BOWIS2024 Commentary/scoresheet Topic

I hate to admit but I wasn't paying as much attention yesterday cause I was entertaining family from out
of town and when I made my last 3 picks I forgot this was $55 Cap. For some reason I thought it was $50
so who knows if it'll be a good thing or a bad thing? I certainly would have taken a different big with more
minutes than Kanter. I'll just have to make do.
2/10/2024 8:04 PM
Here is some interesting data comparing this draft to 2023. (Analysis is from first 5 rounds)

Top 3 Risers - not counting undrafted
1. Damontis Sabonis 71 places
2. JaVale McGee 55
3. Oscar Robertson 41

Top 3 Previously Undrafted
1. Dejounte Murray 61
2. Zion Williamson 81
3. Wes Unseld 96

Top 3 Fallers - not counting undrafted
1. Donovon Mitchell (steal!!!) -47
2. Draymond Green -24
3. Magic Johnson -21

Top 3 Not Drafted this time
1. Tom Boerwinkle 59
2. Derek Harper 67
3. Deron Williams 89

Yes I drafted Boerwinkle - and yes the team sucked
2/14/2024 11:28 PM
I felt I could get Dejounte Murray in the last round. I made a decision to reach early for him because he was an intricate part of my initial battle plan. That plan was going well and then got blowed up in the 4th round. But I still think he will be a good asset to my team.

PS - Thanks for the data.
2/15/2024 1:18 AM
Posted by BenJoker on 2/14/2024 11:28:00 PM (view original):
Here is some interesting data comparing this draft to 2023. (Analysis is from first 5 rounds)

Top 3 Risers - not counting undrafted
1. Damontis Sabonis 71 places
2. JaVale McGee 55
3. Oscar Robertson 41

Top 3 Previously Undrafted
1. Dejounte Murray 61
2. Zion Williamson 81
3. Wes Unseld 96

Top 3 Fallers - not counting undrafted
1. Donovon Mitchell (steal!!!) -47
2. Draymond Green -24
3. Magic Johnson -21

Top 3 Not Drafted this time
1. Tom Boerwinkle 59
2. Derek Harper 67
3. Deron Williams 89

Yes I drafted Boerwinkle - and yes the team sucked
One note I think I picked Zion in the 6th last season (to be my backup pg with his 23 season, no wonder I finished 36-46)

I can’t believe Donovan Mitchell fell to me. Amazing backup for Luka and I’ll probably get him minutes behind Erving. Sorry if I’m last in somehow I’ll try and be in by noon eastern today.
2/15/2024 8:14 AM
19342 240.60 76.86 501 1962 23.19 111.27 57.21 42.17 101.93 68.92 13.65 7.78 71.82 144.10 8.80 12.35 19.65 47.40
min Minpg def 3s ftm fp48 usage efg oreb dreb ast tov FTA48 FT% CREb stl% blk% per paint

i hope your teams can make fts because I will be sending you to the line a lot. Feels like I should be good in the rebounding, defense and efg department but who knows guess we’ll see.
2/15/2024 9:20 AM
Self analysis - Sammy Hagar
Pros -
  • rebounding
  • EFG%
  • good balance of inside and out
Cons -
  • Will 40 minutes of KD (97) & Zion (98) at SG dilute their value too much?
  • 7000 minutes of 50 defense (good kill me)
  • Turnovers - I clearly don't understand how this works
  • 80 hair metal
Verdict
I think my defensive flexibility will cover many of the low defense minutes and the offensive firepower should be enough with the rebounding to win most games. Turnovers is the wild card. I think I will have a decent regular season record and have a tough playoff.
50-32
Lose 4-2 in fournd 2
2/17/2024 12:27 AM
Finished the write ups. Apologies if they're half-baked, some of it was me not having a ton of time, some of it is most teams in this high cap setting looking variations of pretty nice. I have a better idea for the next draft if the timing works out.

jamminj530 – Wilt, Stockton, Magic, Wes Unseld, Terry Porter, George T Johnson, Kevin Huerter
I have Wilt as 3 or 4 in this league, but it isn’t egregious. After the high turnover start, not crazy about taking both Stockton and Magic though I don’t think there were many second round talents left at that point. The last four picks were OK, though I am especially low on Unseld in this format. The first three picks will set a baseline of competence but I don’t see this team in the playoffs, especially not with the season selections.

robusk – LeBron, Kemp, Claxton, Richaun Holmes, Brandon Clarke, Thad Young, Markkanen
It’s a great draft. I don’t have much to say about it, other than that it’s going to be tough to match up against. Lauri brings an interesting scoring spark, obviously great at everything other than defense and rebounding. I like the use of off-guards who can’t switch onto 1s, but also don’t need to because of LeBron. Contender.

jethroeg – Steph, Bill Russell, Brand, Klay, Marques Johnson, Tracey McGrady, Rasheed Wallace
I’m so-so on this draft. I entertained the idea of taking Russell and drowning out his shooting with other usage, as you seem to be doing, but I wouldn’t have minded if the shooting was a little better – only Steph, Klay, and Marques project as solidly above average shooters in this league. As it is I have this team with a somewhat high floor but not much of a ceiling.

raggedclaws – Giannis, Tyrese Haliburton, Oscar Robertson, Jarrett Allen, JJJ, Porzingis, Okafor
I don’t usually draft this high but felt good about Giannis at 3, I’d have thought about Steph if he fell. Haliburton/Robertson was a strange direction to go at the turn in retrospect, wish I’d paired an SF or big man with Giannis and a guard. In the fourth, I went with Jarrett Allen who I have rated really highly despite the low minutes and poor defense. I thought I’d hit big again but ended up feeling like there were a lot of bigs with similar value, but few guys who bring JJJ’s skill set so I locked him in. Didn’t expect to grab Porzingis but figured there’s no such thing as too many threes, then surrounded him with rebounders like Okafor, Okongwu, and Chriss.
That’s the whole rotation, actually – Oscar plays 1, Giannis/Haliburton the 2, JJJ/Okongwu/Chriss man the 3 and 4 sometimes with Okafor full time 4, and I’ve stacked my ‘worst’ defenders in Porzingis and Allen at the 5. So I don’t think the process was amazing but it turned out a team I’m happy with, it’s so tough to judge teams in such a high cap environment but I expect to be competitive.

Benhoidal – MJ, KAT, Tyson Chandler, Parish, Bobby Portis, Kyle Lowry, Rodrigue Beaubois
Ben makes the interesting decision to move down, despite being gifted LeBron at 2. I think it worked out well for him, I know he was happy with KAT who profiles as a good fit with MJ, and also provides the spacing next to Chandler. Parish is definitely a value in this setting.
I’m a little lower than most on Portis, especially if he’s sharing the floor with KAT, and with few options to switch, but he certainly brings several skills to the 3. Lowry never a bad choice, and well, people seem to like Beaubois. Definitely going to be a contender.

chewy3344 – Shaq, Holiday, Walker Kessler, Montrezl Harrell, Westbrook, Dale Davis, Xavier Tillman
It’s a really nice draft, a lot of people I had on my list. Walker Kessler and Dale Davis are really nice next to Shaq, Trez is a top SF option, and you’ve got most of your guard rotation set as well. Personally I’m not nuts about Russell Westbrook but I like everything else and folks have made it work, it’s a great draft.

m6speed – Jokic, Kyrie, Tatum, Joakim Noah, Buck Williams, Amare Stoudemire, Jarred Vanderbilt
I don’t hate Jokic here, in theory, with the right team around him. I’m mixed on the supporting cast you added, though. Some guys like Noah, Buck, and Vanderbilt make sense, and I don’t hate the Kyrie pick, but I’m less sold on Tatum or Amar’e in particular. There’s upside here but I could see this team missing the playoffs.

berkelon – Dwight, PG13, Kidd, Mourning, SGA, Deandre Ayton, Kenneth Faried
I’m liking the outside-in composition of this squad. They’re going to be really tough. I might quibble with Zo if he went higher but in the 4th? It’s tremendous. Great use of Kidd. Glad this team isn’t in my division.

Samuelyork93 – Mailman, Drummond, Ho Grant, Ben Simmons, Mikal Bridges, Tobi Harris, Steven Adams
I like this team, it doesn’t really move me but is pretty solid. I will say that Ben Simmons shares the Do Not Draft designation along with Draymond in most contexts for me, and he wasn’t an obvious fit given your needs at the time. Some nice role players at the tail end of the draft but no needle movers, I have this team around the middle of the pack.

Midge – Kareem, Bill Walton, Bam Adebayo, Donyell Marshall, Billups, Otto Porter, Jameer Nelson
I probably would have gone AD, Gobert, or Admiral over Kareem here. Walton and Bam are fine, and I like Donyell. Billups, Otto, and Nelson are also fine but maybe more exciting in a lower cap league. I don’t see this team being bad but I only really like Donyell and OPJ where they went. Still, could see this team slipping into the playoffs.

24kpyrite – Anthony Davis, Jimmy Butler, Larry Nance, John Collins, Derrick White, Jonathan Isaac, McAdoo
I really like this team. Lot of value picks. I checked your roster and it seems like you have enough threes. Jonathan Isaac is often on my list near the end of drafts, I don’t often pull the trigger but he brings a lot to the table. Not much to say other than good job, seems like a solid draft.

dBKC – Gobert, Marion, Timelord, AK, Kobe, Kyle Anderson, Terrell Brandon
Love Gobert here, and Marion is a good partner though I’d have thought about a guard. Well, you got guards who do a lot in Kobe and Brandon, and SloMo to a lesser extent. The only thing I could see holding this team back is lack of high volume efficiency, but I wouldn’t be shocked if Spencer went far with these guys.

kammeyer – Larry Bird, Scottie Pippen, Dejounte Murray, JaVale McGee, Chris Andersen, Grant Hill, Patrick Ewing
A little early for Bird here, probably, though Pippen was fine where he went in the second – even if personally I’d go Jimmy Buckets, PG13, Kyrie, or Holiday first. I like the Ewing pick and the Birdman pick, and McGee is good though maybe a little early. Really hard to support Dejounte Murray in the third, if your plan centers around that then you may want to double-check your plan. Not awful but I see this team’s ceiling around the wild card race.

uptowngbv – David Robinson, Dwyane Wade, Bobby Jones, Valanciunas, Poeltl, Charlie Ward, Tyreke Evans
I like the picks a lot. Maybe not how I would have gone in such a high cap league with some of the last picks just given some of the other names on the board, but I have you nailing the first four picks, and filling out the roster nicely. Likely to be a playoff team.

ty84moss – Hakeem, Duncan, Christian Wood, Michael Porter, Al Horford, Delon Wright, Iguodala
I really like this draft. I’m looking for something to take issue with, but I can’t come up with anything worse than Iggy, who is totally fine as a last pick. I would have taken Hakeem here as well, and strongly considered Duncan at that spot in the second. Definite contender for a bye, glad you’re not in my conference.

BenJoker – Durant, Artis Gilmore, Boucher, Zion, Jerry Lucas, Andrew Bynum, Kyle O’Quinn
Yep, this is a good draft. I probably would have tried to fortify guard earlier – looks like you’re giving Calderon a lot of play – but I like the picks, and think Melton and GPII were strong additions. Not much to nitpick here, other than just how ugly the defense will be when Jose and Zion are on the floor together. It’s also trending pretty high in turnovers.

dh555 – Harden, Capela, Ibaka, Mitchell Robinson, Tree Rollins, Walt Frazier, Ja Morant
Harden and Capela is a classic opening, and I like Mitchell Robinson, though I’m not sure Ibaka was the move. I like Tree pretty well too, he doesn’t help with the fouls problem but doesn’t turn it over a ton. I’m not sure you needed to lock down Morant but I guess you were looking to fully match Harden’s usage points with his backup since it’s so low elsewhere. Should be a strong team.

Jhsukow – CP3, Lillard, Mutombo, Gerald Wallace, Kevin Love, Willis Reed, Kevon Looney
Wow, I don’t think I had noticed you paired CP3 with Dame. Then hit guard 2-3 more times. It’s an interesting draft – is Love going to be sharing the backcourt at all with Dame? Could be dangerous when Wallace sits; I’m guessing you were looking to pad rebounds but am not sure about the fit. Nice team though, definitely a playoff contender.

jcred5 – Embiid, Ben Wallace, LaVine, Oladipo, Larry Sanders, Sidney Moncrief, Brandan Wright
A solid opening, though I’m not totally sold on LaVine as a third rounder. Personally I probably wouldn’t have added Moncrief to the backcourt. Really nice draft overall, though. As I hope I showed in this most recent Savage, Big Ben isn’t just for low cap leagues. Could be in contention for a bye.

beloud – DeAndre Jordan, McHale, Eric Bledsoe, Ginobili, Aaron Gordon, David West, Greg Oden
This scans as a really nice draft; Bledsoe and Manu aren’t tops when it comes to efficiency but they’re the exceptions on this team, meanwhile the defense looks solid as well – better at getting stops than stocks. Passing should be OK but definitely not a strength. Probably projects as a playoff team but I don’t see the highest ceiling here.

riftonapple – Kawhi, Barkley, Camby, Evan Mobley, Clyde Drexler, Mike Conley, Kanter
I’m running out of things to say about teams in this high cap setting especially. I think it’s a good draft. I might have gone with someone more dynamic than Camby in the third but can understand the fit. I’m not sold on the fit when it comes to Kanter but if you can protect him he’s nice this late. Should be a good team.

Sephy13 – Rodman, Moses, Vucevic, Penny, Brent Barry, Arvydas Sabonis, CJ McCollum
Not a fan of Rodman in the first in this league especially. No serious quibbles with other picks though I think you could have gotten more value from some of the late spots. I’ve never totally been on the Barry bandwagon but this is a league where you can afford him, and I really do like Penny in higher cap leagues. Have this team in the playoff race.

steelers821 – Luka, Dr J, Draymond, Derrick Favors, Donovan Mitchell, Gafford, Bogut
I’m a big fan of the draft with one glaring exception – I wouldn’t touch Draymond with a ten foot pole. Lot of other directions you could have gone with that pick, like a good big man which would have been helpful – not that I didn’t wait on bigs as well. I’m with you in being a Spida fan, though a little more so in lower cap leagues. Should be a good squad!

PBandJ – Garnett, Whiteside, Domantas Sabonis, Gary Payton, Siakam, Danny Green, Kris Humphries
Some good (KG, Whiteside, Glove) some bad (Sabonis, Danny Green) – I think this is a solid team but has more holes than some of the top drafts. Danny Green has quicky made his way to my rarely drafted list. Typically unable to cover PGs, a poor rebounder and passer, and a low usage player, he just doesn’t do enough for me to justify over other players most of the time. Anyways I could see this team being around the playoff race.
2/17/2024 12:59 AM
Wow thanks and nice work ragged. Even if you couldn’t put a lot of time into it, you still did really well giving everyone a short eval. It makes reading more than a handful easy.
2/17/2024 4:12 AM
I know evals are a pain. I appreciate you working on them. I agree spida is probably better for low cap leagues but at the 120th pick he’s good anywhere.

everyone always loves to hate on draymond. When im at this point in the draft and I see I need more 3s, assists, and defense the choice for me seems obvious. His tov is obviously a bit to high but he’s a good drebounder and I just think he makes up for being a negative in the possession battle by being a huge plus in other areas.
2/17/2024 9:18 AM
Appreciate the info, ben and ragged. After game one it seems we cannot get anywhere close to enough rebs... But we'll see.
2/17/2024 10:25 AM
Great job, RC. I first thought Danny Green might have caught a stray and then you put two more in the chest
2/17/2024 1:47 PM
Yeah, I knda screwed up with Kanter. I wasn't paying attention and had in my head a $50 million cap.

riftonapple – Kawhi, Barkley, Camby, Evan Mobley, Clyde Drexler, Mike Conley, Kanter
I’m running out of things to say about teams in this high cap setting especially. I think it’s a good draft. I might have gone with someone more dynamic than Camby in the third but can understand the fit. I’m not sold on the fit when it comes to Kanter but if you can protect him he’s nice this late. Should be a good team.
2/17/2024 2:41 PM
I only hate Danny Green because I've let him in too close in the past. My numbers like him, and I took him a few savages ago fairly high. But I'm not convinced he passes the eye test, either in high cap or low cap leagues.

Pros: shoot 3s and FTs well, albeit low volume; low turnovers, albeit low volume; good defense
Cons: doesn't rebound, doesn't pass, doesn't defend PGs, and maybe it's just the way I draft but I find the SG/SF switchability useless about 90% of the time. He's also kind of expensive even though he doesn't play massive minutes.

All told the sixth is a perfectly fine place to take him and I'll stop hating on him publicly from now on. But I wanted to get one more hit in.

Speaking of switchability (and catching strays) I had to ding your backcourt, Josh, for putting Gerald Wallace back there with Lillard. I see you're letting Wallace switch onto PGs for Dame, which is fair enough, but that's a big drop for Wallace from 100 to 78. I do recognize that it's nice having Love and Wallace switch more seamlessly, and you've got Looney alongside Wallace some as well. Still doesn't help when you're playing against Steph or LeBron.

I say this as the idiot who was putting Wallace out next to Beal for too many minutes last ODL.
2/17/2024 5:25 PM
Great stuff rc thanks for all the work you put into it. I am having Clarke defend PGs, you think 96% is too big of a drop? I guess I usually don’t mind that. I also have Holmes defending SGs, my plan was to be able to get Kemp and Lebron on the best two guys.

BenJoker’s team looks a lot like the one I used in the 45M cap one last season.

I think I liked jcred’s draft more than you and beloud’s less than you.

There are several teams that surprised me by which seasons they used, including some big time coaches.

I really like the Kawhi Drexler Conley backcourt.

Like Ty’s team a lot.

Ben always somehow gets the easiest division when he randomizes it.

I thought we were going to use the Savage method for divisions this go round?
2/17/2024 5:41 PM
How does Ben have the easiest division when he has the best team in the league in it? lol.
2/17/2024 11:46 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
BOWIS2024 Commentary/scoresheet Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.