Rookie Contracts Free Agent Future PL folded Topic

Rookie Contracts Free Agent Future Progressive League

THE CONCEPT: This is a look at how Baseball (and WIS seasons) may have changed if drafted rookies had had the opportunity to change franchises after their initial 5 season Rookie Contract.

BASIC INFORMATION ABOUT THE RCFAFPL and why you want to join!
A. We will start in 1950 hoping to move to expand from 20 teams to 24 with the 1962 MLB expansion.
B. The unique format allows all owners at least two chances to sign their favorite players.
b1 These opportunities would be as a rookie or pending mandatory free agency on their rookie contract.
C. The 3 Base Players that go with your chosen Ballpark at sign up;
c.1. allow you some identity with players from your franchise you like,
c.2. give you the opportunity to build around your core in the 1st draft,
c.3. help ensure enough PA/IP for a pre-expansion era progressive. (see Behind the Numbers below)
D. Experienced Commissioner. I have been commissioner of 5 different progressives, all of which are still in operation, started two of them, and the longest running is now in season 48. Currently, this would be my third active as Commissioner. And, I am retired now so can give more time to draft boards.

Rookie Free Agent Core Points:
What makes it different:
A. Any player drafted in his rookie season will belong to the drafting team for just 5 MLB seasons.
A.1. A couple of examples: Rookies drafted in 1950 go back in the pool in 55. Drafted in 1953 go back in pool in 1958. R's from 1959 go back in pool in 64.
B. After 5 seasons the rookies are put back in the draft. There is an exception. See B.1.
B.1. In seasons ending in 0 and 5 every team has the opportunity to name one rookie contracted player from the previous season's roster as a long-term Free Agent signee/keeper. This player can be kept five more seasons before he hits Free Agency in the next 0 or 5. Said player cannot be selected again as he would not be under a rookie contract.
B.2. IE Willie Mays. Drafted in 1951 would become a FA in 56, BUT his team opts to make them its only allowed Rookie Contract extension and announce that they will be re-signing Mays, So they will control him from 1956 through 1960, just like any other rookie signed in 1956.
B.3. A rookies, say Curt Flood from 1958, team wants to re-up him to extension would add 5 years to his Rookie contract that ends in 62 and therefor keep him ending in 67, just like any 1st yr rookie drafted in 1963.
C. Undrafted rookies, or rookies who are dropped prior to reaching Free Agency (think Mark Fidrych), are not governed by rookie free-agency contract restrictions.

BEHIND THE NUMBERS
24 Team leagues require 600 MLB players
20 Team leagues require 500 MLB Players
16 Team leagues require 400 MLB Players**
**note that if we go with a 16 team league there will be only one instance of each rookie available for drafting
here are the available players totals for 1950
258 different position players
159 different pitchers
040 Extra BASE Players (2 x 20 = 40)
038 Extra rookie Position players
029 Extra rookie Pitchers
_____
524 which means we will use basically the entire real MLB players list---AUTHENTICITY.
With each following rookie pool the number of players would remain enough to overcome retirements and out-right terribleness.

HERE IS HOW IT WORKS: or what you need to do to join
1. Sign up and select a ballpark
2. You can select 3 Base Players*** from your franchise who are on your 1950 franchise to start your team.
3. Our first draft order will be determined by totaling the career avg. salaries of the selected 3 Base Players.
3. A. The salary total is the average career salary total of the 3 Base Players combined and is used for determining our initial draft order only.
3. B. 1. The lowest career salary total will draft 1st in the initial draft and on up through the highest salary.
3. C. For purposes of figuring the 120 million salary cap we will use the single-season figures.
4. Draft preparation and ultimately draft.
***NOTE: THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT SOME PLAYERS NAMED AS THE 3 BASE PLAYERS FOR A TEAM MAY BE ALSO NAMED AS SUCH ON ANOTHER TEAM USING THE SAME BALLPARK. THESE 1st-yr INSTANCES OF LEAGUE CLONES WOULD EXIST UNTIL the player is CUT, OR RETIREs.

OPTIONAL READING ABOUT SPECIFIC LEAGUE GUIDELINES AND RULES Below sign up
3/25/2023 12:06 PM (edited)

Committed
Fatguyrd ..........Brooklyn
BullMoose
Doctorwoo
Mike Mundt....Philadelphia
Disco_dogs.......Cleveland
jeff4noles.........
powys................Yankees
3/27/2023 5:30 PM (edited)
THE FOLLOWING ARE THE GUIDELINES FOR THE ONSET OF THE LEAGUE. THEY ARE LENGTHY BUT I WANT ALL PROSPECTIVE OWNERS AN OPPORTUNITY TO BE WELL-INFORMED. PLEASE READ THEM BUT FEEL FREE TO SITE MAIL QUESTIONS.

Choosing 1950.
1950 ends in a 0 thus making our Free agent rookies easy to track.
1950 means a limited number of players for MLB dominant MLB franchises enabling competitiveness for all teams (think pre-Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Ford, Gibson, and Koufax).
1950 allows 7 Free agency cycles for rookies before possible expansion allowing owners to fully understand the league's nuisances.
1950 and forward bring in many stars that most baseball enthusiasts would love on their team.
1950 allows the absorption of 2 versions of each rookie, or extra base players, without an over-the-top talant pool before the designed 1962 reduction of draft eligible rookies moving from two each one.

GENERALLY STANDARD RULES;
PLAY TO WIN

Teams: Original goal of league development/startup is 20 teams and moving to expansion with 1962 MLB expansion.
A. Ball Park are chosen at sign-up.
A.1. Limit of two teams in one park to be assigned to opposing leagues.
A.2. Ball Parks are era specific and change automatically when the franchise changes locations. ie: Polo Grounds must become Seals when Giants move to SF in 1958.
B. Ballparks can only be changed in seasons ending in 0 or 5.
B. 1. New owners joining the league can select a different, open, Ballpark their 1st season.
C. Established League Owners wishing to move to a new ballpark must post a claim on the Ballpark the year prior to realignment (therefore in a seasons ending in 4 or 9).
Team Names: anything WIS will allow
League Alignment: randomly assigned in seasons ending in 0 and 5
A. in the event two teams are owned by the same owner or family they will be placed in opposing leagues.
Salary Cap: 120 millon
Keepers: Maximum is 20 (not including IR) per season.
Waiver Wire: None
IR:
A. Allowed
B. Do not count against Keeper limit.
C. Players on IR cannot have WIS stats for the season designated as IR.
D. There is no limit to the number of WIS eligible IR players on your roster.

Player Drafts:
A. Will be worst to first BUT SEE RULES C.1. AND C.2.
A1. Worst to first determined at game 162
B. Min Win rule: must have 35 wins at game 120 and 50 at game 162. (DOES NOT GO INTO EFFECT UNTIL SEASON 3)
B. 1. penality for missing, one of the two is falling 2 draft position. Miss both goals and 3 draft position penalty is assessed.
C. Draft positions exceptions:
C.1. The worst four records will be placed into a weighted lottery for draft position.
C.1.a. Weighted lottery worst team having 4 chances, 2nd worst 3, 3rd worst 2, and 4th worst 1.
C.1.b. After the lottery is held the Min Win penalties, if any, will be applied.
C.2 Playoff teams get the last positions in the draft regardless of record.
C.2.a. as each round of playoffs is completed the team with the better win total selects after the team with the lesser.
C.3. No team may select 1st in more than two consecutive seasons.
C.4. W&L Ties are broken by the previous season's draft. The team with the higher selection in the previous draft gets the lower one in the current draft.

DROP/ADD ROUND.
A. To be scheduled 24 hrs after last draft pick is scheduled.
B. limit one drop add per team.
C. Cannot drop player selected during the current draft
D. First come 1st served.

Trades:
A. Allowed.
B. Picks can be traded up to 3 seasons in advance. (ie. if drafting in 1966 you can trade through 68).
C: No more than 4 million can be added to balance trade.
D. 6 votes are needed to block a trade.
E. Acquiring a clone is not permitted.
DH: To start in both leagues in 1973

Out of position players:
A. are allowed to be used but all positions must be manned by a position eligible player at the beginning of the season.
B. using a player out of position for purpose of losing could result in 3 position drop in following draft.
AAA USAGE:
A. Players will be 6 position and 2 pitchers of WBA designation randomly assigned by WIS.
B. AAA players may be used in games
C. AAA players can be traded
D. AAA players cannot be named as keepers.
Loopholes and rule changes:
A. Can be suggested by any owner but final reconfiguration, if any, is in the hands of commissioner.
A. 1. Generally, rule changes will not take effect until one entire season has come and gone.
3/25/2023 11:37 AM (edited)
Available stadium/franchises

.1950 AVAILABLE TEAMS AND OWNERS, BASE PLAYERS, AND AVERAGE SALARY*
* any player not in WIS careers totals pages will be looked up and player's season(s) added and averaged .
TEAM AND MLF AFFILIATION.............OWNER.......................PLAYERS.................................................... AVG. SALARY TOTAL
Boston Braves Braves Field
Boston Braves Braves Field

Boston Red Sox Fenway Park
Boston Red Sox Fenway Park

Brooklyn Dodgers Ebbets Field............Fatguyrd
Brooklyn Dodgers Ebbets Field

Chicago Cubs Wrigley Field
Chicago Cubs Wrigley Field

Chicago White Sox Comiskey Park
Chicago White Sox Comiskey Park

Cincinnati Reds Crosley Field
Cincinnati Reds Crosley Field

Cleveland Indians Cleveland Stadium............Disco_dogs
Cleveland Indians Cleveland Stadium

Detroit Tigers Briggs Stadium
Detroit Tigers Briggs Stadium

NY Giants Polo Grounds
NY Giants Polo Grounds

NY Yankees Yankee Stadium......Powys
NY Yankees Yankee Stadium

Philadelphia A's Shibe Park
Philadelphia A's Shibe Park

Philadelphia Phillies...................mikemundt
Philadelphia Phillies

Pittsburgh Pirates Forbes Field.........
Pittsburgh Pirates Forbes Field

Stl Browns Sportsman's Park III
Stl Browns Sportsman's Park III

Stl Cardinals Sportsman's Park III
Stl Cardinals Sportsman's Park III

Washington Senators Griffith Stadium
Washington Senators Griffith Stadium .... OWNER HERE,....0F Irv Noren; ss Eddie Yost; p Bob Kuzava = 8,844,188
above Washington is an example and if an owner wants the second Washington franches players may be changed.

remember people. We are averaging ALL seasons played not just those remaining

I will select my team when 10 are in.
3/27/2023 5:29 PM (edited)
mikemundt Philadelphia Phillies
3/24/2023 1:10 AM (edited)
brooklyn to fatguyrd
3/24/2023 1:10 PM
I have a question regarding players on the 1950 roster that would miss time from 1951 through 1955 due to injury,military service,or sent to AAA by their teams.my question is 2 fold regarding core players
1) If a player is rostered through 1950-1954 and misses 1955 but returns in 1956 can I still designate him as a 1955 keeper?
2) If a player plays in 1955 but misses an entire season from 1951 through 1954 thus palyong only 4 seasons is that player put bck into the 1955 draft pool?
3/24/2023 2:05 PM
Cleveland plz
3/24/2023 3:11 PM
Posted by jeff4noles on 3/24/2023 2:05:00 PM (view original):
I have a question regarding players on the 1950 roster that would miss time from 1951 through 1955 due to injury,military service,or sent to AAA by their teams.my question is 2 fold regarding core players
1) If a player is rostered through 1950-1954 and misses 1955 but returns in 1956 can I still designate him as a 1955 keeper?
2) If a player plays in 1955 but misses an entire season from 1951 through 1954 thus palyong only 4 seasons is that player put bck into the 1955 draft pool?
just quick note on this.....A Base (core if you wish) player named as one of your 3 in 1950 (remember they cannot be rookies) is on your roster, or IR if necessary) as long as you keep him. You have him until cut or retires if you want. A Rookie goes into the draft pool automatically after 5 MLB seasons. It doesn't matter how many of those he appears in. ie: If a rookie is drafted as1950 he goes back in the draft pool in 1956, 1951 R's in 1957, etc.
3/25/2023 4:01 AM
ALSO DONT BE DISCOURAGED IF THIS takes a few weeks to fill. REMEMBER, MANY fantasy BASEBALL fans are involved in starting up their 2023 MLB Fantasy teams.
3/25/2023 4:04 AM
Posted by BullMoose on 3/25/2023 4:01:00 AM (view original):
just quick note on this.....A Base (core if you wish) player named as one of your 3 in 1950 (remember they cannot be rookies) is on your roster, or IR if necessary) as long as you keep him. You have him until cut or retires if you want. A Rookie goes into the draft pool automatically after 5 MLB seasons. It doesn't matter how many of those he appears in. ie: If a rookie is drafted as1950 he goes back in the draft pool in 1956, 1951 R's in 1957, etc.
well if a guy is drafted in 1951 his 5th season would be 55.So he would go into the pool in 1955.Why on the 1950 roster are rookies excluded ?I may have to redo my team.
3/25/2023 11:34 AM
Posted by jeff4noles on 3/25/2023 11:34:00 AM (view original):
Posted by BullMoose on 3/25/2023 4:01:00 AM (view original):
well if a guy is drafted in 1951 his 5th season would be 55.So he would go into the pool in 1955.Why on the 1950 roster are rookies excluded ?I may have to redo my team.
DRAFTED IN 51 HE WOULD GO INTO POOL IN 56
3/25/2023 11:39 AM
giving up my Pittsburgh team as 2 of my core players will be 1950 rookies .I will pick a new team
3/25/2023 12:54 PM
On my initial 3 players im confused on how the salary is figured, Its says Average Total Salary, then the next line says career total salary. How do we figre it? Thanks

For example, 1 of my keepers for Cleve will be Larry Doby, he has 12 years left, totaling $59,128,849 for an Average salary of $4,927,404 which is what the rule says, just wanna make sure.

3. A. The salary total is the average career salary total of the 3 Base Players combined and is used for determining our initial draft order only.
3. B. 1. The lowest career salary total will draft 1st in the initial draft and on up through the highest salary.

Also, would we average our 3 players together?

please list an example of:
Larry Doby
Bob Lemon
Early Wynn

so we can see how its figured, thanks!
3/26/2023 9:19 PM (edited)
Posted by Disco Dogs on 3/26/2023 9:19:00 PM (view original):
On my initial 3 players im confused on how the salary is figured, Its says Average Total Salary, then the next line says career total salary. How do we figre it? Thanks

For example, 1 of my keepers for Cleve will be Larry Doby, he has 12 years left, totaling $59,128,849 for an Average salary of $4,927,404 which is what the rule says, just wanna make sure.

Also, would we average our 3 players together?

please list an example of:
Larry Doby
Bob Lemon
Early Wynn

so we can see how its figured, thanks!
The three not averaged together ... the three individual career salaries will be totaled.

is 5,895,856 for L Doby's career
is 5,744.195 for B. Lemon's Career
is 5,191,025 for E. Wynn's Career
3/27/2023 1:27 AM
123 Next ▸
Rookie Contracts Free Agent Future PL folded Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.