Complementary Football Theme League - NFL28591 Topic

I have always been disappointed that one of the easiest paths to success in open league format is to spend bare minimum on K, P, and ST and very little on Defense.

I’m not saying you can’t win with defense in open leagues. Many, including myself, have had success with putting a real defense and a mediocre offense, but it is clear that the simplest path to a winning record to spend as much as possible on offense.

This league is designed to be a place where all three phases, hopefully, come into play. At first, I thought about a minimum needing to be spent on each of Def, ST, K, and P but worried that would make all the teams too similar. So here is what I landed on trying for this first pass:
League rules:

• 65 Mill league
  • Def + ST + K + P > $30,000,000
  • All Offense, therefore, <$35,000,000
  • No clones

As an example, comparing to how much is spent on the Open League 50 Packers Def ultra offenses:

• Generally speaking, those teams spend 16.546M on Def, 325K on P and K, and 877K on ST (2020 Packers).
  • That is $18,073,000 leaving just a hair under $42Mill for Offense.

In this league,

• Teams would have 7Mill (or more) LESS to spend on offense and
  • be going up against defenses that are likely to be at least $9-10Million dollars stronger (more if an owner decides to still spend almost nothing on ST).

With Better Defenses and no all-around juggernaut offenses, strategic team-building, game day strategy, and coaching settings should hopefully matter more. I feel like DCarden’s 50Mill league has shown that when there’s not enough money to do everything, we end up with a wider variety of team styles and I am hoping this will be an interesting variation as we’ll have more money to do some things very well but not enough to do everything well.

You can field two teams but no repeated players on both teams other than backups less than 500K. Absolutely no repeats on Def, ST, K, or P between your two teams.

Waiver wire allowed since those positions aren’t on the wire anyway.

3/16/2024 11:05 PM (edited)
danpsull71, You have got my attention, for me to ever do a 60 mil Open League again. It would probably take my pets being taken hostage. I am over that unimaginative part of my membership here.

You have taken on some open grounds. We can wrap fun Leagues around the 60 mil Open stuff and make it a by product. I hope to throw a high 50 mil Draft League out there soon with exclusive players.
3/16/2024 9:30 PM
Hey DC, I like the idea of exclusive players on a high 50m league. That’d be fun.

Hoping this league would be a real defensive league. Feel like scoring should go way down with less money for offense and a chunk more for defense. Also hoping it makes the kicking game relevant.
3/16/2024 11:04 PM
Go ahead,
An get a signup list going for this one, Danpsull71.
65 mil with twists versus 50 mil straight forward, should not make for nearly as much recruiting.

I'm in
3/16/2024 11:39 PM
I like it
3/23/2024 5:17 AM
Posted by tomhanrahan on 3/23/2024 5:17:00 AM (view original):
I like it
This feels right up your alley.
3/23/2024 6:55 PM
Team entered.

4/6/2024 10:33 PM
I will give it a shot
4/13/2024 5:04 PM
Hey gyrene and riverratk, sorry I didn’t see these earlier. This league seemed dead in the water but you’ve given it some life. I’ll get back in there and see if we can’t make this happen. Thanks for trying it.
4/15/2024 12:31 AM
Complementary Football Theme League - NFL28591 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.