Baseball Tycoon League Full-Waitlisting Topic

Posted by grayfoxx on 3/7/2024 2:01:00 PM (view original):
Question - during the bidding each day, are you allowed to bid on any of the 60 players, or are you limited to just 5 *up bids* ?
I think a limit of 5 makes it more challenging, rather than throwing bids on everyone available................... choose wisely.
I thought about limiting it to a certain number of Bids and would be open to 5 or 10 at the most.
3/7/2024 5:26 PM
I am interested but I have questions. First, is there a limit on how many players you can acquire in a single round? If I can bid on 10 players, then I can win 10 bids. I would think if you can only offer 5 at a time, you should only be allowed to bid up on 5, so you cannot end up with more than 5 players per round.
3/9/2024 10:39 AM
Second, I really like the 4th strategy. I think it may be the best feature of the league. But I don't see much strategy at all in the 3rd. Most teams focus on starters. We can have 6-10 bench players that can go for 1 yr/1 point. If I have 17 starters (9 positions + 4 SP + 4 RP) I can't bid 9 points on all of them, but I can bid at least 8 on each one. With fewer points, say 125, the strategy would increase significantly.. I'm not asking you to change, but if you have thought this out, maybe you can enlighten me on where the strategy is more important with 150 points. Is it to make future seasons more competitive?
3/9/2024 10:47 AM
Thanks firesalt for your interest and questions.

There is no limit to the number of players you can win in a round... you just can't Bid on more players than you need to fill your roster, which is understandable.
I'm not sure being able to Bid on 5 players, or more than 5 players will be a huge deal. To start, I'm sure that with 12 owners each submitting 5 players that there are going to be quite a few duplicates, especially at the beginning since eveyone is going to want the better players. We may only have 20-30 players in each of the first few rounds. With 12 owners bidding on 5 players that means multiple Bids on every player anyway, so if you could Bid on 10 players or even more to raise Bids then there will also be multiple Bids on every player. Same difference. In the end, there is only ONE Bid that will count no matter how many Bids a player gets.... the highest Bid. The fact that a Bid can be raised again the next day does 2 things, 1) it gives everyone a CHANCE at every player unlike a usual draft and 2) it brings out the true value of that player because of the competition of Bidding. The last thing I want is a player like a Mays going to someone cheap because owners didn't have enough Bids available to raise them to where they could or should be.
I'll ask you a question, if you can only Bid on 5 players and choose to raise the Bids on Mays, Rose, Koufax, Gibson, and Seaver and then Aaron, Clemente, Stargell, Simmons and Palmer all get taken in a round because no one else Bid on them would you be okay with that? Knowing if you had more than 5 Bids you could have forced them into a higher Bid? I'm just saying.... it works both ways. How will you feel if you don't end up with any of the 5 you Bid on and then the next 5 on your list are already gone because you were limited in your Bids? Personally I would feel better being able to Bid on as many players as I want at anytime as often as I want, knowing that will get all of the players to their highest Bid.

As to the 150 points that can be used, yes it was arrived at to accomodate future seasons. After season 1 you will get back 25 "Years" since each player used one year. (25x1=25) But you will only get back the same number of points of your expiring contracts. So if you Bid 1 year/1 point you'll get back 1 point. Any player with more than 1 year still needs all of his points to cover his contract for the next year. Example: 2years/5points. You still have to pay those 5 points again in year 2.
3/9/2024 4:58 PM (edited)
Thank you for the detailed and thoughtful response, bheid. To answer your question, I would have no problem if Aaron, Clemente, Stargell, etc. got taken cheap because no one bid on them. That's the beauty of an auction. Some guys will go cheap. But everyone will have had a fair chance at them, and can only blame themselves for letting them go at below value. If all the good platers get driven up to $9, we might as well just have a draft. Either way, there will be players that are not popular, but are personal favorites that teams will get at what they feel is a bargain. That is what makes an auction fun. I still think the greatest strategy will be handling year two. I still favor limiting it to five bids, but I'll join the league either way.
3/9/2024 11:23 PM
Thanks for joining firesalt.
We will vote on how many players you can Bid on to raise when the league fills. I'm willing to go either way if it means this gets up and running.
As for the 150 points, I'm also willing to lower it for the Initial Auction and then add them back in the next couple of seasons. 125/yr1. 135/yr2, 150/yr3.
3/10/2024 7:37 AM
Sounds good. Looking forward to it.
3/10/2024 2:21 PM
I think we all should start with 150 Points to spend... Not Less... Don't take the Fun out of Bidding Wars... : )
3/10/2024 2:41 PM
Who's next?
Only need 3 more.

Acquire your players and build your team limited only by your ability to manage a Bank on an equal basis with everyone else, every year, verses the "luck of a random draw". You'll have an equal chance at every set of new players entering the league regardless of your W/L record of the previous season. It puts you in control. No more missing out on a Bonds or Maddux because you don't draft 1st or 2nd.
3/12/2024 12:25 PM
Extra incentive to join.........

I will give the Theme League founders credit every season to the winner of the World Series.
3/13/2024 4:44 PM
Lets get the rules set and go with it.
The Bids will be limited to 8 total when rebidding or raising Bids. We'll also stay with 150 points total. It's up to you how you use them. Spend or save 'em. That in itself is a strategy that you'll need to decide on and live with if you over-spend.

Last call for 3 more.
3/17/2024 9:31 AM
I will join
3/17/2024 1:15 PM
Thanks grayfoxx
3/17/2024 5:03 PM
Sounds very interesting, bheid, I'll give it a try.
3/18/2024 2:17 AM
Thank You... mac195

Who wants the last spot?
3/18/2024 8:45 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Baseball Tycoon League Full-Waitlisting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.