WhatIF I told you... Documentary Topic

[36:00-40:00]
Ben Taylor: “Welcome everyone to a special Patreon only edition of Q&A. We got a lot of questions this time! So many of you submitted great questions via twitter, and I’m going to try to get to them all. Some questions regarding the ongoing finals in all five worlds and some having to do with the second SAVAGE draft which has just started over in the forums. I’m excited to talk about both!

“First question is from @roundmound who asks, ‘Can we go back to the old scoring system? Pexeteretara would have won that way.’

“Hmm, that’s an interesting thought experiment. dBKC just officially eliminated pexetera’s final team and with benhoidal being up 3-0 in World 3, it looks like pexetera will be pushed off the podium by one point. Let’s take a quick look at what the standings would be today under the old point system. I’m pulling it up right now… okay got them. Looks like pexetera would have ended with 306 points. kinoa1 would have 312 with a chance for up to 325. dBKC would have 295 with the chance for 307 if he wins both of his remaining titles to end up with three. benhoidal would have… let me see… 298 with a likely finish at 303. Okay, I think the more interesting question here is if the new scoring format was a good thing. Under the old format, kinoa1 would be the winner whether he won a single league or not. I think for that reason alone, the new scoring format was the right change to make. dBKC could literally win the most leagues in the entire league and finish fourth in the old format. He’s pretty clearly the biggest winner here. kinoa1 and pexetera probably the biggest losers although I still think kinoa1 will win anyways.

“Okay next question. @actualavantgarde asks, ‘Are we sure LeBron James is the obvious first pick? Ben Simmons is going to be available in the 4th and with his new 19-20 season, he’s basically LeBron. Shouldn’t I… shouldn’t the top pick be a big guy like Wilt or Hakeem?’

“Okay, there’s a lot to unpack here. The short answer is yes. I’m sure LeBron is the obvious first pick. Gives you everything you want, nothing you don’t, and is 100% at more positions than anyone in the sim. He’s the guy. I’m more interested in the Ben Simmons part of this question. Last season he was taken at the top of the 5th round which I thought was early given he had only two seasons. Now he has three and his 19-20 season is nice, but I can’t see him going much higher than where he went last season. Passing on LeBron so you can get him seems… ill advised.

“Alright, next question. @memelordsupreme asks, ‘Teams stuck at the end of the draft, say in the #22 range, are clearly worse off than the teams picking ahead of them. What are some ways those teams, specifically at pick 22, can compete?’

“Well, I definitely think the top of the draft gives a bit of an advantage, but I don’t think it’s that uneven. Just look at season 1. No correlation between pick and wins whatsoever. It looks like benhoidal will take 3rd despite having the 24th pick. With the addition of the three banned players, that’s like having the 27th and 28th pick this draft. Someone with the 22nd pick will have the 27th as well and there should be really good players available. Having the 3rd round start at the back end of the draft really evens things out in my opinion. Here are a few guys I would target at 22 if they are available: Artis Gilmore, Magic Johnson, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Julius Erving, and Hakeem Olajuwon. At 27, I would be looking at Moses Malone, John Stockton, DeAndre Jordan, Anthony Davis, Rudy Gobert, or Scottie Pippen. Maybe Rodman there, but only if you get really lucky and get someone like Harden at 22.

“Let’s move along. @JETSmith asks, ‘I’ve been getting bullied a lot at work by two big guys. They always make jokes at my expense and to make matters worse, they are more successful than I am even though I’m better at my job than they are. I’ve tried to ask them nicely to stop, but that only seems to make things worse. What should I do?’

“Wow there’s a lot to unpack on this one too. I’m not so sure you wrote to the right show. Not really sure what this has to do with basketball, although there have been a lot of emotional outbursts lately from some of the GMs. I think I’m going to move to the next question.

@LPGA1180 asks, “Hi Ben, love the show although I don’t really ever understand what you’re saying. Can you help me understand something related to the current SAVAGE draft? How come whenever one of the “Kool Kids” like dh, robusk, assamael, dBKC, tarheel, longtallbrad, benhoidal, or jhsukow say anything everybody always listens to them, but when a certain reasonable and misunderstood owner says anything that person gets called a racist or an impatient *******? Asking for a friend.’

“Wow, we’ve really gone off the rails here. I’m just going to skip this one so we can get back to talking basketball.

“Last question here. @MFBirthdayBoy asks, ‘What happens if kinoa1 wins the whole thing? He’s not participating in SAVAGE II. Does the crown go to 2nd place?’

“Well, I’m not the commissioner, but I think in that case, kinoa1 would still be the king and the next season would be to see who takes the crown. Anyways, we are out of time. Next week I’ll be posting a new video comparing Luka Doncic and DeAndre Ayton so be sure to check that one out!”
8/9/2020 6:20 PM
[40:00-41:30]
Scene opens to the World Wide Sports Complex in Orlando. We zoom in on the biggest of the stadiums, go in through the doors, and enter into one of the TNT studios. Ernie Johnson, Kenny Smith, Shaquille O’Neal, and Charles Barkley are sitting in their studio chairs, ready for their post game show. A very eager Shaquille O’neal is sitting up proudly, a massive grin on his face, ready to report for the camera. Behind them on the screens, is the following chart:
Owner Total Points Chips
1 kinoa1 411 2
2 dBKC 360 1
3 benhoidal 345 1
4 pexetera 344
5 dh555 295
6 mptrey 294
7 tarheel1991 256
8 jpevans31 237
9 jcred5 233
9 robusk 233
11 24kpyrite 224
12 copernicus 223
13 goetz93 217
13 ysw128 217
15 ashamael 215
16 20ks 214
17 longtallbrad 211 1
18 gerryred 208
19 pharrop 206
20 jhsukow 194
21 dskantor 191
22 samuelyork93 179
23 bds9992 160
24 amerk1180 125

Shaquille O’Neal: “Well guys, it’s time to announce our final podium spots and crown our SAVAGE champion. Charles, do you want to do this segment?”

Charles Barkley: “Just get it over with Shaq.”

Shaquille O’Neal: “Third place… benhoidal with 345 points. benhoidal started at the very bottom of the draft and just squeaked onto the podium. Chuck, you wanna tell ‘em who he bumped off?”

Charles Barkley: “Shaq, I’m going to throw this churro at you.”

Shaquille O’Neal: “pexetera, was the lead point getter almost all season, but falls to fourth after choking in the postseason. That’s why it’s important to draft someone with playoff experience and rings in the 1st round. How many of those you got again Chuck?”

Charles Barkley: “This is turrible, you know that my team should’ve won. I think those damn Monstars came back and zapped me again or something.”

Shaquille O’Neal: “Sure. Okay, okay. 2nd place is dBKC with 360 points. It really was his motherf*cking birthday everyday until the very end. Just needed one more birthday cake. And the champion, the SAVAGE KING, is… kinoa1 with 411 points! kinoa1 is the only owner to win more than one championship, or should I say “rings”?! dBKC, benhoidal, and longtallbrad each win a chip as well.”

Kenny Smith: “Let’s hear it for longtallbrad! Finally woke up, just in time to go on a roll!”

Shaquille O’Neal: “Do you guys remember who was on kinoa1’s team? Let me tell you. He had Walt Frazier, Bobby Jones, Kyrie Irving, Samuel Dalembert, Nicholas Batum, Kemba Walker, ‘Shaqtin’ a Fool’ MVP JaVale McGee, Marvin Williams, Bill Bridges, Russell Westbrook, and Amir Johnson. What a team. Wait a second, I feel like I’m forgetting someone. Chuck, who was the MVP of all those teams?”

Charles Barkley: “You just won, because you had the best owner. If I had kinoa1 as my coach I would have won the whole thing too.”

Shaquille O’Neal: “That’s right! It was me! I’m the SAVAGE KING! Rings, Chuck, rings!”

The camera zooms out of the studio, but not before we see Charles launch himself across the desk at Shaq.
8/9/2020 6:26 PM
[41:30-43:00]
The screen goes pitch black. A single spot light appears near the far end of our screen. The camera focuses in and we see dh555 wheeling a cart to mid-court of a large arena. On the cart is a large gold crown, ornate with jewels and surrounded by a pile of crumpled $1 bills. There looks to be about 50 or so bills in total. As he approaches mird-court we see a large podium has been erected, and next to it is a microphone. The spotlight turns off and the next second all the lights in the arena turn on. The stands are full of every single simleague basketball owner, which is to say the arena was almost completely empty. dh555 takes a hold of the microphone and addresses the crowd.

dh555: “Taking third place in the SAVAGE league with 345 points… benhoidal!”

A chorus of boos rains down from the stands. We see benhoidal emerge from a tunnel on the opposite side of the court and jaunt towards the podium. He shakes dh555’s hand then takes his place above the number 3.

dh555: “2nd place in the SAVAGE league with 360 points… dBKC!”

We see dBKC running out of the same tunnel and towards the podium, waving his arms and pumping up the crowd. He takes the microphone from a stunned dh555.

dBKC: “I just gotta say, it’s still my motherf*cking birthdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!” He hands the microphone back to dh555, gives benhoidal a nod, and joins him on the podium.

dh555: “Well, it was his motherf*cking birthday… Now, the moment you have all been waiting for… The winner of the SAVAGE league with 411 points, your SAVAGE KING… kinoa1!”

The camera focuses on the tunnel where dBKC and benhoidal had run out moments before. There is no one there. A few moments pass and the crowd begins to murmur. It starts out quietly, but crescendos quickly into a loud roar. Then, someone comes out of the tunnel, running. The crowd quiets and everyone strains forward in their seats. The runner is cmcafeeky and as he gets to dh555, he passes him a note. dh555 reads the piece of paper, frowns, then raises the microphone to his lips.

dh555: “kinoa1, will not be joining us today. It appears that we need a new SAVAGE KING.”

A smile starts to creep up dh555’s face and he begins to laugh as the screen goes pitch black.
8/9/2020 6:30 PM
Episode is posted in full on first page. Going to take a break from the doc for a while and focus on the Game of Zones stuff. Will come back to the doc at a later time. Will be posting latest Game of Zones episode later tonight.
8/9/2020 6:35 PM
Awesome Ben. Just awesome
8/9/2020 6:45 PM
Thanks kinoa1! Collaboration between dBKC, robusk, and myself.
8/9/2020 6:59 PM
Sorry I guess I should give kudos to robusk and dBKC as well. You guys turned a fun diversion into something epic. Fantastic job!
8/9/2020 7:08 PM
great stuff guys
8/9/2020 9:32 PM
good stuff - my hats off to all of those who created

honored I somehow merit inclusion...

delivering the note reminded me of a cool scene from a favorite film -

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrDQqP4pjBfnUYA7AEPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTE0M2c3dWNzBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQzAwOTVfMQRzZWMDcGl2cw--?p=apocolypse+now+errand+boy&type=we_appfocus515_cr&param1=20190430&param2=a03861d8-e7ab-4fad-a148-f31302e04d5b&param3=weather_%7EUS%7Eappfocus515&param4=propel-Propel_v1-bb9%7EChrome%7Eapocolypse+now+errand+boy%7E9C65B002F9FDD7B9D1EFE59DD38DF07A&hsimp=yhs-pty_weather&hspart=pty&ei=UTF-8&fr=yhs-pty-pty_weather#action=view&id=3&vid=553210e1f407009c915bc3f4d364feb2

Kurtz - (Kona1): "are you an assassin?"
Willard - (cmcafeeky) - "I'm a soldier"
Kurtz (Kona1): "your neither..... your an Errand boy..... sent by grocery clerks...... to collect a bill

while it isn't Game of Thrones -
it is fun to imagine this (or something similar) may have taken place,
before cmcafeeky delivered his note to the arena
8/9/2020 10:02 PM (edited)
Thanks for leading us on all this Ben. It made the whole season really special.
8/9/2020 10:09 PM
◂ Prev 1...20|21|22
WhatIF I told you... Documentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.