Trail's Team Evaluator 2.3 Topic

Hello fellow HDers!

I am beyond excited to announce the latest version of my automated HD analysis tool, the Team Evaluator 2.3!

IMPORTANT NOTE: When using this sheet, you may be required to manually allow Google to pull data from the web via a yellow pop-up that's only accessible on desktop in browser. If you're using this on mobile or tablet, you may need to first approve permissions on desktop before then returning to your mobile device.

With the release of 2.0, you get the following from the effort required to select your World and Team from a drop-down menu:
  • Overall team ratings based on a formula that weights ability across all key categories of the game
  • Individual category ratings (perimeter defense, post offense, rebounding, etc) for both the starting and backup lineups
  • Quick metrics to help you understand your opponent's playing style, such as tempo, turnover rate, 3-point attempt %, etc.
  • A quick snapshot of your opponent's top scorers and recommended double teams (assuming non-press defense)
  • A 'Defensive Matchups' section to determine which players to target and avoid (assuming a non-zone defense)
  • Recommended +/- and tempo settings
  • 'Trail's Tips' recommendation section that provides new coaches with some game-planning thought starters.
  • Detailed player-by-player ratings across each key skill, as well as imported player stats with advanced efficiency metrics
  • NOTE: You must update the lineup setting in the top right section of the Analysis Center if you would like to set your lineup manually or analyze a team during the pre-season.
Release Notes
  • Added a 'Defensive Matchups' section (2.0)
  • Improved 'Trail's Tips' (2.1)
  • Ability to adjust offensive/defensive scheme and lineup manually (2.1)
  • Refine FTs to count as 0.475 of a possession across all formulas (2.1)
  • Recommended +/- and tempo settings (2.1)
  • Select team from a Drop-Down rather than using IDs (2.2)
  • Removed rebounding as a factor in the defensive rating in the 'Defensive Matchups' section (2.2)
  • You can now toggle a "Pre-Szn" setting for determining lineups before any game stats are available - if you don't do this or set the lineup manually, the sheet will not work. (2.3)
  • Minor improvements to player skill calculations including toning down overall ratings for defensive bigs (2.3.2)
  • Added conditional formatting to skills/ratings sections to make it easier to visually assess teams (2.3.2)
  • Added 2p% and 3p% for/against in the game-planning section (2.3.2)
There is a more detailed READ ME in the document, but I encourage anyone interested to create a copy of the linked document and start playing around with it themselves.

My aim is to continue to iterate on that tool based on the community's suggestions/requests, so please don't hold back any questions, recommendations, or bugs.

Thank you!
-Tyler
4/11/2024 12:26 PM (edited)
Thank you!!
3/31/2023 10:54 AM
Shoutout to berch44 for pointing out that in certain scenarios, 6 players were being identified as starters. This issue has been patched and should not happen going forward, but please continue flagging bugs like this either here or via direct message. In the future, I'll be adding the ability to manually override these definitions and set whatever starting/bench lineup you desire.

Thank you!

EDIT: Another small update that fixed a bug in the logic for the 'trail's tips' section.

EDIT 2.0: It turns out I didn't actually roll over the first patch described above to the correct sheet. It's now live though.
3/31/2023 3:54 PM (edited)
This is super cool! Thanks for making it and sharing it.

What should I look at to give me an idea of the relative depth/stamina advantage/disadvantage?
3/31/2023 5:52 PM
Loooooove it. Incorporating game stats and using that to ID 4 players you know are starting and 2 you know are on the bench is so clutch and something I didn’t see coming.
3/31/2023 10:26 PM
Alright… the tips are a wildly cool feature… a million thumbs up
3/31/2023 10:29 PM
pretty neat overall, still kinda just starting to take a look - is it possible the blk% are flipped for offense and defense for both teams?

also, curious about the 47.5% on FT for TS%, you just feel like its better or ?

is the defense based on what is played or iq only?

PPP tip says 45% but uses 46%
4/1/2023 1:38 AM (edited)
thanks for the all feedback guys!

bpiel - i’d be comparing starter/bench ratings and stamina to determine who will have the advantage in a fast-paced game. if you have a weaker starting lineup but stronger bench and better stamina overall, that might be a good reason to go fast paced imo.

z - the idea is to give you a snapshot for the opponent’s top shooters. as you can see if you scroll right, the sheet identifies all starters and bench players. i just only show the top scorers you might want to double team or gameplan for.

gil - i think BLK is correct? i did initially have it swapped but your block % vs opponents should be under defense right?

re: TS and PPP, thanks for calling these out. i’ve used the formulas for so long that i can’t remember where i got them or why i seem to have modified. i do see some places online where 0.475 is used for TS. i think at the least, it’d make sense to align the two definitions given they’re both about points per possession (and shooting possession). do you have an opinion on it gil?
4/1/2023 12:58 PM
i think i get where you are coming from. perhaps i am just conditioned by the way HD does it on the stats page, where its your stats, opponent's stats. i get where you look at something like, opposing team fouls, OREB, turnovers, BLK, as being stats of your defense - they are sort of more that, than your offense's stats. but OREB, turnovers, fouls, of the opposing team, definitely take into account stuff happening on both ends of the court. so i just kinda translated that 'offense/defense' to 'my team / theirs', and blk was the only outlier there. but i think i can see it your way, too. opponent stats is a bit misleading itself because its all your opponent stats when facing you, only (i believe), with opponent's stats when facing anyone, down in their section. i guess i'd struggle to label that clearly myself?

TS, i suppose the main thing is that is sort of an already defined term, where 0.44 is, i believe, the standard definition (never seen .475 myself but i believe you that its out there! i googled for it yesterday, lazily, didn't find it - i suspect there's a good reason someone somewhere might use it though?). i guess i would generally expect that anything labelled TS / TSP would be following that 0.44 number unless otherwise indicated, but, i could be wrong in that assumption. i have definitely myself tweaked the 0.44 when i've calculated my team's offensive efficiency, as foul drawn are definitely not accounted for value wise in TSP (it is not really intended to though i suppose). i usually would do that in a column not labelled TSP though, even for myself. perhaps .475 is an updated version of the .44 based on more modern stats, or something? anyway mostly was curious. its prettty nit-picky, really just figured while i was looking, i'd mention it.

pretty cool tool overall! nice job
4/1/2023 2:51 PM
Posted by gillispie on 4/1/2023 2:52:00 PM (view original):
i think i get where you are coming from. perhaps i am just conditioned by the way HD does it on the stats page, where its your stats, opponent's stats. i get where you look at something like, opposing team fouls, OREB, turnovers, BLK, as being stats of your defense - they are sort of more that, than your offense's stats. but OREB, turnovers, fouls, of the opposing team, definitely take into account stuff happening on both ends of the court. so i just kinda translated that 'offense/defense' to 'my team / theirs', and blk was the only outlier there. but i think i can see it your way, too. opponent stats is a bit misleading itself because its all your opponent stats when facing you, only (i believe), with opponent's stats when facing anyone, down in their section. i guess i'd struggle to label that clearly myself?

TS, i suppose the main thing is that is sort of an already defined term, where 0.44 is, i believe, the standard definition (never seen .475 myself but i believe you that its out there! i googled for it yesterday, lazily, didn't find it - i suspect there's a good reason someone somewhere might use it though?). i guess i would generally expect that anything labelled TS / TSP would be following that 0.44 number unless otherwise indicated, but, i could be wrong in that assumption. i have definitely myself tweaked the 0.44 when i've calculated my team's offensive efficiency, as foul drawn are definitely not accounted for value wise in TSP (it is not really intended to though i suppose). i usually would do that in a column not labelled TSP though, even for myself. perhaps .475 is an updated version of the .44 based on more modern stats, or something? anyway mostly was curious. its prettty nit-picky, really just figured while i was looking, i'd mention it.

as always, appreciate the feedback gil! when i release another update, i'm gonna update these to reflect the common definitions of a possession / shooting possession.
4/1/2023 5:47 PM
I've only skimmed it so far but it looks really cool! Thank you so much for sharing!
4/2/2023 12:11 AM
Hey Trail this is awesome thanks so much for creating it! A few suggestions to consider:

I liked how the old tool had a concise game planning section:
Gameplanning
Tempo Slow Down
Offense +/- 0.1
Defense +/- 1.5

It would be cool if there were trail tips on how to better manage your own team

I'd like to get a recommended distribution and/or which matchups to attack.

Maybe I'm just asking you to gameplan for me at this point haha but those are some ideas.

When It says double would that be always and not if leading scorer?
4/2/2023 1:07 PM
Posted by trail on 4/1/2023 5:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie on 4/1/2023 2:52:00 PM (view original):

as always, appreciate the feedback gil! when i release another update, i'm gonna update these to reflect the common definitions of a possession / shooting possession.
Are you guys referring to the formula for a possession? Kenpom uses 0.475
4/2/2023 4:48 PM
haha thanks for the additional feedback and compliments guys!

I've released an updated version (2.1) which can be found HERE and includes defensive matchups and recommended game settings. You can also now set your lineups manually in case an opponent is switching things up towards tourney time.

I've also adjusted the TS% formula to count free throws as 0.44 of a shooting possession, as it's traditionally calculated. However, points per possession (PPP) will use Ken Pom's figure of 0.475.

Next up is making Trail's Tips a little more robust. Please keep the suggestions and ideas coming!

Thanks,
Tyler
4/3/2023 8:01 PM
Posted by trail on 4/3/2023 8:01:00 PM (view original):
haha thanks for the additional feedback and compliments guys!

I've released an updated version (2.1) which can be found HERE and includes defensive matchups and recommended game settings. You can also now set your lineups manually in case an opponent is switching things up towards tourney time.

I've also adjusted the TS% formula to count free throws as 0.44 of a shooting possession, as it's traditionally calculated. However, points per possession (PPP) will use Ken Pom's figure of 0.475.

Next up is making Trail's Tips a little more robust. Please keep the suggestions and ideas coming!

Thanks,
Tyler
I checked my spreadsheet I've been using for years and I have 0.475 for TS% which is what Kenpom uses too.

TS% is basically including the formula for a possession within it. So if you're using 0.475 to calculate a possession then it doesn't make sense to use 0.44 for the calculation for TS%. Its either one or the other. Makes more sense to pick one and be consistent but that's just my 2 cents!
4/4/2023 9:44 AM
1|2|3...7 Next ▸
Trail's Team Evaluator 2.3 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.