Baseball Tycoon League Full-Waitlisting Topic

Baseball Tycoon League

Looking for 11 dedicated owners to join me in this unique multi-function, multi-season league.
To give this a greater chance to get off the ground, we will start with 12 teams, 2 divisions of 6, and plan for expansion to 16 teams down the road.

This will be a Bid League where you have to out-Bid other Owners to get the players you want. NO DRAFT.
In addition to that, you will get to pick which seasons of each player you want. Want 4, 5, 6 seasons or more of Willie Mays? You decide how many and which ones.

We will use Players that played in 1965 for the Initial Bid pool. All of the seasons of those players are available to use.
Each season thereafter a randomly drawn season from 1966-2023 will be used to get new players to Bid on. Only rookies (1st season WIS) from that season will be used. Seasons before 1965 won't be used in the draw until all of the players that played in Season 1 have disappeared from the league. Thus no chance of duplicates.

You have a Bank of "75 Years" and "150 Points" total to use.

Bidding Process:
Everyone will send me a Bid on 5 players at a time. Each time will be considered a Round. We won't start the next Round until every player in the previous Round has been won by an Owner. I will send my Bids to another Owner after they have sent me theirs. I won't open any Bids until they have opened mine.

Bids must include a number of "Years" and a number of "Points". (Example: Willie Mays @ 5years/5 points).
Years are used first to determine high Bid. A Bid of 5 years/5 points would still be higher than a Bid of 4years/9points. Points are only used to break a tie in "Years".
The lowest a Bid can be is 1 year/1 point.
The highest a Bid for "Years" can be, is the number of seasons a player has in the WIS database. "Years" directly correlates with seasons.
The highest a "Point" Bid can be is 9. If someone has a Bid of 9 points on a player, then you would have to add another "Year" to increase that Bid.
If you Bid the maximum number of "Years" and "Points (9) on a player and no one else Bid the same then you would automatically get that player since his Bid could not be raised. (Example: Sandy Koufax @ 12years/9 points. He doesn't have 13 seasons so you cannot Bid 13 Years, and 9 points is the highest point total you can Bid).

After I have everyones list of Bids I will post them in the forum. All of the players that received an opening Bid are available to be Bid on by everyone else.
New Bids must be higher than the posted Bid. To raise a Bid you must add "Years" or "Points".
Bidding will close at 8:00AM EST each day. I will then post highest Bids and after they have been posted you can SiteMail me new Bids for the next day.
You can only send Bids once per day on the current list of players in that Round.
When a Bid goes 24 hours without being raised, it will be considered the final Bid and that Owner gets that player.
When the next round starts we will repeat the same process on a new set of players, 5 per Owner.
You can raise the Bid on up to 8 players each day. Once you get to the point where you need less than 8 players to fill your roster, you can only Bid on that many players.

Any players that end in a tied Bid will be removed for that round and be available the next round. If they end in a tied Bid twice, they will be blacklisted.
If you overBid and run out of "Years" or "Points" before your roster is full, (25 Players), you will get a randomly drawn player below $300K to fill each empty spot on your roster and you will incur a penalty of 1 "Year" and 6 "Points" from your Bank for the next season.

Starting with Season 2 you will get back 25 "Years" and the total number of "Points" you spent on the contracts that are expiring.

Once a player has played all of the seasons in his contract, he becomes a Free Agent and all of the seasons that were not used will be available to Bid on again. After all of a players seasons have been used or he fails to get Bid on, he will be removed from the league.

Trades are allowed but you must be able to pay the difference in Years and Points. Years and Points can also be Traded.

No Salary Cap
Yes DH
No WW
No AAA
No Clones
Injuries off
Any Ballpark
Random Alignment each season
3/18/2024 8:50 AM (edited)
Owners: bheid408;kallison1;midknight;sigblend;doctorwoo;rls1;benfc;strubrosII;firesalt;grayfoxx;mac195;rejay
3/22/2024 8:48 AM (edited)
OK, I'll Commit to the League...
2/27/2024 10:45 AM
I'm in
2/27/2024 11:39 AM
In
2/27/2024 1:19 PM
In
2/27/2024 1:46 PM
In
2/27/2024 3:12 PM
In
2/27/2024 4:01 PM
7 In
Thanks

just need 5 more.
Who's up for a bidding frenzy?
2/27/2024 7:55 PM
Won't be complicated.
I will keep track of seasons on every player.
All you have to do is pick which season you want to use of the ones you take. Get Willie Mays and take his 5 most expensive seasons, '54, '55, '57, '58, and '62. -- Use them in any order, your choice.
2/28/2024 12:15 PM
i'll play

So theres no real strategy in your opening bid or who you put up....everyone has a chance to rebid any of them?
I think it would be a lot more challenging if it was a 1 shot deal on your bid.....if there is a tie the players is out
3/3/2024 11:11 PM (edited)
Posted by strubrosII on 3/3/2024 11:11:00 PM (view original):
i'll play

So theres no real strategy in your opening bid or who you put up....everyone has a chance to rebid any of them?
I think it would be a lot more challenging if it was a 1 shot deal on your bid.....if there is a tie the players is out
Thanks strubrosII.

Yes, everyone can Bid on everyone elses players, which in theory shoud make their Bids be what the player is worth. Some may over-Bid to get a player, some will get a steal. But it should even out as we go.
I envision the first list or two of players taking a while to get final Bids on, since everyone will want the best players. As we start adding some of the lesser desired players the Bidding process will go faster since Bids won't likely be raised as often or as much. If you lose out on players like Mays, Koufax, Gibson, you'll spend a little more on the lesser players so your team isn't horrible and the owners who got the Mays, Koufaxs and Gibsons won't have the years or points left to rasie your Bids as easily. It all comes down to how much you are willing to pay and everyone has the same number in their Bank.

A TON OF STRATEGY IS INVOLVED.

Strategy #1, is deciding how many seasons you want to sign a player for. With only 75 years available the average Bid on 25 players is 3 years. If you start bidding more than that on some players it will cut down on the number you can give to other players.

Strategy #2, is the more seasons you Bid on to get a player, brings into play some of his poorer seasons. For instance, Bid 2 years/9points on Joe Horlen because you want his 2 best seasons, '64 and '67. In order for someone to raise that Bid they'd have to add a 3rd season which isn't nearly as good as his 2 best seasons. This works 2 ways, if you have the 2years/9points Bid, you are forcing another owner to take a 3rd season which they maybe don't want to use on him or just don't want to use of him or it might work in reverse if they are the owner who has that Bid forcing you to take that 3rd season.

Strategy #3, You only have 150 points to use which is an average of 6 per player. You can't Bid 9 points on every player forcing someone to take an extra season. That strategy won't work on every player.

Strategy #4, do you use all of your years and points in the initial Bid process? You won't know who is going to be up for Bid next season.

Strategy #5, do you play all of the best seasons of your 25 players the same season hoping to stomp on everyone else that year or do you spread them out hoping to win multiple seasons using a more balanced approach? How will the other owners play their teams?
3/4/2024 10:08 AM (edited)
8 in............ Only need 4
3/4/2024 10:10 AM
Posted by bheid408 on 3/4/2024 10:08:00 AM (view original):
Posted by strubrosII on 3/3/2024 11:11:00 PM (view original):
i'll play

Thanks strubrosII.

Yes, everyone can Bid on everyone elses players, which in theory shoud make their Bids be what the player is worth. Some may over-Bid to get a player, some will get a steal. But it should even out as we go.
I envision the first list or two of players taking a while to get final Bids on, since everyone will want the best players. As we start adding some of the lesser desired players the Bidding process will go faster since Bids won't likely be raised as often or as much. If you lose out on players like Mays, Koufax, Gibson, you'll spend a little more on the lesser players so your team isn't horrible and the owners who got the Mays, Koufaxs and Gibsons won't have the years or points left to rasie your Bids as easily. It all comes down to how much you are willing to pay and everyone has the same number in their Bank.

A TON OF STRATEGY IS INVOLVED.

Strategy #1, is deciding how many seasons you want to sign a player for. With only 75 years available the average Bid on 25 players is 3 years. If you start bidding more than that on some players it will cut down on the number you can give to other players.

Strategy #2, is the more seasons you Bid on to get a player, brings into play some of his poorer seasons. For instance, Bid 2 years/9points on Joe Horlen because you want his 2 best seasons, '64 and '67. In order for someone to raise that Bid they'd have to add a 3rd season which isn't nearly as good as his 2 best seasons. This works 2 ways, if you have the 2years/9points Bid, you are forcing another owner to take a 3rd season which they maybe don't want to use on him or just don't want to use of him or it might work in reverse if they are the owner who has that Bid forcing you to take that 3rd season.

Strategy #3, You only have 150 points to use which is an average of 6 per player. You can't Bid 9 points on every player forcing someone to take an extra season. That strategy won't work on every player.

Strategy #4, do you use all of your years and points in the initial Bid process? You won't know who is going to be up for Bid next season.

Strategy #5, do you play all of the best seasons of your 25 players the same season hoping to stomp on everyone else that year or do you spread them out hoping to win multiple seasons using a more balanced approach? How will the other owners play their teams?
I agree there is plenty of strategy needed...just not on your intial bid or who you throw out. It'll be fun
3/4/2024 10:45 PM
Question - during the bidding each day, are you allowed to bid on any of the 60 players, or are you limited to just 5 *up bids* ?
I think a limit of 5 makes it more challenging, rather than throwing bids on everyone available................... choose wisely.
3/7/2024 2:01 PM
123 Next ▸
Baseball Tycoon League Full-Waitlisting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.