Countdown Draft League #2 Topic

First of all, I have a new respect for anyone who has done evals in the past, especially a whole league's worth. Only one division has taken up much more time and brain power than I anticipated and I liked every team in my division so it was super hard to make predictions.

With that being said, I'm going to unload a couple walls of text now.
4/29/2019 11:16 AM
Before I get started with the evals, I'll give you a quick breakdown of what I look for in a team so you have more of an idea where my head is at. Most of this is ripped from ashamael's thread (https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=449629&TopicsTimeframe=0) in the simleague basketball forum. But since joining the site last year I have won 2 championships and average about 46 wins a season since I started so I think it is a good template to go by.

Trey's keys to success:
- Rebounding, rebounding, and more rebounding
- High eFG% from your highest usage players
- Competent defense, and three pointers made
- Low turnover % and low foul rate per 48 minutes

If you've seen how well my current ODL team is doing despite many other flaws you can see why I think rebounding is the most important part of a winning team. It's okay to have a competent rebounding team, but not okay to have a bad one.

eFG% is pretty self explanatory, in the perfect situation, you want your best scorers to be as efficient as possible. Anyone under 50 efg% and over 20% usage makes me worry unless he really helps you in other areas.

In a league with a higher cap like this, defense is a little more important than usual but as long as at least 3 of your highest played players are 80-90+, I feel like you can skimp on defense on the bench. I like to see, at the VERY least 300 3pm and preferably 500-600 in my experience. You can get by without these two things but it will be difficult to win a championship in my opinion.

Low foul and turnover rate are secondary things I look at, kind of in the same boat as Ast% that having good numbers in these territories can very much help your team but I don't think maxing out these categories alone are a viable strategy, especially in draft leagues.
4/29/2019 11:19 AM
With that being said, let's get to the evals:

Dwight H. Johnson (rogerh67)

Pro's:
- Two good rebounders and a lot of defense down low.
- 32 minutes of Curry a game never hurts.
- A lot of efficiency from your guards.
- One of, if not the best sub 1000 minute seasons from KD.

Con's:
- Hakeem is going to take some shots away from Curry.
- Lowish efficiency from Reed and Olajuwon.

Overall:
This team checks most of the boxes, competent in a lot of areas but not dominating in any area either. I would have hoped for more efficient big men but their defense and rebounding might be more valuable on a team with Curry.

Prediction:
42-46 wins.

Golden State Of Mind (mptrey)

Pro's:
- Curry's season is one of the best in the sim.
- Shaq off the bench seemed like a steal to me. Very efficient season.
- Pretty good rebounding and very efficient offensively.

Con's:
- Jerry Lucas is a pretty big hole on defense.
- Defense overall could be better.
- Might not be enough passing.

Overall:
I think I hurt myself by waiting so long to get a 9+ player. Lucas may well be a liability but I needed a big man and liked his efficiency and rebounding. Also I constantly never draft enough assists and hope it doesn't bite me.

Prediction:
40-44 wins.

holgate tigers (ysw128)

Pro's:
- Love the new Giannis season.
- Lots of Ast% should give you a decent FG% boost.
- Very good eFG% and Reb%.

Con's:
- Barely meets the bare minimum of threes.
- A couple holes in the defense that could be exposed.

Overall:
Not sure how to feel about this team. Obviously a ton of great players and it technically ticks the boxes of what I usually look for but can't help but think teams are going to sag in the paint with -2 or -3 defense and haven't seen enough of this type of team enough to know how well it works.

Prediction:
36-40 wins.
4/29/2019 11:21 AM
Sioux City Lawyers (Midge)

Pro's:
- The GOAT.
- Great defense all the way around. Low foul rate.
- Very efficient offense, low turnover rate from Kawhi and MJ.

Con's:
- Too much usage might take away the efficiency of your role players?
- Might not have enough assists without Stockton or Kidd on the floor.

Overall:
Hard to find cons for this team, this team hits the sweet spot with everything I look for. 89-90 MJ is one of my favorite seasons in the sim and Kawhi is very similar in efficiency so they shouldn't take away from each other. I have a hard time seeing why this team shouldn't be a contender.

Prediction:
52-56 wins.

The Duncan Yo-Yos (rubnsly)

Pro's:
- Lots of assists all around should boost your percentages considerably.
- Didn't sacrifice much rebounding for those assists.
- Good defense to cover up Vucci and low foul rate too.

Con's:
- A lot of usage. I don't like when I can't predict who my shots will go to every game.
- Maybe too many threes? Teams might be able to play +1 or +2 to limit your offense.

Overall:
I don't really like how Payton fits into this team, he has good defense and a low turnover rate but high-ish usage and low-ish efficiency. I like most of what this team offers but game to game it might be pretty inconsistent.

Prediction:
34-38 wins.

The Nash-ville Worms (dBKC)

Pro's:
- Insane offensive efficiency.
- Good rebounding all around.
- Hit the sweet spot in the number of threes.

Con's:
- Nash and LeBron both turn the ball over a fair amount.
- A couple holes on defense that could be exploited.
- Is there enough assists when LeBron is on the bench?

Overall:
The efficiency is off the chains, and you didn't sacrifice too much to get it. LeBron's the only forward on your roster with assists so you might run into problems when he sits but you should be able to figure out a lineup to make sure you're set.

Prediction:
44-48 wins
4/29/2019 11:23 AM
Maybe I should have put this in teams in commentary instead, whoops, sorry!
4/29/2019 11:25 AM
Great stuff, thanks for doing this.

If you want to, you could just copy and paste it and drop it into the commentary thread.
4/29/2019 12:49 PM
◂ Prev 1...24|25|26
Countdown Draft League #2 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.