with these updates.
Please note that distribution effects the number of recruits available within each state only. The talent level of each recruit is randomly assigned and therefore the talent found within each state will vary from season to season, potentially significantly.
- The distribution of recruits has been changed to more closely mirror real life.
- The way in which a coach's job status is evaluated at the DIA level within a BCS conference has been modified to lower the standards slightly of the non-elite level schools.
- The defensive game plan has been broken into downs like the offensive game plan. Additionally, coaches can now set distances for long and medium (short is 1 yard to the medium setting by default) within the defensive game plan (all four downs). Existing settings have been copied into each of the four downs and the distances set to 8 yards for long and 5 yards for medium.
- Teams that are stuggling to win at the D-II level (below .500) will now be more lenient in terms of required success when making their hiring decisions for new coaches.
- The number of players whose position can be changed each season is now limited to 5.
- The recruiting center has been updated to include an alternate ratings view, distance to the recruit in the main view, and an icon to denote players with pending scholarship offers.
- Coach profiles have been updated to include loyalty rating and job status.
- Coaches who do not renew their teams will now be listed as "Unemployed" within that world. They will be able to re-enter that world at any time to apply for available coaching positions for which they qualify. Schools will still make their hiring decisions during the job change period at the end of the season only.
- Coaches at the DIAA and DIA levels can now be fired from their coaching positions. There will be a developer chat later today to explain the details and answer questions.
- Injury limitations have been put in place to prevent teams from losing too many players at any given time to injury.
- Players will get a little more rest during timeouts to aid in their fatigue recovery.
- Success qualifications for some DIA schools have been lowered slightly. Additionally, the way in which schools evaluate coach applications has been modified to increase the significance of success.
- Players who are playing out of position will not perform as well as they have in the past (their ratings will be degraded based upon the positions involved).
- The polls have been modified to decrease the cap on the strength of schedule benefit as well as increase the benefit of making the conference championship game. The negative impact of losses has also been increased. All changes will take affect following the games today in all worlds.
- The polls have been modified slightly to adjust the integration of the strength of schedule aspect in order to more accurately account for opponent quality.
- Coaches who leave their teams and then re-enter the same world during the general signup period will no longer be able to skip over divisions. They can return to a team within the same division or 1 division above if they qualify.
- The way in which coach success is measured has changed to put more emphasis on true success (especially recent) rather than career accumulations.
- Teams must have a minimum of 25 players on their roster in order to schedule an exhibition game.
- The overall quality of assistant coach signed players has been increased, especially at the upper divisions.
- The conference schedule has been modified to run on a 2 year cycle beginning with the next season in each world.
- The clock management aspect of the sim has been enhanced and updated to make better use of timeouts.
- The decision making process for accepting/declining penalties has been enhanced.
- The sim engine has been modified to reduce the chances of a fumble during game play.
- The sim engine has been modified to allow offenses to score from the 1 yard line much more easily than in the past.
- The recruiting period has been shortened by 1 day for the upcoming recruiting period in all worlds.
- An additional day has been added between the end of the recruiting period and the first game of the season.
- Several engine changes have been introduced to make defenses more effective and close the gap with the offenses.
- Sim teams will now be slightly more competitive during recruiting and recruit signings should be more spread out.
- We have made two changes to the WhatIfSportsBook - you will now be limited to a maximum of 10 bets per calendar day but you will now be able to bet up to 10% of your total cash per wager.
- Announcing the grand opening of the WhatIfSportsBook! If you are an active coach in HD or GD, you can sign in at www.whatifsportsbook.com with your existing username/password. You'll receive $2000 WISBucks to gamble with. You can place wagers on spreads and over/unders for all games (except your own). The top 3 finishers at the end of the season will receive a small reward point prize. See the sportsbook FAQ for more information.
- The coaching records can now be viewed both by world and overall across all the worlds.
- The press, coaches, and WIS polls have been updated to more accurately rank teams. The current rankings will be updated shortly.
- Bowl scheduling at the DIA level has been modified to no longer be tied to conference standing (except for the 6 automatic BCS bowl slots). The bowls will select their teams from all bowl eligible teams, choosing the best ones available.
- The tier groupings of the DIA bowls have been modified slightly -- refer to the FAQ for more information.
- Playoff seeding at the lower divisions has been changed to better reflect the WIS rankings and avoid, if possible, first round matchups between teams in the same conference.
- Point spreads are now generated for the next day`s games following the completion of the current day`s games. The spreads can be seen by viewing the conference scoreboard by clicking on the game date on the schedule page.
- The ACC has been aligned within Gridiron Dynasty to match the real world alignment of the Atlantic and Coastal divisions.
- How a coach`s reputation is effected by rescinding a scholarship is now based upon whether or not he recruited the player in question.
- A way to reset advanced depth charts (go back to the basic) has been added as well as additional navigation between the charts.
- All game plan, practice plan, and depth chart settings will now be completely reset when a coach leaves a school.
- New advanced depth chart settings are now available. These allow for an individual depth chart for each offensive and defensive formation. Please refer to the FAQ for more detailed information.
- A new decisions section has been added to the office for coaches to make decisions about off the field issues concerning their players. Refer to the FAQ for more information.
- Top players in DIA may declare for the NFL draft once they have been out of high school for 3 years.
- Various performance enhancements have been made to allow all game results to be posted in a more timely manner, typically by 3:00 PM EST.
- Medical hardship waivers will be given to eligible players at the end of the season. Refer to the FAQ for more information.
- The offensive and defensive formations have been added to the play-by-play.
- Pending job applications can now be withdrawn and not considered by the hiring school. Any loyalty points lost with the application are NOT restored.
- Players can now play in games while injured and above 50% healthy. Every player`s health level is displayed in the office roster listing.
- The wording on the offensive game plan pages has been modified to better reflect how the distances are used in the sim.
- Every coach`s reputation is now displayed in his profile.
- Scholarship offers now stay pending during recruiting but can be withdrawn at any time. Recruits will not necessarily accept/decline the offers every cycle. The cost of a scholarship offer is never returned to the recruiting budget under any circumstances.
- The coaching records for the top coaches in the world can now be viewed in the News/Stats section
- Practice plans now contain both team practice settings and position specific practice settings. Refer to the FAQ for more information.
- Defenses will now adjust more against unbalanced offenses to better defend the passing game.
- Position change limits have been put in place to help avoid completely uncompetitive teams.
Please note: Release notes can become stale. Please rely on the product's Rules, FAQ and Player Guide for official details and information.