SD Gate: Big Class Loophole Topic

Alex, I would like to give you a different perspective. First, let me say one might take offense of being called a low life cheater. I employ the very large recruiting class but I won't jump to the thought that you actually think that I or others that employ this method are automatically low life cheaters. When I go to recruit I find my options for the talent I want are pretty much 60% to 70% 1000+ miles away. I could move to a school that has more lucrative recruiting but I actually have a reason for choosing the college team I did. When recruiting with an average or small bank roll teams with a large local recruiting base can easily get cheap signings and have enough to then come into my area and challenge me for the few local talent I can see. I am just finishing recruiting in which I 8 of the 17 o-lineman I considered were 1100 miles away. The closest one was 300+ miles while the next was 400+ miles. Five of the 7 D-backs I considered were over 1000+ miles, one was 900+ miles and the closest was 500+ miles away. Often I find a very good recruit in my local area but not in my vision. So to level the playing field I utilize a very large class which provides me with a bankroll that allows me to compete. Here is a thought. Maybe all recruits are open to every coach at the same cost then every one has the same opportunity for the best recruits. Or maybe give a more even distribution of recruits. I had 78 recruits I was considering of which only 3 were less than 200 miles. You know I never considered myself a low life cheater. I have played a long time and never jump a recruit that I was in a battle with late in the recruiting cycle. I hold myself to a standard I don't expect everyone to follow. I served my country 4 years when it was not always thought of as something honorable. I have lived my life where I think most would say he is a decent guy. But I will let you decide. Because I play in a way that gives me a chance to compete (that championship still aludes me) then post back that you think I am a low life cheater and I will leave the game.
2/18/2024 10:10 PM
First of all, you’re being very sensitive. It’s common knowledge for someone that has a disadvantage (Hawaii, Montana, G5, etc) to understand why they would use a big class strategy. Which is definitely valid and should be brought up. It’s the coaches who don’t need to and do it with intent to steal a national title bc they can’t play/strategize like every other coach season to season. My two big gripes was this and the recruit distribution. If they can install maps, playoffs etc they can figure out how to distribute the recruits. Maybe this will re-think those big class strategies. Maybe cap it at 40 per 2 cycles? That’s being generous. But when you see a coach have 35 SR’s, like cmon.. and why does the new coach have to deal with the restructuring. I chose WV bc the big East is the only power to have won the national title for what seems to be like 10 seasons. If I wanted in, the time was it. Idk why some of you can’t get that through your heads, maybe it correlates with the success you’ve had.
2/18/2024 10:54 PM
Posted by AlekTX2020 on 2/16/2024 4:27:00 PM (view original):
You can’t compare switching FIQ to balancing classes. A huge class restructure requires more than 3 seasons to adjust. Perhaps 6-8 seasons especially if the class is 30+. That takes a hit on your reputation cutting and wasting recruiting money.

Wilkinson requires joining the big East for NIL. I’ll win a national title with WVU but with an asterisk.

big classes are easy to win with, FIQ is 10+ higher than most teams regardless if you sign the whole class. It gives you enough money to focus on the main parts. Everyone would do it but most want to play fair, be in contention every season.
If big classes were easy to win with, why didn't you win or even get close to competing with big classes. It's because it's not easy to actually pull off that strategy when recruiting and you rather wine about it and come up with excuses for why your team is where it is. If it was easy and an auto win more coaches would do it. You knew WV had large classes before you took the job and then failed miserably in recruiting. Looks like you proved it's not so easy.
2/21/2024 3:04 PM
Why don’t you do some research and realize I had no Bowl money the first cycle and I was being ultra aggressive. Why don’t you also check that I just racked in a monster big class the 2nd time around with bowl money.
2/21/2024 5:03 PM
Posted by AlekTX2020 on 2/21/2024 5:04:00 PM (view original):
Why don’t you do some research and realize I had no Bowl money the first cycle and I was being ultra aggressive. Why don’t you also check that I just racked in a monster big class the 2nd time around with bowl money.
It's really not that good of a class. You seem to think it's better than the team I put together to win the NC at West Virginia. We'll see. That team wasn't that strong though, one of the weakest stacked teams I've ever won a NC with. There were several narrow victories along the way and I got more than a little lucky. By comparison, the Rockne/Alabama team I put together that coolman now runs is a much more talented team, and more like the other stacked teams I've won with. We'll see how your team does.
2/21/2024 5:34 PM
Being ultra aggressive isn’t an excuse for failing it’s a reason. You act like you should get a cookie and a shoulder to cry on because you weren’t smart enough to recruit a large class with no bowl money. What about the next season with no bowl money? How’d you do then? What about the season after that? Oh look I did some research. Your classes were ranked 106 (worse than your first season) and then 61st. Stop playing SD for you sucking when you got there. There’s a reason why you lost to a SIM this season. You love hiding your excuses behind blaming everyone else. I’m sure it will get you real far in life.
2/21/2024 5:37 PM
weerdio, how about you look at my line up and realize im starting all FR, it didn't matter what i did the next seasons, my first class took up most of my scholarships. I was stuck with its success for the next 4 seasons. I've learned the geography and my opponents. It's well documented I wrote that I didn't know how to recruit the north east bc I never been on that side. Now I got it all figured out and contrary to SD's believe theres 100% no doubt my lcass is better than what he put together. he just needed to RS 50 more from the previous class to solidify his weaknesses. SD, you had alabama fool, what did you think was going to happen?
2/21/2024 5:49 PM
Wow Weerdio, 1200 games and you only have 1 title? USC since 179 and you can't win a title? Temple previous to that? The top recruiting locations in the game and you want to run your mouth about me?
2/21/2024 5:52 PM
In those seasons I was learning your recruiting ranking was 71st and 34th!? at USC?! 26th this cycle? YOURE ELITE
2/21/2024 5:54 PM
SD, your "WELL SEE" is your beta mechanism nervously inputting that it's better but hoping they don't develop to an even better class than what it was.
2/21/2024 5:55 PM
Posted by AlekTX2020 on 2/21/2024 5:55:00 PM (view original):
SD, your "WELL SEE" is your beta mechanism nervously inputting that it's better but hoping they don't develop to an even better class than what it was.
We’ll see
2/21/2024 6:01 PM
Yes If it's sure thing to win a title with a big class then I'm lock to win my first title with my Kanas team in Yost in 2 season since there sophomores now that class when there seniors will be 34-40 strong depending on how I redshirt a couple more to lower the class some.
2/21/2024 10:45 PM
I hated recruiting for big classes or against them.
I've seen classes of the whole team; 50 scholarships. That's rediculous. Also very rare. But more often I've seen classes in the 40's.
Ok. I hate them.
But I don't grouse about them. And Even though they have huge advantage that recruiting session I know they can be beaten. You just have to give the devil his due that recruiting session and know he aint gonna have any leverage for the next 3.
2/22/2024 3:03 AM
Posted by AlekTX2020 on 2/21/2024 5:54:00 PM (view original):
In those seasons I was learning your recruiting ranking was 71st and 34th!? at USC?! 26th this cycle? YOURE ELITE
Nice way to cherry pick 2 seasons where I had poor rankings. Still never lost to a SIM. I've never claimed to be a good coach, you're the one constantly popping off about how great you are and making excuses for why you are losing. Here's the difference between you and I. I have self awareness and know the areas where I'm not as good. You blame everyone and everything else around you for you lack of success.
2/22/2024 8:56 AM
Oh I’m not blaming anyone for my success, I haven’t done that at WV or MSU in Leahy. In fact I’m starting to become successful with both, WVU is growing. I talk sh*t but you won’t catch me randomly posting on someone’s topic trying to start a fight. This is a topic of discussion where I’m genuinely curious about people’s thoughts on it. Cherry picking isn’t when you point something out and I take a look at the same exact seasons. Sit this one out.
2/22/2024 9:50 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...11 Next ▸
SD Gate: Big Class Loophole Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.