I don't like how injuries work in this game. It seems that only bench players get injured. This does not test the depth of teams. If you don't play your starters too many minutes they can all play in 82 games. When does that ever happen in real life?

I'd like to see....

If a player played 80 or more games he can only get injured for the rest of that game.
If a player played 73-79 games he can get injured every so often for 1-2 games.
If a player played 60-72 games he can go down occasionally for 1-3 games.
If a player played 50-59 games he can go down occasionally for 1-5 games
If a player played 25-49 games he can go down occasionally for 1-15 games.
If a player played 24 or fewer games he can go down occasionally for 1-25 games

This will make teams have to fill in for starters and other important players once in a while, like in real life, and test each team's depth. The way it is now basically whoever you draft as your top 7-8 guys can all play every game as long as you don't overuse them with minutes per game.

I'm in a draft league now with no salary cap, so every team has loads of minutes even on their bench. We are 26 games into the season and there has not been any injuries yet.

6/24/2022 9:13 PM
More randomness is the last thing this sim needs.
6/25/2022 5:33 AM
Posted by ashamael on 6/25/2022 5:33:00 AM (view original):
More randomness is the last thing this sim needs.
Agreed
6/25/2022 7:34 AM
So you guys are okay with everybody's starters playing all 82 games?
6/25/2022 8:46 AM
Posted by savoybg on 6/25/2022 8:46:00 AM (view original):
So you guys are okay with everybody's starters playing all 82 games?
As long as the total minutes make sense, yes. It's the same in the mlb sim (PA are what matters for position players, not how many games they played).
6/25/2022 10:00 AM
Then the MLB sim is wrong too. Teams should have their depth tested like they do in real life.
6/26/2022 10:26 AM
the short minutes guys are exceeding their projections by larger %s

and yeah F---! more randomness - the engine gears are already as greasy as a whore's undercarriage on a Saturday night
6/26/2022 1:36 PM
This isn't real life. It's a sim. You're not buying players, you're buying stats. The reason players don't get injured is because by playing them the average of their RL total minutes divided by 82, they're always on pace to reach the exact minutes you paid for. Pretty simple.

And BTW you can do it your way and the SIM will oblige. Get Magic Johnson's 80-81 season, where he played 37 games and averaged 37 minutes a game. Sim will recommend you play him 17 minutes a game. But go ahead and play him 37. Go ahead. He'll get injured right away and stay injured most of the year ... just like in real life. But then you can have your teams depth tested ... just like in real life. I wouldn't recommend it. But it will give you the result you desire.
6/26/2022 2:57 PM
Posted by Kona1 on 6/26/2022 2:57:00 PM (view original):
This isn't real life. It's a sim. You're not buying players, you're buying stats. The reason players don't get injured is because by playing them the average of their RL total minutes divided by 82, they're always on pace to reach the exact minutes you paid for. Pretty simple.

And BTW you can do it your way and the SIM will oblige. Get Magic Johnson's 80-81 season, where he played 37 games and averaged 37 minutes a game. Sim will recommend you play him 17 minutes a game. But go ahead and play him 37. Go ahead. He'll get injured right away and stay injured most of the year ... just like in real life. But then you can have your teams depth tested ... just like in real life. I wouldn't recommend it. But it will give you the result you desire.
That's not the result I desire. And besides, this sim will make the 37 game Magic less than 100% very quickly. I want guys who played like 70 games to have to miss one or two games once in a while, like in real life. I don't want 81 Magic to be a 17 minute a game bench player, which is totally unrealistic. I want him to be able to play as a starter playing like 36 minutes per game without getting fatigued, but for him to have a strong chance of being injured and missing significant numbers of games when he is injured.

In Diamond Mind Baseball any player can get injured. If they were iron men like Ripken or Gehrig, the injury will only be for the rest of the current game. But a guy who played 141 games can have to miss 3 games or 5 games every once in a while. And pitchers that were not iron men can miss 8, 12, 15, games or more with an injury, like they do in real life.

As far as this game goes I think it's ludicrous for every starter to always be available for all 82 games. Injuries should be able to occur on any player who played less than 80 games. Guys who played like 75-79 games would never be injured for more than one game. The way this is set up now essentially whoever drafted the best team should always have the league's best regular season record, and also win the championship a large portion of the time.

Teams should draft 14 or 15 players with only 12 at a time being active. If someone gets hurt you deactivate him and activate a replacement from your "taxi squad," just like they do in real life in every sport.
6/26/2022 4:48 PM (edited)
Posted by Kona1 on 6/26/2022 2:57:00 PM (view original):

I'm not in favor of "reaching the exact minutes you paid for" either. If a real life coach decides that Player X is a backup and will only play 12 minutes a game, that should not limit that player to 12 minutes a game here. Maybe as a coach here I disagree with the real life coach's assessment of that player and I want him to start and play 32 minutes a game. The guy is not gonna get fatigued. He likely played at least that many minutes per game in college where it's just a 40 minute game.

As it happens what I'd like to see would hurt me in my current league, where I have the best team after 30 games.

https://www.whatifsports.com/nba-l/manage.asp?teamid=588556

If nobody important is ever gonna be injured, it's better for me. But it's very unrealistic.

BTW, this is my first league other than an Open League I tried when I knew nothing about clones and all of that crap. It's a draft league with only players who played in the 1970s. No duplicate players in the league.
6/26/2022 4:47 PM

"I'm not in favor of "reaching the exact minutes you paid for" either. If a real life coach decides that Player X is a backup and will only play 12 minutes a game, that should not limit that player to 12 minutes a game here. "

excepting that part of the salary valuation equation for that player you are drafting is his minutes' availability - that limit is baked into how much he costs when you draft him

to take Kona's point further this is not even a basketball simulation really - in as much as it is a game of skill it is a market economics simulation especially when it comes to drafting your squad - understanding the actual sim value of the stats (including minutes) is job 1 when you draft
6/26/2022 5:03 PM
"I want guys who played like 70 games to have to miss one or two games once in a while, like in real life. I don't want 81 Magic to be a 17 minute a game bench player, which is totally unrealistic."

But 80-81 Magic DIDN'T play 70 games. He played 37. How are you missing that point? Nothing is preventing you from playing him 37 minutes a game. And if you do he WILL get injured to the tune of missing roughly 45 games. No matter how you play it, if you buy 1371 minutes, you'll get 1371 minutes. Again, it's a SIM, which factors total minutes played into the salary. It is completely absurd to think a 3.5 million dollar all-star should be able to play 70 games for 37 minutes a game with the only contingency being a higher propensity to get injured. There is way too much randomness already to add that cluster**** into the equation.

"I'm not in favor of "reaching the exact minutes you paid for"

In my 10 years here, you are the first person to suggest that getting the exact minutes you paid for is a bad idea.

6/26/2022 5:29 PM
"to take Kona's point further this is not even a basketball simulation really - in as much as it is a game of skill it is a market economics simulation especially when it comes to drafting your squad - understanding the actual sim value of the stats (including minutes) is job 1 when you draft"

Exactly
6/26/2022 5:32 PM
Posted by Kona1 on 6/26/2022 5:29:00 PM (view original):
"I want guys who played like 70 games to have to miss one or two games once in a while, like in real life. I don't want 81 Magic to be a 17 minute a game bench player, which is totally unrealistic."

But 80-81 Magic DIDN'T play 70 games. He played 37. How are you missing that point? Nothing is preventing you from playing him 37 minutes a game. And if you do he WILL get injured to the tune of missing roughly 45 games. No matter how you play it, if you buy 1371 minutes, you'll get 1371 minutes. Again, it's a SIM, which factors total minutes played into the salary. It is completely absurd to think a 3.5 million dollar all-star should be able to play 70 games for 37 minutes a game with the only contingency being a higher propensity to get injured. There is way too much randomness already to add that cluster**** into the equation.

"I'm not in favor of "reaching the exact minutes you paid for"

In my 10 years here, you are the first person to suggest that getting the exact minutes you paid for is a bad idea.

It's tough being a pioneer. The first person who suggest that America abolish slavery probably was laughed at too. I'll bet that whoever first suggested that baseball teams play 3 infielders on the right side against left handed pull hitters was also laughed at. It took baseball like 150 years to figure this out, and now every team does it most of the time.

So you think it's good that a guy who was a bench player in real life and played 1640 minutes should not be able to be a starter and play 2400 minutes?

I actually would prefer if the players that we draft were not based on individual seasons, but based on their peak of their career, like best 5 seasons. I would prefer just one version of each player available, rather than individual seasons. The way that Diamond Mind Baseball has their "All Time Greatest Players" disc. The only reason to use individual seasons would be if you are playing real life teams against each other, but nobody does that here.

That would eliminate flukes like the 1969-70 Spence Haywood season that I am currently using. He's the second best player in our league (I drafted him with the 9th pick) because he dominated the weaker ABA as a rookie. It's kind of absurd that Spencer Haywood is the second best player in a 1970s league because of that one season.

I can see I'm not gonna get anywhere here. If they haven't even fixed the assists problem yet they're not gonna make these other changes.
6/26/2022 6:31 PM
The assist problem is about to be fixed. It’s highly unlikely that they will have more injuries because one person wants more injuries.
6/27/2022 1:59 PM
12345 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.