Schools with no championships in any world Topic

Many seasons ago, I posted a list of the schools that had never won a national championship in any world. I am back in GD after a long absence and wanted to post an updated list.

If you see any errors, please let me know. If you win a title with one of these schools, please post here so the list can be updated.

Because we are almost 200 seasons into some worlds, the opportunities to make GD history are few. Let me encourage coaches who need a new challenge to consider taking over one of these schools and leading them to their first-ever glass football trophy instead of just perpetuating the same powerhouses every season.

A couple observations:
* I doubt the Division I list will change much. Indiana, Purdue, and Wisconsin have all won titles since the last time I posted and the “elite” factor makes it all but impossible for most of the others.
* It is interesting that all 120 schools in Division I-AA have won at least one championship.
* In Divisions II and III, I noticed that some of these schools were consistent last-place finishers, even in all-SIM conferences. I attribute this to two factors—first, being located next door to one of the traditional powers; second, the recruit distribution numbers. Some of these schools are in recruiting “food deserts.” But, somebody recently won a title with North Dakota, so it can be done.
11/2/2022 11:45 AM (edited)
Division 1-A
============
Air Force
Akron
Alabama Birmingham
Arkansas State
Ball State
Boise State
DePaul
Eastern Michigan
Fresno State
Georgia Tech
Hawaii
Idaho
Iowa State
Kent State
Kentucky
Louisiana Tech
Marshall
Miami (OH)
Mississippi State
Montana
Nevada
New Mexico
New Mexico State
NC State
Ohio
Oklahoma State
San Jose State
Southern Mississippi
Texas Tech
Toledo
Troy State
Tulane
Utah
Utah State
Wyoming

Division 1-AA
=============
None

Division 2
==========
Augustana
Chadron State
Minnesota State-Moorhead
Ouachita Baptist
Saginaw Valley State
Southern Connecticut
St. Cloud State
West Alabama

Division 3
==========
Carthage
Colby
DePauw
Dubuque
Earlham
Elmhurst
Franklin
Hanover
Hartwick
Hobart
Husson
Kean
Macalester
Mass. Maritime
McMurry
Mount Ida
Norwich
Pacific Lutheran
Principia
Puget Sound
Springfield
St. John Fisher
UMass-Dartmouth
Wesley
Westminster (Pa.)
1/31/2023 1:46 AM (edited)
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
The DIA list should be used a a list of schools that you can NEVER be fired from.

The 'reverse' list of which schools have won the most should be used to determine who can get fired with just a few mediocre seasons.
10/31/2021 11:48 PM
So, D1A has the smallest number of schools, but the largest pool of schools who have not won a national championship?

I'm thinking eighty-five to ninety percent of the D1A schools who have won a national championship come from the list of elite schools.
11/1/2021 12:56 AM
I didn't want to spend all day on this, so I just defined my search to Rockne, and only to human coaches.
In Rockne, 82 percent of Division IA championships have been won by the 14 "elite" schools.
Just out of curiousity, I added the real-life college football champions from 1950-2022. The 14 "elites" have won 78 percent of the national titles in that span.
School Real Life (1950-) Rockne
Florida St. 3 2
Miami 4.5 16
Nebraska 3.83 1
Texas 3.33 9
Oklahoma 6.5 27
Ohio St. 4.83 15
Notre Dame 3.5 9
Penn St. 2 7
Michigan 0.5 1
Southern Cal 5.5 11
Alabama 10.16 9
Tennessee 2 13
Florida 3 3
LSU 3 16
Elite Total 55.65 139
Boston College 5
Virginia 1
North Carolina 2
Duke 1
Connecticut 3
Rutgers 2
Syracuse 1 5
Marquette 1
Illinois 1
Tulsa 1
Washington 0.5 2
BYU 1 1
UCLA 0.5 1
Arizona 4
Middle Tennessee 1
Michigan St. 2
Maryland 1
Auburn 1.5
Iowa 0.5
Minnesota 0.5
Ole Miss 0.5
Arkansas 0.33
Pittsbiurgh 1
Georgia 1
Clemson 3
Colorado 0.5
Georgia Tech 0.5
Non-Elite Total 15.33 31
Elite Percentage 0.784 0.818
11/1/2021 10:53 AM
Seems like a top-level coach ought to take over Tennessee State.
11/2/2021 10:12 PM
Posted by sirbiff on 11/2/2021 10:12:00 PM (view original):
Seems like a top-level coach ought to take over Tennessee State.
Sorry, when double-checking, I found "early years" SIM-AI-coached championships for both Western Kentrucky and Tennessee State. So, all 120 Division I-AA schools have won at least one GD title.

I am still in the process of double-checking for SIM-coached titles. Will post when the list has been completely updated.
11/4/2021 9:01 AM
Finally finished double checking for SIM championships, so the list should stand as posted, until somebody breaks through with a title for one of these schools.
11/4/2021 10:36 PM
I took Texas Tech to a lvl 5 bowl, you could win a NC there if you worked at it
11/9/2021 10:11 PM
I see a challenge here. WIS really should put out a challenge to all coaches. Whomever win the first championship with any of these teams should get a free 5 pack of GD or something like that.
11/10/2021 7:22 PM
Posted by golfpro71 on 11/10/2021 7:22:00 PM (view original):
I see a challenge here. WIS really should put out a challenge to all coaches. Whomever win the first championship with any of these teams should get a free 5 pack of GD or something like that.
11/11/2021 9:46 AM
I won the first NC at Amherst. I want a retro active 5 pack
12/27/2021 7:14 AM
Posted by Indpnt1 on 10/31/2021 10:27:00 PM (view original):
You ought to do a list of how many championships have been won by the schools who have won at least one. We will see just how unfair the elite system is at that point.
maybe a venn diagram of elites vs schools that are never simAI vs schools coached by the most skilled users.
12/27/2021 10:34 PM
I bet if WIS got rid of the elite recruiting advantage and had floating elites more people would be willing to take those schools on pushing them to win a championship... isn't that the main argument for the playoffs?
12/28/2021 12:06 AM
1234 Next ▸
Schools with no championships in any world Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.