ODL 70 Commentary Topic

Posted by tarheel1991 on 1/18/2019 10:39:00 AM (view original):
Actually, scratch that, think I'm leaning towards blowing it up and switching to the partial season of 94-95 Drexler and starting an undrafted guy. We'll see.
More teams should start undrafted guys imo
1/18/2019 12:38 PM
more teams should only draft 17002 minutes IMO
1/18/2019 12:41 PM
I always do that.
1/18/2019 7:33 PM
Thanks for the writeups, robusk. I will agree that there is nothing really that stands out about my team, but I am proud of myself for budgeting my team much better than last year and covering up any holes/weaknesses I saw in the process.

Hoping to get above .500 this time around, and grabbing one of the best players in the sim (MJ), and drafting a fairly risk free team around him seems like a good strategy to me.
1/21/2019 10:13 AM
First off, I lean heavily on the ADP for my first 3 picks, then check when I go for picks 4 and 5. By the sixth round the team is usually set in how it will be so I am just filling in what is needed, usually 3's.

Moses was too good to pass at #19 and I don't believe I have ever used him even in my pre-2007 ODL days. Using the 78-79 version with 54.7% efg, 80 D, 23.4% usage, 18.2% OReb%, and the 16.2% TOV that seems to scare most. TOV% in not something I really focused on until the latter parts of ODL draft 69. Still learning some as most of my seasons are pre-2007. Penny at #29 seemed good with his 54.9% efg and 25.5 usage, 83 D and 13.2 TOV. That rate is an improvement from the over 20% John Stockton I used at PG in ODL 69. I hoped that Capela would fall to me but he didn't. Had the same slot in ODL 69, #67, and tried to find a C or PF that fit with Moses. Then looked at SF to see if anyone stood out. So then I did it, took Tom Boerwinkle again at the same spot. The 31.1% DREB% stands out and he brings a 19.1% Ast% which opens more possibilities for the 2 and 3 positions. That was a rl game night, a surprise win and a few beers, and I wasn't in position to calc his TOV% not listed on bballreference so I took him and his 18% TOV and the 5.6 FP48. In hindsight, not sure I would do much different, anyone else who fit was a big reach at 67 and like I said those REB and AST rates leave many options at the 2 and 3. Marvin Williams brings 55.4% efg, 152 made 3's, 7.1% TOV, 2.7 FP48. Considered Covington but Williams' DREB was the difference. Sabonis was one of the few 5's that fit with Boerwinkle and I tried matching up some 2's and 5's with minutes similar to Boerwinkle to have enough AST% on the floor but no one really worked so Sabonis was a no brainer at 5. The 6th pick I was looking for 3's at the 2 and backup 3. Middleton shoots 53% efg 109 3's, 10.8% TOV and 3.7 FP48. Dunleavy Jr. is a good fit with Williams and gives me some minutes at the 2 where I am a little short. He is 56% efg, 102 3's, 10.7% TOV and 3.1 FP48.

robusk was spot on with his analysis of our ODL 69 entry, Jack and Dan's Bar, high TO and fouls did us in, so I tried to improve on that but maybe not enough. I think this squad is better coming in with a better D, lower TOV% and FP48 but there are some good entries so we shall see.

I am weak with naming my teams so jhsukow's comment about plans and Tom Boerwinkle seemed to fit. Thanks for the assist *carolina point* at jhsukow.

And thanks to robusk for the thorough reviews that help me learn the game.
1/21/2019 11:44 AM
“Antetokounmpo, Giannis
Gilmore, Artis
Leonard, Kawhi
Oakley, Charles
Andersen, Chris
Holiday, Jrue
Tinsley, Jamaal
I just don’t think this will come together. I mean, I love Giannis and I love Leonard. The new Holiday season is nice. Tinsley and Birdman are ODL classics. I just think this team is too expensive as it stands, with maybe some money wasted on usage. So it is likely the bench will be super soft and not sure if dbkc will be able to get enough threes. 30-40 wins.”

Thanks for the write-up. I see your perspective but I ended up with about 540 threes and a stronger bench than I had last year (with my team that made it to the second round).

The fact that I have so much usage and multiple efficient scorers allowed me to go with a Gilmore year that was a little cheaper than his best seasons and still has his high minutes, great boards and good D but at a smaller salary due to lower eFG. Since he’s only going to be my 4th/5th scorer, I’m okay with that trade-off and I plugged the savings into my bench. Jrue will be getting some minutes off the bench as well to strengthen the second unit while Tinsley and others play PG with Kawhi and Giannis. I think I’ll surprise everyone and make the playoffs again.
1/21/2019 12:41 PM
nice work robusk
1/21/2019 1:05 PM
great job robusk

i agree with everything you said about my team...defense will be a problem...jammal tinsley falling to my 6th spot like he did last year would have helped a lot...i should have traded my high 5th for a lower 5th and higher 6th...probably could have got jr and tinsley

1/21/2019 4:23 PM
Robusk, great job!
definitely gonna muck it up.
1/21/2019 6:42 PM
I kinda agree robusk, probably could have used 1 more scorer in my starting lineup, but when Horace fell to the 4th I felt like I had to get him. Probably should have found a low d scorer to go along with Whiteside. We will see how it goes, I made sure I drafted enough scoring off the bench but took a hit on Ray's backup.
1/21/2019 7:55 PM
There are a ton of typos in that overall review. I need to fix them. Really stoked to see all the replies. This is the sh** that makes the ODL awesome.
1/21/2019 10:20 PM
jhsukow

Curry, Stephen
Barkley, Charles
Williams, Buck
O'Neal, Jermaine
Frazier, Walt
Aldrich, Cole
Miller, Mike
It is hard to go wrong with a Curry-Barkley start. Buck Williams is fine. He was drafted in an okay spot for him and is a good enough player. Aldrich is one of the best low minute players in the sim. Frazier is not for me, I don’t like what I get for the money. O’Neal and Miller are totally meh. I don’t think jhsukow did enough to put the right people around Curry and Barkley. 30-40 wins.

I made made plenty of mistakes in the draft, but pairing Frazier with Curry wasn’t one of them.
1/21/2019 10:29 PM
Posted by jhsukow on 1/21/2019 10:29:00 PM (view original):
jhsukow

Curry, Stephen
Barkley, Charles
Williams, Buck
O'Neal, Jermaine
Frazier, Walt
Aldrich, Cole
Miller, Mike
It is hard to go wrong with a Curry-Barkley start. Buck Williams is fine. He was drafted in an okay spot for him and is a good enough player. Aldrich is one of the best low minute players in the sim. Frazier is not for me, I don’t like what I get for the money. O’Neal and Miller are totally meh. I don’t think jhsukow did enough to put the right people around Curry and Barkley. 30-40 wins.

I made made plenty of mistakes in the draft, but pairing Frazier with Curry wasn’t one of them.
With Barkley and Curry you don’t need or want the usage. So you can find lower usage players with more threes who do everything else just as well for a much much lower salary. Someone like Pat Beverley for example is the better alternative to Frazier here. That’s my argument.
1/21/2019 10:46 PM (edited)
"tarheel1991

Garnett, Kevin
Jordan, DeAndre
Brandon, Terrell
Drexler, Clyde
Perdue, Will
Burrell, Scott
Lin, Jeremy
I know which seasons of these players I would use and I think it leaves room for a pretty decent bench. I don’t love the scoring efficiency or shot distribution among the high usage guys here but everything else is pretty good. Not too many fouls or turnovers. Lots of passing, good threes, excellent defense, awesome rebounding. 40-50 wins."

Thanks - I think you're being a little generous. I'm a few years out of practice in this cap so I will be happy if I can challenge for a playoff spot. I suspect you won't like the decision I made to move to the supersub, 1300-minute version of Drexler and start an undrafted guy (hint: he's one of the "Killer Bs" in my team name!) but I liked the team with those two seasons better than I did any of the versions with the full-season Drexler and the backups I was finding. I do wish I had made that decision before making my sixth-round picks, though; may have changed some things.

Anyway, my team should have pretty solid defense (four starters with 80+ D, though the bench is pretty weak defensively other than Drexler and Lin) and I'm hopeful that the very low turnovers will pay off, but the rebounding will not be as good as you suggest, both because my undrafted starting SG is weaker than Drexler there and because the bench are almost all worse rebounders than the starters. Should be fun!
1/22/2019 5:52 PM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 1/22/2019 5:52:00 PM (view original):
"tarheel1991

Garnett, Kevin
Jordan, DeAndre
Brandon, Terrell
Drexler, Clyde
Perdue, Will
Burrell, Scott
Lin, Jeremy
I know which seasons of these players I would use and I think it leaves room for a pretty decent bench. I don’t love the scoring efficiency or shot distribution among the high usage guys here but everything else is pretty good. Not too many fouls or turnovers. Lots of passing, good threes, excellent defense, awesome rebounding. 40-50 wins."

Thanks - I think you're being a little generous. I'm a few years out of practice in this cap so I will be happy if I can challenge for a playoff spot. I suspect you won't like the decision I made to move to the supersub, 1300-minute version of Drexler and start an undrafted guy (hint: he's one of the "Killer Bs" in my team name!) but I liked the team with those two seasons better than I did any of the versions with the full-season Drexler and the backups I was finding. I do wish I had made that decision before making my sixth-round picks, though; may have changed some things.

Anyway, my team should have pretty solid defense (four starters with 80+ D, though the bench is pretty weak defensively other than Drexler and Lin) and I'm hopeful that the very low turnovers will pay off, but the rebounding will not be as good as you suggest, both because my undrafted starting SG is weaker than Drexler there and because the bench are almost all worse rebounders than the starters. Should be fun!
If you’re refering to a certain 17-18 guy with B in his name at SG, he’s been killing it for me in the current DH52 league. I’m in first place and he’s getting heavy rotation. Good idea IMO if so. He’s underrated.
1/22/2019 9:48 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10 Next ▸
ODL 70 Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.