Lets debate! Topic

First off, I am against anti-discrimination laws anyways. The market takes of discrimination on its own. The government actually had to put discrimination laws into place because the market wasn't discriminating for them. People don't care who they sell to. They just want the money. The people that do care go out of business. It's one thing that I love about capitalism.

To this specific case, the baker said he would sell the gay couple a cake. He said that he would not put two dudes on top and he would not write "Jim and Bob" or whatever on it. Asking him to decorate the cake for a gay wedding is discriminating on his religious beliefs. Once again, take a step back and look at this logically.
1/29/2019 3:36 PM
Also, you seem to have a selective, unconstitutional view of religious freedom. We are free to practice our religion in all walks of life. If I open a business, I don't have to stop practicing my religion while i'm at that business.
1/29/2019 3:39 PM
Maybe this will help you understand.

B_L is an author for a living. He is a very talented author. I want him to write me a book on how homosexuality is a sin and immoral. Should he have to do it or can he deny service based on his beliefs?
1/29/2019 3:44 PM
KO is correct. I don't think the baker or any business owner should be forced to write, draw, design anything that they deem uncomfortable to them. Doesn't have to be religious. If the owner hated the Rams, he should be able to deny service to those who want to put "Patriots suck, Go Rams".
1/29/2019 3:48 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 1/29/2019 2:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 1/29/2019 2:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by strikeout26 on 1/29/2019 2:24:00 PM (view original):
We all have government protections. It doesn't give the government the right to intrude on our lives. It should work the same for businesses. It's the government's job to protect.

Okay, I agree that when businesses start taking handouts from the government they have now sold their sole and relinquished their freedoms. This creates crony capitalism and is very dangerous.

You didn't answer the last question.
We all have government protections but there are times when we waive our rights in exchange for something else.

For instance, when you open a bank (or other public accommodation), you give up the right to discriminate against your customers on the basis of religion.

Open a private club or church, feel free to discriminate. Open a bank, restaurant, etc., give up that right.

This brings up another interesting point and shows why your logic is flawed. Government screws everything they touch up. That's a fact. For instance, in effort to prevent discrimination, the government actually discriminates. A good example of this is the Oregon baker.
What did the government screw up there?
1/29/2019 3:57 PM
There's two pages that answer your question.
1/29/2019 3:59 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 1/29/2019 2:09:00 PM (view original):
Explain why being publicly traded gives the government the right to interfere. You say it's a fact.

Also, do you believe government should be allowed to interfere in only publicly traded businesses or all businesses?
It's like saying its a fact the goverment screws everything up
1/29/2019 4:00 PM
True. I used "that's a fact" as a figure of speech and I will henceforth assume B_L did too unless he says otherwise.
1/29/2019 4:02 PM
We all have government protections. It doesn't give the government the right to intrude on our lives. It should work the same for businesses. It's the government's job to protect.

Okay, I agree that when businesses start taking handouts from the government they have now sold their sole and relinquished their freedoms. This creates crony capitalism and is very dangerous.

So you agree abortion ahould be up to the individual and government should have no say?
1/29/2019 4:02 PM
We'll discuss abortion tomorrow just for you, because I need to do some work and that is quite an in-depth debate.
1/29/2019 4:05 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 1/29/2019 3:59:00 PM (view original):
There's two pages that answer your question.
You realize that a lot of what happened to the bakery was because they published the names and address of the same sex couple?
1/29/2019 4:05 PM
Why?
1/29/2019 4:07 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 1/29/2019 4:05:00 PM (view original):
We'll discuss abortion tomorrow just for you, because I need to do some work and that is quite an in-depth debate.
I'm in Reno all day tomorrow. Home Thursday, Vegas for Super Bowl until Tuesday. How about next wednesday? Lol
1/29/2019 4:07 PM
I just realized that I put "Oregon" baker in the initial post about this and meant Colorado. If you are referring to the Colorado case, I am unaware of what you're speaking about, but it had no effect on any rulings in the case.
1/29/2019 4:08 PM
Posted by The Taint on 1/29/2019 4:02:00 PM (view original):

So you agree abortion ahould be up to the individual and government should have no say?
Gov't has say in terms of how much money I can pay my employees. Gov't has a lot of say.
1/29/2019 4:08 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...229 Next ▸
Lets debate! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.