Hiring Algorithm Messed Up? Topic

Howdy everybody. In the last 24 hours I've applied for a few P5 Jobs and have lost out on them to significantly less (on paper) qualified coaches (see below). Is there something happening with the algorithm?

My Record:
Overall: 1718-944 (.645)
Home: 824-381 (.684)
Away: 747-442 (.628)
Players Drafted: 17 (details)

Coaches I've been looked over for:
Overall: 250-156 (.616)
Home: 122-67 (.646)
Away: 105-74 (.587)
Players Drafted: 0

Overall: 225-209 (.518)
Home: 119-82 (.592)
Away: 89-110 (.447)
Players Drafted: 1 (details)

Overall: 408-183 (.690)
Home: 169-54 (.758)
Away: 209-105 (.666)
Players Drafted: 0
4/2/2024 8:59 AM (edited)
Record does not matter, or matters minimally if it does, with hiring process. Consider - I could get 30 wins minimum every season if I just scheduled the most dog **** sims every season.

Player drafted does not matter. I could get a draftable player every season, even at a lower prestige, but how does the rest of my class look? If the classes are good, it'll eventually start resulting in NT runs. If the rest of the class is bad, does it matter if I have a player drafted? Based on how the game actually functions, I largely will limit my players to varying extents from being drafted to try to keep them all 4 years.

Additionally, only the last 10 seasons are taken into consideration. Most recent seasons are more heavily weighted.

Make NT. Make NT run. Get better jobs.
4/2/2024 9:04 AM
Posted by upsetcity on 4/2/2024 9:04:00 AM (view original):
Record does not matter, or matters minimally if it does, with hiring process. Consider - I could get 30 wins minimum every season if I just scheduled the most dog **** sims every season.

Player drafted does not matter. I could get a draftable player every season, even at a lower prestige, but how does the rest of my class look? If the classes are good, it'll eventually start resulting in NT runs. If the rest of the class is bad, does it matter if I have a player drafted? Based on how the game actually functions, I largely will limit my players to varying extents from being drafted to try to keep them all 4 years.

Additionally, only the last 10 seasons are taken into consideration. Most recent seasons are more heavily weighted.

Make NT. Make NT run. Get better jobs.
I appreciate the input. My NT record is reasonable (several D1 Sweet 16's, Elite 8's and a Final Four) and I have been at several P5 programs (Indiana, Rutgers, Mississippi State, Etc.)

Bids: 43
Record: 31-43 (.419)

I took some time off so perhaps that's where things are happening. I just came back three seasons ago so that's probably it.
4/2/2024 9:20 AM
your resume is weighted to most recent jobs which include missing the tournament twice in d3, murray state, and idaho.

your elite 8s at rutgers are pretty much irrelevant if not even included at all. overall wins/loss dont matter.

i believe its either last 20 or 10 cant remember been awhile so actually starting from season 108 indiana

you have 1 S16 2 2nd rounds, 4 1st rounds 3 PI 9 times missing the tournament 2 of which at d3.

its a poor resume due to that and not surprising without even looking at the other applicants you were passed over.
4/2/2024 3:43 PM
From the FAQ:

Each school requires a minimum level of recent success from a potential coach, which differs depending on the level of the school. The better the school, the more success required.

A coach's success is measured by looking at his team's results over the past 10 seasons. If a coach hasn't coached a full 10 seasons, then it looks at all seasons coached. The more recent the season, the more weight it's given - so the most recent season carries the most weight in the overall success of a coach.

The success of a individual season is based on the following items:

• RPI rank
  • Top 25 rank
  • Whether you won the conference title
  • Whether you won conference coach of the year
  • Whether you made the National Tournament
  • How far you advanced in the National Tournament
  • Whether you made the Postseason Invitational Tournament
  • How far you advanced in the Postseason Invitational Tournament

There are multiple factors that a school uses to decide whether to accept your application, including but not limited to (and not necessarily in this order):

• Overall Experience
  • Recent Success (going back at most 10 seasons) (see above)
Additional info: Loyalty and reputation take hit when you change jobs or don't fulfill promised minutes to recruits during that 10 season timeframe.

Also division levels are weighted. Something like a 1 or 2 round difference. Some debate where that falls. Oversimplified it may look like this: D3 Final Four = a D2 Sweet 16= D1 NT 1st round
4/6/2024 4:58 PM
Hiring Algorithm Messed Up? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.