2015 NBA Offseason Thread Topic

Posted by AlCheez on 7/7/2015 9:47:00 AM (view original):
Crazy to think they would have won easily/swept - you know, the thing you actually said and that he actually referred to.
This.

You (Moranis) state things as fact that have never happened.  There's no way to prove what would have happened had Love & Kyrie been playing since they weren't playing.  Lebron might have played much less aggressively since he knew he had other options, and then maybe the Cavs don't get even as close as they did.  I don't think that would have happened, but it could have, just like all kinds of things that could have happened. 

What we DO know is that the Warriors won in six, and that Cavs team you so admire had injuries to two key cogs that - guess what - have a history of injury problems!  There's no category for "Would have been champs if not for ___________" in any records that I've ever seen.  There's also no category for almost.  Hell, what is almost, anyway?  Which of the last three games were close enough to be called almost?  No, the Cavs didn't almost win.  They eked out two victories against a team that was playing down to their level and then showed how over matched they were in the last three games, just like some of the other teams the Warriors beat en route to their championship.

At this point, it looks like everybody's playing for 2nd place to the Spurs so, say whatever you want & think whatever you want.  Just don't act like somebody is a complete idiot because they don't agree with your stating things as fact that cannot be proven.

Have a great day!
7/7/2015 5:56 PM
Posted by ashamael on 7/7/2015 5:56:00 PM (view original):
Crazy to think they would have won easily/swept - you know, the thing you actually said and that he actually referred to.
This.

You (Moranis) state things as fact that have never happened.  There's no way to prove what would have happened had Love & Kyrie been playing since they weren't playing.  Lebron might have played much less aggressively since he knew he had other options, and then maybe the Cavs don't get even as close as they did.  I don't think that would have happened, but it could have, just like all kinds of things that could have happened. 

What we DO know is that the Warriors won in six, and that Cavs team you so admire had injuries to two key cogs that - guess what - have a history of injury problems!  There's no category for "Would have been champs if not for ___________" in any records that I've ever seen.  There's also no category for almost.  Hell, what is almost, anyway?  Which of the last three games were close enough to be called almost?  No, the Cavs didn't almost win.  They eked out two victories against a team that was playing down to their level and then showed how over matched they were in the last three games, just like some of the other teams the Warriors beat en route to their championship.

At this point, it looks like everybody's playing for 2nd place to the Spurs so, say whatever you want & think whatever you want.  Just don't act like somebody is a complete idiot because they don't agree with your stating things as fact that cannot be proven.

Have a great day!
I like this game. Let's now refer to the 90s Bulls at the 8-peat Bulls, because they wouldn't have lost had Jordan kept playing.
Then we can refer to Michael as the 8 time finals MVP, because no one would have won it over him.
7/7/2015 9:39 PM (edited)
Posted by bkbillups on 7/7/2015 9:39:00 PM (view original):
This.

Have a great day!
I like this game. Let's now refer to the 90s Bulls at the 8-peat Bulls, because they wouldn't have lost had Jordan kept playing.
Then we can refer to Michael as the 8 time finals MVP, because no one would have won it over him.
Why stop at 8?  Maybe his competitive spirit got the best of him & he decided that nobody would have more rings than he, and they won it 12x.
7/7/2015 9:56 PM
This.

Have a great day!
Of course there is no way to prove it

But answer this, if Love and Irving were both healthy, what do you think the end result of that series would have been?

And for the record, I absolutely expect a Spurs/Cavs finals and if everyone is healthy would imagine it would be an all time epic series.  The Spurs are the one team that can match up pound for pound with the Cavs based on the off season. 

7/8/2015 8:57 AM (edited)
In a game that consists of 8 months of running and jumping, no team is going to be fully healthy.

Warriors still would have won the series.
7/8/2015 11:15 AM
Deandre Jordan having second thoughts.  Big crew of Clippers flying to Houston to meet with him.
7/8/2015 1:53 PM
Posted by moranis on 7/8/2015 8:57:00 AM (view original):
This.

Have a great day!
Of course there is no way to prove it

But answer this, if Love and Irving were both healthy, what do you think the end result of that series would have been?

And for the record, I absolutely expect a Spurs/Cavs finals and if everyone is healthy would imagine it would be an all time epic series.  The Spurs are the one team that can match up pound for pound with the Cavs based on the off season. 

Same as I said prior to the series: Warriors in six.  I think the best team they beat en route to their championship was Memphis.

And, again, we're talking about two players that have a history of injury trouble.  The if game don't matter.  There's a website based on "what if" but the real thing ain't no sim.
7/9/2015 10:51 PM
Mavericks got crushed with by losing out on DeAndre Jordan. Nothing against the rules on what he did, but man that's a disaster for the Mavs who went from a 2nd tier team to the lottery. Now they have cash, but no one to spend it on. Word has Deron Williams trying to get out of Brooklyn to join the Mavs, but the team still won't be good unless Deron Williams hits the fountain of the youth and starts giving a damn again. They also have to bank on Wesley Matthews recovering from an achilles injury, which is a death sentence for most NBA players.
7/10/2015 3:26 AM
If Matthews is healthy enough (you know 70 games or so), I think they actually have an outside shot at the playoffs as there are only 7 teams out west clearly better than them (GS, Mem, SAS, LAC, Hou, OKC, NO).  I'd put them right there with the remaining 7 teams in the west (PHO, MIN, DEN, UTA, SAC, LAL, POR). 

I mean they did win 50 games last year.  Obviously losing Ellis and Chandler are fairly big blows (Aminu and Barea played key roles as well), but a healthy enough Matthews gives them much of what Ellis does.  They acquired Pachulia, who is at least a credible big man (no where near as good as Chandler or Jordan, but not a total bum either).  If they bring in Josh Smith, which has been rumored it adds to their interior defense.  Williams would provide some decent shooting for like 40 games, but even without him they still have a decent back-court/wing rotation with Parsons, Matthews, Harris, Felton, and the rookie Anderson.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas finished 8th or they finished in dead last in the conference.  Those teams all seem pretty close together in overall talent and fit.
7/10/2015 10:05 AM
That's fair. They'll get Deron Williams so the starting lineup is good.

PG Deron Williams
SG Wesley Matthews
SF Chandler Parsons
PF Dirk Nowitzki
C Zaza

Not quite sure how the bench is. I know they have Richard Jefferson, Raymond Felton. Not sure about backup bigs. Might not be good at all, but they still have some money to spend.

As far as Matthews it's not so much how many games he'll play, it's if he'll be effective. I saw an article that talked about achilles injuries and there was a couple of successful comebacks, but mostly failures.
7/11/2015 2:32 PM
yeah that is probably the hardest injury to come back from for a NBA player.

Looks like Embiid having another surgery, will most likely miss this whole season. 

7/11/2015 3:28 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 7/11/2015 2:32:00 PM (view original):
That's fair. They'll get Deron Williams so the starting lineup is good.

PG Deron Williams
SG Wesley Matthews
SF Chandler Parsons
PF Dirk Nowitzki
C Zaza

Not quite sure how the bench is. I know they have Richard Jefferson, Raymond Felton. Not sure about backup bigs. Might not be good at all, but they still have some money to spend.

As far as Matthews it's not so much how many games he'll play, it's if he'll be effective. I saw an article that talked about achilles injuries and there was a couple of successful comebacks, but mostly failures.
This is a good lineup?????

D Will hasn't been good in years.  Matthews is a huge question mark.  Dirk can't defend a plastic bag, with no wind.  Zaza just can't period.  I like the Kings better, but they are the Kings so they have a chance to screw it up.

The playoffs will be the same as last year except the Mavs and Blazers get replaced by the Thunder and Utah.
7/20/2015 11:22 PM
I think the starting lineup is good, even if there are questions marks with all of them.

Houston got Ty Lawson for nothing.
7/21/2015 1:12 AM
Houston did give up a 1st round pick for a guy that is currently in rehab and very likely faces some sort of suspension.  Plus that might very well be addition by subtraction in Denver as Lawson clearly wasn't happy and wanted out and Denver has Mudiay who needs the time.

Certainly nothing to write home about, but 1st rounders have increasingly more value as the cap rises because of the 4 years of controlled small cost. 

7/21/2015 2:19 PM
Let's say the Rockets make it to at least the 2nd round. That pick will be somewhere between 23-30. Looking at drafts from 4-6 ago, you are mostly seeing busts, or back-end rotation players. You might get a Jimmy Butler, but more likely you are getting a Damion James.

It's a very, very small price to pay for an effective PG, even if he is suspended for a bit.
7/21/2015 5:41 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
2015 NBA Offseason Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.