Posted by benhoidal on 6/9/2020 6:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 6/9/2020 5:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ashamael on 6/9/2020 4:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by benhoidal on 6/9/2020 4:29:00 PM (view original):
You guys are saying the same thing. Tarheel doesn’t think there should be an advantage for the top spot, robusk does. I tend to agree with robusk, however you guys are forgetting that a division draft is five rounds instead of the six in the ODL so there actually still would be an advantage to going 1st.

I’m fine with discussing it next season if people are passionate about it.
How many repeat champs happen as a result of the division draft?

Probably a non-issue.
Yeah hasn’t been one since we started it. But also hasn’t been one in 33 seasons which really goes to show how f’ing hard this league is. Last season aside, I am not even sure there has been much correlation between division performances and draft slots.
Give me a minute
Hah, I was all prepared to go do it if anyone seemed interested. Glad you are doing it instead.
6/9/2020 6:08 PM
This has ended up more contentious than I meant it to be. And I gotta stop that chain of quote boxes, it's hurting my eyes. To be clear, this is a very minor issue. I'll just say that I love the division draft but think that its ultimate goal should be to create the most even divisions possible (which, to be clear, is an inexact science at best, given how hard it is to predict how good all the teams are). If it were a snake draft it would still be a "benefit" to the owner with the best record--not only because, as Ben mentions, they would pick first in 3 out of 5 rounds, but because picking first guarantees you can pick the team of one of the two owners who consistently finish with the worst records in the league. I just don't think they need the added benefit of picking first in rounds 2 and 4 as well, which would tend to create more uneven divisions.
6/9/2020 6:08 PM
Posted by ashamael on 6/9/2020 4:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by benhoidal on 6/9/2020 4:29:00 PM (view original):
You guys are saying the same thing. Tarheel doesn’t think there should be an advantage for the top spot, robusk does. I tend to agree with robusk, however you guys are forgetting that a division draft is five rounds instead of the six in the ODL so there actually still would be an advantage to going 1st.

I’m fine with discussing it next season if people are passionate about it.
How many repeat champs happen as a result of the division draft?

Probably a non-issue.
You're right that it's not that big an issue, but to just to add to the clarification robusk made before - the draft is among the four division winners from the previous year, which may or may not include the champ (and if it includes the champ, the champ may or may not have the best regular season record and therefore pick first). The better comparison would be to see how well the division winners do the next season as compared to where they drafted in the division draft. I have no idea what that would show; and in any event the sample size would be pretty small.
6/9/2020 6:12 PM
This is the 8th division draft I have run. In the previous 7, here is how each slot has fared in regards to winning their division the next season:

1: 2 division wins (Both times best team in league)
2. 3 division wins
3. 3 division wins
4. 1 division win

Sample is obviously too small, but interesting to keep in eye on it.
6/9/2020 6:20 PM
Posted by pharrop on 6/9/2020 1:35:00 PM (view original):
tau's list is the order of the draft...well reversed but same with 75 division leaders excluded
Yeah I’ve been super busy and didn’t have time to do it right so just told Ben to do that.

I do like the challenge though
6/10/2020 10:38 AM
Posted by tau1624 on 6/10/2020 10:38:00 AM (view original):
Posted by pharrop on 6/9/2020 1:35:00 PM (view original):
tau's list is the order of the draft...well reversed but same with 75 division leaders excluded
Yeah I’ve been super busy and didn’t have time to do it right so just told Ben to do that.

I do like the challenge though
Nah. I’m like Mike & gonna take it personally that you had me ranked so low. I’m gonna make up a narrative about it and stick to it like you’re LaBradford Smith. Gonna get as many wins in the first half as you got the whole season!!
6/10/2020 2:43 PM
◂ Prev 1...19|20|21

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.