biglenr tribute league #2 - you'll love it (FULL!) Topic

Since my first “biglenr tribute league” has just filled and we are about to get started…I’m going to start a second one.  This will be very different…and it’s a treat.  Len ran one of these leagues a few years back and it was about as much fun as I have ever had in a theme league at WIS.

If you’ve come this far, please keep reading…this will be a theme league adventure like no other.

But read carefully.... This is a difficult league to understand. It's INTENSELY fun to draft, and a lot of fun to play.

The most important concept is: You will get screwed over.
The corollary to that concept is: You will screw over others.

If you can accept those conditions, you are in business. If not, there's probably an open league or a $255m league you can play where you won't have to make tough choices.

Now that you know you will be hosed, and that you will hose others....The big question is how?

Well, to start with... You get to draft an exclusive player. This player can only be used by your team, and you must use him. The player must have at least a 10 year WIS career, and at least one of his available seasons must have a salary $7m or greater.

That's pretty good, right? You have a player that nobody else can use... Well, here's the problem (and the first hosing).... Another owner will choose what YEAR your exclusive player gets to play in. Yep, if you choose Babe Ruth, some SOB will most likely give you the shambling wreck of the 1935 Babe as your player. Oh yeah, your player must meet or exceed his real life PA/162 or IP/162 total for your team to be playoff eligible. That’s really important.  Guaranteed someone is going to forget about this and miss the playoffs.  And it you are clever, there might be ways to really screw someone over by giving them a season for their player with an IP or PA target that will be very difficult to hit.

Well, that sucks right? Hang on. It gets better…or, worse.

Yet another owner will select the stadium for your team. Forget the Astrodome or Dodger Stadium or the usual OL parks, you're most likely going to wind up in Coors, Hilltop, or some other nasty little piece of work. Stadiums are also exclusive, of course. Here's the list of all ballparks available in theme leagues: http://whatifsports.com/mlb-l/ballparks.asp?lid=1  If you're used to OLs, theme leagues give you a number of choices that aren't available in OLs, so it's worth taking a look.

Well, that's not too bad, right? You got 24 other players you can use… But wait... Do you hear that big slurping sound? That's the BIG suck, the coup de grace. Yet a 3rd owner will pick a franchise and a decade (00-09 is a decade, ie: 1940-1949) for your team.  Franchise must be active at least 8 years in that decade (that takes the Federal league teams, the 1880s, and the 2010s out, but leaves the 1960s Mets and 1890s Senators in, for example.)  Franchises will be defined by standards of
www.baseball-reference.com. You have to make up the rest of your team from that franchise/decade. (WHAT? I have to use 1935 Babe Ruth in Coors and fill in the team with the 1930's Senators? Yup, now you’re getting the hang of it.) Franchise / Decade combo is also exclusive. NOTE: Exclusive Player TRUMPS franchise.  Even if you've been given the 2000s Yankees, if someone has Jeter as an exclusive, you can't use him to build your team. This can lead to very interesting situations.

Why would anyone agree to this type of abuse? Well, you get to dish it out as well as take it. YOU will pick someone else’s year for their exclusive player. YOU will pick someone else’s stadium. And YOU will pick someone else's franchise/decade combination.

Here's the deal....

As commish, I will be owner #1....The next person to sign up will be owner #2, etc. As you will see, there is really no advantage to my going first, and in fact there may be a disadvantage.

Owner 1 will select his exclusive player....(eventually, he will draft stadiums, years, and franchises for the last few teams)

Then owner two signs up.
He selects his exclusive player at sign up
He selects the year for owner 1's exclusive player (eventually, he will draft stadiums and franchises for the last 2 teams)

Then owner 3 signs up
He selects the year for owner 2's exclusive player
He selects a stadium for owner 1
(eventually he will select a franchise for the last team)

Then owner 4 signs up
He selects the year for owner 3's exclusive player
He selects a stadium for owner 2
He selects a franchise/decade for owner 1 to complete his team. Owner 1 now knows exactly how screwed he is

And so on....

Got it?

CLARIFICATION: When you select a season for another owner's exclusive player, you are selecting just that, a SEASON.  If the player was traded during that season and therefore has multiple partial/combined versions, it is up to the original owner which version he wants to use.

One other condition... In the event that someone either colludes or just doesn't get the concept (i.e. I draft Greg Maddux, someone gives me 1994, and someone else gives me the 20's yankees to fill my team from....) then a screwing can be overruled by the COMMISH (me) + 4 other owners. If 5 people think something funny is going on, it just might be. I expect people to play in the spirit of the theme, but just in case, we'll have this rule that I hope we never have to use.

Here's the other rules
- No AAA, No WW, No trades, No DH, No Clones, no live play
- injuries on
- Random realignment
- $80m cap but it won't play that high if we're doing things correctly.

Wailing, whining, complaining, trash talk, and threats are welcome in the league forum.

You in?  If so, please sign up here, but please only sign up if you are really, truly, definitely 100% in…the way this is set up, it is a royal pain in the Brian Asselstine if someone drops out midway through the signups.

NOTE: In the event a team wins enough games to make the playoffs, but their exclusive player doesn't match/exceed the PA/162 or IP/162, the forfeited playoff spot will go to the next team in the wildcard. (most wins not already in the playoffs). Tiebreaker will be Expected Winning Percentage as found in the advanced standings…so a small but important incentive for no one to play silly games with fatigued players.  In the extremely unlikely event that we still have a tie, we will use random.org to decide the winner.

5/10/2015 5:53 PM (edited)

Number Owner Exclusive Player Year Must Get Park Franchise/Decade Key Players Can't Use:
1 contrarian23 Kirby Puckett 1985 744 PA Coors 30-39 Browns  
2 fatboydad54 Will Clark 1993 567 PA Mile High 50-59 Athletics  
3 finn2030 Bob Johnson 1945 624 PA Hilltop 61-69 Angels  
4 schwarze Mike Griffin 1897 782 PA Kingdome 80-89 Padres Gwynn
5 jfranco77 Eddie Plank 1914 198 IP Baker Bowl 00-09 Rays  
6 trentonjoe Kid Nichols 1894 500 IP Fenway 91-99 Senators  
7 rickysdad44 Tony Gwynn 2001 112 PA Wrigley (LA) 60-69 Athletics  
8 ArlenWilliam Ed Reulbach 1912 183 IP Sicks 01-09 Senators  
9 frazzman80 Lou Gehrig 1931 782 PA Safeco 40-49 Phillies  
10 reddtrain Christy Mathewson 1915 199 IP Memorial (LA) 80-89 Mariners  
11 fire13 Jackie Robinson 1955 413 PA Ameriquest 50-59 Cubs  
12 razorclams Brooks Robinson 1975 550 PA POTF 70-79 Expos  
13 uncleal Robinson Cano 2008 634 PA Jarry 20-29 Red Sox  
14 tridentric Joe DiMaggio 1951 508 PA PNC 10-19 Athletics Plank, Collins
15 Big_T Larry Walker 1990 478 PA AFCS 40-49 Reds  
16 eastvanmungo Dom DiMaggio 1948 791 PA Redland 20-29 Braves  
17 scruffy308 Hugh Duffy 1896 744 PA South Side Park 3 20-29 White Sox Jackson, Collins
18 RWHAY Miguel Cabrera 2003 346 PA Yankee 3 2000-09 Pirates  
19 jpccr Eddie Collins 1908 386 PA OPACY 2000-09 Reds  
20 bandits5 Joe McGinnity 1908 196 IP Great American 50-59 Pirates  
21 odalisgagne Joe Jackson 1918 102 PA Orioles Park 4 00-09 Royals  
22 techmobo Mickey Mantle 1951 407 PA Griffith 30-39 Phillies  
23 redwingscup Wade Boggs 1992 598 PA Petco 30-39 Braves  
24 rmarsh915 Rod Carew 1970 204 PA Busch 2 20-29 Phillies  

Sitemail list: contrarian23; fatboydad54; finn2030; schwarze; jfranco77; trentonjoe; rickysdad44; ArlenWilliam; frazzman80; reddtrain; fire13; razorclams; tridentric; uncleal; Big_T; eastvanmungo; scruffy308; RWHAY; jpccr; bandits5; odalisgagne; techmobo; redwingscup; rmarsh915

5/12/2015 2:55 PM (edited)
As you can see, I've selected Kirby Puckett as my exclusive player.

Now, who wants to sign up and begin the screwing?
5/8/2015 5:49 PM
First off I do remember this league and I was definitely in it. I was screwed royally by either finn2030 or jfranco77. I can't remember which.

Secondly, you have a very warped sense of what is fun. I also remember the guy I tried to screw over eventually won the whole darn thing. Not fun.

Thirdly, I wouldn't miss this for the world.

Lastly, Kirby Puckett was a very good choice that I hope comes back to bite you in the *** when you try to reach 744 PA' s for 1985 Kirby.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I will take Will "the Thrill" Clark as my exclusive.
5/8/2015 7:30 PM
Mike beat me to the punch - I had '85 Puckett as my guy last time and was set to give em to the commish...

My pick is 30's-40's OF Bob Johnson

Mike will play with 1993 Will Clark

Commish will play in... Coors Field of coors.

5/8/2015 7:38 PM
You guys suck.

But at least I may have a fighting chance of getting Puck those PAs in Coors.

Welcome gentlemen!

And a clarification, in case it becomes relevant.  If an owner is assigned a year for his exclusive player in which that player was traded (and therefore has multiple partial/combined seasons), the original owner who chose him can decide which version he wants to use.  In other words, you are assigning the original owner a SEASON, not a VERSION.
5/8/2015 7:42 PM
I'm in.

Mike Griffin

1945 Bob Johnson
Mile High Stadium
Franchise: 1930's St. Louis Browns
5/8/2015 8:56 PM (edited)
I'm in. 

My player will be Eddie Plank. I'll go figure out the rest in a couple minutes. 
5/8/2015 8:42 PM
OK, I'm going to be extra devious, and hope for the best. I'm going to give Schwarze Mike Griffin's 1897 season which is 782 PAs. Gee, I hope nothing happens to make that difficult. 

I'm going to have to wait to give finn his park until I know which decade schwarze is giving him. 

And I'll give fatboydad the joy that is the 1950s KC Athletics
5/8/2015 8:55 PM
I updated my post.  1930's Browns
5/8/2015 8:58 PM
jfranco, finn's franchise/decade will be assigned by the next owner (owner #6), so you should assign him a park first.
5/8/2015 8:58 PM
Posted by schwarze on 5/8/2015 8:58:00 PM (view original):
I updated my post.  1930's Browns
I just knew that was coming....

5/8/2015 8:59 PM
Posted by contrarian23 on 5/8/2015 8:58:00 PM (view original):
jfranco, finn's franchise/decade will be assigned by the next owner (owner #6), so you should assign him a park first.
Oops, my bad. I'm going to give out Hilltop as my assignment. 
5/8/2015 9:01 PM
Damn...those 1930s Browns pitchers are brutal....
5/8/2015 9:19 PM

The Browns averaged 58 wins per season.

5/8/2015 9:24 PM
1|2|3...9 Next ▸
biglenr tribute league #2 - you'll love it (FULL!) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.