BNL #8 Draft - APB! Topic

The times on page 1 are updated, as well as the records of picks.
I added times for round 3 and will copy those to the top message at the end of round 2.
We are on track to finish the draft and start daggers in just over a week.

For daggers it will not be important to go in "team" order (1-24), but it needs to go in order in a different sense.
First, dagger 1 is thrown at you.
Second, you offer one of your four teams to the annoited dagger hurler for dagger 2.
Third, dagger 3 is thrown.
Fourth, you assemble a team within league rules and post for approval.
Fifth, you get an approved roster and I share the league number so you can formally add your team.
That could happen as early as 2 weeks for now, given or take.
3/23/2024 3:12 PM
_jwillis selected the 1978 Yankees to start his build. I very fine pick. If Guidry makes it through he’ll be a dominating ace and maybe you can sneak in Goose Gossage? The Yanks do make it plausible. On offense they boast 7 of 8 usable position players to choose from, all priced between $3.5M and $4.8M: Munson at C, Chambliss at 1B, Randolph at 2B, Nettles at 3B, Rivers, Jackson, and Piniella in the OF… all very usable and affordable. His only weak link is Bucky Dent who is cheap but can’t hit and moves like he’s in quicksand in the field. I suppose the closest to success I could get to success here would be to find a team that offers what you already have on offense and some crappy but usable pitching options…

That sounds like the 1948 Cincinnati Reds! Let’s see, do they have a crappy choice at SS? Yes! Virgil Stallcup, if you so choose to draft him, hits and fields worse that Bucky! But he does have 600 PA’s for only $2.5M. Guidry is used to having Bucky making a small dent on ground balls behind him.
What about pitching? I suppose Johnny Van Der Meer is a plausible option at $5.6M. Raffensberger is affordable at $4.3M. Blackwell would actually make a nice 5th starter…you’re welcome.

There are a few OF options but you have OF’s. And Kluszewski could be a platoon option at first. On the bench there are a few cheap options which will be helpful. In the end, yes, there are 6 usable players here but usable doesn’t equate to good, or even helpful. In the wrong park, they may be downright painful. Good luck!
3/23/2024 4:05 PM
I’m out with my family but will pick when I get home in the next hour or so. Apologies for the delay.
3/23/2024 6:04 PM
Posted by _jwillis on 3/23/2024 6:04:00 PM (view original):
I’m out with my family but will pick when I get home in the next hour or so. Apologies for the delay.
No rush, your window does not close for nearly 3 hours anyway.
3/23/2024 6:07 PM
So clayton has the 1988 Oakland A's, who won 104 games and an AL pennant. This is a good team, make no mistake, but it's a team with some weak spots that might be exploited.

Offensively, the A's best position players are mostly 1B/OF types: Canseco, McGwire, Dave Henderson. They infield options are passable but hardly glamorous, and what's more, they're almost entirely devoid of cheap bench options. The 88s have only one position player under $1M, and even he costs $975K. On the mound, they have a fantastic closer in Dennis Eckersley, a reliable-if-unspectacular starter in Dave Stewart, and a bunch of fungible guys who all qualify more as innings eaters than anything else.

To pair with the 88s, let's serve up an earlier vintage of the same franchise: the 1958 Kansas City A's.

This wasn't a terrible team in real life--they went 73-81, which isn't winning any awards but isn't an unseemly showing. But when you look at their roster in WIS, things take a turn for the worse.

For one thing, the 58s best hitter--Bob Cerv--plays the OF, where the 88s are already strong. For another thing, they don't have a single position player who costs less than $1M, so no help for clayton in terms of finding cheap backups. And like the 88s, the 58s have only one SS on their roster, which means clayton might have to roster two $2M+ stinkers at SS if he can't find a cheap backup in the next two rounds.

On the pitching side, the 58s are just more of the same: middle-of-the-road innings eaters with problematic HR rates. Sure, there's a cheap-and-effective Duke Maas mixed in there, but it's an uninspired bunch.

Good luck clayton! I expect you'll need it.
3/23/2024 7:26 PM
Well redcped took the 1988 Reds and he will have some fun trying to accommodate the fine players from the 1968 Washington Senators. Enjoy

3/23/2024 9:15 PM
Vilefileman, you took a strong first team, once I almost took myself, the 1968 Orioles. Led by a great Dave McNally, you've got enough quality pitchers that you wouldn't need to use any of their hitters and be just fine. Of course, they only have 11 hitters available to you and no backups at any of the infield positions. Also, none of their hitters cost under $1M, so it's no place to find cheap backups of any kind.

So my goal was to find you a team that you wouldn't really want to use their pitchers very much, didn't have cheap backups in the infield available, and generally would weaken your offense because you'd likely have to roster quite a few of them.

Let's meet the 1988 Texas Rangers.

Their "best" hitter is Pete Incaviglia, with a .788 OPS. He strikes out a bit, too. OK OK, he led the league in those. There's a pretty average 1B in Pete O'Brien and a pretty average 3B in Steve Buechele. It's not the makings of a feared lineup, to be sure.

Also, they have no 2nd player at 1B, 3B, or SS. So you won't get any backup help there. They do have two players under $1M, but both are over 800K so no cheap roster spots can be filled. They do have a backup 2B, as I had to give you something. But he's going to cost you over $1M.

On the pitching side, there is one nice reliever there in Craig McMurtry. Of course you already have lots of good RP from the Orioles, so it's not really making you much better there than you would have been. And then any of the rest of their pitchers aren't as good as at least 8 of your Orioles. I won't be sad if you use any other Rangers on your staff.

So you still don't get any roster flexibility or players you'll be too excited to use. Good luck!
3/24/2024 1:04 AM
Ribbentrop gets the 78 Minnesota Twins
3/24/2024 10:18 AM
Posted by Ribbentrop on 3/24/2024 11:45:00 AM (view original):
Looking Now ... jbar8888 Chose the
Baltimore Orioles 90 71
There are 4 SP with 235 to 284 IP/162 with $5,770,573 to $8,012,748 (Jim Palmer with adequate PH stats for SP in $80M) ... I guess that would be one reason chosen ... Were 20th to choose in Round 1

Daggering Palmer would leave 3 more usable or viable SP ... Relief Pitchers certainly not overawing with Don Stanhouse 76 IP leading the way #ERC 3.31

On Offense 3B Doug DeCinces And 1B Eddie Murray and OF Ken Singleton Could be Starters
Noticed also OF Pat Kelly who I saw play for the Royal in 69/70 ...

Now I look

Continued
Are you KC area or Royals fan? I'm the latter and only a couple hours from former but didn't hop the bandwagon until 78.
3/24/2024 11:49 AM
Posted by Ribbentrop on 3/24/2024 12:13:00 PM (view original):
Baltimore Orioles 90 71
There are 4 SP with 235 to 284 IP/162 with $5,770,573 to $8,012,748 (Jim Palmer with adequate PH stats for SP in $80M) ... I guess that would be one reason chosen ... Were 20th to choose in Round 1

Daggering Palmer would leave 3 more usable or viable SP ... Relief Pitchers certainly not overawing with Don Stanhouse 76 IP leading the way #ERC 3.31

On Offense 3B Doug DeCinces And 1B Eddie Murray and OF Ken Singleton Could be Starters
Noticed also OF Pat Kelly who I saw play for the Royal in 69/70 ...

1968 Washington Senators

League: AL
Record: 65 - 96

On Offense have 3 players with more than 630 PA and they are at 3B and OF with Frank Howard OF/1B to be Daggered

Current Payroll: $56,345,151 a Staggering amount ...

Interestingly enough there are 9 Pitchers with 94 or more IP With Max 203 and 225 ... Team ERA A respectable 3.57 ... Good luck with your starting 6 SP :)
I was already assigned the 68 Senators just a couple picks above.
3/24/2024 12:17 PM
Also, as a general note, it is considered bad form in this league to suggest which players should be dagger targets for the other owners later. We have always refrained from that and let each owner evaluate their opponents on their own to make dagger decisions.
3/24/2024 12:21 PM
Baltimore Orioles 90 71

Relief Pitchers certainly not overawing with Don Stanhouse 76 IP leading the way #ERC 3.31

Noticed also OF Pat Kelly who I saw play for KC 69/70

I gift the 1938 Brooklyn Dodgers to jbar8888 ...

Sorry in my wanting to write a neat review I only looked on the Forum first page and Washington 1968 not crossed off ... Class of 1975 KCMO Southwest H.S. ... George Brett 3 1/2 Years older
3/24/2024 12:39 PM (edited)
ok c_burns, you are up. do your worst buddy.
3/24/2024 1:47 PM
C_Burns04 is gifting the 1978 Cubs to jpeterso.
3/24/2024 6:47 PM
I think the strikethroughs are up to date. Thank you all for the occasional backchannel when something is incorrect!

I try to update in real time, which means using my phone and the strikethrough feature is rarely offered except when I am at a full size computer.

The list of teams taken (3rd post) is usually the most up to date option (besides reading each pick and keeping track, of course). But I know that the strike throughs are helpful so I am trying to keep caught up on them as well.
3/24/2024 6:55 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...26 Next ▸
BNL #8 Draft - APB! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.