Always RS an STL??? Topic

IOW If you start an incoming freshman in the 2 ex games, then redshirt him, did he get a bump from starting those 2 ex games?
5/30/2015 12:48 AM
Posted by robust_trex on 5/30/2015 12:12:00 AM (view original):
The lower an attribute is the bigger it grows quickly. Get him FR starts for 2 Ex games and 16 others and watch. WE is a different animal, it is grown with Potential and Starts......... WE, Practice minutes, and Potential, determine the growth of everything else.
Dude, WE is different. The lower it is, the tougher it is to bring up.
5/30/2015 9:21 AM
How about an STL DB? RS always?
5/30/2015 8:23 PM
My opinion is to RS this guy.  Now, my approach is to always put a RS on an OL.  So..this would fit in my scheme very well.    When I find an STL, I go out of my way to put a RS on him, if at all possible.

Starting him the next season (at least vs SIM) will be most helpful as well....
5/30/2015 9:41 PM
Right wrong or indifferent, I decided I am NOT going to RS him.  He would be a phenomenal player his last 2-3 years but I think there are more important positions to RS given the current state of GD and my team makeup.  I had a somewhat similar STL OL my first year in D-II and he was a great player but not a game changer:

OL Roland Shaw 

My own preference is to have studs elsewhere and my depth chart allows for other players to be RS and start immediately (the true measure of who to RS in my opinion, all things being equal).

I really enjoyed and appreciated everyone's advice!
6/2/2015 12:16 AM
Smart decision.
6/2/2015 3:11 AM
So since he is going to be #10 on your depth chart, is he going to ride the pine his freshman season or are you going to force him into the starting five ahead of better players? Which player did you RS instead of him?
6/2/2015 8:30 AM
I would still force him into the starting line up. Since the OL is the average of the 5, the difference is marginal. let him build up his work ethic, and then come playoffs, start your best 5. 
6/2/2015 8:56 AM
Posted by miami_jefe on 5/30/2015 9:21:00 AM (view original):
Posted by robust_trex on 5/30/2015 12:12:00 AM (view original):
The lower an attribute is the bigger it grows quickly. Get him FR starts for 2 Ex games and 16 others and watch. WE is a different animal, it is grown with Potential and Starts......... WE, Practice minutes, and Potential, determine the growth of everything else.
Dude, WE is different. The lower it is, the tougher it is to bring up.
Correct
6/2/2015 12:23 PM
Posted by jtd79 on 6/2/2015 8:30:00 AM (view original):
So since he is going to be #10 on your depth chart, is he going to ride the pine his freshman season or are you going to force him into the starting five ahead of better players? Which player did you RS instead of him?
He will play but he will stay at #10 on the depth chart.  I RS'd a QB, DB, LB.  Given my team, next years recruits, style of play, that was best.  I thought hard about RSing my WR (#1 Guess - high pot) but same issue as the OL - he's buried on the depth chart and low WE.  Plus there are several as good/better WRs in next years class.

I don't think there is any magic formula or one size fits all.  I think QB is the only position that you absolutely should RS.  Everything else is based on the players you have and the style of play of your team and your division.
6/2/2015 1:31 PM
Start him, unless you feel you can at least win a CC this season. If this is your year to win, play your best players now. If you're building for 2 seasons from now, he has to start.
6/2/2015 8:12 PM
One thing that I used to do with a player with high potential but low WE that I would consider to redshirt would be to start him for his freshman year, then after he gets the extra boost to WE, redshirt him his sophomore year. He will lose 5 points on WE that way, but if he gained 10 or more his freshman year, then it gives just a bit of an extra boost. If he didn't gain more than 10 points on WE, then you just proceed as normal with no RS for him.
6/2/2015 8:31 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 6/2/2015 8:12:00 PM (view original):
Start him, unless you feel you can at least win a CC this season. If this is your year to win, play your best players now. If you're building for 2 seasons from now, he has to start.
I 100% agree with this.  Playing to win now - not rebuilding.  I think I will give him some starts against sims by making him my #1 sub.
6/2/2015 8:54 PM (edited)
I decided to RS that STL DB. brygold at Quincy has beaten me in the playoffs with his big pass offense, and I hope to meet him again, with my stud DB to be the difference maker!
6/3/2015 6:09 AM
Baddy: you should know you have to move out of the PSAC to actually have a shot at the PSAC Killer.  I have the special "beat the PSAC" code:

B A
6/3/2015 11:40 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Always RS an STL??? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.