Teammate Chain Twist: DRAFT Thread Topic

**DRAFT SPREADSHEET (BOOKMARK THIS):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wrIiLuKBKOuEmh9eyU6B5_CRk7QXnKUQ7WwtkKEN7NM/edit#gid=0

DRAFT ORDER:

1 dvorr80
2 Jtpsops
3 calhoop
4 rmarksduke
5 eman7400
6 snuffy45
7 whalers10
8 mllama54
9 strubrosII
10 _jwillis
11 Ribbentrop
12 slim senior
13 ledfoot
14 chewy3344
15 jfranco77
16 ronthegenius

(Reversed in even rounds)

ROUND 25

ROUND 24

ROUND 23

ROUND 22

ROUND 21

ROUND 20

ROUND 19 PICKS

ROUND 18 PICKS

ROUND 17 PICKS

ROUND 16 PICKS

ROUND 15 PICKS

ROUND 14 PICKS

ROUND 13 PICKS

ROUND 12 PICKS

ROUND 11 PICKS

ROUND 10 PICKS

ROUND 9 PICKS

ROUND 8 PICKS

ROUND 7 PICKS

ROUND 6 PICKS:

ROUND 5 PICKS:

ROUND 4 PICKS:

ROUND 3 PICKS:

ROUND 2 PICKS:

ROUND 1 PICKS:

Welcome to the inaugural season of the Teammate Chain Twist Draft! I’m very excited to have 15 great owners signed up to give this a try.

Owner List (not draft order):

(1) _jwillis - CONFIRMED

(2) ronthegenius - CONFIRMED

(3) Ribbentrop - CONFIRMED

(4) whalers10 - CONFIRMED

(5) calhoop - CONFIRMED

(6) jfranco77 - CONFIRMED

(7) dvorr80 - CONFIRMED

(8) Jtpsops - CONFIRMED

(9) chewy3344 - CONFIRMED

(10) slim senior - CONFIRMED

(11) rmarksduke - CONFIRMED

(12) eman7400 - CONFIRMED

(13) mllama54 - CONFIRMED

(14) snuffy45 - CONFIRMED

(15) strubrosll - CONFIRMED

(16) ledfoot - CONFIRMED

I’ve sitemailed all of you, so hopefully you’ve found your way to this post. Once you’re here, please check in by posting in the thread below. Once everyone is confirmed as participating, the draft will begin.

League Details

• Salary cap: $100M

• No clones

• No AAA

• No waiver wire

• No trades

• No DH

• No injuries

• Must use a ballpark that one of your teams played in

Draft Logistics

Before the draft begins, I will use the Random.org sequence generator to reshuffle the owner’s list into a draft order. Odd numbered rounds (1, 3, 5, etc) will draft in order from 1 to 16. Even numbered rounds (2, 4, 6, etc) will draft in reverse order from 16 to 1.

(I plan to generate the draft order myself for the sake of efficiency, but if any owner prefers that we get an independent party to generate the draft order, I will honor this request. Just make it known.)

Once the draft order is established, each round will proceed as follows:

At the start of each round, I will use the Random Page tool at Baseball-Reference (https://www.baseball-reference.com/rand.fcgi) to generate a random page. I will do this repeatedly as needed until the result is a page that features a specific team in a specific year. Again, I plan to do this myself for efficiency, but I’m happy to delegate this to an independent party if anyone objects to this.

Once a team page is returned, this team will become the starting point for that round’s teammate twist chain, so long as it has not already been used earlier in the draft. (Note that only teams with valid representation in the WIS database will be considered, so pages for Negro League teams or teams that precede 1885 will be rejected.)

Each time an owner twists a player to different team season, that team represents the choices available to the next owner. The next owner will select a different player from this team and twist him to any other season of his career. This will continue until the final pick of the round.

Draft Rules

The owner with the first pick of the round will then select a player from that team’s Baseball-Reference stats page and twist him to any other year of his career. Here is a sample page for the 1967 New York Mets: https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYM/1967.shtml

Remember that any player who made an appearance for the team that year is eligible regardless of whether they have standing for that season in the WIS database. So you can twist players even if they did not log enough PAs or IPs to qualify for WIS in that particular year. However, you can only twist players to years where they qualify for the WIS database, since you will be drafting them for your team in that season.

Remember also that you MUST twist the player you select to a different year of his career–you may not use him in the year you are dealt. The one exception to this rule is if the player played on more than one team during the same season. In this case, you can twist this player to a different team within the same season.

However, if you select a player who played for multiple teams during the same season, you can only use the stats this player accrued while on the team you selected. No COMBINED seasons will be allowed–only FULL or PARTIAL seasons.

Lastly, remember that in this draft, PLAYERS and TEAMS are EXCLUSIVE. This means that once any version of a player has been taken, no other version of him can be selected. And once any player has been drafted from a specific team season, no other players can be drafted from that team during that season. (This includes the random team that starts each round is considered to be off-the-board for the remainder of the draft. No player can be twisted back to these teams.)

Draft Etiquette

Before the draft begins, I will post a link to the spreadsheet where I will be tracking all of our picks. I will also try to keep these picks up to date in the forum thread, but please bookmark the spreadsheet for your own future reference.

When it is your turn to pick, please make things easy for the owner after you by including the following details in your post:

• Name of player you picked

• Version (season and team)

• The Baseball-Reference URL for that team’s stats page

For example:

Ken Boyer, 1959 StL

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/STL/1959.shtml

Following this etiquette will make it quicker and easier for the owner who comes after you to find the team they will be using to twist.

(If you are able, please also include this information in a sitemail message to the owner who comes after you. I understand this isn’t always possible, but it does make the draft move more quickly.)

When you check in, I will also ask that you sitemail me an email address where I can reach you if necessary. I will only do this if you are not able to pick in a timely manner and seem unresponsive to sitemail. If you are unwilling to share your email address, I won’t insist on it, but because sitemail has been somewhat unreliable lately, I do think this could help the draft run more smoothly.

IMPORTANT: Please do not wait until the draft is over to build your team. Start building it pick by pick in the draft center as we draft. This will be very helpful because it will allow you to keep track of your team’s budget as the draft progresses.

Due to the nature of this draft, you won’t have any recourse to go back and choose less expensive versions of your players if you find yourself over the cap at the end. If your roster is over the cap at the end of the draft, I will insist that you modify your roster with $200K players to get under the cap in the fewest moves possible. So if you end the draft $3M over the cap and you have a relief ace who costs $3.2M, surprise, your closer is now a $200K mop. Nobody wants that.

Draft Timeline

In deference to rmarksduke, I would like us to make every effort to finish this draft by February 22nd, since that was a contingency for his participation. This means that we have 28 days to get through 25 rounds.

This means that we should strive to get through at least one round of the draft each day. I think one pick per day from each owner is a reasonable expectation from a 16-team league.

Because of the nature of this draft, I’m not going to be assigning specific time slots, since “missing” your time slot isn’t a very meaningful notion here. I’m just going to ask that everyone try to make their picks promptly when they are able, while also understanding that people have lives, and that the draft will move faster at some points and slower at others.

If we seem to be falling dangerously behind the one-round-per-day pace, we can revisit this approach and look for ways to expedite things.

Let me know if you have any questions. Looking forward to getting started tomorrow if possible!

jwillis

2/20/2024 12:06 PM (edited)
In.
1/25/2024 11:31 PM
I have no problem with you randomizing the draft. If you get the first or last pick, can we get someone else to randomize the pick for you? I didn't realize we would pick a new starting team every round. I guess the last team won't have worry about the talent they are leaving for the next team.
1/25/2024 11:41 PM (edited)
Confirmed
1/25/2024 11:44 PM
I’m in
1/25/2024 11:44 PM
Confirmed
1/25/2024 11:46 PM
Posted by rmarksduke on 1/25/2024 11:41:00 PM (view original):
I have no problem with you randomizing the draft. If you get the first or last pick, can we get someone else to randomize the pick for you? I didn't realize we would pick a new starting team every round. I guess the last team won't have worry about the talent they are leaving for the next team.
Yes, absolutely. If I end up with either of the bookend picks, I will ask another owner to generate the random team that starts each round.

The rationale for starting each round with a new team was that this was the only fair way to make a 'snake' draft work, since otherwise the team with the last pick in one round could essentially do a 'set-spike' by teeing themselves up.

The alternative was to not employ a snake draft, but this has other problems, as the same owners consistently pick earlier in each round, and the cards are always being "dealt" in the same direction. This way, the ordering is more balanced, and each team has a chance to give as good as they get by "dealing" in both directions.

I will concede that the last team in each round won't have to worry about setting the next owner up with great options, but I think this is still the best overall approach.
1/26/2024 12:17 AM
Confirmed
1/26/2024 12:45 AM
Confirmed
1/26/2024 1:12 AM
Confirmed
1/26/2024 5:17 AM
Confirmed
1/26/2024 7:35 AM
Confirm
1/26/2024 7:50 AM
Confirmed
1/26/2024 7:55 AM
Confirmed.
1/26/2024 9:08 AM
Confirmed
1/26/2024 9:17 AM
1|2|3...55 Next ▸
Teammate Chain Twist: DRAFT Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.