Teammate Chain Twist: DRAFT Thread Topic

Posted by slim senior on 2/19/2024 9:41:00 PM (view original):
I agree with Snuffy. You've done a great job with this draft, Josh. Especially so, because this was a brand new concept for a draft. I know it was a lot of work and I greatly appreciate your efforts. I think that is probably true for everyone else, as well.
It's been a great group to do this with, and I appreciate the feedback. You're all very sharp and you're helping me hone this theme into something better than the original concept.
2/19/2024 9:48 PM

1918 Herman Bronkie

St. Louis Cardinals

Position: 3B
Salary: $298K

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/STL/1918.shtml

Great Job Josh !
Current Payroll: $99,981,757
2/19/2024 10:06 PM
Guys,
I didn't want to go over the cap. There was no advantage to selecting a high priced player that I knew I needed to drop. As soon as I drafted Cochrane, I realized I didn't have enough money to field a team, so I adjusted. It ended up being the same as the your draft only with one less option. I don't recommend it for anyone. The irony is, when I drafted from the 1930 A's, I could have had Wally Schang, who would have fit the budget perfectly, instead of Cochrane.
You don't think Rader is better than Cochrane, do you?
I'm sorry I went over.
Rob
2/19/2024 10:15 PM
Posted by rmarksduke on 2/19/2024 10:15:00 PM (view original):
Guys,
I didn't want to go over the cap. There was no advantage to selecting a high priced player that I knew I needed to drop. As soon as I drafted Cochrane, I realized I didn't have enough money to field a team, so I adjusted. It ended up being the same as the your draft only with one less option. I don't recommend it for anyone. The irony is, when I drafted from the 1930 A's, I could have had Wally Schang, who would have fit the budget perfectly, instead of Cochrane.
You don't think Rader is better than Cochrane, do you?
I'm sorry I went over.
Rob
No problem, Rob.
2/19/2024 10:30 PM
1914 Bob Fisher
Chicago Cubs

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHC/1914.shtml

I am in at $99,935,347.

I am sorry to see this draft end. It's been fun drafting one or two players a day.
2/19/2024 10:58 PM
Posted by slim senior on 2/19/2024 10:58:00 PM (view original):
1914 Bob Fisher
Chicago Cubs

I am in at $99,935,347.

I am sorry to see this draft end. It's been fun drafting one or two players a day.
We’ll run it back in a couple of months for Season 2!
2/20/2024 12:01 AM
Posted by _jwillis on 2/20/2024 12:01:00 AM (view original):
Posted by slim senior on 2/19/2024 10:58:00 PM (view original):
1914 Bob Fisher
Chicago Cubs

I am in at $99,935,347.

We’ll run it back in a couple of months for Season 2!
Sounds good!
2/20/2024 1:20 AM
1916 Fritz Mollwitz
Chicago Cubs Partial
https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHC/1916.shtml

$99,946,031
2/20/2024 8:09 AM
Heinie Zimmerman
1909 Chicago Cubs
https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHC/1909.shtml
$ Salary PA / IP $/ PA or IP
Hitters 49,702,147 5,392 $9,218
Pitchers 50,186,718 1,452 $34,564
2/20/2024 8:45 AM
I will certainly clarify any ambiguity around this case in any future versions of this league, but given that this is the first running of this league, I will simply ask that owners please respect the salary cap and not abuse the “over the cap” mechanism for a strategic edge. This is not its intended purpose.

Perhaps you could institute a cap penalty in the future. For example, if you go over, you lose $2M in cap space. So instead of just getting back below $100M, you have to get your team below $98M. Then there's actually a cost to going over that could hinder your team. That will eliminate the possibility of anyone going over intentionally, just to get a "freebie" $200K player.

I understand it's possible to get into a bind, but unless people are careless or not paying attention during the draft, it shouldn't be hard to stay under. I had like $5M left for my final 8 slots, so I had to go with scrubs first to make sure I didn't get screwed at the end. Sometimes you have to make those sacrifices to stay on track.
2/20/2024 9:02 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/20/2024 9:02:00 AM (view original):
I will certainly clarify any ambiguity around this case in any future versions of this league, but given that this is the first running of this league, I will simply ask that owners please respect the salary cap and not abuse the “over the cap” mechanism for a strategic edge. This is not its intended purpose.

Perhaps you could institute a cap penalty in the future. For example, if you go over, you lose $2M in cap space. So instead of just getting back below $100M, you have to get your team below $98M. Then there's actually a cost to going over that could hinder your team. That will eliminate the possibility of anyone going over intentionally, just to get a "freebie" $200K player.

I understand it's possible to get into a bind, but unless people are careless or not paying attention during the draft, it shouldn't be hard to stay under. I had like $5M left for my final 8 slots, so I had to go with scrubs first to make sure I didn't get screwed at the end. Sometimes you have to make those sacrifices to stay on track.
I think something along these lines makes sense. Ultimately I think we want something that isnt overly punitive so we dont crush an owner in a bind while still being forceful enough to make it unwise to strategically overshoot the cap.
2/20/2024 9:23 AM

Good idea
2/20/2024 9:41 AM
1910 John Kane, Cubs

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHC/1910.shtml

Final salary - $99,946,023

2/20/2024 10:12 AM
Posted by _jwillis on 2/20/2024 9:23:00 AM (view original):

I think something along these lines makes sense. Ultimately I think we want something that isnt overly punitive so we dont crush an owner in a bind while still being forceful enough to make it unwise to strategically overshoot the cap.
Another idea I had--albeit one that would add a little extra commissioner burden--is to keep track of a team's cumulative salary in the spreadsheet as each round passes.

This would help us flag owners who might have lost track of the salary cap before its too late, but also, it would help us know exactly which round an owner goes over the cap. That could be useful because I think the ideal solution in this scenario is that if you go over the cap, you simply forfeit the pick that pushes you over the cap, as well as any subsequent picks. These all just become $200K players. And if that still isn't enough to get you under the cap, then we work our way backwards, replacing one pick at a time with $200K in reverse chronological order.

This approach is pretty punitive, but I think we are keeping track of every team's cumulative salary along the way, it will be relatively easy to ensure that nobody accidentally goes over the cap.
2/20/2024 10:28 AM
I'll send this via sitemail, but here is the league ID: MLB139581

In order to make roster-checking easier for me, please take the following steps before submitting your team:
  • Check your roster against the new spreadsheet tab here, which is organized by owner: ROSTERS.
  • Make sure that the players on your team match the players, seasons, and teams that you picked.
  • Make sure that the versions you are drafting are either FULL or PARTIAL seasons. Do NOT draft COMBINED seasons.
    • I am allowing two exceptions to this rule, simply because I missed the fact that these were combined seasons when the players were drafted, and by the time I noticed too many subsequent picks had elapsed. Neither of these players has a valid FULL or PARTIAL season in WIS for the years they were drafted, making them difficult to substitute without disrupting the chain entirely. Since these are both largely inconsequential players, I made the judgment that it was not worth backtracking to re-pick them:
      • Ledfoot: Juan Padilla, 2004 New York Yankees
      • Jtpsops: Dan Schatzeder, 1988 Minnesota Twins
  • If you went over the cap and needed to make a replacement player substitution (calhoop and rmarksduke), please post the name of your $200K replacement player in this thread.
  • Please post the ballpark you intend to use and the player you drafted who called this ballpark home during the season you picked.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Once all teams are submitted and rosters are confirmed, I will proceed with drafting the remaining players for Jfranco77.
2/20/2024 12:35 PM
◂ Prev 1...51|52|53|54|55 Next ▸
Teammate Chain Twist: DRAFT Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.