Site Update HBD Poll Topic

tlowster is correct. Many of us have backed him up in the other threads on the topic of injury recovery.

IIRC there's a question on that poll something like "do we want our medical budget to have more impact on recovery" which, IMO, runs the risk of having missed the point.

While I understand that it may be difficult if not impossible to modify that game without a significant rewrite of code...
The point is, if I squint my eyes sideways I can allllmost see how the original thing was written to introduce some sort of random factor into injuries based on when they happen. Which of course is counter intuitive to real life, it's more like a necessary jury rig to the system.

Fact is, those of us who play this game pretty much just hold our noses and deal with the injury system... until we can't hold our noses any longer.

What this is, our complaint about the injury system, is just: Make It Make Sense.

4/2/2024 2:25 PM
I will let the OG HBD folks chime in, but based on what I've read, they used to have this thing that they called the "medical bug". Again, this is all from what I've read, but the way the story goes is that, some time back before I started playing (late 2017), if you ran a $20 medical budget, every injured player could be placed on the DL for 60 days and some of them would come back even stronger than they did pre-injury.

People didn't seem to mind so much on the 20 day injuries. My guess is that is because those have less impact.

After a while, some people complained to Admin about this because, in some cases, a player getting a major injury (180+ day Injury like shoulder surgery or herniated disk), you would place the player on the 60 day DL and if the injury was early enough in the season, the player had a decent makeup rating and the team had a high medical budget, the player might come back stronger than he was pre-injury.

Where the cake really got taken, though, was when you had one of those catastrophic injuries (shoulder aneurysm or ACL tear), the player could come back as a Greek God.

Again, I could be misinterpreting this or citing others inaccurately or misremembering what I've read, but the way it used to work was that when a player got injured, you would place him on the DL and he would get an injury recovery cycle every 30 to 40 game cycles or so. Due to this, on the longer injuries, some folks would benefit from the player getting better as he recovered from the injury. So, when people saw this, they complained and Admin finally turned off in-season incremental injury recovery. This caused an unintentional problem because ever since then, most players that get injured more than 100 days never fully recover regardless of makeup rating or medical budgets.

Every now and then a player will get that shoulder aneurysm or ACL tear later in the year and they'll get big time injury recovery cycles the following season, but those happen so infrequently, that they are nearly forgotten.

So, OG owners, please discuss. Again, maybe I have this all wrong, but based on what I've read, I must be pretty close.
4/2/2024 5:19 PM (edited)
That's pretty accurate.

I remember one world in particular had a top tier pitcher whose control was 96 or 97. He got injured near season's end and put on dl after rollover. He received so many recovery cycles he ended the season with a control of 102.
It reverted back to 100 after rollover but it highlighted the issue.

I would agree with what damag says above. Fixing that issue would likely require a full rewrite. From the options listed by admin, I don't believe they're in a position to do so at this time.
4/2/2024 7:06 PM
Posted by tlowster on 4/2/2024 5:19:00 PM (view original):
I will let the OG HBD folks chime in, but based on what I've read, they used to have this thing that they called the "medical bug". Again, this is all from what I've read, but the way the story goes is that, some time back before I started playing (late 2017), if you ran a $20 medical budget, every injured player could be placed on the DL for 60 days and some of them would come back even stronger than they did pre-injury.

People didn't seem to mind so much on the 20 day injuries. My guess is that is because those have less impact.

After a while, some people complained to Admin about this because, in some cases, a player getting a major injury (180+ day Injury like shoulder surgery or herniated disk), you would place the player on the 60 day DL and if the injury was early enough in the season, the player had a decent makeup rating and the team had a high medical budget, the player might come back stronger than he was pre-injury.

Where the cake really got taken, though, was when you had one of those catastrophic injuries (shoulder aneurysm or ACL tear), the player could come back as a Greek God.

Again, I could be misinterpreting this or citing others inaccurately or misremembering what I've read, but the way it used to work was that when a player got injured, you would place him on the DL and he would get an injury recovery cycle every 30 to 40 game cycles or so. Due to this, on the longer injuries, some folks would benefit from the player getting better as he recovered from the injury. So, when people saw this, they complained and Admin finally turned off in-season incremental injury recovery. This caused an unintentional problem because ever since then, most players that get injured more than 100 days never fully recover regardless of makeup rating or medical budgets.

Every now and then a player will get that shoulder aneurysm or ACL tear later in the year and they'll get big time injury recovery cycles the following season, but those happen so infrequently, that they are nearly forgotten.

So, OG owners, please discuss. Again, maybe I have this all wrong, but based on what I've read, I must be pretty close.
It still happens. I did it this season for Tris Matthews.
4/4/2024 9:12 AM
Right, but my understanding was that it used to happen with all injuries so the 180+ day injuries would allow the player to fully recover assuming a high medical budget. So, people complained about people using the medical bug and Admin took it away to where only 27 day (or shorter) injuries and 280+ day season over season injuries work. So, now, most longer injuries result in players that never fully recover. If a player gets an injury that is 180 days, you place him on the 60 day DL, he gets one injury recovery cycle. However, if a player gets a 20 day injury and you place him on the 60 day DL, he could get two injury recovery cycles. It's completely broken. AND THE FIX WOULD NOT BE TO TAKE AWAY THE 60 DAY DL STRATEGY ON 20 DAY INJURIES AND LEAVE THE 180+ DAY INJURIES ALONE. We either need to go back to the way it was where players could fully recover from long injuries and deal with the owners that use the bug to their advantage or completely fix it some other way. The way it is right now is completely broken.
4/4/2024 12:16 PM
I agree.
They should've left it alone.
That's why I am leery of code changes precisely because of unintended consequences, which is what we're discussing here.
4/4/2024 12:34 PM
Oh. Yes I agree. Its more so luck of the draw now and there are often times where 20 million medical goes to waste even with guys getting injuries. Although people say its an injury bug I think it actually makes more guys playable in the world. AAAA guys can become major leaguers with a good injury. Good players can become great at the cost of playing time. Its still a strategy and can still backfire. Teams can draft guys with under 50 health without worry. If you take away the injury bug entirely the pool of useable Major League players becomes much smaller.
4/4/2024 1:20 PM
Can we stop calling it a "bug?"

Spending to the maximum $20M on Medical should earn you a benefit which owners who are maxing out on... um, other things... should not get.

4/4/2024 2:08 PM
I agree -- never liked the name bug. I was just calling it by its known name.
4/4/2024 3:06 PM
Posted by rbedwell on 3/27/2024 6:26:00 PM (view original):
They need to fix the mismatch of Asian names and countries of origin. They seem to think that all Asian names are interchangeable in all Asian countries, but nothing could be further from the truth. It's clueless, at best.
no one. else. ever. cared. literally
4/5/2024 10:06 PM
Posted by tlowster on 4/2/2024 9:55:00 AM (view original):
There are 37+ pages of "quality of life" ideas on a separate thread. We can use that thread for ideas. I think the most broken thing in hbd is injury recovery. If there us an hbd update that doesn't include a fix to injury recovery inconsistencies between a late season injury and early season injury, then it fails to have the best and most significant positive impact on the game.

If a player gets a 180+ day injury early in the sseason, he only gets one injury recovery cycle at the end of the season. However, if that same player gets that same injury late in the season, the player gets an injury recovery cycle at the end of the season, another during season roll and has the potential to be DL eligible for the following season to where he can have an opportunity for more recovery bumps and maybe fully recover. The above is with a maximum medical budget of $20 million. If you have less than $20 in medical, that difference between the early season injury and late season injury is even more profound.
There are also 37+ other threads you've posted this in. So if quality of life updates continue to come in here, despite your request, you have plenty of other avenues to carry this conversation to!
4/5/2024 10:09 PM
1 - NL DH option
2 - Custom league options for caps on player payroll, prospects, etc.

thanks in advance for working on this
4/5/2024 10:11 PM
Posted by rbedwell on 4/1/2024 5:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jlinchec on 3/30/2024 12:22:00 PM (view original):
Why can’t you change your pitching rotation in the playoffs?
You definitely can change it, and as many times as you want.
But only two cycles before the game. What he is saying is Game 3 starter locks before you see Game 2 results. He wants to change the SP the cycle before the game. Say he lost game 2, and is now down 2-0. Based on the result, he may want to change it up based on the outcome and use someone else for game 3, the guy he had as SP4 before game 2. But he can't, because simultaneously in the Game 2 cycle, it locked SP3 as the starter for Game 3. You can't change "the ball" after game 2 happened for Game 3.
4/5/2024 10:40 PM
Posted by alogman1 on 4/5/2024 10:06:00 PM (view original):
They need to fix the mismatch of Asian names and countries of origin. They seem to think that all Asian names are interchangeable in all Asian countries, but nothing could be further from the truth. It's clueless, at best.
Actually, I do.

"Clueless, at best." Actually, it's embarrassing. Compared to the rest of the site. You ever consider how much generation goes into just making fake names up? Yet from everything I've seen throughout the entire WiS site, they've not had any trouble generating fake Latino, Czech, Russian, whatever. Even the Soccer sim, which for all I know had literally ONE guy write it and it's never been updated.

Compared to that relative standard of quality, the Asian names in HBD are, as stated, "clueless at best." Be a shame if it had been done intentionally.

4/6/2024 8:02 AM
Posted by damag on 4/6/2024 8:02:00 AM (view original):
Posted by alogman1 on 4/5/2024 10:06:00 PM (view original):
Actually, I do.

"Clueless, at best." Actually, it's embarrassing. Compared to the rest of the site. You ever consider how much generation goes into just making fake names up? Yet from everything I've seen throughout the entire WiS site, they've not had any trouble generating fake Latino, Czech, Russian, whatever. Even the Soccer sim, which for all I know had literally ONE guy write it and it's never been updated.

Compared to that relative standard of quality, the Asian names in HBD are, as stated, "clueless at best." Be a shame if it had been done intentionally.

While that may be true, is improved name generation the best use of the very limited resources to work on enhancements? Maybe for a couple of people. They could make 100 updates to the game, and some would still find something wrong with it. It's never going to be a perfect experience for every user. If they ever do make any enhancements, I expect there to be a vocal minority still highly dissatisfied.
4/6/2024 9:37 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Site Update HBD Poll Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.