Division II Blog Season 97 Topic

This thread has overtaken my anticipation of the GDReports ratings as the best part of the game.
5/9/2015 9:37 PM
I can honestly say that the best thing gd has going for it is the users. People who are putting in their own time to make this game more entertaining for the rest of us. Dachman you get huge kudos imo. Besides sucking up a little might help my status go up to a lock.
5/9/2015 10:54 PM

This was an almost boringly uneventful day in bubble terms. Quite a few teams killed their margins of error, but almost all of those teams actually had some margin of error.

CIAA

Sadly enough things will be boring until the CCG: only two teams will make it in.

Lock: NCCU (11-0), Virginia State (10-2)

GLIAC:

Wayne State lost to Ferris State and is now off the board.

Locks:

Ferris State (10-2, WIS: 8, SOS: 10): All sorrows should be gone by now.

Should be in:

Work left to do:

Saginaw Valley State (11-1, WIS: 26, SOS: 136): Finally a good helpful MOV, although against horrible competition. Probably, but not certainly, can afford losing in the CCG.

Need help:

Findlay (8-4, WIS: 41, SOS: 49): Findlays new coach inherited a tough schedule, one his team wasn’t quite ready for. Only one chance to drop one and no chances to really impress the committee. I think they’ll end up on the wrong side, but there is a chance I am wrong.

GSC

UCA, Delta and Valdosta are moving ever closer to the playoffs. For the others it is not looking so good, Henderson State was taken off the board.

Locks:

Central Arkansas (10-2, WIS: 10, SOS: 15). It was more the WIS ranking and the nice win vs West Georgia that got them the lock status, and not –as some rumors have it- the successful lobbying by spcbuccard.

Delta State (12-0, WIS: 19, SOS: 135): In, due to the impossibility of finishing with more than one loss..

Shoud be in:

Valdosta State (11-1, WIS: 19, SOS: 105):  Another nice win today. Despite Delta tomorrow, they should be safe.

Work to do:

West Georgia (9-3, WIS: 33, SOS: 67): With the loss to UCA, West Georgia is likely to spend the rest of the season square on the bubble. If the bubble were not as soft as it is, there chances would be below 50%,

LSC

The semifinals ended with the traditional winners. But playoff wise the conference is still probable to get 4 bids.

Locks:

SE Oklahoma Durant (11-1), Central Oklahoma (11-1)

Should be in:

Abilene Christian (10-2, WIS: 13, SOS: 17): Should be fine, even with an additional loss or two.

Work left to do:

Texas A&M Commerce (9-3, WIS: 32, SOS: 43):  Currently keeping serve, and as long as they don’t lose tomorrow, things are more than 50% to end well, but there will be shivering until the end. TAMC was burnt badly last season (missing the playoffs as 32nd due to a bid stealer.

MIAA

It may not be visible to everyone, but the conference IS improving and developing depth. The first upset of NMSU means that maybe there may be two or even three teams making the playoffs. WB Topeka got taken off the boards, and will come back tomorrow as a potential bid stealer

Should be in:

NW Missouri State (11-1, WIS: 18, SOS: 91): Are most likely in, as if they lose tomorrow, they will not get an opportunity at losing again before the playoffs, and it would likely take two more bad games for them to miss it.  

Work left to do:

Truman State (9-3, WIS: 37, SOS: 74): A win over Pittsburg State tomorrow allows them to win the division. With WB Topeka on the other side there is also a fair shot at winning the whole conference. Winning the conference outright remains the only really safe way to get in as another loss is likely not sustainable.

Potential Bid stealers:

Washburn-Topeka (9-3, WIS: 54 SOS: 144): Only here as a potential bid stealer in the final. With todays loss, there is no way WBT would get an at-large

NCC

Maybe if St. Cloud could sneak in, this conference could finally be more than one bid.

Locks:

Humboldt State (12-0)

Work to do:

St. Cloud State (9-3, WIS: 34, SOS: 65): Really helped their MOV today again. It is hard to predict whether even ending up being 10-4 would leave them on the wrong side. I’d still say yes, but it does not necessarily have to.

NE-10

Things are getting better for the league, but it still looks like a two bid league at best.

Bryant (11-1, WIS: 9, SOS: 44): The W over Long Island removed the doubts.

Work to do:

Need help to get an at large:

Long Island (8-4, WIS: 39, SOS: 50): It was a tough game, but it was a loss to Bryant. It is not totally certain that a win tomorrow is too little too late, but it is not looking particularly good.

Potential Bid stealers:

Stonehill (9-3, WIS: 42, SOS: 106): Need to win the conference, as 10-4 is not going to be good enough with what is left on the schedule. Might still get into the top 32 with winning the conference though.

NSIC

The south division races is pretty much over already. But the question of whether there will be 1 or up to three teams remains.

Locks:

Minnesota Crookston (11-1).

Work left to do:

Northern State (9-3, WIS: 30, SOS: 47): Remain in the souths drivers seat. Losing in the CCG would likely leave them square on the bubble. Winning the conference is the safe play.

West Virginia State (9-3, WIS: 29, SOS: 34): A case example, of how winning the division is not necessarily always advantegous, as they are actually in the slightly better position than Northern. While things probably end up well if WVSC wins out, the likely decreasing SOS is sure to keep them sweating, and that sweating is becoming more and more real.

PSAC

Slippery Rock will represent the west, but the easts representant comes down to the last day., and the game between east Stroudsburg and Kutztown, which managed to turn the game vs Millersville today. My guess at how many teams make it in is currently 5.

Locks:

Slippery Rock (11-1), Millersville (8-4)

Edinboro (9-2, WIS: 15, SOS: 16): Just playing for seeding tomorrow.

Should be in:

Work left to do:

East Stroudsburg (10-2, WIS: 27, SOS: 111): Although I think that despite todays loss to the best 3-8 team in Division II, things are likely to be fine, I had to move them down because the drop in the WIS ranking was more than I would have anticipated. Still, todays loss did not even cost them a chance at the conference championship.

Kutztown (11-1, WIS: 25, SOS: 132): Kutztwon managed to turn around the game vs Millersville, and that might also have turned around their playoff and conference chances. Their SOS is still as horrible as it can be in the PSAC, and nobody canguarantee, that a loss tomorrow would leave them in, but I would be cautiously optimistic. On top of this, they can outright win the division and thereby remove any doubt.

Indiana (9-3, WIS: 31, SOS: 37): Easily avoided disaster today. But will be on the bubble (probably bad side) unless they upset Slippery Rock tomorrow.

California (6-6, WIS: 38, SOS: 4):  No shame in losing to Slippery Rock by itself. But California probably would have had to take the opportunity to beat them in order to make its way back into the field.

RMAC

When I get down to the tenth conference, I am always happy that the RMAC is a fast story. 2 Bids, no questions.

Lock:

Western State (12-0), Colorado Mines (12-0):

SAC

The SAC is one of my favorite conferences, since there are always so many hard to predict games around.  Could a SIM win the conference for a second time in a row? Seeing as how Newberry has slayn potential at large teams lately, one cannot exclude that Mars Hill could do it again.

Locks:

Should be in:

Glennville (11-1, WIS: 20, SOS: 113): Things ought to end ok. That said, I might have to move them down to work to do, if WVIT beats them tomorrow.

Carson-Newman (10-2, WIS: 23, SOS: 62): Should be ok, particularly as there is only one game left.

Work to do:

Lenoir-Rhyne (9-3, WIS: 28, SOS: 42): A W over Newberry would have bought certainty, but that was not to be. Now they need to avoid an upset tomorrow, and then there will remain some sweating, although things likely will be ok.

Mars Hill (9-3, WIS: 24, SOS: 21): Things are starting to look better for Mars Hill, right now I am startuign to suspect that a loss in the CCG would be sustainable.

Newberry (7-4, WIS: 35, SOS: 14): Two days ago Newberry wasn’t on the board, now they are pushing for a spot. I don’t think it will happen, but at least this Sim is in shouting distance.

SIAC

The playoff teams will likely be the same as always. It is clear now, that Quincy will be in the final, to try and repeat a third time.

Locks:

Quincy (12-0), Kentucky State (10-2)

Should be in:

Work to do:

Lane (9-3, WIS: 22, SOS: 19): Just need to keep serve vs the SIMs left on the schedule

Kentucky Wesleyan (10-2, WIS: 36, SOS: 99): Would have to upset Lane, which would probably propel them into the field.

5/10/2015 5:24 PM
Day 13

As one could expect on day 13: teams who did not make the hoped for move up the WIS rankings were moved down or off the board, since time is running out, or already has.

Overall situation:

Locks: 21, Should be in: 5, Work to do: 9, Need help for at large: 3, Need autobid: 3

Championship Games previews:

North Carolina Central (13-0, 8-0) vs Virginia State (11-2, 7-1)

Seeding implications only. The first one was a 30 point game for NCCU. Bubble implications: 0%

South eastern Oklahoma Durant (12-1, 8-0) vs Abilene Christian University (11-2, 7-1)

Also only seeding implications. Second meeting this season, the first ended 41-to in SEOs favor. Bubble implications: 0%

Western State of Colorado (13-0, 8-0) vs Colorado school of Mines (13-0, 8-0).

Well somebody will incur their first loss of the season. And that team is likely to be Mines. Bubble implications: 0%

Quincy (13-0, 8-0) vs Kentucky State (11-2, 7-1).

Another game that is purely about conference supremacy and seeding. The first meeting was won 44-20 by Quincy. Bubble implications: 0%

Central Arkansas (11-2, 8-0) vs Delta State (13-0, 8-0).

Should be an interesting one. I have Delta as the favorite, but not by much. Bubble implications: 0%

Slippery Rock (12-1, 8-0) vs East Stroudsburg University of Pensilvanya (11-2, 6-2).

I guess Slippery Rock is the slight favorite here, as they haven’t gotten knocked off in conference yet. For ESUp even a loss should be sustainable playoff wise, but the doubts are not 100% gone. Bubble implications: 5%

Glennville (12-1, 7-1) vs Mars Hill (10-3, 7-1)

It was a crazy conference season, but it ends with two teams that both seem pretty safe in the final. Yet particularly Mars Hill might still have a shadow of a doubt. Personally I think the SAC coaches should have to pay everyone else a beer, if they let the same SIM win the conference for the second season in a row. Bubble implications: 7%

Ferris State (11-2, 8-0) vs Saginaw Valley State University (12-1, 8-0)

It is unlikely that much will happen if SVSU loses clearly, but not entirely impossible, thus bubble teams will root against them. Bubble implications: 20%

Minnesota- Crookston (12-1, 8-0) vs Northern State (10-3. 8-0).

Similar as in the NCC final, bubble teams will not only want Northern State to lose, but clearly please, as losing will likely put Northern square on the bubble and their MOV may decide whether they stay in or not. Bubble implications: 70%

Humboldt State (13-0, 8-0) vs St. Cloud State (10-3, 7-1)

Likely any loss will do St Cloud in, but not certainly. Thus bubble teams will not just be rooting for Humboldt State, but will want them to beat the crap out of St Cloud, so they don't get a SOS bump that would be bigger than a losses impact. With St Cloud starting day 13 in the top 32, this is the spot several teams are eyeing to move into. Bubble implications: 90%

Bryant (12-1, 8-0), vs Stonehill (10-3, 7-1).

Stonehill only gets in with a win, and I think it is fair to say that after another nice season Bryant is a solid favorite. Likely Stonehill would make the top 32, but how they would take their spot does not matter to bubble teams, who will root against them. Bubble implications: 100%

Northwest Missouri State (12-1, 7-1), vs Washburn Topeka (10-3, 7-1):

A one loss team that played zero WIS top 40 opponents, vs a potential bid stealer with more talent than wins. I have NMSU as the fave…by a few hairs. That loss to Truman did not inspire confidence. And bubble teams will be watching nervously, as Washburn would be an outright bid stealer. Bubble implications: 100%

CIAA

Finally the CCG arrives, and there is another less boring gaame. For the gerneal interest, a closer end would be preferred.

Lock: NCCU (13-0), Virginia State (11-2)

GLIAC:

Locks:

Ferris State (11-2, WIS: 8, SOS: 10).

Should be in:

Work left to do:

Saginaw Valley State (12-1, WIS: 26, SOS: 138): Second day of helping their MOVs. 2 loss teams miss the playoffs seldom, even less if they played a CCG. That said it happens, and SVSUs resume is close to being in the range where that can happen. Part of that is not on them, but on the conference.

Need help:

Findlay (9-4, WIS: 38, SOS: 41): Did what they could, but I they are kind of far away to make it.

GSC

Delta came back to beat Valdosta, and now Delta and UCA squaree off in the final. For the others it is not looking so good, Henderson State was taken off the board.

Locks:

Central Arkansas (11-2), Delta State (13-0):

Valdosta State (11-2, WIS: 19, SOS: 105):  Joins UCA and Delta despite the loss. And what a game between them and Delta it was. Delta mounted a comeback that ended with a TD basically in the last second.

Shoud be in:

Work to do:

West Georgia (10-3, WIS: 34, SOS: 89): It was 6-3 at the half but in the end they won almost convincingly. The SOS took a hit though, and now West Georgia is shivering, square on the bubble, thinking of what could be had they not had that horror game versus 3-10 west Alabama.  

LSC

The conference is primarily holding its breath about whether TAMC will make the playoffs this season.

Locks:

SE Oklahoma Durant (12-1), Central Oklahoma (12-1)

Abilene Christian (11-2, WIS: 11, SOS: 15): Nothing to fear here. Tomorrow is about getting better seeding for the playoffs….and the title of course

Should be in:

Work left to do:

Texas A&M Commerce (10-3, WIS: 32, SOS: 48): No upsets all season either way, leaves them smack on the bubble. I'd say things are more than 50% to end well, but there will be sweating until the end. TAMC was burnt badly last season (missing the playoffs as 32nd due to a bid stealer).

MIAA

Part of the problem of this conference was it's canibalism, which you can only afford when having a lot of OOC wins; the MIAA did not. In this sense Pittsburg State beating Truman really hurt the conference today, as nobody was left with a real shot at an at large (I took Truman State off the board). Moreover, while probably inconsequential, it did put NW Missouri back into the CCG.

Should be in:

NW Missouri State (12-1, WIS: 20, SOS: 121): Due to results elsewhere are getting a shot at the conference championship after all. A loss should be sustainable unless it is really bad and weird things happen all around. 

Work left to do:

Potential Bid stealers:

Washburn-Topeka (10-3, WIS: 54 SOS: 144): Turned todays game vs Lock haven around, but still too far away to get an at-large. But I have to say while WB Topeka is the underdog in the CCG, it is not that unlikely that they pull it off to the detriment of bubble teams everywhere.

NCC

Maybe if St. Cloud could sneak in, this conference could finally be more than one bid.

Locks:

Humboldt State (12-0)

Work to do:

St. Cloud State (10-3, WIS: 31, SOS: 60): The all deciding day has arrived, and the try at an upset will be important.  It is hard to predict whether ending up 10-4 would leave them on the wrong side. I’d still say yes, but it does not necessarily have to.

NE-10

Most likely this seasons NE 10 will be a one bid league. That is sad.

Bryant (12-1)

Work to do:

Long Island (9-4, WIS: 37, SOS: 51): Now just waiting, but it is not looking particularly good.

Potential Bid stealers:

Stonehill (10-3, WIS: 36, SOS: 99): Despite a good win today, they need to win the conference, as 10-4 is not going to be good enough. Likely to still get into the top 32 with winning the conference, not that it matters how you got your bid.

NSIC

Going into the last day and the question of whether there will be 1 or up to three teams in the playoffs remains.

Locks:

Minnesota Crookston (12-1).

Should be in:

Work left to do:

Northern State (10-3, WIS: 28, SOS: 54): Another game that was not as clear as it should have been. Losing in the CCG would likely leave them square on the bubble, potentially bad side. Winning the conference is the safe play.

West Virginia State (10-3, WIS: 30, SOS: 52): A case example, of how winning the division is not necessarily always advantegous, as they are actually in the slightly better position than Northern. That said, northern has things in its own hands, while WVSC does not. If things go wrong and there is one or two bid stealers, and a few upsets, well then they may be out of luck.

PSAC

The revenge of the Slip lord is still playng in theaters across the PSAC and in the final episode he will attack ESUP who got elected to represent the east on the last day. The over / under for how many teams make it in is currently 5,5 .

Locks:

Slippery Rock (12-1), Millersville (9-4), Edinboro (10-2)

Should be in:

East Stroudsburg (11-2, WIS: 25, SOS: 96): It was a nice win today, and due to Slippery Rocks massive record and good SOS I don’t think they’d fall far with a loss in the CCG. Unless there is massive carnage this should all end well… and there is the shot at a conference championship.

Work left to do:

Kutztown (11-2, WIS: 29, SOS: 127): Kutztown failed to put their problems to bed with todays clear loss to ESUP. Their SOS is still as horrible as it can be in the PSAC, and nobody can guarantee, that they will not be overtaken by bid stealers and weirdness of former foes, but I would be cautiously optimistic. That said, if they make it in, this is likely to be a very unlucky 8 or 7 seed for whoever draws it.

Indiana (9-4, WIS: 33, SOS: 22): That loss to SR represents a missed opportunity, despite Indiana barely falling in the WIS ranking. One Indiana may come to regret, as they are now square on the bubble, needing one or two teams currently in the top 32 to lose and drop behind them and have no bid stealers jump ahead. I’d say it really is 50-50. A very uneasy position to be in.

California (7-6, WIS: 39, SOS: 5): Too many missed opportunities. The last 8 seasons no 6 loss team made it in, and even with this SOS, they need total carnage ahead of them.

RMAC

The only conference that can still boast two undefeated teams.

Lock:

Western State (13-0), Colorado Mines (13-0):

SAC

For most conferences I can write the section at half time and will only put minor changes once the results come in. The SAC has more than once stubbornly refused to let me do this, with close at the half results and brewing upsets that sometimes come in and sometimes don't. To my surprise, this might benefit the conference, since as many as 5 teams might make the playoffs and 4 is the likely number.

Could a SIM win the conference for a second time in a row? Seeing as how Newberry has slayn potential at large teams lately, one cannot exclude that Mars Hill could do it again.

Locks:

Carson-Newman (11-2, WIS: 23, SOS: 73): the advantage of missing the CCG: you cannot fall far, and thus Carson Newman is in.

Should be in:

Glennville (12-1, WIS: 20, SOS: 118): Had to go to overtime to beat WVIT. But that W keeps things quite on the good side, and things would have to go real crazy for them to miss the playoffs.

Lenoir-Rhyne (10-3, WIS: 27, SOS: 39): Despite some less than stellar moments, there were also a numberof decentish wins, probably enough to make the playoffs.

Mars Hill (10-3, WIS: 24, SOS: 14): As the WIS ranking improved rather fast over the last few days for Mars Hill, I am starting to assume that a loss in the CCG would be sustainable.

Work to do:

Newberry (9-4, WIS: 35, SOS: 14): Did what they could do in the latter parts of the season, but I don’t think the playoffs will happen unless they go decently lucky tomorrow. That said, this SIM is still within shouting distance.

SIAC

The playoff teams will likely be the same as always. It is clear now, that Quincy will be in the final, to try and repeat a third time. Kentucky Weslyan got taken off the board today.

Locks:

Quincy (13-0), Kentucky State (11-2)

Lane (10-3, WIS: 19, SOS: 10): Shoots straight up to locks, as even though it will not be high seeding it will be the playoffs for Lane. 

5/12/2015 7:05 AM (edited)
You e got an error. Under gsc you put that Valdosta managed the upset but they lost. You corrected yourself later. Just FYI for you.
5/11/2015 8:52 PM
I have a bad feeling that I am going to get left out again.  Fingers are crossed.
5/11/2015 10:16 PM
Posted by spcbuzzard on 5/11/2015 8:52:00 PM (view original):
You e got an error. Under gsc you put that Valdosta managed the upset but they lost. You corrected yourself later. Just FYI for you.
Thanks, Corrected that. That is the kind of thing that happens when you prewrite at the half cause you don't have proper time later. And with no provereading...
5/12/2015 7:06 AM (edited)
Dashmann thanks for compiling all this it's really a great read and something I look for now daily. I don't know why I struggle with the big game matches. Even when statistically ahead and outperforming against common opponents. Only leading by a TD at the half though I have had the ball 2/3 of the half.
5/12/2015 9:22 AM
A human coach won the SAC conference championship (busarider at Glenville)!  No more making fun of us!
5/12/2015 2:41 PM
And the PSAC was won by a SIM...well...ghost captain. lol
5/12/2015 3:04 PM
Congrats on those who made the playoffs.
Like last season I am gonna make lines, and they are gonna be rather different from WISs, but I am still not gonna put in more than 10 minutes (i.e. no research)
Tip if you have an idea. And as always, I do not put lines on my own games.

North

NCCU -11.5 vs Indiana

Northwest Missouri State + 4.5 vs Abilene Chiristian

Bryant -16.5 vs Mars Hill

Ferris State -23.5 vs Lenoir Rhyne

South

Edinboro -3.5 vs central oklahoma

Central Arkansas -4.5 vs Colorado Mines

Minnesota Crookston -31.5 vs Saginaw Valley

East

Western State -26.5 vs Texas Commerce

Millersville +2.5 vs Lane

Kentucky State -5.5 vs Valdosta State

Quincy -8.5 vs Northern State

West

Slippery Rock -23.5 West Virginia State

Glenville +5.5 vs Virginia State

Delta State -10 vs Carson Newman

Humboldt State +3.5 vs East Stroudsburg

5/12/2015 5:49 PM (edited)
Humboldt and strousburg should be a good game. And I'll take the points with Texas commerce.
5/12/2015 9:48 PM
Put me down for:

North:  NCCU -11.5 / NWMS +4.5 / Bryant -16.5 / Ferris -23.5
South:  SEO-D -10.5 / Central Okla +3.5 / Central Ark -4.5 / Saginaw +31.5
East:  TA&M-Comm +26.5 / MillerTime +2.5 / Kentucky St -5.5 / Northern St +8.5
West:  Slippery Rock -23.5 / Va. St. -5.5 / Carson Newman +10 / E. Stroudsburg -3.5

Other notables:
     - Two most battle tested teams... Millersville (opp. WIS #2-L / #3-L / #4-L / #5-W) and Va. State (WIS #1-L / #1-L / #2-L / #3-W)
     - Most interesting games - Millersville vs. Lane / E. Stroudsburg vs. Humboldt State
     - Best chance of Shocking the World in Rd 1 - Kutztown / E. Stroudsburg 
     - West is hoping Va.St. can take down Slippery Rock.  Slippery Rock would crush any of the other 6 teams IMHO.  That said, Glenville will be a tough game for Va. St.
     - Brackets by Most Talent - East / North / South / West
     - My Final 3 + 1 (I won't pick my own bracket) - WSSC vs. Virginia St. (I can't bring myself to pick a SIM) / SE Oklahoma-Durant vs. +1

5/13/2015 2:15 AM
Interesting stuff orange.

There is one thing I've been wondering: Could it be that Jilin is actually back at Slippery, and is basically just trolling the rest of us by staying silent and having everyone (potentially falsely) assume he is not game planning?

5/13/2015 2:59 AM
He beat me earlier in the year with a last second fg. There's more talent on that team than on mine but he's done to well to be on autopilot.
5/13/2015 3:03 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Division II Blog Season 97 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.