Devious Weasel, Part Deux (10 in) Topic

We have a great group of owners here so far, all of whom are well known to be reliable owners with high integrity.  So I probably don't have to mention this, but for the benefit of anyone who joins later and may be new to WIS or to themes...the assumption here is that everyone who joins will play no matter how badly you get screwed over in the draft.  If season 1 is any indication, some owners will end up with teams that are very unlikely to compete for a playoff spot.

Some of the very fun ways you can get screwed over....

1.) Get saddled with a couple of very high-salary seasons for your exclusive player/pitcher and the guy you get in round 6.  Not out of the question that half of your salary cap (or more) could be taken up by those three players.
2.) Get stuck with a franchise-decade without a lot of choices or roster flexibility (hello, 19th century....)
3.) Get stuck with a franchise-decade that is just plain awful (well, they're all awful, but some are more awful than others.)  In season 1 I got saddled with a Browns franchise-decade that had literally no pitchers you would ever draft for an OL.
4.) Have one or more of the best players from the franchise-decade you are assigned ineligible for you because someone took them in round 1 or round 2.  Suppose (hypothetically) someone assigns you the 1984-93 Orioles in round 5, but someone else has grabbed Cal Ripken as their exclusive position player in round 1.  You can't use any version of Ripken, and good luck finding any other shortstop on the O's from that decade.  Gonna have to get creative (unless you were lucky enough to draft a good shortstop as your exclusive player in round 1.)
5.) Get a high-PA season assigned for your exclusive player, and then get stuck in a park like Petco...how are you going to get 750PA for that player?  

This league is indeed, devious, and I am counting on everyone to stick it out no matter how bad it looks....

7/7/2015 7:41 PM
I've had fun with round 1, so I'll be back for round 2:

I'll nominate Albert Pujols and Three Finger Brown

7/7/2015 8:42 PM
frazzman80 has reserved a spot by sitemail, but he and his wife are expecting their first second child any day now, so he may not be able to participate.  We'll replace him if need be, but for now, he's in.

That brings us to 8.  1/3 full in less than 24 hours!
7/8/2015 10:51 AM (edited)
Posted by contrarian23 on 7/8/2015 10:51:00 AM (view original):
frazzman80 has reserved a spot by sitemail, but he and his wife are expecting their first second child any day now, so he may not be able to participate.  We'll replace him if need be, but for now, he's in.

That brings us to 8.  1/3 full in less than 24 hours!
I really hope I can play...but if not it will because of the right reasons for sure.

As for the screwing...I've got a couple of doozies for the exclusives. I'm truly sorry if you get stuck with these guys.

Position Player: Sandy Alomar (1964-1978 - WIS eligible in '64, '65, '68-77) - Qualifies for 10+ years and in the great season of 1971, he is listed as a $6.46 million dollar player thanks to his 739 PAs and A/A+ glove. If you get so lucky as to be assigned Sandy's CAREER YEAR, you can have fun having to lead him off with his .260 .301 .321 triple slash line good for a 91 OPS+! If you are not assigned this season, then good luck because Sandy is flat out AWFUL in any other season, only cracking .300 in OBP three other times in his career (.302 twice and .333 in 97 PAs as a DH) and never above that magic number of 91 OPS+

Pitcher: Bert Cunningham (1887-1901 - WIS eligible in 1888-'91, 1895-1900) - Qualifies for 10+ years and actually has FOUR seasons of $7+ million dollars! But if you get any of those 4, you will certainly not be pleased as his ERC+ is over 100 in only 2 of them, a remarkably good 1888 with 537 IP and a $14+ million price tag (albatross!) or 1898 where he is actually good and has a 1.24 WHIP# (not likely to see this season). No...I bet you see one of his other seasons where his WHIP#s range from 1.39 (another good one) up to my favorite season in 1890, where his $7.5+ million season nets you a WHIP# of 1.73 and an ERC+ of 79!

I hope that I don't get stuck with the 24th spot...as these guys are going to definitely have high odds of being the last ones taken!
7/8/2015 11:30 AM
Great choices frazzman.  Good luck with the birth of your baby girl, and we hope to see you here soon!
7/9/2015 5:14 AM (edited)
I'm in with position player Bobby Lowe and pitcher Red Donahue
7/8/2015 9:14 PM
Welcome back evm... and thanks for making 2 more devious additions to our list of exclusive players.  This will be a fascinating draft, to be sure.
7/9/2015 4:59 AM
I'm back.  I'll nominate Von Hayes and Denny Neagle.
7/17/2015 4:10 PM
Glad to see the season 1 champ is back to defend his title.

Who's next?
7/17/2015 5:39 PM

Hope we can start screwing soon. :)

lol

7/18/2015 12:33 PM
I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest...season 1 filled in like 3 days, and was a lot of fun.  The modified rules for season two should keep things very fresh and interesting.

I'm gonna give this another week...if it hasn't filled by then, I'll have to mothball the idea.  I'm off to Japan for a couple of weeks starting 8/10.
7/24/2015 2:17 PM
Top for some fresh sign-ups...
7/29/2015 5:31 PM
◂ Prev 12
Devious Weasel, Part Deux (10 in) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.