Round 1 Themes, 2020 Topic

Posted by schwarze on 6/4/2020 8:04:00 PM (view original):
I hate this aspect of the WIS Championship, but the number of innings drafted is such an important aspect of your success. Draft too few and fatigue hell awaits... draft too many and your roster quality suffers.
Wouldn't you agree this is true in every league where there's a cap (maybe aside from the $200M+ ones, I guess)?

I like that the sweet spot is a moving target and you have to make educated guesses on how a theme might play out, how your stadium will impact you, and a host of other factors. And managerial skill definitely plays into it, too, so working with fewer innings challenges me to focus on learning how to work with pitch counts and other settings. When you dig into these, you get deeper into the game and get motivated to test out strategies and challenge yourself with themes at different caps.

For a concrete example of this, I have played about 13-14 seasons now in the Cooperstown Historical Replay, where you get a real team's exact roster. However many IP/PA qualified for WIS is what you have to play with, and owners often are forced to manage with ridiculously low numbers. But I can look back on some seasons and see that they pushed my comfort zone and made me better. Someone managed a season at Coors with just over 1300 innings recently. I promise that made him a better owner, though.
6/4/2020 8:32 PM
Yes - it is true with all leagues. But the stakes are higher with the WIS Championship. In regular theme leagues, I have no problem being conservative and drafting more than I need - so maybe I win 90 games instead of 95. But if I do that in the Championship, that could be the difference between finishing 10th and 27th.

I've always wished that 1400 innings was the same across all leagues and not reliant on pitch count and salary cap.
6/4/2020 9:15 PM
Estimating innings is part of the strategy. Not an exact science for sure , but nothing about this game is. My latest tactic when I'm unsure is to draft a mopup and another 290k pitcher who can spot start 8-9 innings. That way I have enough innings and I didn't waste much money if I'm wrong. More concerned about burining a roster spot.
6/4/2020 9:43 PM
Oh I know... I just wish is wasn't. And I always draft 1 or 2 sub-300K guys for the same purpose.
6/4/2020 9:51 PM
I'm probably remarkably low on innings for many of my teams. I enjoy working my pitchers and having a very hands on approach. I also draft 1-2 200k guys who can give my guy a break now and again.
6/4/2020 10:34 PM
Injuries being on is also a huge part. When I went into the death spiral a couple years ago, I had '08 Mathewson. Once I realized how bad of shape I was in, I planned to always rest Mathewson to 100 and hope to get CG wins from him when he pitched. But many times he was forced into relief duty after other pitchers got hurt due to extreme fatigue.
6/4/2020 10:45 PM
Ok, we're pretty close to being all set.

I'll send out a sitemail update (and get the Roster Selection Strategies thread going) tonight.

I expect we'll start playing games on Monday or Tuesday.
6/5/2020 4:46 PM
We're starting a new tradition.

Last year, I said the marinerrott was my underdog pick to make Round 2. I must have cursed him because he underperformed and did not make it. This year, I have another owner in mind (another first time participant) who I think will surprise people. This is 06gsp.

We'll call this the Commissioner's Pick (so that it can keep going after/if I no longer host the tournament at some point in the future). Hopefully it doesn't result in a Madden Curse esque scenario.
6/6/2020 3:01 AM
uh oh, the kiss of death!
6/6/2020 5:43 AM
Doing a final sweep of all rosters. Finding a few remaining issues. Sitemails are being sent. Please fix ASAP so that we can get started :)
6/7/2020 12:04 AM
Saw the instruction to rename teams last night. Unable to figure out how to do so at this point. Any help would be appreciated.
6/8/2020 12:02 PM
Posted by marvin_katko on 6/8/2020 12:02:00 PM (view original):
Saw the instruction to rename teams last night. Unable to figure out how to do so at this point. Any help would be appreciated.
Pretty sure it's too late to do it once the schedules form, but you could probably send a ticket in and ask if they'll do it for you.
6/8/2020 12:18 PM
Posted by redcped on 6/8/2020 12:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by marvin_katko on 6/8/2020 12:02:00 PM (view original):
Pretty sure it's too late to do it once the schedules form, but you could probably send a ticket in and ask if they'll do it for you.
This is correct. Please do this.
6/8/2020 1:29 PM
◂ Prev 1...16|17|18
Round 1 Themes, 2020 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.