Posted by robusk on 6/9/2020 1:14:00 PM (view original):
Actually, if I ever end up in the 4 spot again, I think I would do exactly what tau is doing. If you stick with traditional ranking in the 4 spot, you are going to get hosed. Better to put the middle of your list at the top and drop the people you aren't going to get anyway at the bottom. I was keeping that idea in my back pocket.
You realize that doesn't make any sense, right? lol
6/9/2020 1:55 PM
Posted by pharrop on 6/9/2020 1:35:00 PM (view original):
tau's list is the order of the draft...well reversed but same with 75 division leaders excluded
Ah I see. I get not having time to to the division draft, it's a real pain, but it kinda hosed the rest of us, haha
6/9/2020 1:55 PM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 6/9/2020 1:55:00 PM (view original):
Actually, if I ever end up in the 4 spot again, I think I would do exactly what tau is doing. If you stick with traditional ranking in the 4 spot, you are going to get hosed. Better to put the middle of your list at the top and drop the people you aren't going to get anyway at the bottom. I was keeping that idea in my back pocket.
Yes, I think you are correct.

I am potty training a dog and a person at the same time. I haven't slept in two weeks man. Cut me some slack.

The 4th spot is pretty terrible though.
6/9/2020 1:59 PM
Posted by pharrop on 6/9/2020 1:35:00 PM (view original):
tau's list is the order of the draft...well reversed but same with 75 division leaders excluded
Ah I see. I get not having time to to the division draft, it's a real pain, but it kinda hosed the rest of us, haha
I used to spend a lot of time on it. Now I just spend like 5 minutes. It isn't too bad once you work out a reasonable method.
6/9/2020 2:00 PM
Posted by robusk on 6/9/2020 1:59:00 PM (view original):

I am potty training a dog and a person at the same time. I haven't slept in two weeks man. Cut me some slack.

The real question is - should we be doing the division draft like that where there's such a huge advantage for the 1st spot versus the 4th? Does it really make sense to have the person who won the league next year get the biggest possible advantage for the next season? It seems to me that at the very least the division draft should be a snake draft, not a straight 1-4 order each round. And if anyone's gonna pick 4th under the current system, it should be the reigning champ, IMO.
6/9/2020 2:10 PM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 6/9/2020 2:10:00 PM (view original):

The real question is - should we be doing the division draft like that where there's such a huge advantage for the 1st spot versus the 4th? Does it really make sense to have the person who won the league next year get the biggest possible advantage for the next season? It seems to me that at the very least the division draft should be a snake draft, not a straight 1-4 order each round. And if anyone's gonna pick 4th under the current system, it should be the reigning champ, IMO.
I lot of times the best record doesn't win. Seems like a reasonable reward imo. Punishing them seems absurd.
6/9/2020 2:15 PM
Posted by robusk on 6/9/2020 2:15:00 PM (view original):

I lot of times the best record doesn't win. Seems like a reasonable reward imo. Punishing them seems absurd.
Fair enough - but isn't it a big enough "reward" to get the first pick in a snake draft, versus the first pick in a straight 1-4 draft with the same order every round? The goal of a division draft should be for the divisions to be as equal as possible. Put it this way - the person really getting punished in the current system is whoever gets the 4th pick in the draft. Why does someone who won their division the prior year deserve to be "punished" by being put at such a disadvantage compared to the rest of the league? And it's just as bad for the other 5 people who get stuck there.
6/9/2020 2:40 PM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 6/9/2020 2:40:00 PM (view original):

Fair enough - but isn't it a big enough "reward" to get the first pick in a snake draft, versus the first pick in a straight 1-4 draft with the same order every round? The goal of a division draft should be for the divisions to be as equal as possible. Put it this way - the person really getting punished in the current system is whoever gets the 4th pick in the draft. Why does someone who won their division the prior year deserve to be "punished" by being put at such a disadvantage compared to the rest of the league? And it's just as bad for the other 5 people who get stuck there.
If it was that big of an advantage, why do so many people pick closer to 24? I would argue there is not advantage to 1 versus 4 in a snake. I think some people don't like it and have opted out to the next highest record which is perfectly reasonable.

Despite having been on the crappy end of the division draft a handful of times, I think it is one of the coolest features of both ODL and DH52.
6/9/2020 2:48 PM
Posted by robusk on 6/9/2020 2:48:00 PM (view original):

If it was that big of an advantage, why do so many people pick closer to 24? I would argue there is not advantage to 1 versus 4 in a snake. I think some people don't like it and have opted out to the next highest record which is perfectly reasonable.

Despite having been on the crappy end of the division draft a handful of times, I think it is one of the coolest features of both ODL and DH52.
Now I'm not sure quite what you mean. People choose closer to 24 in the actual (player) draft because it IS a snake draft. What I'm saying is that the DIVISION draft should go in snake form as well - as in 12344321 etc instead of 12341234 etc. I love the division draft, just saying the selection order should be a snake order instead of a "straight" draft with the same order every round.
6/9/2020 3:26 PM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 6/9/2020 3:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 6/9/2020 2:48:00 PM (view original):

Now I'm not sure quite what you mean. People choose closer to 24 in the actual (player) draft because it IS a snake draft. What I'm saying is that the DIVISION draft should go in snake form as well - as in 12344321 etc instead of 12341234 etc. I love the division draft, just saying the selection order should be a snake order instead of a "straight" draft with the same order every round.
What I am saying is that in a snake, all positions are equal, which results in no benefit for the teams at the top of that foursome.
6/9/2020 3:30 PM
You guys are saying the same thing. Tarheel doesn’t think there should be an advantage for the top spot, robusk does. I tend to agree with robusk, however you guys are forgetting that a division draft is five rounds instead of the six in the ODL so there actually still would be an advantage to going 1st.

I’m fine with discussing it next season if people are passionate about it.
6/9/2020 4:29 PM
Posted by benhoidal on 6/9/2020 4:29:00 PM (view original):
You guys are saying the same thing. Tarheel doesn’t think there should be an advantage for the top spot, robusk does. I tend to agree with robusk, however you guys are forgetting that a division draft is five rounds instead of the six in the ODL so there actually still would be an advantage to going 1st.

How many repeat champs happen as a result of the division draft?

Probably a non-issue.
6/9/2020 4:35 PM
also, this:

Division Draft

robusk benhoidal HDS1 tau1624
redbooda redbooda redbooda bds9992
isacqbs58 albiband0 isacqbs58 jackedjamie
albiband0 isacqbs58 albiband0 seapilots
jackedjamie 20ks NotoriousJ tarheel1991
thomcat bds9992 bds9992 gerryred
mikee1 mikee1 thomcat ashamael
bds9992 jackedjamie 20ks mikee1
20ks gerryred seapilots albiband0
gerryred ysw128 pharrop dBKC
seapilots NotoriousJ ysw128 jcred5
ysw128 thomcat mikee1 NotoriousJ
24kpyrite 24kpyrite dBKC 24kpyrite
NotoriousJ seapilots 24kpyrite ysw128
dBKC mptrey mptrey mptrey
jcred5 dh555 dh555 20ks
pharrop jcred5 jackedjamie dh555
mptrey pharrop jcred5 pharrop
dh555 tarheel1991 gerryred redbooda
tarheel1991 dBKC tarheel1991 isacqbs58
ashamael ashamael ashamael thomcat

Thanks for the confidence!
6/9/2020 4:37 PM
Posted by ashamael on 6/9/2020 4:35:00 PM (view original):

Probably a non-issue.
Yeah hasn’t been one since we started it. But also hasn’t been one in 33 seasons which really goes to show how f’ing hard this league is. Last season aside, I am not even sure there has been much correlation between division performances and draft slots.
6/9/2020 5:00 PM
Posted by robusk on 6/9/2020 5:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ashamael on 6/9/2020 4:35:00 PM (view original):

Probably a non-issue.
Yeah hasn’t been one since we started it. But also hasn’t been one in 33 seasons which really goes to show how f’ing hard this league is. Last season aside, I am not even sure there has been much correlation between division performances and draft slots.
Give me a minute
6/9/2020 6:07 PM
◂ Prev 1...18|19|20|21 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.