Site Update HD Poll Topic

the best I could see is a custom player being styled as a "coach's son" walk on or something but that wouldn't be very exciting
3/27/2024 11:43 AM
Posted by Abulia on 3/27/2024 11:05:00 AM (view original):
This is a terrible, terrible poll. Since I couldn't use the text field to share my opinions ("value greater than 1") I simply abandoned the poll.

1. New "injection of talents/recruits" during RS2... I do not see the point. That's not the issue with recruiting. The issue is the quality and disbursement of recruits across the 3 divisions and the sniping from D2/3 upwards. There's no point to a D3 pool when the a) talent sucks and b) sniping upwards is so incredibly easy. That puts (more) pressure on the D2/D1 recruits to be good...and they're not. The sniping also causes issues at D2/3 where the same teams fielding D1 talent every year just steamroll everything. It's incredibly boring. Strive for better parity within the divisions, make sniping up a high-risk, high-reward proposition. Lower the recruit quality gap so that coaching matters.

2. Add a "create/edit your own player" feature? Absolutely not. Then you'll have to police names, etc. And once I start seeing "Joe Lickmynuts" on someone's team I'm ******* out of here. This is a TERRIBLE idea.

3. Add a new world. Are you high right now? That's ABSOLUTELY INSANE. You should be looking at 2 worlds, RIGHT NOW, to sunset. Give the coaches on those worlds 4 free seasons on their account and state that in 4 seasons, those worlds will close. Make the rest of those seasons on that world free (so coaches can play out). Those coaches can take their 4 free seasons to a new world and essentially start a rebuild for free. You need to be populating worlds, not thinning them out even further.

4. Create a temporary world to "Race to D1 title"...again, no. Why? What's the point? Why spend money on a team you can't keep? This makes no idea. In fact, this question (and poll) really shakes my faith that the WIS staff understands why people play this game.

5. Create a "Champions League" w/ better rewards. Also a terrible idea. So let the elite coaches play on their own elite server with their own elite rewards. No. Just, no.

I can't believe this is the best that WIS could come up with. First, sunset worlds and consolidate the playerbase. Fix a few bugs. Add some QoL items we've been asking forever. Iterate and make better, that's ALL you need to do. The stuff on this poll doesn't make the game better at all.
While I understand the idea of sunsetting worlds to help populations in the remaining worlds, there's just no way you could feasible accomplish this without upsetting a lot of people. I spent 6 real world years to finally get to my alma mater. You think any amount of free seasons would make it right for that world to just be gone? I'd leave in a heartbeat, and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.
3/27/2024 2:13 PM
I think they need to add more 3, 4 and 5 star recruits, at least 4 stars. Irl there’s plenty of 4 stars but in HD everyone fights over the 5 that are available
3/27/2024 9:17 PM
Creating our own players is a bizarre idea. This is a recruiting game. And yes, every team would have a Seymour Butts.

I feel like this poll was intentionally written as badly as possible so it would spark conversation about what people actually want.
3/28/2024 12:08 PM
Posted by texashick on 3/27/2024 9:53:00 AM (view original):
I give CS credit for trying but none of these options excite me. It seems like any hope of serious updates to the code are dead. The two around the edges updates Ive always pushed for to help D1 are:

1. Introduce the firing plan at D1
?2. Make promises be honored after the first season

The first one is needed to get more churn at the top schools. We hashed out a plan that really made sense and then it was scraped. I know that was a revenue protection thought, but I think if more people had access to high prestige teams, it would actually help world populations.

The second is necessary because all of the A+ teams offer minutes and starts to every player and then bench them in the tournament and then in future seasons. Its a talent hording strategy that could be easily negated.
I did select inject more RS2 talent because swapping jobs or picking up is a complete chore at the moment.

However, the actual top 3 for me.

1. Implement firing as previously discussed. Get bad coaches out of good jobs. It was already promised and details ironed out WITH the community.

2. Remove injuries. They can affect promises and. affect postseason important games. And there’s a less than like 1-2% chance they happen so it’s 1. Not worth planning for (and depth/stamina is such an important aspect of the game/for each set) 2. it’s not like I have an injury but they have an injury too, it’s almost always just the coach with the injured player is handicapped. Durability also isn’t worth recruiting for.. 3. Current recruiting pool isn’t built to deal with injuries EVEN if the coach tried to do so.

3. Like texashick said, promises are silly and new coaches don’t realize how abused they are. If injuries are in the game to keep it realistic, make promises the same. I don’t know about 2-4 year promises (this was a commonly brought up suggestion years ago) but being a 1 seed and facing an 8 seeded UNC who is now starting their REAL lineup is completely defeating.

The community, at large, is playing this game with the understanding it’ll be difficult to get updates. They’re mostly okay with updates taking time. Let’s get 1 good update down the road instead of a forced update just for the sake of updating.
3/28/2024 3:51 PM
Chalk up another vote for none of these. I've said before and say again, one change I'd like is a 30-50 player transfer list at d2/d3. It would work similar to ees at d1. Now, I know we all hate d1 ees (I don't but I leave that for now). Here's what this would accomplish:

1. Infusion of talent into d1 rs2 in a more real life way. The talent wouldn't be spectacular but certainly usable.

2. Evening out of d2 and d3 talent, where experienced coaches who hang in those divisions can have a lot of success vs. less experienced or more laid back players. I am one of those coaches in 2 worlds, for the record.

3. It is much is easier to find usable talent late in recruiting at d2 and d3 to replace the players lost than it is d1, so the effect of losing a high level player to the transfer portal is less damaging. And teams would get extra resources, just like d1.

Another thought is to make players wait 3 - 4 cycles to sign in rs2, much like we do in rs1. That way coaches who need to replace players at least have a chance to open scholarships, starts, minutes, and visits, before the player is signed.
3/29/2024 8:50 PM
I wouldn't vote for any of those poll options.

This is a coaching and recruiting game.

Why not start with having a Coaches Records tab for each individual school next to the records tab on team page? It would list the top coaches at that school in each category similar to the coaching records does for the world. That way people can see how they stack up against former coaches at the school.

Maybe it even spurs a user to hang around to become the all time winner at their school of choice.
3/29/2024 11:59 PM
Posted by piman314 on 3/29/2024 8:50:00 PM (view original):
Chalk up another vote for none of these. I've said before and say again, one change I'd like is a 30-50 player transfer list at d2/d3. It would work similar to ees at d1. Now, I know we all hate d1 ees (I don't but I leave that for now). Here's what this would accomplish:

1. Infusion of talent into d1 rs2 in a more real life way. The talent wouldn't be spectacular but certainly usable.

2. Evening out of d2 and d3 talent, where experienced coaches who hang in those divisions can have a lot of success vs. less experienced or more laid back players. I am one of those coaches in 2 worlds, for the record.

3. It is much is easier to find usable talent late in recruiting at d2 and d3 to replace the players lost than it is d1, so the effect of losing a high level player to the transfer portal is less damaging. And teams would get extra resources, just like d1.

Another thought is to make players wait 3 - 4 cycles to sign in rs2, much like we do in rs1. That way coaches who need to replace players at least have a chance to open scholarships, starts, minutes, and visits, before the player is signed.
First off I feel very awkward commenting on something from a coach who has played the game a long time and has won about 200 NC's and disagreeing with a legendary coach. While I agree that would you suggest would help D1, but it would hurt D2 and D3 coaches and make them less inclined to stay in the game. I think adding players to the D1 recruiting pool would accomplish the same thing you are trying to do without punishing D2 and D3 coaches. It might not be as realistic as your plan but this game is not real life and if it improves the game and helps retain coaches then it should be done.

As an example I would like to see in each world added to each recruiting pool after the Conference Tournament ends the following:
:
2 five star recruits, 4 four star recruits, 6 three star recruits, 8 two star recruits, 15 one star recruits. and 65 miscellaneous other non-rated recruits. That is 100 nee recruits added for the 2nd session which scattered across the country is not really that many and would be very helpful.

This would help out all coaches that have switched teams or moved up into D1. It is very hard on a coach to switch teams or move up a level as the first season can be frustrating. The extra recruits would help coaches at the D1 level who were ravaged by EES. It would help all coaches who had bad luck with the dice rolls in recruiting. This would also put a new strategy into the recruiting game as players would have to save some scouting and recruiting money if they wanted to participate in the second round of acquiring talent. I just don't see a downside to doing this.(though I'm sure some long time coaches will think of something I am not seeing)
3/30/2024 7:34 AM
So we're having a poll to introduce potential changes when the last set of potential changes was scrapped and really nothing significant in eons? Whats the definition of insanity again? Expecting different results from the same situation?
4/1/2024 8:42 AM
i like the idea of an injection of JUCOs for session 2. Accomplishing this with a transfer portal for D2 is a cool idea. It need not be a ton of players but any D2 player good enough to scrape the big board should prob be fair game for a RNG roll on something like that. Even ~10 would make a difference, maybe throw in another ~10 random newly generated JUCOs. With the improved walk ons though I will say this is less critical than it used to be. I find myself looking at attainable recruits in the second session and thinking, 50/50 a walk on is better.

Other thoughts I’ve stated on the forums in solicitations past:

- Already noted above but no signings for at least the first cycle in session 2 would make that more competitive and less random luck.

- Cut a day from the job change period, maybe even a day from the second recruiting session, too. The time between seasons is so, so long, especially if you have a team that misses the tourneys or goes out early. I have to imagine this is discouraging to new user retention.

- D3 should be a sandbox without rewards imo. Many of the people who hate that idea are basically squatters who rack up titles and credits at the expense of new people. For what reason this benefits WIS + getting new users to want to stay, I cannot fathom.
4/1/2024 9:36 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
◂ Prev 12
Site Update HD Poll Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.